PDA

View Full Version : Michael Keanes Wages

skipper_12
02/08/2008, 6:27 PM
I have just read the details of Michael Keanes sacking from St Pat's!!!!! €3250 per week!!! :eek: How on earth can the eircom league clubs afford to be paying players so much:confused: I really was SHOCKED at this figure....

Is this the normal salary for top players from each of the clubs???

Doing the maths and there is absolutely no way on this earth that the gate at games would sustain this?? Also lets say for the likes of long term absentees due to illness/injury/lack of form would these players still be taking home approx €3000 per week??

I have always wondered why so many clubs have gone to the wall but reading the details of this story it actually is simple to see why and how this has been happening.

Surely this does not make sense and there should be some sort of cap brought in?? And if not a cap may be some COMMON SENSE:p

Hopefully some of the more knowledgeable posters will be able to answer my questions Re:Salaries and can explain how the clubs manage this side of the "business".

Thanks

Skippper

Mr Maroon
02/08/2008, 6:42 PM
there should be some sort of cap brought in?
:p I think someone's thought of that already!

brianw82
02/08/2008, 6:46 PM
Are the full details online somewhere? Can you post a link if so?

I read in the Independent when the story first broke that he was on approx. 3 grand, but didn't see the full figure.

You're correct, though. Some of the wages being paid in this league are, quite frankly, ludicrous. And, as some other poster here said the last time this topic came up, the vast majority of these highly-paid players would still be playing here even if they were on vastly-reduced sums. Pats are only able to pay these monies due to Mr. Kelleher's deep pockets. There's just no way that gates ranging from 1,000-3,000 every 2 weeks can sustain those wages.

The FAI seriously need to look at this issue. The 65% cap is one thing, but individual salaries need to be addressed too. If it takes the introduction of a max wage, then so be it.

Dodge
02/08/2008, 6:47 PM
Surely this does not make sense and there should be some sort of cap brought in?? And if not a cap may be some COMMON SENSE:p

There is a cap.

Its not the usual salary

He wasn't near the highest paid player in the country

That figure is net, not gross (and included money on bonuses that he obviously didn't get due to being absent) unless you think he only paid 250 tax on 3250?

He'd be insured for illness/injury

It does not make sense. I can't see how Pats could have afforded it in the first place and be under the cap.

Longfordian
02/08/2008, 6:56 PM
That figure is net, not gross (and included money on bonuses that he obviously didn't get due to being absent) unless you think he only paid 250 tax on 3250?

Was he seriously on that much into his hand?. Whoever gave him that contract should be shot. Decent player he may be but that's all he is, even before you get onto his physical condition. He wants 100k plus legal costs from Pats according to the Indo.

Dodge
02/08/2008, 7:22 PM
****e, mixed up my net and gross there. Unforgivable error!!

He was on (a good deal less) than €3,250 GROSS. The figures I've been told indicate that €3,250 is what he could've earned with playing, goal and other bonuses GROSS

His "basic" was a good deal less 9and then tax, prsi etc had to come into it)

Still ridiculous though

skipper_12
02/08/2008, 7:25 PM
I meant Cap on individual salary I am aware that there is a cap on wages in total........

Unbelievable amount of money for Eircom league player..whould anyone know of similar situations in other clubs:confused:

Longfordian
02/08/2008, 7:32 PM
****e, mixed up my net and gross there. Unforgivable error!!

He was on (a good deal less) than €3,250 GROSS. The figures I've been told indicate that €3,250 is what he could've earned with playing, goal and other bonuses GROSS

His "basic" was a good deal less 9and then tax, prsi etc had to come into it)

Still ridiculous though

Ah, that makes a bit more sense alright!. It'll be interesting to see how much Pats end up paying him to go.

Dodge
02/08/2008, 7:32 PM
whould anyone know of similar situations in other clubs:confused:

George O'Callaghan was on way more. Joe Gamble is currently the highest paid player afaik

Caps on individual salaries won't work. The overall cap should

brianw82
02/08/2008, 7:45 PM
Joe Gamble is currently the highest paid player afaik

Gamble was apparantly on €800 a week before he signed his new contract. I don't know if that was net or gross. What's he on now?

DRDoc
02/08/2008, 10:52 PM
Are the full details online somewhere? Can you post a link if so?

Heres a story on it - doesnt speculate on the wage amount though

from - http://extratime.ie/newsdesk/articles/679/

Pats face big fat payout
2008-08-02 19:45:43
By Bar OSullivan

The Eircom League Disputes Resolution Committee have judged that St Patrick's Athletic were in the wrong when the recently sacked midfielder Michael Keane.

Keane, signed from Rotherham last summer, was sacked on July 10th for being overweight. Failing to meet a target weight level, decided on by the club, was the reason given for the dismissal.

The Inchicore club argued that the player was not fit enough to fully perform the duties of his contract, however the Committee, after being furnished with scientific evidence to the contrary, came to the conclusion that Pats had terminated Keane's contract without just cause.

The Committee did not make any decision regarding costs or damages, they instead asked both parties to discuss the issue, or return to the Committee at a later date. St Pats have not ruled out appealing against the decision.

The Professional Footballers Association of Ireland (PFAI), along with their legal team, represented Keane at the hearing. The player himself was not available for comment, however PFAI General Secretary Stephen McGuinness, last night confirmed to extratime.ie that Keane was happy with the ruling, felt that the committee came to the correct conclusions, and was hoping to get back to playing football as soon as possible.

Sheridan
02/08/2008, 11:09 PM
The €3,250 sum is mentioned here: http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/saints-the-sinners-in-keane-sacking-1445224.html

Dodge
03/08/2008, 12:39 AM
and Bar O'Keefe just took most of it from there...

Schumi
05/08/2008, 10:45 AM
Gamble was apparantly on €800 a week before he signed his new contract. I don't know if that was net or gross. What's he on now?Emmet Malone's piece in today's Times claims that Pats offered him €4k (doesn't say whether that's net or gross but says separately that most wages are quoted net) but he stayed with Cork for less.

Dodge
05/08/2008, 10:59 AM
Well I van tell you pats offered no where near 4k, but that Cork matched pats offer. I had a bit of an "in" with that deal

charliesboots
05/08/2008, 11:00 AM
The wages consistently quoted in news articles are generally gross wages plus bonuses plus extras.

i.e If a player is given a car as part of a four year contract they take the value of the car and divide it by 208 weeks and add that amount to the gross figure. Same with rent.

Gambles gross salary had he signed for Pats would have been nowhere near €4k a week, same as Keane's were nowhere near €3.25k a week.

Schumi
05/08/2008, 11:06 AM
Do you mean that his gross wages + freebies + max possible bonuses would average €4k per week?

Longfordian
05/08/2008, 11:20 AM
The wages consistently quoted in news articles are generally gross wages plus bonuses plus extras.

i.e If a player is given a car as part of a four year contract they take the value of the car and divide it by 208 weeks and add that amount to the gross figure. Same with rent.

Gambles gross salary had he signed for Pats would have been nowhere near €4k a week, same as Keane's were nowhere near €3.25k a week.

The figure quoted should take account of things like car and rent if Pats are providing for them, they're a benefit in kind and are taxable are they not?

charliesboots
05/08/2008, 11:26 AM
Do you mean that his gross wages + freebies + max possible bonuses would average €4k per week?

I'm saying that's how they come up with the figures. Here's a hypothetical example.

Lets say a player is on basic €130k a year = €2,500 a week
He's on a €10k bonus for winning the league = €192.30 a week
He's on a play bonus of €75 a game = €75 a week
He gets a €20k car on 3 year contract = €130 a week
He's given a house, avg rent would be €1600 a month = €400 a week.

Add it all up and its €3,297.30, that's enough for a hack to jump to €3.5 k a week or even €4k when the take home pay for the player could be about €1700 a week.

Its still a lot to be paying a player particularly with the extras (which the clubs get cheaper than what they're valued at a lot of time).

charliesboots
05/08/2008, 11:27 AM
The figure quoted should take account of things like car and rent if Pats are providing for them, they're a benefit in kind and are taxable are they not?

Yep they are but afaik (and i'm no tax expert) the player would be liable for paying the benefit in kind.

I'm also saying having the use of the car is probably estimates at €x per month whereas people when compiling these estimate figures say, oh, he's got a VW Golf. That's €28k or whatever, stick it in the overall gross amount, divide, and get a weekly figure.

Longfordian
05/08/2008, 11:47 AM
I take your point alright the player is liable for the BIK, I was just pointing out that some people, not so much you in that post, tend not to factor in these things when talking about a player's wages. They should be really thinking about his cost to the club. Either way there was a pretty big incentive to be trying to get rid of him.

charliesboots
05/08/2008, 12:39 PM
I take your point alright the player is liable for the BIK, I was just pointing out that some people, not so much you in that post, tend not to factor in these things when talking about a player's wages. They should be really thinking about his cost to the club. Either way there was a pretty big incentive to be trying to get rid of him.

pretty big alright :D

higgins
05/08/2008, 12:55 PM
Even allowing for the car and the rent and the tax he has to pay as BIK, the cost to Pats looks to be on the 2500+ side ?

Massive money for the eircom League!

However, IF you have a backer who is willing to write off large amounts of cash to pay the wages then I don't see the problem. The 65% rule will be enough to safeguard the future of the clubs as that money going across to Pats CAN'T be as a loan so if someone is silly enough to pay Keane 3K a week then that's his problem.

It does drive up wages around the rest of the league but nothing forcing everyone to pay them.

The most shocking thing to me is why Pats don't have a stronger team with those wages at the club!! A lot of average Joes in that side in my opinion.

Is there value for money at Pats?

Dodge
05/08/2008, 1:08 PM
The most shocking thing to me is why Pats don't have a stronger team with those wages at the club!! A lot of average Joes in that side in my opinion.

Every team needs "ordinary joes", and of course they are paid likewise.

pete
05/08/2008, 1:52 PM
Could Pats loan him out to Leinster as a reserve prop? Could they argue he was signed as a rugby footballer?

higgins
05/08/2008, 2:02 PM
Well Pats are reported to be paying wages at around 125% of what Shels were paying back in 2005 or 2006.
I know which team I'd prefer! and even at that we were throwing money at players that didn't even make the bench for 90% of the season.

Dodge
05/08/2008, 2:07 PM
Well Pats are reported to be paying wages at around 125% of what Shels were paying back in 2005 or 2006
Reported. I wouldn't believe all that was reported back then, and certainly don't now.

BTW his payoff would be cased on loss of earnings so if he signed for some one else, he wouldn't get full wages. A once off settlement is likely