PDA

View Full Version : Article about the League in Tribune

paudie
27/07/2008, 10:26 PM
http://www.tribune.ie/sport/soccer/article/2008/jul/27/money-talks-sponsors-walk/

Tribune coverage of the league is usually shocking but this article is pretty fair and factual.
No comparision between it and the hatchet job done by Kelly in the Indo, as highlighted in another thread.

amaccann
28/07/2008, 8:02 AM
It's better written than the Indo article, but it still doesn't hide the fact that 9 times out of 10, the Tribune has 0 LoI coverage; often it doesn't even have the Saturday scores or any more space than the lower English leagues. And it takes a crisis / negative to prompt an article about the league.

CJTheGull
28/07/2008, 8:32 AM
It's better written than the Indo article, but it still doesn't hide the fact that 9 times out of 10, the Tribune has 0 LoI coverage; often it doesn't even have the Saturday scores or any more space than the lower English leagues. And it takes a crisis / negative to prompt an article about the league.

True - they have a load of (excellent) GAA coverage every Sunday but quite often 0% League of Ireland. Literally not even one word about it which reflects badly on them. They have a sports magazine every month aswell and although I just had a quick flick through it there seems to be absolutely nothing on Irish soccer yet again.

Newspaper wise it's the best of a bad bunch on a Sunday but the balance of the sports coverage is shocking.

fergalr
28/07/2008, 1:00 PM
Said it before - the Tribune's coverage of the LOI is nothing short of a disgrace. Its so bad that I'm starting to get paranoid that they have an agenda going on - there was another article about the GAA racism episode in Cavan that somehow managed to make more references to footie than that actual incident last week that was in the news.

pete
28/07/2008, 1:14 PM
Good article. I haven't bought the Tribune for years as sports coverage is poor. I have no interest in GAA & while I do have interest in rugby not keen on 4-5 pages of it.

Straightstory
28/07/2008, 2:02 PM
Feel I've read that article about a thousand times. Was there any mention of Drogs v Kiev in the Champions' League - probably the most prestegious tournament in European sport? I presume not.

elroy
29/07/2008, 2:59 PM
Feel I've read that article about a thousand times. Was there any mention of Drogs v Kiev in the Champions' League - probably the most prestegious tournament in European sport? I presume not.

There was a large enough article above it on the Drogs Kiev game but it mainly went into the Kiev history and teams of old as opposed to Drogs.

Its about the second week in a month that the tribune has had a large article on the state of the LOI, neither of them particularly upbeat.