PDA

View Full Version : If I liked these....

CraftyToePoke
27/07/2008, 1:23 AM
some advice required here please boyos and girlies....

I like a good movie, but dont have time or inclination to be wading through the seemingly near endless conveyor belt of sheeite that the mainstream passes off as movies, I dont care much for special effects or love scenes or heroes or leading men/ladies, needless killing, feelgood movies, love stories, etc etc.........

I liked, Snatch, Fargo, No Country For Old Men, Withnail And I, Fight Club, Trainspotting, Tres Lounge (Steve Buschemi directed I think), The Big Lebowski, Alien, Blade Runner, .... stuff like that mostly.

but the ammount of tripe Ive suffered which has annoyed my brain just to find that handfull has been harrowing and left me scarred and generally sceptical about the whole game.........

So, I respectfully ask ye, if I liked the above, what else might I enjoy?

all help apreciated, particularly if avoids any more of my life wasted on films equivalent of Phil Collins producing the next effing Coldplay record.

thanks.

gustavo
27/07/2008, 2:23 AM
Sling Blade
A Simple Plan

are two anyway that spring to mind

tetsujin1979
27/07/2008, 2:25 AM
You should check out "Thank You For Smoking"
Aaron Eckard is the man in a film that reverses all the usual liberal stereotypes, while re-enforcing them at the same time
Also "Friday Night Lights" - just a great film that never received the praise it derserves
If you're looking for something a little off the beaten track, try "My Blueberry Nights". Strange film, but anything with Natalie Portman warrants a rental, in my book

Neish
27/07/2008, 4:09 PM
Check out
La Haine:http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0113247/
(Its in french with subtitles and black and white but a great show)

Dead Man's Shoeshttp://www.imdb.com/title/tt0419677/
Great revenage film

jebus
27/07/2008, 5:16 PM
Thank You For Smoking is a good one, also try Bottle Rocket, Into The Wild, Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas, The Warzone (it's about incest mind), La Haine, Hidden, The Lives Of Others, The Royal Tenanbaums, The Savages....ah there's loads more, but try those anyway

Neish
27/07/2008, 8:22 PM
Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas, , The Royal Tenanbaums,

Was also gonna mention these but he said he doesn't like leading men women

anto1208
28/07/2008, 8:47 AM
Pans Labyrinth and the Orphanage Two recent films from Del Toro beautiful weird and wonderfully spooky They are subtitled.

American History X and city of God two I saw again recently and had forgotten how good they where.

NeilMcD
28/07/2008, 9:01 AM
Just saw the visitor, and that is pretty good as is Sideways.

Being John Malkovich, Adaptation are both very good also.

shakermaker1982
28/07/2008, 9:45 AM
The Departed
Memento
Proposition
Zodiac

If you like Blade Runner and Alien then I'd say you'd like the first Matrix movie.

Neil's two Spike Jonze movies are also good calls.

noby
28/07/2008, 10:06 AM
A few have been mentioned, but work your way through the Coen Brothers back catalogue.

HarpoJoyce
29/07/2008, 3:05 AM
Many posters above have mentioned or grouped similiar films together, including the same personalities, I think that's great advice. Maybe follow the one director/actor/ even distributor like Miramax.

Sean Penn directed Jack Nicholson in
The Pledge (2001) which I recommend and also
The Crossing Guard (1995) havn't seen it yet but it has a dark storyline as well.

Mike Leigh does very good English suburban drama
Naked (mid-nineties) is very dark though, even considered miserable by some. Secrets and Lies is one of his most popular and he has a new one out Happy-go-lucky

Two actors I became aware of from the film Naked Katrin Cartlidge (RIP) and David Thewlis

Peter Greenaway does alot of colourful imagery or strict themes in his movies. Attracts good actors aswel.
Drowning by Numbers
The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover
The Pillow Book

Terry Gilliam (of the Monty Python troupe) likes imagery and dream sequences. Brazil (totalitarian future) and Jabberwocky (execellent Medieval scenes.)

Wolfie
31/07/2008, 7:31 AM
I liked, Snatch, Fargo, No Country For Old Men, Withnail And I, Fight Club, Trainspotting, Tres Lounge (Steve Buschemi directed I think), The Big Lebowski, Alien, Blade Runner, .... stuff like that mostly

"Rounders" is worth checking out. It's about the underground world of high stakes poker. Ed Norton, Matt Damon and John Malcovich. Norton is excellent.

Training Day
Seven
American History X
High Fidelity
The Grifter
Collatoral

sligoman
31/07/2008, 4:38 PM
You might like Hard Candy. A thirteen year old girl keeps a man tied up in his own home. Interesting stuffJust watched that now, weird but good all the same.

cheifo
31/07/2008, 10:24 PM
Even though Hard Candy had a lot going for it, I felt a bit sick watching it sometimes.

tetsujin1979
01/08/2008, 11:15 AM
Even though Hard Candy had a lot going for it, I felt a bit sick watching it sometimes.
try watching the Woodsman, probably the hardest film I've ever had to sit through

beautifulrock
01/08/2008, 11:30 AM
Crash, well worth a look

John83
01/08/2008, 1:11 PM
I liked, Snatch, Fargo, No Country For Old Men, Withnail And I, Fight Club, Trainspotting, Tres Lounge (Steve Buschemi directed I think), The Big Lebowski, Alien, Blade Runner, .... stuff like that mostly.
Fargo, No Country for Old Men and The Big Lebowski are all by the Coen brothers. Their other films:
Blood Simple
Raising Arizona
Miller's Crossing
Barton Fink
The Hudsucker Proxy
O Brother, Where Art Thou?
The Man Who Wasn't There
Intolerable Cruelty
The Ladykillers
Paris, je t'aime
They've a couple coming up: Burn After Reading and A Serious Man.

Fargo is about as black as comedy goes, but maybe try some stuff like Dr Strangelove, Mash and Grosse Pointe Blank. If you like any of these, try more of Peter Sellers, the Mash TV series and Martin Cusack respectively.

Lebowski is the classic stoner comedy. Maybe give Clerks a go.

If you liked Snatch, then try Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, by the same guy. Revolver might also be worth a look. Some stuff starring Jason Statham may also work - they're sillier and more action-based, but The Transporter and Crank might suit you.

Trainspotting is by a guy called Danny Boyle. Given you also like Alien, I'd highly recommend another Boyle film called Sunshine. It's similar to Alien in that it's set on a spaceship, and the atmosphere gets quite claustrophobic, though it's more thriller than horror. He's also done a proper horror in 28 Days Later, which is a zombie film set in England. You might also like American Beauty and Reqium for a Dream. Withnail And I was written and directed by Bruce Robinson, and starred Richard E. Grant. I'd suggest the slightly obscure How to Get Ahead in Advertising, which is by the same guys.

Fight Club was directed by David Fincher, who also made Se7en and Zodiac both of which are highly regarded. The novel Fight Club is based on is by Chuck Palinuck. Another of his novels has just been turned into a film, Choke, though there's no release date here yet. You might try a few of Palinuck's books while you're at it. Lullaby is a fairly demented example.

Trees Lounge, I'm not familiar with.

Alien and Blade Runner are directed by Ridley Scott, who has a bunch of other famous films, though they're in a fairly different style. Gladiator, Hannibal, Black Hawk Down and Thelma & Louise stand out. As far as similar science fiction goes, try 2001 a Space Odyssey (stylish, claustrophobic thriller set on a spaceship), Aliens (action where Alien had horror, but just as good. Give the other Alien sequels a miss), Nolan's Batman films (Batman Begins and The Dark Knight - the latter has been compared with No Country for Old Men by a few critics I listen to), and maybe try Dune (YMMV. Adapted from what's widely regarded the best sci-fi novel ever), Cube and Pitch Black (decent sci-fi horror).

tetsujin1979
01/08/2008, 1:36 PM
If you liked Snatch, then try Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, by the same guy. Revolver might also be worth a look.Revolver is utter drivel, it makes exactly no sense. Along with Swept Away, it nearly ruined Guy Ritchie's career. RocknRolla better be one hell of a film to rescue him.
Some stuff starring Jason Statham may also work - they're sillier and more action-based, but The Transporter and Crank might suit you.Crank I'd recommend, it's nuts, but it works. Kind of like Speed meets The Running Man, and there's a sequel due out this year. The Transporter still holds the title of the worst film I ever paid money to see.

Morbo
01/08/2008, 3:32 PM
I was a bit disappointed the young one didn't get killed. She annoyed me

Haha me too, I felt kinda guilty watching it cos I was rooting for a paedo to kill a kid

Anyway films I'd recommend that haven't been mentioned yet: Falling down, Leon, the Thing, Sleepers, Donnie Brasco etc

Kingdom
01/08/2008, 4:57 PM
Check out
La Haine:http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0113247/
(Its in french with subtitles and black and white but a great show)

Dead Man's Shoeshttp://www.imdb.com/title/tt0419677/
Great revenage film

I'll second dead mans shoes. Excellent movie. PAddy Considine is a super actor.

ken foree
04/08/2008, 7:20 PM

you might like Children of Men, if you haven't already seen it? good action flick and they get the doomed, dystopian atmosphere just right in many places. other films with some shared themes you could check out are Videodrome (Cronenberg) and the original Dawn of the Dead (Romero). the first two Terminator movies i'm betting you've already seen and should probably be mandatory viewing for anyone who likes Alien and Blade runner! if you liked Fargo you might try The Straight Story (David Lynch), for No Country check out A Touch of Evil (Orson Welles, first role for Charlton Heston), for Trainspotting maybe Requiem for a Dream (director's name escapes me).

CraftyToePoke
08/08/2008, 12:11 AM
Thanks to everyone who has replied to this so far, some movies i'll definately be checking out.

Ive seen a few of the ones mentioned, which I hadnt included in the opening post, for example, La Haine, and ive really liked them, so im sure im on the right track here, finally.

So, nice one eveyrone, and thanks again for ridding CTP's life of the movie equivilant of SPAM. Ill get you a beer should the oppertunity ever arise to do so.