PDA

View Full Version : Once in a lifetime - New York Cosmos

Rovers Maniac
28/07/2008, 11:03 AM
I got this last night, really worth a watch and is the story of the New York Cosmos and the NASL. I think it is applicable to the League of Ireland as they tried nearly everything to get the crowds through the gate. Anyway i think we could learn a lot from them and how they could get sell out crowds of 77,000 in Giants Stadium.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0489247/

jebus
28/07/2008, 11:18 AM
I can think of at least two other forums you should posted this in :rolleyes:

Macy
28/07/2008, 11:28 AM
How about in the AILP league? I mean, how are the Cosmos and the NASL doing now?

Rovers Maniac
28/07/2008, 11:31 AM

Jebus you need to think outside the box, this is the attitude that holds back the league. Stop forcing round pegs into square holes ! :mad:

Rovers Maniac
28/07/2008, 11:34 AM
How about in the AILP league? I mean, how are the Cosmos and the NASL doing now?

Changed its name to MLS

http://web.mlsnet.com/index.jsp

Theskinloyal
28/07/2008, 11:41 AM
I remember I saw that on BBC2 a while back, it's a quality film.

I don't think there's much the LOI could learn from it though, they had bucketloads of cash to spread around (ultimately they spread it around too thinly) on the world's best players, albeit that they were past their prime they were still quality.

Macy
28/07/2008, 11:43 AM
Changed its name to MLS

http://web.mlsnet.com/index.jsp
Did you even watch the programme you're linking too?

Dodge
28/07/2008, 11:44 AM
Moved to world football. You obviously haven't read the book if you think that their model is the one to copy.

I have read it. interesting story, poorly written book though

Denis The Red
28/07/2008, 1:05 PM

Yeah, there's a new "History" thread for the auld fellas who think football was better "when I was a lad".

Metrostars
30/07/2008, 12:40 PM
Yes the documentary is well worth a look. Some of the stuff they got up to in the 70's is quite a laugh. The thing about NASL and the Cosmos in particular was that they threw a lot of money at it especially paying big stars like Pele, Beckenbauer, Marsh, Best, Cryuff, etc. I think the thing that sparked the downfall was when they were supposed to get a TV deal with ABC and it fell through at the last minute. With no TV coverage, less fans came and it went belly up.

I would have to say regarding MLS, while it had a few dodgy years, they are doing quite well. While MLS does not get a huge number at games (avg about 15K), it is predicted they will turn a profit for the first time in 2010. A number of the owners such as Anshutz and Kraft have taken a heavy beating losing money every year but they stuck it out and will reap rewards in the future. Nearly all the teams have (or are building) new stadiums, typically sized about 25-30K, so they wont have to play in what normally looks like empty NFL stadiums.