PDA

View Full Version : Stephen Gerrard

NeilMcD
30/07/2008, 3:09 PM
I think they have no position now for Gerrard to be honest. As he does not have the discipline or ablility to play as a classic central midfield player. He is tactially poor and does not know how to control a game. It will be interesting to see what Benitez does with him. He may put him back right where he had his best season for Liverpool the season before last.

drinkfeckarse
30/07/2008, 3:27 PM
I'm sure messrs Benitez and Capello have taken your comments on board Neil...

tetsujin1979
30/07/2008, 4:21 PM
I think they have no position now for Gerrard to be honest. As he does not have the discipline or ablility to play as a classic central midfield player. He is tactially poor and does not know how to control a game. It will be interesting to see what Benitez does with him. He may put him back right where he had his best season for Liverpool the season before last.
There;s no way Benitez is going to drop his captain.
At worst he'll be moved out of central midfield

Emmet
30/07/2008, 6:15 PM
I think they have no position now for Gerrard to be honest. As he does not have the discipline or ablility to play as a classic central midfield player. He is tactially poor and does not know how to control a game.
Is that a serious post ???

Razors left peg
30/07/2008, 6:17 PM
Is that a serious post ???

I agree with Neil, Gerrard is a fantastic footballer but Neils points are fair

Emmet
30/07/2008, 6:19 PM
Steven Gerrard lacks ability and cannot control a game ... nope, sorry. That's bull****!

Razors left peg
30/07/2008, 6:28 PM
Steven Gerrard lacks ability and cannot control a game ... nope, sorry. That's bull****!

Its so much bull**** that his own manager doesnt play him as a classic central midfielder!!

SkStu
30/07/2008, 6:32 PM
Neils points are valid - though Gerrard is a vital part of that Liverpool team, he is not, never has been and never will be capable of regularly controlling a game against anything other than low end premiership teams. Its proven.

Emmet
30/07/2008, 6:42 PM
Its so much bull**** that his own manager doesnt play him as a classic central midfielder!!

What does 'Classic Central midfield' even mean? Centre midfield is when you play in the middle of the pitch - just because the word 'classic' is put before it changes nothing! Gerrard's versatility (which comes as a result of having ability to play the game!), in the context of the modern game, is tremendous. The guy has played at right-back, left midfield, right midfield, central midfield, and upfront as a support to the main striker. He has always delivered the goods to a standard far higher than what most of his peers would produce regardless of the position. I have a feeling he has also played at Centre-back a couple of times. He has dragged Liverpool out of numerous games they would have otherwise drawn or lost (in 2005 against Olympiakos and then against Milan in the Final for instance). Alex Ferguson has gone on record as saying he would have been a perfect replacement for a certain man from Cork and if Gerrard played for any other club he'd have made a concerted effort to sign him.

Obviously, he lacks ability and can't control a game :rolleyes:

Emmet
30/07/2008, 6:43 PM
Neils points are valid - though Gerrard is a vital part of that Liverpool team, he is not, never has been and never will be capable of regularly controlling a game against anything other than low end premiership teams. Its proven.AC Milan aren't really a low-end Premiership team ;)

Emmet
30/07/2008, 6:45 PM
Put it this way - if Gerrard was Irish a lot of people here would be saying very different things about him :D

Razors left peg
30/07/2008, 7:05 PM
Put it this way - if Gerrard was Irish a lot of people here would be saying very different things about him :D

Ive already said I think he is a fantastic player, but I dont think he can control games on his own from center midfield.

eirebhoy
30/07/2008, 7:09 PM
I'd say Gerrard at age 15 and De Rossi at 15 would have been almost identical types of players. The English saw Gerrard's technical ability and played him high up the pitch to create. The Italian's saw De Rossi's energy and combativeness and turned him into a more defensive player. Not that you'd describe De Rossi as defensive. He's a complete all rounder which is what Gerrard should be.

John83
30/07/2008, 7:17 PM
I'd say Gerrard at age 15 and De Rossi at 15 would have been almost identical types of players. The English saw Gerrard's technical ability and played him high up the pitch to create. The Italian's saw De Rossi's energy and combativeness and turned him into a more defensive player. Not that you'd describe De Rossi as defensive. He's a complete all rounder which is what Gerrard should be. It means he'd score a lot less but it also means England wouldn't look so clueless when they have the ball.
When Gerrard first started playing for Liverpool's first team, there were comparisons with Keane from damn near everyone. I think his own hero complex forced him to play further and further forward so he could rescue Liverpool when a game was going against them - hence all the shooting from long range and the very direct long range passing. He's now nothing like Keane, who was a highly efficient short range passer and a shield for the defence. It means Gerrard can't play a defensive role in midfield, which is why he's been paired with Alonso and similar for Liverpool, and why he's rubbish with Lampard for England.

NeilMcD
31/07/2008, 10:58 AM

I said he lacks the ability to be a classic central midfielder. He does not have the tactical nous or discipline to control games like say Scholes does or Keane did. Why did England struggle with him and Lampard. Why does Benitez play him right sided midfield or just behind Torres. Because he does not trust him to play in the centre. But if you wanna think in a world where Jaimie Redknapp and Andy Gray are for the millionth time go on about that Gerrard has all the attributes to play centrail midfield at the top level, than fire away.

Gerrard is a top player but he is not suitable to be playing in a 2 man midfield as he is not tactially aware enough and does not appreciate the benefit of a 2 yard pass or a 5 yard pass and plays way too many Hollywood balls.

RivaldoBabb
31/07/2008, 11:26 AM
Don't get all the hype about Arshavin he's been around for years and did nothing up until winning the UEFA cup last season (the Carling Cup of European football). He had two good games in the Euros and was absolute pants in the final one. To put things into perspective Gary Breen played a stormer in at least 3 of his 4 games in the WC in 2002. Any manager would be insane to buy Arshavin for the prices being touted.

The hype surrounding him baffles me to be honest. He must have a top PR relations team.

I tend to agree with you YoungIrish, you cant hype up players because they caught the eye in a second rate European club competition or over a 3 week period at an international tournament. Karol Porborsky is another example of a player that looked world class for a couple of weeks and turned out to be a bag of s***e.

I said he lacks the ability to be a classic central midfielder. He does not have the tactical nous or discipline to control games like say Scholes does or Keane did. Why did England struggle with him and Lampard. Why does Benitez play him right sided midfield or just behind Torres. Because he does not trust him to play in the centre. But if you wanna think in a world where Jaimie Redknapp and Andy Gray are for the millionth time go on about that Gerrard has all the attributes to play centrail midfield at the top level, than fire away.

Gerrard is a top player but he is not suitable to be playing in a 2 man midfield as he is not tactially aware enough and does not appreciate the benefit of a 2 yard pass or a 5 yard pass and plays way too many Hollywood balls.

Sorry, this post is ridiculous...
You do not get a more complete midfield player than Steven Gerrard. He has it all and has been the top midfielder in the premier league since Roy Keane left Man Ure, bar none. If only he was Irish.

NeilMcD
31/07/2008, 11:48 AM
I tend to agree with you YoungIrish, you cant hype up players because they caught the eye in a second rate European club competition or over a 3 week period at an international tournament. Karol Porborsky is another example of a player that looked world class for a couple of weeks and turned out to be a bag of s***e.

Sorry, this post is ridiculous...
You do not get a more complete midfield player than Steven Gerrard. He has it all and has been the top midfielder in the premier league since Roy Keane left Man Ure, bar none. If only he was Irish.

Ha ha, more complete midfielder than Gerrard, I can name just a few that are playing now. Scholes, Xavi, Fabregas. Anyby who knows anything about controlling the tempo of a game or dictating the pace of it and playing short passes and keeping possession and wearing down the other team will realise that Gerrard is found wanting time and time again in this area, along with Lampard. Hence why England always fail at the knock out stages because they have nobody to dictate the pace and flow of the game. Gerrard is your man for the dramatic, the last minute screamer or the thunderbolt from outside the box, hence the reason he is not trusted by Benitz to play as a central midfielder but as the man behind the striker or when he scored loads of goals, out on the right wing.

Razors left peg
31/07/2008, 12:13 PM
Ha ha, more complete midfielder than Gerrard, I can name just a few that are playing now. Scholes, Xavi, Fabregas. Anyby who knows anything about controlling the tempo of a game or dictating the pace of it and playing short passes and keeping possession and wearing down the other team will realise that Gerrard is found wanting time and time again in this area, along with Lampard. Hence why England always fail at the knock out stages because they have nobody to dictate the pace and flow of the game. Gerrard is your man for the dramatic, the last minute screamer or the thunderbolt from outside the box, hence the reason he is not trusted by Benitz to play as a central midfielder but as the man behind the striker or when he scored loads of goals, out on the right wing.

Ive been getting hammered from all my Liverpool fan mates for years for saying those exact things... delighted to finally see that someone has the same opinion:D:D:D

seanfhear
31/07/2008, 12:15 PM
I thought that gerard was the real deal a few years ago but it has to be said that he does not control games as well as say roy keane.He is a better attacker than keane but I dont know if its discipline or what but he does not command midfield as well as it looked like he would a few years ago.Maybe he still can.

Metrostars
31/07/2008, 7:41 PM
Despite his occasional heriocs, he does have the tendancy to go missing in some of the big games e.g. the Man Utd game at Old Trafford last season and the CL semi.

dfx-
31/07/2008, 7:53 PM
I'm afraid, as a Liverpool follower, I agree wholeheartedly with the Bohemian FC-Avatared OP.

Far too often Gerrard adopts his "I'll win this all by myself then" mode and it's lost cause if he in a 2-man midfield. Galatasaray at home in the CL was clear as day with respect to this. He wanted his first goal of the season when 3-0 up and so camped in the Gala box completely forgetting the defensive aspect.

Gala go 5 in midfield, leaving Alonso back outnumbered 3 v 1, score now 3-2 and Benitez has to bring on Sissoko to shore it up.

stojkovic
31/07/2008, 9:55 PM
Ive been getting hammered from all my Liverpool fan mates for years for saying those exact things... delighted to finally see that someone has the same opinion:D:D:D

I've been saying it for years too and told that im mad but I will never change my opinion. Saw Keane ****, sh1t and puke all over 'Stevie G' at Anfield in Jan 2005 when Keano was past his best.

Gerard cannot be effective playing centre midfield in a 442.

He is most effective behind a striker with Alonso and Masch behind him to cover up his shortcomings.

People talk about Istanbul but if Gerard had done his job in the first half on Kaka we would not have been 3 down. And it was Hamann coming on that changed the game NOT Gerard.

old git
31/07/2008, 10:23 PM
I've been saying it for years too and told that im mad but I will never change my opinion. Saw Keane ****, sh1t and puke all over 'Stevie G' at Anfield in Jan 2005 when Keano was past his best.

Gerard cannot be effective playing centre midfield in a 442.

He is most effective behind a striker with Alonso and Masch behind him to cover up his shortcomings.

People talk about Istanbul but if Gerard had done his job in the first half on Kaka we would not have been 3 down. And it was Hamann coming on that changed the game NOT Gerard.

plus gerard ended up playing full back in second half !!... he is a great player going forward scoring cracking goals ,.. but totally overated as complete midfielder by english press & pool fans ,,, not a patch of the real deal and legend graham souness :ball:

see's it
01/08/2008, 8:31 AM
so your saying 1 player controls the whole game?

drinkfeckarse
01/08/2008, 11:00 AM
Despite his occasional heriocs, he does have the tendancy to go missing in some of the big games e.g. the Man Utd game at Old Trafford last season and the CL semi.

That's not really making any point at all IMO Metrostars. Name me a top player who hasn't gone missing in some big games!? Do you honestly think Zidane, Scholes, Keane etc were superb in every game they played in. It's impossible to be at the top of your game in every game.

Emmet
01/08/2008, 3:26 PM
That's not actually what happened stojkovic: Kaka ran rings around Finnan in the first half. Finnan was taken off at half-time because of an injury, Hamann came on and took Gerrard's place in midfield and Gerrard went to right-back and marked Kaka for the remainder of the match. Kaka was everywhere in the first 45 minutes - from the start of the second-half onwards he was anonymous. Oh and his name is actually spelt 'Gerrard' !!

Gerrard's achievements: PFA Young Player of the Year, PFA Player of the Year, European Midfielder of the year (astonishing really when you take into account the fact that he can't play there), Premier League Most Valuable Player (twice), and UEFA Most Valuable Player. He has been nominated three times for the FIFA Player of the Year, in 2005, 2006 and 2007. Just imagine what he would have achieved if he could play in centre-midfield and control a game :rolleyes::rolleyes:

stojkovic
01/08/2008, 7:44 PM
That's not actually what happened stojkovic: Kaka ran rings around Finnan in the first half. Finnan was taken off at half-time because of an injury, Hamann came on and took Gerrard's place in midfield and Gerrard went to right-back and marked Kaka for the remainder of the match. Kaka was everywhere in the first 45 minutes - from the start of the second-half onwards he was anonymous. Oh and his name is actually spelt 'Gerrard' !!

Wrong wrong wrong. Thats wrong spelt W R O N G.

Kewell was playing behind Baros when he got 'injured'. Smicer replaced him. Gerrard was playing centre mid. When Hamman replaced Finnan at half time they effectively went 3-4-3 with Gerrard and Smicer playing off Baros up front.

Gerrard only went back to right full after it was 3-3 and not when it was 3-0 as you state.

Kaka's pass for Crespo's second goal was played from a central position ten yards inside his own half - Finnan territory ?

All hail Stevie G.

stojkovic
01/08/2008, 8:04 PM
Gerrard's achievements: ..... He has been nominated three times for the FIFA Player of the Year, in 2005, 2006 and 2007. Just imagine what he would have achieved if he could play in centre-midfield and control a game :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Yes he might actually win it.

Like say Zidane, Ronaldinho or Kaka.

01/08/2008, 10:58 PM
Ryan Giggs has just named him in the toughest 11 hes ever played against. but what would giggs know in fairness. or Benitez,or Capello,or Mourinho who loves him or etc etc etc.

whoever said he went to RB at HT in the final is wrong also. Liverpool went 352 in the 2nd half with SG droppin into RB to mark the Braziliian lad who came on (cant remem his name),who was fresh as a daisy. if this was Keane who was going into unknown position and markin a fresh player out of the game and makin tackle after tackle,we would not hear the end of it.

Gerrard doesnt control games coz he is not asked to. there are more than one type of midfielder! thats what Alonso,Macha etc is there for. to protect while he runs the show in the other half of the pitch. but he is more than capable of defending if he has to. If united had SG then we would be hearing about how hes the best in the world blah blah blah.

Fabregas...where was he when United hammered Arsenal 4-0? when Liverpool knocked them out of Europe? are these not big games? does this mean he was crap?

Emmet
02/08/2008, 12:53 PM
Yes he might actually win it.

Like say Zidane, Ronaldinho or Kaka.

Hang on - so now you're saying not being an 'effective midfielder' is when you don't meet the same standards as those three? Based on that ridiculous criteria there would only be two, three, maybe four 'effective mdfielders' on the whole planet!

ps - well done on the spelling :D

stojkovic
02/08/2008, 1:13 PM
ps - well done on the spelling :D

Thanks. Sometimes I lower my standards on here so that the illiterati can understand.;)

brianw82
02/08/2008, 4:55 PM
Let me put it this way:
Liverpool
Steve Gerrard=Goalscoring, All Action Midfielder.
Xabi Alonso= All round technically gifted Midfielder.
Chelsea
Frank Lampard=Goalscoring All Action Midfielder.
Michael Ballack=All round technically gifted Midfielder.

Truer words. I just cannot understand they the Lampard/Gerrard debate is STILL going on. The two of them can't play together - fact.
Put Gerrard in there with Carrick or Barry, who are more in the 'classic' central midfield mode. They are certainly not the world's best midfielders, but probably the best England have if they insist on playing Gerrard as on of the central midfielders.

Emmet
02/08/2008, 5:13 PM
Thanks. Sometimes I lower my standards on here so that the illiterati can understand.;)Fair enough :D

I'm not saying Gerrard is the best player to have ever played the game but he is (in my opinion) one of the best players of his generation. I think he lacks confidence in himself sometimes - if he had the self-belief that someone like Roy Keane had then he would be a much better player. I think the reason he doesn't play as a holding midfielder is because he offers so much more - to have him sitting playing five, ten yard passes wouldn't be the best way of using him.

seanfhear
03/08/2008, 8:20 AM
Fair enough :D

I'm not saying Gerrard is the best player to have ever played the game but he is (in my opinion) one of the best players of his generation. I think he lacks confidence in himself sometimes - if he had the self-belief that someone like Roy Keane had then he would be a much better player. I think the reason he doesn't play as a holding midfielder is because he offers so much more - to have him sitting playing five, ten yard passes wouldn't be the best way of using him.
You maybe right.I dont know why but he always has a worried expression on his face.Sometimes it looks as if the weight of the world is on his shoulders.

gaiscíoch
03/08/2008, 11:39 AM
You maybe right.I dont know why but he always has a worried expression on his face

That's because he is worried about the old bill arresting him over the car stereo he robbed last night?

Sometimes it looks as if the weight of the world is on his shoulders.
I would argue that most scouse people are that way by nature???

beautifulrock
03/08/2008, 1:13 PM
That's because he is worried about the old bill arresting him over the car stereo he robbed last night?

I would argue that most scouse people are that way by nature???

Axeman, this post is one of the reasons why this forum is getting worse by the day:confused:

seanfhear
03/08/2008, 6:16 PM
Axeman, this post is one of the reasons why this forum is getting worse by the day:confused:
scousers are famous for their sense of humour except stephen gerard[on tv anyway]

gaiscíoch
04/08/2008, 10:57 AM

I'm sorry but what does Steven Gerrard have to worry about. Maybe "a pressured look" analogy would have been a better word. A 100,000 a week footballer worried give me a break....

seanfhear
04/08/2008, 11:15 AM
I'm sorry but what does Steven Gerrard have to worry about. Maybe "a pressured look" analogy would have been a better word. A 100,000 a week footballer worried give me a break....
I think I was the one that said the worried look.I dont think that he has much to worry about.I think he is just one of those people that has a worried expression on his face most of the time.For all I know he may be as happy as larry without a care in the world .Good luck to the lad.A fine footballer and we would all be delighted if he was an Irish player worried or not.

bellavistaman
06/08/2008, 11:40 AM
Im a big Man Utd fan but do feel Gerrard is the best central midfielder in England, 2nd in theworld to kaka if youd call kaka a central midfielder

shakermaker1982
06/08/2008, 11:49 AM
Im a big Man Utd fan but do feel Gerrard is the best central midfielder in England, 2nd in theworld to kaka if youd call kaka a central midfielder

Fabregas, Pirlo, Xavi, Iniesta, I'd take an ageing Scholes over him any day of the week as well.

bellavistaman
06/08/2008, 11:55 AM
Fabregas, Pirlo, Xavi, Iniesta, I'd take an ageing Scholes over him any day of the week as well.

not scholes at the moment,

its a game of opinions anyway

Emmet
06/08/2008, 8:31 PM

Obviously I do not know Steven Gerrard personally so I've as much to go on as anyone but - in general - professional footballers are one of the most insecure groups of people you'll ever meet. When Liverpool won the CL in 2005 he said he'd sign a new contract yet several weeks later issued a statement saying he was off to Chelsea because Rick Parry had gone off on a family holiday and hadn't stayed around to sort it out there and then. 24 hours, and lots of reassurances from Parry, Benitez, some of the players, and many fans, later he changed his mind. That's not really the behaviour of someone who is feeling secure in themselves. I suppose a lot of it stems from the knowledge that next week or next month they could be playing at a different club or at the same club but with a different manager or different teammates etc ... to have that uncertainty hanging over you must have its effects.

I do agree though - Gerrard comes across as a right miserable ****er!!

drinkfeckarse
07/08/2008, 7:54 AM
When Liverpool won the CL in 2005 he said he'd sign a new contract yet several weeks later issued a statement saying he was off to Chelsea because Rick Parry had gone off on a family holiday and hadn't stayed around to sort it out there and then. 24 hours, and lots of reassurances from Parry, Benitez, some of the players, and many fans, later he changed his mind.

That's called playing hardball in my book. Forced the club to act over what he considered were stalling tactics. I personally don't think he was ever seriously interested in leaving.

We all know what footballers are like, if they WANT to leave they actually will regardless of contracts.

Emmet
07/08/2008, 9:38 AM
The impression I got at the time was that it was bit like a kid dumping his girlfriend because he suspected she was about to dump him ... once he had verbal reassurances from Benitez and Parry he was quite happy to wait until Parry came back from his holiday and sign.

drinkfeckarse
07/08/2008, 10:57 AM
Maybe, just depends on which way you look at things I suppose Emmet. I seem to recall Liverpool actually accepting a £30 odd million bid for hiim from Chelsea which kinda started the whole thing off. Maybe he felt the club were trying to force him out or get him to sign the contract that they wanted him to sign?

Emmet
07/08/2008, 2:39 PM
I don't remember that drinkfeckarse but that's not to say it didn't happen - you never quite know with Benitez and Parry :D