PDA

View Full Version : Shelbourne: where have all the fans gone?

Counting Crow
07/09/2003, 9:09 AM
Great post on the Shells website titled "where have all our fans gone?".

Has anyone told them that they didn't have many in the first place.
They talk about being top of the League with games in hand etc, etc "so why is there no one turning up?"

How the hell do they manage to pay their players so much money? They must have some top drawer sponsorship. Surely Dulux aren't paying for all those wages!!

Yet for any sponsor, the exposure City would give them is far and away better than Shells.

Expect to see a mass exodus from Tolka at the end of the season......wonder where Ollie £. will go now?

The funny thing about the post on the Shells website is that only 4 people replied............!

Cityace
07/09/2003, 1:41 PM
Originally posted by Counting Crow
Has anyone told them that they didn't have many in the first place.

The "fans" they are probably on about are the barstoolers that turned up for there sh!tty Dublin tournament.

If any shels fans read this, they were there for the english teams, not ye.And the fact that ye lost has engraved the fact into they're minds that ye are not as good as them so they wont show up again.

ccfc till i die
07/09/2003, 3:50 PM
The reason they can pay for their team without any fans is their chairman Ollie Byrne. He's ****in loaded.

Dodge
08/09/2003, 8:46 AM
To be fair, Shels are the best run lcub in Ireland. The bar profits alone would keep most clubs going. Add in a committee that work their collective socks off selling tickets to every draw imaginable, renting out Tolka for cup finals/internationals etc.

Ollie's a complete w anker and their kid fans are VERY annoying but the club makes money, they have the best stadium in Ireland and they're top of the league.

Shame really...

Peadar
08/09/2003, 9:08 AM
Originally posted by Dodge
To be fair, Shels are the best run lcub in Ireland

They work hard alright and every game is well advertised.
Ollie B is a horrible man but he's great for Shels and doesn't pull his punches when he's standing up for them.
All good if you're a Shels fan, not so good for the rest of us.

they have the best stadium in Ireland

I really think the've neglected the ground.
So many broken and rusting seats.
The ground is dangerous when full due to the difficulty in getting everyone out safely and quickly.

pete
08/09/2003, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by Peadar
I really think the've neglected the ground.
So many broken and rusting seats.
The ground is dangerous when full due to the difficulty in getting everyone out safely and quickly.

Should be interesting to see how Tolka gets on with the Uefa licencing. I know they rarely have any support in the Riverside but with only entrances/exits at one side of the ground could be very dangerous if there was a fire in the Riverside stand. It may also have problems with the advertising hordings too close the playing area...?

Tolka looks good enough on tv but doesn't meet the expectations when you visit there for the first time.

ccfcman
08/09/2003, 10:26 AM
they have the best stadium in Ireland
no they dont its in ruins in parts

Dodge
08/09/2003, 11:20 AM
But so is every other ground in Ireland.

Look at the contenders

turner's cross has the shed so immediately disqualified
Flancare - absolutely no cover, mould on the seats...

Nah Tolka's still the best

b_mcsweeney
08/09/2003, 11:42 AM
shels are undoubtedly tops when it comes to advertising their games. they have billboards up around town and around drumcondra/fairview advertising all their fixtures, and they generally include the next 3-4 homes games after that as well down at the bottom. as far as i know, they're the only club that does this (i've not seen any of the other dub teams or city doing it). tolka park isn't that great, in a world sense, but by LoI standards is clearly the best. the cross could possibly rival it, if/when they redevelop the shed (will have to wait and see how that turns out. tolka would still likely have a higher capacity mind you. ollie byrne is a complete jerk, but i guess you can't argue but that he does decent work for his club and seems prepared to put the bucks in.

Peadar
08/09/2003, 12:02 PM
turner's cross has the shed so immediately disqualified

So when our "new shed" is built, we'll be tops...

Dodge
08/09/2003, 12:12 PM
No, you'll just be be back in the running :D

Peadar
08/09/2003, 2:12 PM
you'll just be be back in the running :D

Will Pats ever be in the running?
Hardly!
Worst ground in the League?
Richmond Park.

Dodge
08/09/2003, 2:29 PM
Now now, don’t be getting touchy…

Richmond’s OK and when the new stand is open it’ll be up there with the best of them

SÓC
08/09/2003, 2:39 PM
Richmound is grand as a stadium, jacks are shocking tho but what makes it IMO one of the worse places to visit is the "security" at the place. Chuck Norris doesnt have a clue and the stewards who are there are nearly as bad. Add to this the little 10 year olds spitting on flags, throwing stuff etc.
AFAIK City, Drogs and Bohs (and more than likely even more clubs) dont allow young scuts into the ground unaccompanied.

If Pats got rid of Chuck, that PA guy:o :o :o and the junior junkies then they might be in the running after they build their stand

pete
08/09/2003, 2:42 PM
Richmond’s OK and when the new stand is open it’ll be up there with the best of them

That new Richmond stand has been in the running longer than the Rovers ground in Tallaght...

Dodge
08/09/2003, 3:17 PM
In fairness we only got Planning permission a couple of months ago. Building should start within a month

For more info http://www.stpatsfc.com/stadium.htm

Schumi
08/09/2003, 4:12 PM
Originally posted by SÓCcfc
Richmound is grand as a stadium, jacks are shocking tho but what makes it IMO one of the worse places to visit is ... the little 10 year olds spitting on flags, throwing stuff etc. Spot on. Richmond is an OK stadium (although the seats don't have much leg room) and any proper Pats fans I've met have been grand but the kids would really put you off going there.