PDA

View Full Version : AIPL Proposal - How would you do it?

gufcfan
25/07/2008, 12:07 PM
With all the lively debate for and against in the other thread, I thought it would be interesting to get people opinions on how exactly it should be done.

If you don't agree with the AIPL in principle, stick to the other thread.

Many people have posted that they are not in favour of the proposal, but don't really detail how they might like to see it run.

pineapple stu
25/07/2008, 12:23 PM
I'd go with a 16-team league, top ten from the LoI and top 6 from the IL qualifying for the first season. Undecided on summer or winter football. Regional First Divisions below that; three down, regional winners up and a play off for the last spot. I'd put Jim Roddy into a rocket and send him to the moon, which is where he seems to reside mentally anyway.

I've put as much thought into this as Platinum One have, and I confidently predict it'll boost the league by however much your wildest dreams are.

Obviously it goes without saying that I would like to see an AIL, but there's more obstacles in its way than most people realise.

jebus
25/07/2008, 12:32 PM
I would have an initial 16 team AIPL consisting of Derry, Cork, Bohs, Rovers, Limerick, Linfield, Glentoran, Drogheda, Galway, Pats, Dundalk, Shels, Cliftonville, UCD, Sligo and Waterford, and I would focus the initial outlay of money on clubs like Limerick, Galway, Rovers, Sligo, Waterford, Shels and Cliftonville (basically the weakest financially of the pack) to bring them up to speed with the rest.

From there, and with the co-operation of the IFA and FAI, I would have 2 seperate leagues below the AIPL. A combination of Ulster and Leinster teams and a combination of Munster and Connaught teams (teams that didn't make the cut, and junior teams looking to push on). I would, again with the FAI and IFA's backing, focus the FAI funding on these clubs, trying to bring them up to a level where it wouldn't be a huge jump up to the AIPL if they made it. I would close relegation/promotion for one season to try and achieve this, and from then on in I would automatically relegate the bottom AIPL team and promote the winner of a playoff between the champions of the two prospective leagues. The relegated AIPL team would then take their place in their corresponding league, with the team that finished bottom of that league being sent back to the juniors for at least a season. Ideally there would a pyramid structure taking the progression of relegation all the way down to the various junior leagues.

Basically you need the FAI and the IFA to browbeat the junior clubs into accepting that they will now be apart of one big structure, with the AIPL at it's head. The situation that we have, with the juniors hatred for the LoI, is unacceptable, and is at fault with a lot of what is wrong in Irish football if you aks me. By adding financial incentives from the FAI and the IFA to the regional clubs I would hope they could be brought in from the cold.

This is all idle speculation though, as I can't see the juniors going for it, I doubt the FAI and the IFA would be happy, and that's not even mentioning Uefa, but that's the system I'd propose. I think clubs like UCD, Galway and Limerick have a lot of potential if given the right backing, and to be fair to Sporting Fingal I would merge them into Shelbourne, there's not enough room in the new system for both of them and Shels have the history and the name to entice new fans easier. Cobh, Kildare, Monaghan and the rest would be given the season to get things in order (with the FAI's backing) in the hopes that they could survive in the AIPL when they come up.

Oh and I'd go for summer football. I think the AIPL's market is in family entertainment and summer football is more attractive in that respect

passinginterest
25/07/2008, 12:40 PM
Ok here goes. Initially stick to a mainly summer season.

First season would see a straight merger between the leagues. Top tier of 20 teams the 10 premier division sides from North ans South with the first divisions remaining as they are.

Over the next 2 seasons the premier division would be reduced to 16 teams with three teams relegated and one promoted. Promotion would involve a playoff system. The top team in South 1 would meet second team in North 1 over two legs and vica versa. The playoff final would be at a major neutral venue in South one year and North the next.

Relegation might cause problems with the bottom divisions if the 3 relegated teams were from the North and the promoted team was from the South. Realignment would be necessary with teams furthest North in the South division re-located to the North in order to maintain even numbers.

After the first two years you end up with a top all-Ireland league with 16 teams, split at worst 10-6 in favour of Southern sides. The South and North leagues would have 14 teams each, with potentially further regional leagues below them (A league). Promotion would be two up two down, 2 legged playoffs with first in South playing second in North and vica versa. Relegated teams will be placed in most suitable region, with realignment allowed at the end of each season to best accommodate teams.

GavinZac
25/07/2008, 12:43 PM
Is there any limitations? Any sort of connection to reality? Things like paying out large sums of half a 16 team league just so they're in anyway decent are very nice thoughts but in reality probably as far-fetched as "150% attendance increase in the first season".

jebus
25/07/2008, 12:46 PM
Is there any limitations? Any sort of connection to reality? Things like paying out large sums of half a 16 team league just so they're in anyway decent are very nice thoughts but in reality probably as far-fetched as "150% attendance increase in the first season".

True, but we are playing God here, not actually proposing 150% attendance increases

pete
25/07/2008, 12:47 PM
I would focus the initial outlay of money on clubs like Limerick, Galway, Rovers, Sligo, Waterford, Shels and Cliftonville (basically the weakest financially of the pack) to bring them up to speed with the rest.

So these clubs would be subsidised with FAI/IFA money to what purpose? Why should the worse run clubs be subsidised? Lets face it Galway & Sligo have shown incredible poor financial planning to date. At least Galway realised their mistakes & tried to make changes quickly.

GavinZac
25/07/2008, 12:54 PM
True, but we are playing God here, not actually proposing 150% attendance increases

Alright then, playing god, we have a 16 team league similar to what passing interest suggests and a pyramidal structure all the way down. Each team gets 60,000 at their home games and prize money of 30 million is distributed between participants. Cork City win every second year, not every year as we like a good moan. This agreement is with the organisers in Dublin so then we can legitimately claim that only Dublin's convictions stopped us from winning every year.

And so on.

jebus
25/07/2008, 12:58 PM
Alright then, playing god, we have a 16 team league similar to what passing interest suggests and a pyramidal structure all the way down. Each team gets 60,000 at their home games and prize money of 30 million is distributed between participants. Cork City win every second year, not every year as we like a good moan. This agreement is with the organisers in Dublin so then we can legitimately claim that only Dublin's convictions stopped us from winning every year.

And so on.

Making friends as ever I see Gav :rolleyes:

So these clubs would be subsidised with FAI/IFA money to what purpose? Why should the worse run clubs be subsidised? Lets face it Galway & Sligo have shown incredible poor financial planning to date. At least Galway realised their mistakes & tried to make changes quickly.

To the purpose of bringing the clubs that have dug themselves into a financial hole up to scratch. This league won't work if after a few months Limerick or Sligo or Galway go bust and we get even more doom and gloom stories in the papers. It would only reaffirm the belief that this league is unworkable, and to be honest this is practically a last throw of the dice

GavinZac
25/07/2008, 1:01 PM
Making friends as ever I see Gav :rolleyes:

Without some basis in reality this thread is useless. I'm not sure there's even any point in going through how unrealistic many of the suggestions already have been as you yourself accept that and we've been doing it for quite a while in the other thread.

jebus
25/07/2008, 1:04 PM
Without some basis in reality this thread is useless. I'm not sure there's even any point in going through how unrealistic many of the suggestions already have been as you yourself accept that and we've been doing it for quite a while in the other thread.

And your first post didn't make that clear enough? We're all aware that this is a pie in the sky thread, we don't need you marching in here with your usual condescending nonsense to make us aware of that

Macy
25/07/2008, 1:08 PM
16 team premier, decided on purely on football basis once the have the required licence. 3 down, 3 up a season - top of FAI league, top of the IFA league, with a play off for the final place (2nd & 3rd in both leagues playing off).

Wouldn't be arsed with pushing the professional, as more important that it's sustainable, so would keep elements like the wage cap (properly enforced).

Anything else would be purely aspirational - so copy and paste the marketing that P1 claim will work if you really think their going to magic the crowds and TV deal out of think air.

GavinZac
25/07/2008, 1:09 PM
And your first post didn't make that clear enough? We're all aware that this is a pie in the sky thread, we don't need you marching in here with your usual condescending nonsense to make us aware of that
I agree with passinginterest wholeheartedly - its the ideal situation and one that would the norm in a country of our size barring the whole north/side partition - and the rest of my post was (obviously misplaced) humour.

Don't let that get in the way of a bit of narky personal attacks though :)

gufcfan
25/07/2008, 1:16 PM

I don't think that either Galway or Sligo can be singled out for that. Give it till the end of the season and I'm sure that my point will be proved. Granted though, neither club can deny they have made mistakes.

Dodge
25/07/2008, 1:24 PM
16 team premier, decided on purely on football basis once the have the required licence... would keep elements like the wage cap (properly enforced).

Anything else would be purely aspirational - so copy and paste the marketing that P1 claim will work if you really think their going to magic the crowds and TV deal out of think air.
The wage cap is part of the club license. I'd keep that 100% intact.
I know the IFA has thier own license but ours is more stringent, and no way should we allow our standards (or at least the standards we aim for) slip

gufcfan
25/07/2008, 1:30 PM
The wage cap is part of the club license. I'd keep that 100% intact.
I know the IFA has thier own license but ours is more stringent, and no way should we allow our standards (or at least the standards we aim for) slip

Couldn't agree more.

The wage cap may be seen as a nuisance, but it forces clubs to be responsible and flags ones that aren't fairly soon.

Its for their own good, whether they like it or not.

jinxy lilywhite
25/07/2008, 1:38 PM
For me a Premier 16 team play home and away. Personally i'd prefer winter football. The teams would be Linfield, Glentoran, Derry City, Cliftonville, Dundalk, Drogheda(although these may be put into the Irish Basketball association considering their style of football), Bohs, Pats, Shamrock Rovers, Bray, Waterford, Cork City, Limerick, Sligo & Galway. 3 Teams from Dublin and Belfast is enough at the moment.
we would then have a first consisting of the next best 16 teams- UCD, Harps, Cobh, Shels, Portadown, Ballymena etc. A straight 3 up/ 3 down but we may steal a play off style situation from England in the First division. The bottom team of this league will be immediately relegated.
A third tier to be set up on a provinicial basis where the winners will enter into a round robin league and the winners will qualify to the first.
Strict guidelines to be introduced to each club in relation to promotion, expenditure, wages. I would even go as far as cut the wage cap from 65% to 50% and enforce that a certain % of the remiander. Admin expenses not to exceed 5% of turnover. Directors loans would be abolished and all income to be made via gate receipts, shirt sales, donations, patron schemes so on and so forth. Also remortgaging of grounds, assests and disolution of fixed assets to have strict guidelines attached too.
Far fetched but i feel every club needs to be involved

thedoyler
25/07/2008, 1:45 PM
For me a Premier 16 team play home and away. Personally i'd prefer winter football. The teams would be Linfield, Glentoran, Derry City, Cliftonville, Dundalk, Drogheda(although these may be put into the Irish Basketball association considering their style of football), Bohs, Pats, Shamrock Rovers, Bray, Waterford, Cork City, Limerick, Sligo & Galway. 3 Teams from Dublin and Belfast is enough at the moment.
we would then have a first consisting of the next best 16 teams- UCD, Harps, Cobh, Shels, Portadown, Ballymena etc. A straight 3 up/ 3 down but we may steal a play off style situation from England in the First division. The bottom team of this league will be immediately relegated.
A third tier to be set up on a provinicial basis where the winners will enter into a round robin league and the winners will qualify to the first.
Strict guidelines to be introduced to each club in relation to promotion, expenditure, wages. I would even go as far as cut the wage cap from 65% to 50% and enforce that a certain % of the remiander. Admin expenses not to exceed 5% of turnover. Directors loans would be abolished and all income to be made via gate receipts, shirt sales, donations, patron schemes so on and so forth. Also remortgaging of grounds, assests and disolution of fixed assets to have strict guidelines attached too.

First idea I've read in this forum but finally someone is talking sense i'm sure the rest of this forum echo these sentiments, the exclusive nature of this league is what a lot of people i know including myself have a problem with!

SalvadorSanchez
25/07/2008, 1:57 PM
First off the starting point here is to expand the Setanta cup and see how it works in generating interest over say, 5 season, 6 groups of 4, 12 north and 12 south (with a seeding system based on recent league positions etc.) with home and away ties and then 1/4 finals etc. bulk of prize money distributed to top 8 clubs and something for all participants. if this works out then look at rolling out an AIL.

I think to have any chance we'd be talking summer season (would really boost attendance for NI teams as they have don't have summer Gah/rugger fixtures) 16 teams, 2 automatic relegation places, (and a relegation /promotion play-off?)
Definitely no relegation promotion in year 1 to allow teams to stabilise themselves and to calm down tier 2 as well! (you could compensate those tier 2 teams missing out on promtion with say €150,000 cash each)

The big issue for the clubs is generating the interest in the league and maintaining it, so there has to be strong marketing and improvement of grounds (mainly in NI).

The hardest sell will be to get the blazers in Belfast to come onboard, the clubs would love the opportunity and would welcome the revenue, it's also vital that the tier 2 league has decent opportunity for promotion / relegation to keep the clubs going, therefore you need 2 or 3 places for promotion.

I think the key is getting more than Linfield and the Glens in there and then adding Derry as a NI team, it's simply not enough to get NI teams to buy into the idea, all the talk and money in world won't achieve anything unless the NI clubs come out strongly in favour, therefore the leagues need to develop links (Setanta cup, Friendlies, Tournaments etc.) and we need the help the NI teams sell this to their blazers and to Stormont (who will be paying for Ground developments, security etc.)
Also any aggro will result in Stormont going..."endangering the peace dividend and goodwill" which means scaring off investment in NI if riots make the news!! we have to be sure that the PSNI and the Gardaí buy in as well

superfrank
25/07/2008, 1:59 PM
18-team Premier with 4 to be relegated. Below that two regional divisions (North & South) with the top two in each going up.

Keep the wage cap. If it can be arranged, bigger prize money and keep the promise that the national team sponsors must invest in the domestic league, say at a 50/50 split.

Louth4sam
25/07/2008, 2:02 PM

I'd agree with all of that except the choice of teams, i think that teams should be chosen from their league positions. Probably 12 from Ireland and 4 from the North. I like your idea of not regionalising the 1st division. Would make it more competitive plus the teams in it should be able afford the extra travel expenses. If split in two you would have a far stronger 1st division south than first division north, unless you added teams like Dundalk, Finn harps, sligo to the northern first division.

passinginterest
25/07/2008, 2:11 PM
Essential to the success of my first proposal would be increased monitoring of club finances and ground improvements. A salary cap would have to be strictly enforced and investments and donations strictly monitored. The clubs would be given the first two season to get their houses in order, with those failing to meet requirements being relegated or denied prize money. I think grounds could be upgraded all around with investment from the FAI and IFA (which might also secure long term prospects and keep property developers at bay), as well as this I'm sure cross border organisations and both Governments would be keen to see the idea succeed and may make funds available (I'd imagine this would only be the case in an inclusive league, unlike the Platinum One proposal).

Big Ears
25/07/2008, 2:17 PM
The league wouldn't begin till all prospective sides have their financial house in order and have adequate facilities .

Drogheda's stadium is not up to standard and although I know it's very unfortunate that they're having such trouble with building a ground I wouldn't be in favour of allowing United Park to be used .

I'm not sure other clubs will be up to the off the field standard required anyway so Drogheda may have their stadium built before that changes or they would have to groundshare for a little while .

The 65% wage cap should definitely be kept, it helps stop clubs from being stupidly ambitious or at least going the wrong way about being stupidly ambitious .

Promotion and Relegation should be open from day one, which is why I feel we may need a few years to get everything right off the field as clubs are going to be going straight up after the first season .

a 10 team AIPL consisting of the top 4 IL sides from the previous season and the top 6 LOI sides from previous season . This would likely give us 5 Northern teams and 5 teams from the Republic as Derry would presumely finish in the LOI top 6 . Even if they didn't the difference in strength between the leagues mean that there should be more LOI sides .

Under that you would have a IFA Premier division and a FAI Premier division .
There would be further regional leagues under this, with the A Championship becoming the new first division and more junior clubs encouraged to join .

Several ways you could do promotion/relegation . But for me all of them involve 2 clubs up and 2 clubs down, or at least the possibility of 2 up 2 down .

-IFA Champions and FAI Champions go straight up, 9th and 10th place teams go straight down .

-IFA and FAI winners play off, the winner of that play-off goes straight up and the loser plays the 9th place team in the AIPL . The 10th place AIPL team is obviously relegated .

-This one is possibly a bit too much but it would create quite a lot of interest with the play-offs . Winner of IFA and FAI premier divisions play-off , the winner of that tie is automatically promoted . The runner up from the IFA and FAI Premier divisions play-off with the winner of that tie playing the loser of the first play-off .

So if we take the top 4 sides from last years IL Premier division and make the big assumption that the top 6 sides from the LOI will stay as they are, we would get(if it was to magically happen next season) .

Bohemians, St.Pats, Cork City, Derry City, Drogheda United, Sligo Rovers, Linfield, Glentoran, Cliftonville and Lisburn Distillery .

That leaves Shamrock Rovers, Bray, UCD, Finn Harps Galway, Cobh Ramblers in the FAI Premier Division along with the 10 first division sides .

The AIPL would have a summer season, and would look to eventually expand to 16 clubs when the standard of football is good enough to retain the general publics interest(that's if the new league has even caught their interest in the first place) . Standard wise I would have had no problem with a 12 team league but it leaves the problem of playing each other 3 times a season which isn't a great system .

GavinZac
25/07/2008, 4:15 PM
For people advocating large (16-20) leagues, how many of those do you see as being professional?

Student Mullet
25/07/2008, 4:38 PM
For people advocating large (16-20) leagues, how many of those do you see as being professional?

As many as can afford it.

pete
25/07/2008, 4:38 PM
First off the starting point here is to expand the Setanta cup and see how it works in generating interest over say, 5 season, 6 groups of 4, 12 north and 12 south (with a seeding system based on recent league positions etc.) with home and away ties and then 1/4 finals etc. bulk of prize money distributed to top 8 clubs and something for all participants. if this works out then look at rolling out an AIL.

The Setanta Cup has enough pointless games already without adding more. The quality does not exist in the IL. We already treat some of the Setanta Cup group games as pre season.

sullanefc
25/07/2008, 4:52 PM

Do they have to be all professional??

GavinZac
25/07/2008, 5:01 PM
Do they have to be all professional??

Personally I think any new league has to be 100% professional. That's just my view, I'm interested in what other people's views are as to how many.

superfrank
25/07/2008, 5:01 PM
As many as can afford it.
Agreed.

superfrank
25/07/2008, 5:04 PM
Personally I think any new league has to be 100% professional. That's just my view, I'm interested in what other people's views are as to how many.
There's only a few clubs that can be sustained without being drip-fed by benefactors in the background. We should aim to have clubs that can sustain themselves on their gates, sponsorship, merchandise, etc.

That's my view.

jebus
25/07/2008, 5:16 PM

If we went with a 16 team league I would propose that no fewer than 10 would have to be full time, with the other 6 following suit in the next three seasons. We should be looking for teams to at least have a full time coaching staff, with a minimum of 7 players full time by the second season, with the majority of clubs gone full time at the initiation. Easier said than done I know, but if you're going to try and promote this as a league for barstoolers to become interested in than it has to be able to rival at least the SPL

GavinZac
25/07/2008, 5:19 PM
Easier said than done I know, but if you're going to try and promote this as a league for barstoolers to become interested in than it has to be able to rival at least the SPLThe SPL only has 12 full time clubs?

sullanefc
25/07/2008, 5:35 PM

My problem with all the teams being professional is that if one of them gets relegated then they are in financial disaster. If you had a top half of professional teams and a bottom half of semi-pros trying to establish themselves and may turn pro in time. At least if a semi-pro team gets relegated then they won't have a load of full time contracts on their books in the first division.

IMO in a league you need to have 33-40 games for gate receipts to compete. Any less and you are behind similar sized clubs across the water who may want to pinch your players and offer them more money.

Options:
20 teams = 38 games - many meaningless games at the end
18 teams = 34 games - some meaningless games at the end
16 teams = 30 games - too few games
12 teams (eL style) = 33 games - playing each team 3 times is not ideal
12 teams (SPL style) = 38 games - repetitive??
10 teams = 36 games - definitely repetitive

I would either go with 18 teams or 12 teams (SPL style).

Which one would you have Gav??

jebus
25/07/2008, 5:40 PM
The SPL only has 12 full time clubs?

I was more talking about rivalling the SPL in terms of all the teams being professional. Most barstoolers think the SPL is a joke, and if we're seen as being anything lower than the SPL than they won't be interested

GavinZac
25/07/2008, 5:47 PM
My problem with all the teams being professional is that if one of them gets relegated then they are in financial disaster. If you had a top half of professional teams and a bottom half of semi-pros trying to establish themselves and may turn pro in time.Thats where we are now. Its not working.

IMO in a league you need to have 33-40 games for gate receipts to compete. Any less and you are behind similar sized clubs across the water who may want to pinch your players and offer them more money.

Options:
20 teams = 38 games - many meaningless games at the end
18 teams = 34 games - some meaningless games at the end
16 teams = 30 games - too few games
12 teams (eL style) = 33 games - playing each team 3 times is not ideal
12 teams (SPL style) = 38 games - repetitive??
10 teams = 36 games - definitely repetitive

I would either go with 18 teams or 12 teams (SPL style).
Which one would you have Gav??
In the immediate term I would go with 10. Yes, arguably it could be repetitive; however, I'd much rather be guaranteed playing Pats twice at home than watching the just-as-repetitive string of teams looking to come away from Turner's Cross with a plucky point.

After a few years if another 2 slots were opened up for teams who could go professional, that'd be ideal. That plus the new options in terms of cups and better progression in Europe should limit 'boredom'.

sullanefc
25/07/2008, 5:54 PM
Thats where we are now. Its not working.

In the immediate term I would go with 10. Yes, arguably it could be repetitive; however, I'd much rather be guaranteed playing Pats twice at home than watching the just-as-repetitive string of teams looking to come away from Turner's Cross with a plucky point.

After a few years if another 2 slots were opened up for teams who could go professional, that'd be ideal.
Well that sounds logical, however, for that to work you need a strong and well supported first division. Otherwise the teams that get promoted will just be relegation fodder the following season, much like we have now.

That plus the new options in terms of cups and better progression in Europe should limit 'boredom'.
I presume you're thinking FAI cup, IFA cup, All Ireland Cup, League cup. While they would provide more games, the best teams will always get to the latter stages thus leaving out the weaker teams again. Or, some cups may be ignored by the bigger clubs as they will priorotise their goals. Depending on which ones offer most money/euro places etc.

blackholesun
27/07/2008, 2:25 PM
I think the whole idea is a joke and based on wild speculation and alot of crazy assumptions. How the hell the gates are going to go up 50% back playing winter football I never know.

But I have to say, going by their Setanta and European games I think the Glens might struggle a bit to stay up . If they were relegated, then Linfield would loose alot of Derby income and might loose interest too. Linfield have a handy number up North at the moment where they won 1 or 2 major trophies most seasons. Could their fans / committee cope with being mid table also rans and maybe not being in Europe for several seasons in a row, which could easily happen?

bhs

Macy
28/07/2008, 9:21 AM
Being 100% sustainable is more important than it being 100% professional. If you use Shels as an example, I'd say they did more harm than good with the crash and burn compared to their footballing successes.

Thats where we are now. Its not working.
I really don't see the main issue being the difference between the full time clubs and the part time clubs. The P1 proposal includes Galway who are currently in the middle of showing they can't sustain full time football, whilst at the same time their full time team is showing it can't compete with several part time teams.

jinxy lilywhite
28/07/2008, 10:56 AM
realisticly I don't think clubs should talk about professional football until they can average 5000 a game. until we start getting those figures in through the turnstiles then professional football isn't feasible

Macy
28/07/2008, 11:35 AM
Just to come back to this point after looking at some of the other threads. In recent weeks we've had Cork fans giving out about Drogheda and Pats going to the cross and playing for a point. If anything, with a wider scope of teams with less to lose (both in terms of relegation and financially because of being full time) the football will be more open than it is now.

Dodge
28/07/2008, 12:23 PM
Thats just cork fans moaning for the sake of it. Every team going for honours will play teams who set out defensively now and again. Happens in every league in the world.

The Drury proposal uses the incresed figures from attendances between the 7 LOI clubs (increase on the games v the 5 not included) as a basis for his mythical 150%. And while its true we get higher attendacnes v Bohs and ROvers, ur gates v Limerick or Galway would be the sme as v Cobh or Bray