PDA

View Full Version : Best Album of 1994

Pages : [1] 2

jebus
29/07/2008, 6:04 PM
REM stole the 1992 poll with literally the last vote, Rage led the way for most of the week but REM managed to turn it around and take home the prize (if there was one :)).

Anyway here's picks for 1994, remember to tell me who you're voting for if you vote other

You'll get a sense of what a good year for music this was when you take into account the albums that didn't make the cut, from Beck's Mellow Gold to Pavement's Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain, Soundgarden's Superunknown, Nick Cave's Let Love In, and Pearl Jam's Vitalogy among others. Check out a really good live performance of Slide Away too, oh and I put Warning in for the Green Day video because I was told by YouTube that the official videos from Dookie are unavailable to people outside the US?! Punk Lives On in the form of those morons I guess

Weezer - Buddy Holly - The Blue Album

FiIC5qcXeNU

Nine Inch Nails - Closer - The Downward Spiral

IfUwfXoyTSI

Portishead - Glory Box - Dummy

imrfo-uRjcE

jebus
29/07/2008, 6:12 PM
Suede - We Are The Pigs - Dog Man Star

4T7c-KK03ts

Blur - This Is A Low - Parklife

4WkynwohBew

Oasis - Slide Away - Definitely Maybe

RHcKcAzjlYA

jebus
29/07/2008, 6:17 PM
Green Day - Warning(not from) - Dookie

1gL5e986lxY

Pulp - Do You Remember The First Time - His N' Hers

iSzR5EZk_dc

Jeff Buckley - Last Goodbye - Grace

hm8JoMhgjRw

jebus
29/07/2008, 6:28 PM
Oh and anyone not voting Pulp gets an automatic two week suspension from the music forum :)

superfrank
29/07/2008, 7:00 PM
Go back to Zimbabwe, jebus.

I have to go for Ready To Die by Notorious BIG. Another great hip hop album (90's was the decade for great hip hop). This is Juicy, my favourite song on the album.

noTvdpAYeHE

OutKast's debut, Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik, is a close second.

Pauro 76
29/07/2008, 7:04 PM
Not forgetting Prodigy 'Music For the Jilted Generation', so much good music from that year. Voted Manics 'The Holy Bible'. Got into it relatively late, but the lyrics are amazing, so hard-hitting and the music so atmospheric. One of the best albums ever. i liked Oasis more at the time. but The Holy Bible is timeless. And why is it under 'Other'? Really cant choose between Portishead and Nine Inch Nails for runner up. Both haunting, amazing albums in completely different ways.

tetsujin1979
29/07/2008, 7:22 PM
Dookie, Troublegum, Superunknown, Far Beyond Driven, Vauxhall and I, Throwing Copper, Nirvana MTV Unplugged in New York all deserving of a mention, but I'm going for Definitely Maybe. Still Oasis' best album

Incidentally, paul_oshea can't vote for Motley Crue fast enough

The Good Son
29/07/2008, 7:39 PM
Other.
Let Love In - Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds.

monzo
29/07/2008, 10:05 PM
Frank Black's Teenager of the Year, if not slightly too long, is a pop masterpiece, so that.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBBu2O7Eioo

www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-1vRCzZYGY

Vitalogy is a close enough second since it's better than Ten and Vs imo. The Holy Bible in third place.

Wolfie
30/07/2008, 7:44 AM
Oasis - Definitely Maybe.

Holy Bible and Parklife both great albums also.

Bluebeard
30/07/2008, 7:48 AM
Oh and anyone not voting Pulp gets an automatic two week suspension from the music forum :)

Seconded!

noby
30/07/2008, 8:10 AM
Wow, the poll is barely open and already Oasis have it wrapped up.

Macy
30/07/2008, 9:36 AM
Oasis - Definitely Maybe. Their one great album, all down hill from there. Shows the difference from having years of songs to pick from and from having to keep producing new material.

Give me my two week ban now, as good as His N Hers is it doesn't beat Definitely Maybe. A lot of the music from that time doesn't stand the test of time too well, but it was a great time to be into Indie music when it was on the way up.

Neish
30/07/2008, 10:02 AM
Has to be Jeff Buckley - Grace imo.Can't belive its only got one vote so far

Lionel Ritchie
30/07/2008, 10:05 AM
Voted for Weezer from the list of availables. Was caught out in discovering that Come On Feel The Lemonheads was released right at the end of 93.

Music For the Jilted Generation deserves a commendation here too.

As for Pulp -I much prefer Different Class to His N Hers.

Looks like Status No have 1994 sewn up but I'm getting the warning in early ...if 1995 isn't a three-way slugfest between Heartworm, Mellon Collie and Presidents 1 I will personally butcher everyone who votes ...and I know where some of ye live.:cool:

jebus
30/07/2008, 10:05 AM
Has to be Jeff Buckley - Grace imo.Can't belive its only got one vote so far

Always thought it was rated far too highly, good album don't get me wrong, but bar Lover You Should've Come Over and his version of Hallelujah I really didn't get why it was rated so highly

Macy
30/07/2008, 10:28 AM
Looks like Status No have 1994 sown up but I'm getting the warning in early ...if 1995 isn't a three-way slugfest between Heartworm, Mellon Collie and Presidents 1 I will personally butcher everyone who votes ...and I know where some of ye live.:cool:
Unfortunately we already know where that's going - some even believe it's their best album. You'd best get sharpening you're blades...

lofty9
30/07/2008, 10:44 AM
Had to vote for Oasis. Saw them in the limelight in Belfast the night their album went to no1. If you look at the music the year before I think they put a bit of life and public interest to music. The rest of their albums, went downhill.

Portishead's was a great album to put on after bringing the ladies back to the dorms at college!

My most listened to album though would have been Soundgarden's Superunknown.

Lionel Ritchie
30/07/2008, 10:46 AM
Unfortunately we already know where that's going - some even believe it's their best album.

...By Lucifers Beard!!!! You're right! I thought that was a 96 release. Christ no.

You'd best get sharpening you're blades...

Maybe ...or maybe hatching a counter offensive ...constructing a straw man if you will.

Okay I will pledge to endorse ANY compromise candidate that looks like it could muster sufficient votes to wrench 95 away from it. I'll vote for feckin M People or Jamiroquia ... Jamiroquy ...Jammy Jam ...that tw@t ...if I have to.

centre mid
30/07/2008, 11:16 AM
A few I'd add to the list, The Holy Bible deserves a mention, couple of excellent tunes aboard, also no mention of Vaxhaull & I? dear dear dear..

I've picked Downward Spiral, not his best album but an amazing piece of work.

Lionel Ritchie
30/07/2008, 11:29 AM
A few I'd add to the list, The Holy Bible deserves a mention, couple of excellent tunes aboard, also no mention of Vaxhaull & I? dear dear dear..

I've picked Downward Spiral, not his best album but an amazing piece of work.

I mentioned Vauxhall & I in the Roses/Smiths thread and then neglected to here:o. I remember one review at the time stating it was the finest record Morrisey had ever been involved with bar none! High praise. Fantastic album.

Wolfie
30/07/2008, 11:49 AM
...By Lucifers Beard!!!! You're right! I thought that was a 96 release. Christ no.

Okay I will pledge to endorse ANY compromise candidate that looks like it could muster sufficient votes to wrench 95 away from it. I'll vote for feckin M People or Jamiroquia ... Jamiroquy ...Jammy Jam ...that tw@t ...if I have to.

Radiohead's "The Bends" could do the business, Lionel.

Its all personal opinion but I'd rate it higher than the foot.ie version of Macbeth.

Lionel Ritchie
30/07/2008, 12:14 PM
Radiohead's "The Bends" could do the business, Lionel.

Its all personal opinion but I'd rate it higher than the foot.ie version of Macbeth.

Just might. Like all of Radioheads albums -I only really like two songs on it but still.

KevB76
30/07/2008, 12:17 PM
Not forgetting Prodigy 'Music For the Jilted Generation',

Indeed, that gets my vote.

Bluebeard
30/07/2008, 12:26 PM
Can't believe I forgot about Vauxhall and I - cracking album, possibly the only one better than His n' Hers that year.

I'm with Lionel on this: I think that the good people should club together to remove the possibility of the evil that knows no end winning in 1995 - I too will vote for M People if need be...

Wolfie
30/07/2008, 12:34 PM
Can't believe I forgot about Vauxhall and I - cracking album, possibly the only one better than His n' Hers that year.

I'm with Lionel on this: I think that the good people should club together to remove the possibility of the evil that knows no end winning in 1995 - I too will vote for M People if need be...

I'm a fan of the band but have to admit there's a few albums more deserving of the 95 vote.

stann
30/07/2008, 3:23 PM
Waste of time having a poll for any year with an Oasis release in it, but would suggest the following should get a mention (one or two already have I think):

Beasties: Ill Communication (their best I think, of course it is, it has Sabotage on it!)
Hole: Live Through This (not cool but have always liked this one, specially Doll Parts, the song Courtney Love wrote when she thought she'd lost Cobain the first time, made more poignant by the second, slightly more permanent, loss)
Sonic Youth: Experimental Jet Set, Trash and No Star (always one of my favourite of theirs, even if not so critically acclaimed)
Prodigy: Music For The Jilted Generation (as mentioned)

and the one I am picking, the definitive downtempo classic IMO, Portishead me arse,
Massive Attack - Protection.

By the way, agree with whoever said Different Class is better than His 'n' Hers. Haven't thought about what else was out in '95 yet, but just maybe that one might give those overblown pub rockers a run for their money. Doubt it though...

gustavo
30/07/2008, 3:35 PM
Waste of time having a poll for any year with an Oasis release in it, but would suggest the following should get a mention (one or two already have I think):

Yea I cant wait till 2000 and the inevitable Standing on the Shoulder of Giants landslide:D

kingdom hoop
30/07/2008, 3:47 PM
Sweet Jebus, who said voting makes a difference?

Anyway I've gone for 'Other', Mano Negra's Casa Babylon being the one cos of the football-loving views espoused as well as that bit of rebellious spirit that seems appropriate as the Foot.ie militia -- bound by a will to die (or rig polls) in honour of Whipping Boy's Heartworm -- begin to mobilise.

stann
30/07/2008, 4:03 PM
Yea I cant wait till 2000 and the inevitable Standing on the Shoulder of Giants landslide:D

:D
The albums are pretty much all the same to me, you see, though I believe some people do think that there are detectable differences between them.

Neish
30/07/2008, 7:15 PM
Always thought it was rated far too highly, good album don't get me wrong, but bar Lover You Should've Come Over and his version of Hallelujah I really didn't get why it was rated so highly

Grace was completely different from anything else on that list and a did exactly what it said on the tin. Buckley was extremely talented and had a great vision for future recordings and IMO the biggest loss to music in the 90's. Ithink if he had still been alive he would be up there with names such as spingsteen. Grace, The Last Goodbye,So real, Dream brother all great songs,

BTW: Lover You Should've Come Over was on "Sketches for my sweetheart the drunk" not Grace.

jebus
30/07/2008, 8:02 PM
BTW: Lover You Should've Come Over was on "Sketches for my sweetheart the drunk" not Grace.

You sir are incorrect (http://artists.letssingit.com/jeff-buckley-album-grace-h6bvlx)

Neish
30/07/2008, 10:45 PM
You sir are incorrect (http://artists.letssingit.com/jeff-buckley-album-grace-h6bvlx)

Opps I stand corrected lent both grace & sketch to my sweetheart the drunk to a friend before xmas so have listened it in in ages. Must get it back

Pauro 76
31/07/2008, 5:01 AM
Oasis is walking it. It's a great album sure, but I felt there was plenty better that year. Surely they cant win 1995?

shakermaker1982
31/07/2008, 6:59 AM
Northern Soul has a chance against Morning Glory and maybe the bends.

Wolfie
31/07/2008, 7:10 AM
Given this is a democratic and open minded forum, where all hues of musical opinion are respected - we'd be letting ourselves down if there were any attempts to rig the '95 poll.

For example if there were any attempts to deliberately nudge people in the direction of voting for RADIOHEAD: THE BENDS for instance. ;)

So, just in case there is any confusion - RADIOHEAD - THE BENDS was released in 1995 and could be considered by many people album of the year for 1995.

noby
31/07/2008, 7:25 AM
There seems to be a couple of mentions, but I can't recall anyone actually voting for it (perhaps someone did), so:

Other: Morrissey - Vauxhall and I

just squeezing out Pulp, Nick Cave, Beck, Buckley, Portishead, Weezer etc. etc.

jebus
31/07/2008, 8:34 AM
Oasis is walking it. It's a great album sure, but I felt there was plenty better that year. Surely they cant win 1995?

There's a lot better in 1995 judging by some of the cuts I'll be making to the poll, there was a lot better in 1994 than our current poll leader as well though

Bluebeard
31/07/2008, 9:36 AM
Given this is a democratic and open minded forum, where all hues of musical opinion are respected - we'd be letting ourselves down if there were any attempts to rig the '95 poll.

For example if there were any attempts to deliberately nudge people in the direction of voting for RADIOHEAD: THE BENDS for instance. ;)

So, just in case there is any confusion - RADIOHEAD - THE BENDS was released in 1995 and could be considered by many people album of the year for 1995.

Just had a look - 19 so far have voted for Wah-wah-sis, 20 voted for anything else. Unfortunately, as this is a plainly more democratic forum than almost any parliamentary system going (Problem with that? Let's take it outside, to the Current affairs thread!) the people must have their say. And, if all the people were to vote together for some particular random album, The Bends by Radiohead, for example, then none could dispute the veracity of a victory for The Bends by Radiohead as being the victor. I completely agree with Wolfie that any attempt to sway people towards one side, that, say, of The Bends by Radiohead, for example would be most undemocratic, and in direct contradiction to the the ethos of the site...

Another thing coming to mind, Jebus, is that an album that is not on the list cannot win it...

Macy
31/07/2008, 9:54 AM
But it'd have to be a credible challenger, something that's a Different Class...

noby
31/07/2008, 10:00 AM
Put me in the same camp as Macy.
Unless there are rules against this sort of thing.
Let's check the rule book.
Perhaps a mod could check.

Lionel Ritchie
31/07/2008, 10:29 AM
Well unless Something's Changed for the worse I see no problem or inconsistency with leaving the vote in the hands of the Common People.

noby
31/07/2008, 10:44 AM
I had plans for the bank holiday weekend, but Something Changed, and on Monday Morning I will be going to Bar Italia to get Sorted For Es and Wizz, and see a Live Bed Show, where hopefully I Spy Underwear beneath a Pencil Skirt, and get a F.E.E.L.I.N...., ah screw this; everyone vote for Pulp, right!

Bluebeard
31/07/2008, 11:07 AM
ppose it would be a bit unusual to have a specific poll on Pulp v Radiohead (happy with either) on a different thread to see which is the album that all of us could, ahem, get behind?

EDIT: Just spotted - the dark powers are up to 50%:(

Pauro 76
31/07/2008, 11:17 AM
I had a NICE DREAM that the 1995 poll would be JUST. We don’t want to leave the result HIGH AND DRY. and us voters to SULK over the outcome.

stann
31/07/2008, 10:20 PM
No, came out in the summer of '94 alright.
That's the US amazon site, it must have been released later there.
edit: Yeah just noticed that one in the link is on Mute records, but the Prodigy were always on XL weren't they? Later US release so.

kingdom hoop
31/07/2008, 10:30 PM
Yeah released in the US in '95 I'd say. And yes, XL is also right.

Official site confirms (http://theprodigy.com/index.php/the-prodigy-albums).

SkStu
31/07/2008, 10:34 PM
****, id change my vote from Dookie to Music for the Jilted Generation if i had realised that... due to be re-released this year innit?

Pauro 76
01/08/2008, 5:33 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_for_the_jilted_generation

definitely 1994. Bloody good album too, and it still sounds great. Always thought Fat of the Land very overrated compared to this.

Bluebeard
01/08/2008, 9:30 AM
Just had a listen to Different Class and The Bends back to back, and am slightly favouring the former. EIther way, I hope one of them beats the usual opposition to a pulp...