PDA

View Full Version : Sale of alcohol restrictions

brendy_éire
30/07/2008, 12:42 PM
Whilst I agree with most of the measures, I have a major complaint over the one about off licences closing at 10pm. (http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0730/alcohol.html) Assuming these measures are aimed at reducing alcohol consumption throughout the population, but particularly at underage drinkers, how will this help acheive anything?
People will simply buy their alcohol earlier during the day. What gets me is that one of the advantages of away games is that I can leave the match and still have enough time to go to an off licence. Off licences closing earlier isn't going to reduce the amount I drink, it'll just mean I'll head to the bar earlier.
It's idiotic to think that closing off licences early will make any sort of change to the Irish drinking culture. I know it's been discussed on here before, but switching to a more liberal, continental style of alcohol legislation would effect a real change in our attitudes to alcohol.

Macy
30/07/2008, 12:50 PM
It's a nonsense - one of those stupid laws that make no difference but give the impression of doing something. I wonder will this apply to their publican buddies who sell take outs?

There should be no restrictions on opening for either pub or off licences, but then come down hard on those selling to underage and by all means crack down on people drinking cans/ bottles and causing a nuiscance in public places. Most people that will cause trouble by drinking in the streets/ parks/ field will be well oiled by 10pm anyway.

pete
30/07/2008, 1:21 PM
Vintners will be very happy as means off licences cannot compete past 10pm & Nite Club attractiveness is reduced as they have to close at 2.30am.

The enforcement of all Nite clubs to close at 2.30am in Dublin is particularly bad mood as adds pressure points to transport & food facilities at that time of night. Even the Gardai can't believe that reduces public order offences.

Seems amazing that it is a new power to allow Gardai take drink off u-18s.

superfrank
30/07/2008, 1:21 PM
It's a nonsense - one of those stupid laws that make no difference but give the impression of doing something. I wonder will this apply to their publican buddies who sell take outs?

There should be no restrictions on opening for either pub or off licences, but then come down hard on those selling to underage and by all means crack down on people drinking cans/ bottles and causing a nuiscance in public places. Most people that will cause trouble by drinking in the streets/ parks/ field will be well oiled by 10pm anyway.
Well said Macy.

IMO, the only way to keep drink away from kids is to up the price. Tax the hell out of it and pump the revenue back into the health service.

It never stopped them before. There's a loophole though.

I know of one lad who was caught drinking in public when he was 16. The Guards confiscated his drink. They said if he wanted it back, he'd have to get his parents to collect it for him. So, naturally enough, he told his parents and they went down to the Garda station to collect it for him. The Guards handed it over because they were adults.

This is crazy.

Dodge
30/07/2008, 1:28 PM

its not a new law, its a "repackaged" law

Ridiculous carry on by the Govt

NeilMcD
30/07/2008, 1:35 PM
Yeah one of these stupid laws that has been brought it that will achieve nothing. It will only stop people who knock off work around 10pm or somebody who studies late after work and fancies a bottle of wine or a few cans to watch the highlights of a match or something like that from getting a spur of the moment few cans.

It is not going to stop the problem it is aimed and and the bit about nightclubs is mad aswell. It seems that this is a law influenced by the vitners and their lobbying power with politicians.

superfrank
30/07/2008, 1:47 PM
It seems that this is a law influenced by the vitners and their lobbying power with politicians.
The Taoiseach's brother does own a tax-dodging pub.

Macy
30/07/2008, 2:14 PM
IMO, the only way to keep drink away from kids is to up the price. Tax the hell out of it and pump the revenue back into the health service.
Upping the price just hits the people that are capable of drinking responsibly. The only way to keep it of the hands of children is to have the laws on the selling or supply of alcohol to minors such that offy owners/ publicans/ adults won't risk it.

boovidge
30/07/2008, 2:49 PM
I know it's been discussed on here before, but switching to a more liberal, continental style of alcohol legislation would effect a real change in our attitudes to alcohol.

They tried that in Britain and it made everything worse.

Dodge
30/07/2008, 2:54 PM
They didn't, btu anyway how did it make "everything worse", and what is "everything" while we're here?

Macy
30/07/2008, 2:54 PM
Too early to tell - you don't change the drinking culture in the 2 or 3 years that it's been since the change over.

Newryrep
30/07/2008, 3:22 PM
Stick E20 tax on a can of red bull and other artifical stimulents would go a long way to curbing drink antisocial problems. Drinking it just allows you to get more drink down you while giving you more energy more whereas before there was a natural tendancy to fall asleep/get sleepy as 'I have had enough/Im ******ed'.

Dont France tax it to the hilt ?

My 2 cents

OneRedArmy
30/07/2008, 3:43 PM
I was going to get outraged about this, but then thought a bit and I can't remember the last time I was in an offy between 10 and 11.

I don't go to night clubs much any more either.

But I reckon it will have feck all effect though and is total pandering to the VFI/FF special interest groups. Everything closing at the same time is a recipe for disaster.

boovidge
30/07/2008, 3:50 PM
They didn't, btu anyway how did it make "everything worse", and what is "everything" while we're here?

well the problem is binge drinking by young adults and teenagers leading to health and crime problems . The British government tried/is trying to introduce a continental cafe culture and gave pubs and clubs all night licenses to stop binge drinking before last orders. Needless to say everyone kept binge drinking through the night and crime has gone up.

boovidge
30/07/2008, 3:53 PM
Too early to tell - you don't change the drinking culture in the 2 or 3 years that it's been since the change over.

perhaps, but I dont think it will change, even after a few more years.

Dodge
30/07/2008, 3:54 PM
I was going to get outraged about this, but then thought a bit and I can't remember the last time I was in an offy between 10 and 11

Plenty of times we've got a video out on a Friday/Saturday night and gone for a couple of cans/bottle of wine late on (particularly if Pats have played on the Friday...)

As with yourself I've no intrest in clubs anymore, but thats not to say I'd like to see them closed.

More importantly, at a time when employment oppurtunities are at best "iffy" and atracting tourists is getting harder and harder, these new measures will act as a constraint on a particularly important part of the economy

Dodge
30/07/2008, 4:00 PM
well the problem is binge drinking by young adults and teenagers leading to health and crime problems . The British government tried/is trying to introduce a continental cafe culture and gave pubs and clubs all night licenses to stop binge drinking before last orders. Needless to say everyone kept binge drinking through the night and crime has gone up.

And studies have determined that Drink is the only issue? :rolleyes: And don't let Britihs government soundbites fool you into thinking they're trying to introduce cafe culture. I understand that less than 1% of pubs in the UK actually changed their working hours too.

The problem I have is that, as with so much of this government's policies, it all seems completely knee jerk and there doesn't seem to have been any research done into anything. As usual, they picked on a scapgoat, and tinkered witha couple of things, rather than get to the heart of the problem. mainly becuase they haven't a ****ing clue what the problem is.

pete
30/07/2008, 4:06 PM
More importantly, at a time when employment oppurtunities are at best "iffy" and atracting tourists is getting harder and harder, these new measures will act as a constraint on a particularly important part of the economy

Alcohol has extremely high taxes already so in current economic circumstances would be a good source of revenue.

If someone is going to be drunk & disorderly I can't see how closing Nite clubs at 2.30am or Off Licences at 10pm will make even the smallest difference. I presume Pubs will continue to sell off licence after 10pm.

KevB76
30/07/2008, 5:54 PM
I dont have any strong feelings on this one, for or against, but I do think that closing all the clubs at the same time is stupid.
Everyone will be falling out the doors at the same time, hanging around for taxis (which will be even harder to find than usual because they are all needed at the same time), things are bound to kick-off more than usual.

tetsujin1979
30/07/2008, 8:45 PM
The enforcement of all Nite clubs to close at 2.30am in Dublin is particularly bad mood as adds pressure points to transport & food facilities at that time of night. Even the Gardai can't believe that reduces public order offences.
That's the one thing I can't believe. A representative from the Dublin nightclub owner's association was on Phantom a few weeks ago, according to him public order offences in Dublin are down, year on year, since they introduced the staggered closing times for pubs and clubs, whereas they've increased outside the Pale, where they close around the same time. Also, the taxi drivers union, and the bus drivers association were all against the change.

pete
30/07/2008, 9:22 PM
That's the one thing I can't believe. A representative from the Dublin nightclub owner's association was on Phantom a few weeks ago, according to him public order offences in Dublin are down, year on year, since they introduced the staggered closing times for pubs and clubs, whereas they've increased outside the Pale, where they close around the same time. Also, the taxi drivers union, and the bus drivers association were all against the change.

I don't go into town as much as I used to but later closing times are much better as people leave at different times. Not everyone stays til 4am. Compared with last time I was out in Cork & forgot about the early closing time - city centre flooded with people & because taxis & cabs only way to get home loads everyone hanging around at the same time...

:rolleyes:

RonnieB
02/08/2008, 11:08 AM
Forgot about this revolutionary new law. Arrived in Dublin last night at 9:50pm went to an offlicense in a shop to be refused a few cans. God I love this country. Free to go hand five quid to a pub for a pint of **** however....

It is not going to stop kids/teenagers getting their drinks and in my opinion is yet another law that penalises those of us who work our asses off all week and have the misfortune of not getting to an offy before 10pm... modern country my ass.

superfrank
02/08/2008, 12:36 PM
I went out last night and got down the pub just after 10.

There were a few times people came in, bought a crate and just walked out.

Are pubs still allowed to do this?

AnnaghRed
03/08/2008, 12:04 AM
I think its great, smoking and drinking had really started to lose their appeal, but all these new laws have given them the same naughty lure they had when I was 15. Could almost feel 15 again if it wasn't for the bronchial rattle in my chest :(

anto1208
05/08/2008, 10:32 AM
I was in a pub that offered carry out from the offy section up to 10 , then after 10 just changed the bags from offy ones to plain white ones and kept serving !!!

Its the pubs where they cram in the kids put in no seating so everyone stands and plays the music so loud all people can do is drink because they cant hear a word said that has young people just swamping pints/shots/bottles where as before or at home they can sit have a chat and a few drinks at their own pace.

Anyway if you are going underage drinking you would have your drink purchased and stashed by around 3pm so it makes no difference come 10 pm.

Its just another law to protect the publican.

gilberto_eire
10/08/2008, 12:57 PM
Forgot about this revolutionary new law. Arrived in Dublin last night at 9:50pm went to an offlicense in a shop to be refused a few cans. God I love this country. Free to go hand five quid to a pub for a pint of **** however....

It is not going to stop kids/teenagers getting their drinks and in my opinion is yet another law that penalises those of us who work our asses off all week and have the misfortune of not getting to an offy before 10pm... modern country my ass.

More tripe from the FF administration, this country is really turning into a nanny state!!.

But i guess this is what the people voted back in last year! :rolleyes: