PDA

View Full Version : v. St. Pat's

HarpoJoyce
30/07/2008, 6:41 AM
I understand this match is on Sunday 03rd August at 15:00, is that right?

Besides Derek Doyle will there be any other departures before then?
(No confidential information needs to be divulged.)

Is it considered Treasonous to want some St. Pat's players to fallover during the 2nd leg of their Olimps game on Thursday?.....extratime?

Why is everyone on the Pat's team called Ryan?

After Edit: Just read the Irish Examiner's preview of Pat's and Olimps. John McDonnell describes the Latvians "they are a young side - a little bit like UCD. That is no disrespect to College. Olimps' best players move on to Skonto Riga eventually, but the emphasis is always on bringing in young players".

Right the gloves are difinitely off! What is he on about, there is no way we would qualify for the UEFA Cup at the minute....well not without Doyler anyway.

pineapple stu
01/08/2008, 12:56 PM
Interesting to see who plays now. Bermo's out, and Mahon and King are doubts. Leaving those three out (because it makes centre mid that much easier...), I'd expect something like -

Gregg
Kenna
McNally
McMillan
Harding
Fitz
Finn
McFaul
Meenan/O'Callaghan
Podge
O'Neill

with Duggan in for O'Neill if his registration goes through.

Pat's were poor enough against Olimps last night, scoring off a free and a penalty and not generally creating a huge deal, though obviously they'll say they did what they had to do. If they play like that again on Sunday, I could well see a traditional 0-0.

Schumi
01/08/2008, 1:11 PM
Pats had lots of possession but took very few shots (similar to us against Cobh maybe). If they play like that, 0-0 is certainly possible but I can see them winning 2-0.

DmanDmythDledge
01/08/2008, 1:14 PM
I would leave Stevens at LB (especially considering you would have Harding out of position). He looked a small bit shaky last week but that is to be expected on your senior debut at such a young age. McMillan hasn't really looked all that comfortable in recent games- I think we should go back to our always reliable CB partership of Kenna/McNally, even if it means having to play another youngster (Harding) at full back.

Would agree with that midfield but would be surprised if Pete doesn't start Meenan. If he rated O'Callaghan that much he would have given him more action at this stage. Would love to see Timmy upfront instead of Podge but that's not going to happen unfortunately.

Definitely have a chance of getting something out of this. We know how to stop a team like Pats and judging by the game earlier in the season they don't seem to have a plan B. We need to be at the top of our defensive game though to salvage anything. A point from this game would be a good boost of confidence ahead of our crunch game against Galway.

Dodge
01/08/2008, 1:16 PM
though obviously they'll say they did what they had to do

Mainly because it was true

Schumi
01/08/2008, 1:23 PM
I would leave Stevens at LB (especially considering you would have Harding out of position). He looked a small bit shaky last week but that is to be expected on your senior debut at such a young age. McMillan hasn't really looked all that comfortable in recent games- I think we should go back to our always reliable CB partership of Kenna/McNally, even if it means having to play another youngster (Harding) at full back.I'd agree with this (although I assumed pineapple meant Kenna playing at left back). The free header Heary(?) had for Bohs' first last week was down to poor marking. I didn't see who's man he was but I'd be more confident with Kenna and McNally in the middle. My only concern would be having an inexperienced player looking after Ryan Guy.

Up front, I've no idea. None of our players can score so it probably doesn't matter who plays there. If he's available, I'd play Duggan behind O'Neill as McWalter has been poor all year and O'Neill looks better able to hold onto the ball so he might suit Duggan better.

Magicme
01/08/2008, 1:31 PM
Mite go to this game as will be recovering from a hangover in Dublin so shopping would be a dead loss and am dying to see the new ground. What bus should I get out from town??

Schumi
01/08/2008, 2:00 PM
Mite go to this game as will be recovering from a hangover in Dublin so shopping would be a dead loss and am dying to see the new ground. What bus should I get out from town??The 11B is the handiest but I don't think they run on Sundays. Any 11 will bring you within about 10 minutes of the ground. Get off at the Clonskeagh entrance to UCD (at the AIB). Once you're in UCD, there should be signs.

pineapple stu
01/08/2008, 3:11 PM
Mainly because it was true
You have another reason for saying it?

I'm hoping for a bit of an Ireland-Lithuania 1993 effect, to be honest.

I'd agree with this (although I assumed pineapple meant Kenna playing at left back).
I did, yeah.

I assume you means whose instead of who's. ;)

On buses, the 46A, 84, 63 and 10 all go to UCD too, though a bit further away than the 11. But once you get sight of the water tower, head for there.

Magicme
04/08/2008, 10:56 AM
Thanks lads, ended up getting a lift anyway so was grand!

You did not deserve to lose 3-0. Meenan did well on his first outing for you.

Dodge
04/08/2008, 11:16 AM
You did not deserve to lose 3-0

Yep, should've been 4/5. Worst UCD team I've ever seen (and I'm far from the biggest UCD hater here...)

pineapple stu
04/08/2008, 12:38 PM
4/5-1 at least though. In fairness, at least we created some chances yesterday, which is more than can be said for previous weeks.

Meenan started slowly but got better, Duggan was quieter than I was hoping, but the performance was much livelier than recently. Ultimately though, next week's a far more important game and if we win it, I won't be caring about yesterday's result. If there's a winner next week, they'll stay up I reckon.

DmanDmythDledge
04/08/2008, 11:50 PM
4/5-1 at least though. In fairness, at least we created some chances yesterday, which is more than can be said for previous weeks.
What chances? All I recall was when Meenan (who looked decent) played Fitz through towards the end but that was only a half chance at best. Vaguely remember Meenan playing somebody else through that also came to nothing as well but do not remember anything else. No attempts that tested the keeper or made him worry. We certainly didn't deserve a goal anyway.

I don't know how bad McWalter has to play to get dropped. His first touch is embarrasing. O'Neill has to start in his place on Friday or push Fitz upfront. I'd go with Timmy myself but he has seemed to have gone completely out of Pete's plans for some bizarre reason. I'd push Fitz up there but don't think he could play as a lone striker, unless you take Duggan out of the team and play him with O'Neill.

Duggan looks to be decent but as my first time seeing him too early to endorse him as much as others have yet. Seems very comfortable on the ball and does not panic when under pressure. Nice passer of the ball but gave it away sloppily on a few occasions.

Don't think a partnership of him and McFaul will work though. Kinger has to be in there when he comes back from injury- neither of the mentioned two cover enough ground (Pats had a good bit of space to work in, which was further increased by Fitz not tracking back and leaving a huge space on our right). Finn does this to an extent but we need him to play further up the pitch. Another reason why King should be in the team, and something he doesn't get enough credit for (if any at all), is that he is a fantastic user of the ball. One touch with his left, ready to pass with his right straight away and will find a man nine times out of ten.

Mentioning Finn, I thought he had a good game- was putting in tackles and used the ball well when he was on it. Played a brilliant through ball to Meenan in the first half when it was still 0-0 but defender got back before he could shoot.

Stevens looked a bit shaky once more but like last week nothing really to complain about- he'll be fine when he gets a few more games under his belt. In fairness to him too Guy had a great game for Pats on the right.

Defence overall didn't look great though. Shortall left O'Brien beat him too easily on a few occasions (one which lead to their first goal) and the defending for the second goal was nothing short of a shambles. Fahey danced through the defence on two occasions as well and got a goal for his efforts out of it. Never realised he had so much pace.

Worringly times certainly ahead but frustratingly there are better options/solutions sitting on the bench/ in the stand. As for Friday the way both teams are playing at the moment we will be beaten but if Pete makes the changes we will give ourselves a chance. If not we will need Galway to underperform.

Schumi
05/08/2008, 8:35 AM
4/5-1 at least though. In fairness, at least we created some chances yesterday, which is more than can be said for previous weeks.A couple of half-chances at best. I don't see where we were going to get a goal from.

We were destroyed down both flanks. Both our full backs looked very slow, Guy went past Stevens at will and their left winger had Shortall in big trouble on the other side too. We did OK for the first 20 minutes or so I thought, we had a decent amount of the ball in midfield and passed it quite well (no shots from it as usual though) but after that we were just hanging on at best.

The new guys did well without setting the world alight. Meenan came into the game fairly well in the second half but didn't look great in the first. No surprise that it'd take a while to get used to the step up from Kildare to Pats though. Duggan was a lot quieter than against Dundee Utd but his touch and passing still looked good. You could see that he was getting frustrated with how the game was going near the end though. Whether that's a positive or negative remains to be seen I suppose.

John83
05/08/2008, 10:32 AM
What chances? All I recall was when Meenan (who looked decent) played Fitz through towards the end but that was only a half chance at best.
Duggan forced a save with a shot from the edge of the area. Podge was released and had he a bit more pace, he'd have been odds on to score. As it was, we had a penalty call. Not much, really, but better than recently. Fitzie had a couple of half chances.

I don't know how bad McWalter has to play to get dropped. His first touch is embarrasing.That's just not fair. He's a mediocre player playing in a very difficult role. He works hard there and does his bit.

O'Neill has to start in his place on Friday or push Fitz upfront.Fitz practically played up front for the first half. It didn't do us any good. Fitz has a grand total of 0 goals this year. 0. He's absolutely the solution to our problems up front.

I'd go with Timmy myself but he has seemed to have gone completely out of Pete's plans for some bizarre reason.I'd agree, but we don't know the story there. Maybe he's been lazy in training, maybe he's had a few knocks we haven't hear about.

Kinger has to be in there when he comes back from injuryI kind of think we should stick him on the right and use Fitz as an impact sub. King's crossing was useful at the start of the season, and we really don't have any threat down the wings at the moment.

Stevens looked a bit shaky once more but like last week nothing really to complain about- he'll be fine when he gets a few more games under his belt. In fairness to him too Guy had a great game for Pats on the right.You're presuming a lot there. Guy had a great game because Stevens couldn't keep up with him at all, and hadn't the guile to compensate. Maybe some experience and match practice will make a difference, and Guy is hardly the easiest guy to make on you debut(?), but I saw nothing to suggest Stevens is going to be any good. Of course, it's not fair to judge him on a single game, but it wasn't a good start.

Worringly times certainly ahead but frustratingly there are better options/solutions sitting on the bench/ in the stand. As for Friday the way both teams are playing at the moment we will be beaten but if Pete makes the changes we will give ourselves a chance. There are some alternatives sitting on the bench. Until you get your UEFA licence, I'm going to assume Pete and his staff are a better judge of them than you.

DmanDmythDledge
05/08/2008, 11:27 AM
All those chances were half chances, nothing more. Podge got past the defence at times because they played a high line because of his lack of pace.

That's just not fair. He's a mediocre player playing in a very difficult role. He works hard there and does his bit.

Fitz practically played up front for the first half. It didn't do us any good. Fitz has a grand total of 0 goals this year. 0. He's absolutely the solution to our problems up front.
Working hard isn't enough. As you said he is mediocre- he is not able to play the role. There is nothing unfair about what I said- he has had a poor season.

Practically, but didn't really. That was only until Pats scored anyway.

From the couple of games that Fitz played upfront he was more impressive than Podge and was more effective than when he was on the wing. Putting Fitz upfront will mean that the opposition's defence will have to sit back to deal with his pace which will give our midfield and forwards more space to operate in.

I kind of think we should stick him on the right and use Fitz as an impact sub. King's crossing was useful at the start of the season, and we really don't have any threat down the wings at the moment.

There are some alternatives sitting on the bench. Until you get your UEFA licence, I'm going to assume Pete and his staff are a better judge of them than you.
That's what I was thinking myself. He would give protection to whoever is at RB, which has been our weak spot for a good while.

Earlier on you agree that Timmy would be a better option to play but now you start making smart comments about the same thing? Managers get things wrong sometimes and Pete has done so. This blind faith is pathetic- can you not use your own mind to have an opinion on something?

pineapple stu
05/08/2008, 11:36 AM
Podge was released and had he a bit more pace, he'd have been odds on to score. As it was, we had a penalty call. Not much, really, but better than recently.
Podge was released in on goal twice, as was Meenan in the first half. Those were the chances I was referring to alright, with absolutely the qualification in your last sentence. We were much livelier than recently, and until Pat's got the second (with less than 20 to go, I think), I had blind supporter's hope of grabbing an equaliser somewhere. That's a nice improvement too in this poxy season.

pineapple stu
05/08/2008, 1:16 PM
UCD annus horribilis continued apace in the Bowl on Sunday afternoon with a comfortable 3-0 reverse against St Pat's. Despite debutantes Darren Meenan and Shane Duggan ensuring a much livelier performance from the home team, St Pat's were always in control, although they only really registered their domination towards the end of the game.

With Galway having won the previous Friday to draw level with UCD, the nerves were jangling come kick off; that seemed to transcribe to the on-pitch performances too, with Matt Gregg, who has generally been in fine form this season, flapping at a couple of early crosses, as a result of one of which, St Pat's somehow managed to fire over at the far post with the goal gaping.

Darren Meenan, the new signing from Monaghan, took his time to get into the game and it was his careless loss of possession just past the half hour that set Pat's on their way to the opening goal of the game. Set free down the left, he put in a low cross when there was nobody within 20 yards in support. Barry Ryan collected easily, set the Saints forward and when Mark Quigley's shot was fumbled by Gregg, former Student Glen Fitzpatrick was on hand to tuck home the rebound.

Meenan nearly made amends three minutes later when he was sent through by a fine ball from Ronan Finn, but as he burst into the box and was about to pull the trigger, he was denied by an excellent covering tackle.

Into the second half, and as UCD tried to commit bodies forward for an equaliser, more and more gaps developed at the back. Ryan Guy squirmed past three tackles to get into the box, but Matt Gregg somehow got just enough of a touch to the ball to direct it inches past the post. Two minutes later, it could well have been 1-1 when McWalter was sent clear through 30 yards out; with Ronan Finn in space on his right, McWalter chose to go it alone, and Dessie Byrne put in the all-important tackle just as McWalter reached the edge of the box.

The game was really opening up now with chances at either end, although more and better ones were arriving at Matt Gregg's goal. Derek O'Brien nearly had a wonder goal when he met a first time cross with an excellent cross-goal drive which had shades of Jason McAteer against the Dutch in 2001 about it; the Dutch keeper beaten that day was Edwin van der Saar, but his lookalike Matt Gregg was able to produce an excellent save to touch the shot onto the bar. A couple of minutes later, McWalter was again given a run through on goal, but again the Pat's defence were well up to the task, who soon after saw his drive from the right of the box deflected over for a corner, much to Barry Ryan's relief. The Saints countered directly from the corner, and Matt Gregg again had to be at his best to deny Mark Quigley with his feet. Three minutes later, Quigley was through again only to be denied this time by Alan McNally as Pat's upped the ante.

The insurance goal they were looking for came on 72 minutes. Glen Fitzpatrick sent a left-footed curler onto the inside of Matt Gregg's outside post; as UCD looked on in amazement, the ball rebounded behind Gregg along the line, Fahey picked up the rebound, qsuared to Ryan Guy who couldn't miss from two yards out.

Two minutes from time, Pat's made it 3-0. Brian Shortall brought the ball forward out of defence, Darren Meenan was bustled off the pass and Pat's played Fahey through in the area Shortall had vacated to round Gregg and round off the scoring. It could have been four a minute later as UCD heads went down, but no-one was on hand to touch home a ball across the six yard box.

Overall, another dispiriting day at the office, but there was at least enough of a fight to ensure Friday's game in Galway mayn't be the gloom fest it could otherwise be. Defeat on Friday is unthinkable; there's just four days to find out what will happen!

UCD: Gregg, Shorthall, Stevens, Kenna, McNally, Duggan, Fitzgerald (O'Neill 69), Finn, McWalter, McFaul (Reilly 62), Meenan.

Att - c 800

Dodge
05/08/2008, 1:24 PM
Ryan Guy squirmed past three tackles to get into the box, but Matt Gregg somehow got just enough of a touch to the ball to direct it inches past the post.

'Twas Fahey that ran through the defence onl for Gregg to ruin it.

Highlights on www.stpatsfc.com for those wishing to relive it

pineapple stu
05/08/2008, 1:28 PM
Was it? Just watched it again on MNS; missed that! Youz lot all look the same to me. Someone mentioned at the time it was Guy.

John83
05/08/2008, 1:33 PM
Earlier on you agree that Timmy would be a better option to play but now you start making smart comments about the same thing? Managers get things wrong sometimes and Pete has done so. This blind faith is pathetic- can you not use your own mind to have an opinion on something?
Welcome to English comprehension for ten year olds. I agreed with the sentiment "I'd go with Timmy myself". This is substantially different to "there are better options/solutions sitting on the bench/ in the stand. As for Friday the way both teams are playing at the moment we will be beaten but if Pete makes the changes we will give ourselves a chance," or 'Pete has gotten it wrong'.

If you're going to call me "pathetic", I'll retaliate with 'arrogant' and 'semi-literate'.

HarpoJoyce
06/10/2008, 2:41 AM
Brian De Salvo couldn't be at a better stadium

Loi.ie article on the UCD v. Pat's game
http://www.eircomloi.ie/news-centre/columnists/brian-de-salvo/column-23/index.xml