PDA

View Full Version : Brian Kerr has alot to learn

carnstein
07/09/2003, 11:23 AM
Ireland have a limited number of top class players to choose from, maybe 8 or 9 at best and the most important one is retired from international football. When you have a limited number of good players to choose from, why, oh why, would you leave one of them on the bench?

Stephen Carr played right back for Ireland yesterday, Steve Finnan's posistion, but leaving Finnan on the bench when he could have easily been accomadated at right midfield or left back, to the expence of Breen or Carsley, was an shocking decision. He wasn't even brought on at any stage. My conclustion is that, Brian Kerr, while you have got a couple of lucky results, you have alot to learn.

brine2
07/09/2003, 11:31 AM
Steve Finnan is still recovering from a hernia operation, while Carsley was fully fit.

Although I would have gambled and played Finnan, Kerr's decision is understandable.

carnstein
07/09/2003, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by brine2
Steve Finnan is still recovering from a hernia operation, while Carsley was fully fit.

Although I would have gambled and played Finnan, Kerr's decision is understandable.
Finnan played for Liverpool against Everton. He is fit.

Carsley on the other hand has had one hour of reserve football this season.

Breen could have been sarcraficed too though. If O'Shea played at centre back Finnan could have slotted in at left back, one way or another he should have been in the team.

Cityace
07/09/2003, 1:59 PM
The only thing he has to learn is that lee bloody carsley doesnt deserve to get on lourdes celtic U-5's team.

gspain
07/09/2003, 2:40 PM
I think our problems are in centre midfield - no creativity.

Carsley was unfit but had done well in previous Internationals - not sure re Finnan on the right side of midfield - Reid would have been my choice but he was poor too in the 2nd half.

Need a draw on wed in Moscow and win in Basle to win the group - simple eh.......

I'd give McPhail 90 minutes on Tuesday and he might be worth a gamble in Basle if he has a good few weeks at Forest - we need some creativity.

thecorner
08/09/2003, 12:55 AM
everyone gave the thumbs up at the star to kerr. i was dissappointed with his appointment

his first real test and he failed

1.colin healy-good player and i could be a fan but how many minutes has he played this season
2. lee carsley-need i say anymore
3.gary dohery-chasing a game, not he best to bring on, connolly flying with hammers and he brings on doherty

must take my hat off though to kilbane
great game and surprised a lot of us

but for kerr, he has yet to impress
all these meaningless friendlies were easy
when the going got tough, the "tough" didnt

colster
08/09/2003, 9:45 AM
We get a draw because of a lack of creativity in midfield and penetration up front and the solution to the problem is to play a full back on the wing!! Give me a break!!

Carsley has done a very good job for us in the last few games. He deserved his place on Saturday. It didn't work out but hindisght is always 20:20.

At the end of the day I thought we did quite well against a team who had 10 men behind the ball for most of the game. Bar one defensive mistake we would have got a win.

SeanieBoy
08/09/2003, 10:05 AM
My conclustion is that, Brian Kerr, while you have got a couple of lucky results, you have alot to learn. [/B][/QUOTE]

I find that to be a load of ****e, we lost our first 2 games & everyone thought we were out of it, he is unbeaten in 8 games & have given us the chance to get to Portugal, I think he is doing a great job with the limited resources at his disposal.

Macy
08/09/2003, 10:10 AM
Have to agree with Colster - Finnan is not a creative midfielder....

Hard to see what else we really could've done, bar Doherty and Morrison upfront with Duff back out on the wing? Probably would've been my choice. Connolly has tried and failed at international level for so long (despite excellent club form) that I really don't he's an option anymore (personally I don't see why he's still picked).

IMO opinion too many people didn't perform up to the standard they have the last few games.... Carsley and Healy especially and Reid to a lesser extent (lesser extent as he wasn't coming off a few very good games for Ireland).... Going forward it was unfortunate that O'Shea had to go off, as he definitely gives more options than Harte...

Before the game the only question mark I had was playing Duff up front - in hindsight it's very easy to query selections, but even after the match I don't see many suggestions that will slove the midfield problem!!!!

btw those querying Kerr's appointment: are you England fans in disguise? One disappointing result, that still leaves us with a good chance of qualifying and he's done nothing!?! Do you forget where we were when he came in?

pete
08/09/2003, 10:50 AM
Must say i was surprised with Carsley starting on the right but rest of the team was fairly predictable bar moving Duff to the (right) wing & Doherty up front.

Given - 1st choice keeper, maybe at fault for the goal but feck all else to do.
Carr - our best right back, average game.
O'Shea - IMO our best option at left back.
Cunningham/Breen - best central defensive partnership, whatever people think of Breen his performances for Ireland can hardly be faulted.
Carsley - didn't get into the game but apparently subbed cos injured, debatable selection.
Holland - ok performance, did what expected of him.
Healy - maybe bit of a gamble, should improve with match fitness, only other option in Kinsella has prpbably seen less football action this season.
Kilbane - MOTM, performance totally justified his selection, could have got a couple of Russian sent off. Would have got crosses in if not hacked down everytime. Dunno how no.3 stayed on the pitch.
Duff - gamble playing him up front didn't work but Kerr had few options.
Morrisson - expect more, very disappointing, often failed to the hold the ball up, won barley any headers & rarely threatened.

Harte - distribution poor & caught out defensively a few times. should have done better with freekicks & corners.
Reid - muck. failed to cross when in good position, always passed without taking responsibility & just stood at the halfway line when we badly needed the fresh legged sub to run forward with the ball for position.
Doherty - should have come on earlier, held the ball up fairly well & distribution good. No real chances in the box.

Ireland had too many subs unusable for a competitive game - Lee, Connolly, McPhail & Quinn. All that was left was Kinsella (little first team football), O'Brien (no use in this game) & Finnan (Carr is better right back & don't think he a midfielder)

I think Finnan was overlooked for midfield cos was poor in Oz game in that position.

I hindsight maybe should have satrted with Duff on right wing, Doherty up front & Kinsella in midfield.