PDA

View Full Version : Topaz

dahamsta
26/07/2008, 11:25 AM
What the hell is going on with this crowd? Are they buying themselves into a monopoly or what? When did they decide to go into the retail market? Who's behind the company?

adam

pete
26/07/2008, 11:47 AM
They bought out Statoil & Sell Ireland. Management has several former Emo, StatOil & Sell execs.

I think they are focused a lot on expanding the retail sector of the forecourt which is where the profit is.

There is one down the road from me (former StatOil) but not seen that many in Dublin.

soccerc
26/07/2008, 11:48 AM
What the hell is going on with this crowd? Are they buying themselves into a monopoly or what? When did they decide to go into the retail market? Who's behind the company?

adam

Most expensive fuel around.

Bought Shell and Statoil

All you need to know about them (http://www.topazenergy.ie/)

Dodge
26/07/2008, 12:03 PM
There is one down the road from me (former StatOil) but not seen that many in Dublin.

Preety much everywhere in Dublin. By far the most perol stations I've seen anyway

Terry
26/07/2008, 12:20 PM
I see they are pushing up their prices over the next week or so also to 147.99! Its amazing the price difference if you shop around. In galway the average price for deisel is 145.99. I go to castlebar twice a week, for work reasons, and go by ballindine where i get my deisel at 135.99, a lot of savings when Im using around 180 litres per week.

dahamsta
26/07/2008, 1:19 PM
It's not just Statoil and Shell stations they've taken over though, I'm sure they have a few Esso garages down here too.

How the hell were they allowed to buy TWO fuel distributors? What was the competition commissioner doing at the time, inserting or removing a finger from his or her nostril?

Prices are 141.9 or 142.9 down here, depending on location.

adam

soccerc
26/07/2008, 1:58 PM
It's not just Statoil and Shell stations they've taken over though, I'm sure they have a few Esso garages down here too.

How the hell were they allowed to buy TWO fuel distributors? What was the competition commissioner doing at the time, inserting or removing a finger from his or her nostril?

adam

Begs the question, why only one Competition Authority :D

They've also been purchasing the freeholds on independent franchise operators and re branding

John83
26/07/2008, 4:22 PM
Begs the question, why only one Competition Authority :D
:) That reminds me, the equality, data protection and human rights bodies are going to be merged by the government. Worth a thread here?

Ringo
26/07/2008, 5:20 PM

adam

What we need is more Tesco & Apple Green stations. as well as been cheaper , they've forced our local maxol to drop prices

http://www.pumps.ie/index.php

tetsujin1979
27/07/2008, 2:13 AM
Topaz took over the Shell station closest to me in Mulhaddart village. Since then, petrol has dropped by more than 2c a litre. When I filled up last thursday, it was 1.28c a litre, so I'm not complaining!

ramsfan
27/07/2008, 5:13 AM
a lot of the statoils stations in cork seem to be gettin a paint job, have seen no difference in price though

Terry
27/07/2008, 8:13 AM
Agree with what someone said there about tesco fuels. Was in killarney for the holidays a couple of months ago and we went for some shopping. They were offering five cents a litre off when you spent more than €50 on shopping (which was easy enough when shopping for five people). Anyway, the price was 121.9 for the petrol with the five cents off it came down to 116.9 a litre, great value ! Only one tesco in Galway but no pumps !!!!!

dahamsta
27/07/2008, 12:54 PM
Topaz took over the Shell station closest to me in Mulhaddart village. Since then, petrol has dropped by more than 2c a litre. When I filled up last thursday, it was 1.28c a litre, so I'm not complaining!How long do you think that's going to last exactly? You understand that pricing and marketing often go hand in hand, right?

Lionel Ritchie
27/07/2008, 1:02 PM
They've been refitting several Limerick city stations over the last few days -former statoils on the Dock road and Ennis Road as well as former shells on the Ennis road and New road Thomondgate.

This was announced some time ago. I was a bit surprised there wasn't more about it at the time as it seemed quite anti-competetive.

Cheapest Unleaded I've seen any time lately (1.29) was in an independent filling station out the road in Newport, Co. Tipperary yesterday.

pete
27/07/2008, 5:53 PM
Topaz are owned by ION Equity. It was mentioned are part of small article in the Sunday Business Post.

I have noticed more stations going Independent & these seem to have cheapest price & smallest shops.

OneRedArmy
27/07/2008, 7:46 PM
I think Topaz were also a property play (wasn't everything?) with the idea of selling off valuable city centre locations for development.

As diesel has got even more expensive (both on an absolute level and also comparative to petrol) counter-intuitively there seems to be less and less price competition out there.

I try and go to Apple or Tesco if I can remember to plan ahead rather than let the indicator hit the bottom and play a game of chicken with myself, hunting around for somewhere.....

L37Ultra
27/07/2008, 8:03 PM
I would say nearly every second petrol station in Limerick is now Topaz. They just seemed to pop up over night. The Dock road is a prime example where there was a Shell and Statoil within metres of each other but now they are both Topaz.

pete
28/07/2008, 9:12 AM
The Dock road is a prime example where there was a Shell and Statoil within metres of each other but now they are both Topaz.

Explained by the fact that Topaz bought the distribution network of StatOil & Shell. 2+2=...

onceahoop
14/08/2008, 10:26 PM
Most expensive fuel around.

Bought Shell and Statoil

All you need to know about them (http://www.topazenergy.ie/)

Passed a Maxol garage beside the Omni in Santry today and noticed diesel at€1.30 per litre. Swung into the Omni and Topaz selling Diesel at €1.34. Obviously the profits are in the shop.