PDA

View Full Version : Waterford should never get another international

Counting Crow
05/09/2003, 9:07 PM
Is everyone in Waterford made of cardboard or what?

That has got to be the worst atmosphere at a game of football since time began.

I was takling to a guy involved in our club abd he said that when Ireland played in Russia last year a deal was done with them to play the senior and U-21 games on the same day ( on Russia's request ).
The agreement was that when they both met in Ireland they would forgo the rule about playing the U-21 game so many miles from the senior match.

The FAI, apparently, had earmarked The Cross for tonight's game but for some inexplicable reason changed it to the RSC.

What a disaster that was.

Small crowd, desperate atmosphere and crap pitch.

Everthing the Cross wouldn't have been.

We could have had a good night - pity.

The only fans making any effort were the half dozen Russianss behind the goal. They sounded like a bunch of clubbers staggering home after a "skinfull" @ 5 in the morning.

They even got to Stapleton.

yur man
05/09/2003, 11:47 PM
thats what happens when fans are far away from the pitch. those russians mustve been right next to a microphone. i even heard flynny blow his nose. those russians were funny tho

A face
06/09/2003, 12:36 AM

This should be in the Waterford or eL section !!

Éanna
06/09/2003, 1:02 AM
Originally posted by A face
This should be in the Waterford or eL section !!
as requested

The Donie Forde
06/09/2003, 11:09 AM
I'd say about 2k there last nite. Stand seemed full - I was told it holds 1250. Barely enough around the perimeter to drag that up another 7-800. The temp seating was gone also, which doesn't allow for a good view from 75% of the ground. Waterford people I spoke to were surprised and disappointed at he turnout. I don't know how well it was publicised beforehand.

I was in the stand as I got such a ducking on my last visit to the RSC that I'm only drying out now, and it had been teeming in Cork all morning and looking bad. Great view from the stand, if a bit distant because of the running track.

I was in front of a pair of suits with foreign accents who spent the evening commenting on the 'excellent organisation' and the 'appreciation and respect' the Irish fans had for the 'Russian anthem and the good football of the visitors'. They seemed surprised that passages of good play by the Russians were applauded by the home support. They were not Russian, one was Swedish I think by the badge on his blazer.

I think the 6pm ko didn't help attract the crowd + Ireland out of contention + Russia having no Premiership stars :o

A wee bit harsh on Waterford, some of the comments, but I see where you're coming from with the criticisms.

Personally, although I could be accused of bias, I think the Cross should be the permanent home of the U21 national side and that dumb 100-mile rule abolished...We'd get better crowds, have better atmosphere also. About 1k-1500 in Kilkenny for Georgia, don't know what was at Dalymount for Albania (Anyone?). Last U21 at the box was a Monday afternoon friendly and we got approx 4k.

Unlikely to happen, though, so I'm happy enough to see the U21s playing around the country rather than have everything in Dublin.

Donie

pete
08/09/2003, 11:03 AM
Saw game on tv but didn't hear it but crowd did look fairly muted. Un lnless you have a huge crowd in a big stadium running tracks are a disaster for football games.

Waterford seems to have had a few u-21 games recently & crowds don't seem to have been great so best to move onto a new venue me thinks.

Were the waterfordians saving themselves for the big friendly against Leicester City on sunday?

Obviously the FAI have to obey Uefa rules but i think they should try to get each game to be moved to the cross if any opposition agrees.

noby
08/09/2003, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by pete
S
Waterford seems to have had a few u-21 games recently

first in 2 years actually.
have to agree about the poor crowd - maybe early kick off had an influence. although with the bucket seats removed, perhaps people presumed (myself included) that the stand would be full, which leaves you a choice of peering over someones shoulder, or standing on a bank, about 30 yards from the pitch.

that the RSC has no atmosphere isn't really news to regular attenders, despite recent attempts from some sections

Dodge
08/09/2003, 12:50 PM
I think the u21s should be done on a rota basis. All non dub clubs with the premier Licensed grounds get a match in turn.

Éanna
08/09/2003, 6:42 PM
Originally posted by Dodge
I think the u21s should be done on a rota basis. All non dub clubs with the premier Licensed grounds get a match in turn.
good idea

b_mcsweeney
09/09/2003, 4:18 PM
to be fair to the fai, this is one thing that they've improved leaps and bounds. at least now they are making an effort to move games out to the regions and long may it continue. its a little unfair to compare the game in waterford vs russia to playing germany (with john o'flynn upfront) in cork from a crowd point of view. hopefully the fai will keep up their good work in trying to move these games around the place.

also, i seem to remember the u21s playing holland in waterford not too long ago, though i think that was a friendly rather than a competitive game (if thats what was meant by first u21 game in two years).

noby
10/09/2003, 8:47 AM
it was a world cup qualifier. there was a good crowd, and a decent atmosphere.
it's a bit harsh to be saying waterford should never get another international, because of one match.

the russians who were making a bit of noise seemed to be spurred on from what appeared to be a litre of whiskey! (sometimes that's what it takes in the RSC)

The Donie Forde
10/09/2003, 9:13 AM
Originally posted by b_mcsweeney
its a little unfair to compare the game in waterford vs russia to playing germany (with john o'flynn upfront) in cork from a crowd point of view.

Why, exactly? The Blues fans could have seen/supported Dan Connor after all...

Also, it was a competitive game, Germany at the Box wasn't.

Merely making a rebuttal here; I'm not being anti-Waterford ...

Donie

b_mcsweeney
10/09/2003, 9:48 AM
i forgot bout connors alright, but my point was that germany would be a much 'bigger' name than russia, which would naturally help the crowd. plus you'd have to factor in population base and the weather.

also, and this is a point that people could argue, if the fai were merely looking to maximise attendance at u21 fixtures, they should never move games out of dublin. whether they realise them or not, the potential for big crowds is obviously enhanced by being in a city with a million+ population vs waterford, athlone or even cork. if all the u21 games were in cork say, after the novelty value had worn off the crowds would most likely plummet, especially for a lesser fixture against say albanias u21s.

i think its a good thing that they've looked to move games around the country. it gives people outside dublin a chance to see international games plus, you never know, some of the people who show up may return for league matches, which could only be a good thing. i'd be the first to slag of the fai but credit where its due on this i feel.

The Donie Forde
10/09/2003, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by b_mcsweeney
i forgot bout connors alright, but my point was that germany would be a much 'bigger' name than russia, which would naturally help the crowd. plus you'd have to factor in population base and the weather.

also, and this is a point that people could argue, if the fai were merely looking to maximise attendance at u21 fixtures, they should never move games out of dublin. whether they realise them or not, the potential for big crowds is obviously enhanced by being in a city with a million+ population vs waterford, athlone or even cork. if all the u21 games were in cork say, after the novelty value had worn off the crowds would most likely plummet, especially for a lesser fixture against say albanias u21s.

i think its a good thing that they've looked to move games around the country. it gives people outside dublin a chance to see international games plus, you never know, some of the people who show up may return for league matches, which could only be a good thing. i'd be the first to slag of the fai but credit where its due on this i feel.

Germany may be more more attractive in theory but it was a friendly, Russia was competitive thus implying a more attractive game surely? Also, Germany was played on a Monday afternoon, Russia on a Friday evening. It wasn't raining in Waterford on the evening, lovely sunshine in the second half!!

The FAI moved U21s out of Dublin due to lack of support despite the size of the place. Of the venues used more than once Cork has supported the U21s best and bear in mind that due to a dim rule we're not allowed competitive games in Cork.

You make a fair point about novelty value, but against that I believe that if Cork was appointed the official home of the U21s the city/county would proudly support 'its' international team. Maybe the U20s could be Waterford's team, the U19s at Longford, the U18s at Kilkenny...

In my initial post I stated it is unlikely Turners Cross will become the home of the Ireland U21s but, bias aside once again, I think it's the best option.

Donie

James
10/09/2003, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by Dodge

yip sounds fair to me

although wudnt object to donie forde's all u21 games at the cross sugestion either :)

James
10/09/2003, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by The Donie Forde
Germany may be more more attractive in theory but it was a friendly, Russia was competitive thus implying a more attractive game surely? Also, Germany was played on a Monday afternoon, Russia on a Friday evening. It wasn't raining in Waterford on the evening, lovely sunshine in the second half!!

disagree,
seeing as Ireland u21 are/were to all extent and purposes out of the competition to qualify.. it would make no difference in my eyes whether twas a friendly or a qualify .. in the example you gave.. and to be honest i'd much rather see ire v germany(friendly) then ire v russia (qualifier with ireland out of the running to qualify).

novelty value thing imo is a good point although if city had an u21 player this factor wud be elimenated as the REBEL ARMY awud follow the city player (give the ball to John OFlynn chants from the shed were example of this)

noby
10/09/2003, 12:32 PM
obviously, being from cork, ye'd love to have all u-21's based in turners cross - that's understandable. but it's as unfair to the rest of the country as basing them all in dublin. i think the rotation system seems the best idea.

baring in mind, all this seems to be based on one match v germany, and one match v russia. i'm sure there were afew dead nights in kilkenny and other places too. doesn't mean they should lose their chance to host games

James
10/09/2003, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by noby
i'm sure there were afew dead nights in kilkenny and other places too. doesn't mean they should lose their chance to host games

lots of dead nights in kilkenny i'm sure :)
actually i wonder bout holding them there at all
the last 1 i was at there was the georgia ireland u21 match and the pitch was a bog, the crowd was v small and even though we arrived v early the lang@rs still wudnt let us buy tickets for the main stand even though afaik it wasnt sold out!!!! plus the atmosphere is dead anytime i've been there

the only thing in its favour FAI wise is prob its close proximity to dublin
think one of the away international teams i saw there didnt even change at the kilkenny venue but hopped straight into their bus with their gear on..

The Donie Forde
10/09/2003, 1:43 PM
Originally posted by noby
obviously, being from cork, ye'd love to have all u-21's based in turners cross - that's understandable. but it's as unfair to the rest of the country as basing them all in dublin. i think the rotation system seems the best idea.

baring in mind, all this seems to be based on one match v germany, and one match v russia. i'm sure there were afew dead nights in kilkenny and other places too. doesn't mean they should lose their chance to host games

noby, I'm not basing it on one game. I was just pointing out the Germany game as it was played on a Monday afternoon...

The previous U21 in Cork v Denmark had 8,000 at it. I'm not against the rota, as such. But it seems banal to me to play games in, for instance, Kilkenny and barely scrape beyond 1k spectators just because of a silly distance rule. Jeez, we got rid of that rule for league games - must we suffer it at international level?

I'm merely suggesting that particular cities/towns/venues could be deemed the 'home of the Ireland Under-X Team', rather than putting all underage games all over the place willy-nilly.

If Waterford, for instance, was the 'home' of one such side, people there might have more pride in it and support it better. If a city/town venue was given, say, 5-6 games over a couple of years and seen not to support them, then take that team to a town that will.

Either way - rota or 'home' base system - I glad to see the games out of Dublin. The capital has all the seniors, the cup finals etc etc

Donie

MikeW
10/09/2003, 2:12 PM
Fact is, even if the FAI wanted to do it Cork couldn't become the "home" of the under 21s because of the proximity to the national airport rule (or whatever it is). You'd have to get every under 21 opponent to agree to travel to Cork and that just wouldn't happen. Waterford only got the game because the Russians agreed to go there in return for us playing over there at a different time than was originally agreed.

The Donie Forde
10/09/2003, 3:42 PM
Originally posted by MikeW
Fact is, even if the FAI wanted to do it Cork couldn't become the "home" of the under 21s because of the proximity to the national airport rule (or whatever it is). You'd have to get every under 21 opponent to agree to travel to Cork and that just wouldn't happen. Waterford only got the game because the Russians agreed to go there in return for us playing over there at a different time than was originally agreed.

Yeah, MikeW, I've already stated that the rule is a problem not just for Cork being a potential home base for the U21 side, but for getting any competitive game at that level at all. The rule incidentally has to do with proximity to where the senior international is being played - always Dublin in our case - not the national airport.

Likesay - for the third time - don't have a prob with the rota system per se - just think we should explore diferent avenues for possibly increasing attendances at underage international games. 1 way, I suggest, might be to get a town or city to adopt a particular team, associate with it, and support it. That's all...

Donie