PDA

View Full Version : Nostalgia Thread

pete
25/07/2008, 11:03 AM
Seems a number of posters believe the old days were great so about time we had a dedicated thread to cater for the stories...

Duggie
25/07/2008, 11:07 AM
1994 when rovers won the cup was class, i was 12 then only. some great players in that squad, mcstay, gabbiadini, annand. prob only sligo people will know remember these.....

Mr A
25/07/2008, 11:10 AM
I think that foot.ie could do with a dedicated history forum like the one on the Irish League Supporters Forum. It has some fascinating threads about football in bygone days.

Ramtillidie
25/07/2008, 11:32 AM
I remember the epic cup semi between ramblers and sligo in the early 80s and the game the replays in cork and sligo with crowds of 20,000,dont see that these days!

Blueandproud
25/07/2008, 11:44 AM
Friday 11th November 2005.

The night we beat Shamrock Rovers 1 - 2 to stay up.
And of course it was Rovers so it was even sweeter.
And what was EVEN SWEETER was that we put them
into the promotion/relegation play- off against Dublin City,
who beat them over two legs to RELEGATE THEM FOR
THE FIRST TIME. And because Dublin City are no longer in existance
you could say, we relegated them.

AAAhhhhhh, it was withhout a doubt, The BEST Night Of My Life B.T.I.D.

Macy
25/07/2008, 11:55 AM
This thread was much better the last time it was done.

pete
25/07/2008, 12:12 PM
I remember the epic cup semi between ramblers and sligo in the early 80s and the game the replays in cork and sligo with crowds of 20,000,dont see that these days!

20k? At the Lodge? Seriously doubt it could take that crowd.

dublinred
25/07/2008, 12:20 PM

The 4 games attracted a combined 99k , massive crowds at the lodge as there wasn't any cork teams that year, open for correction but I think the final game in Cobh had an attendance of 38,000.

pineapple stu
25/07/2008, 12:25 PM
This thread was much better the last time it was done.
5000 replies it used to get back in the day, all crammed into dahamsta's little 3000-post server. Course, it didn't mind back then - men were real men and servers were real servers...

Rovers Maniac
25/07/2008, 12:28 PM
No i think it was 23k for the final game at the lodge.

Mr A
25/07/2008, 12:30 PM
Shouldn't this be in the History Forum?

http://foot.ie/forumdisplay.php?f=102

gspain
25/07/2008, 1:35 PM

I was at the first game in the Lodge and the attendance was about 20,000. We were on the grassy bank opposite the main stand and it was crowded. The Lodge could take quite a crowd back then. My Dad was also at the 3rd game in the Lodge and that had a similiar crowd. I think the crowds in Sligo were 12,000 or so but that would have filled the showgrounds then. Rovers always turned out in force for the cup and there was a huge novelty factor with Cobh. Hibs v Waterford league decider in 1972 had about 25,000 at it.

Cork had no senior team that season nor the following one so it was an opportunity for the local football public to turn up in force.

Sligo seemed dead and buried until Mick Graham came up with a late late equaliser.

superfrank
25/07/2008, 2:04 PM
1999 cup final.

0-0, 2-2, 2-1.

Jayo, you legend. Honourable mention to Tarz as well.

holidaysong
25/07/2008, 2:17 PM

Hehe. :D

Sniffer
25/07/2008, 3:06 PM
What year was the 3-way play off between Bohs, Dundalk and Shels, I think? Was at a packed Tolka for one of those games and thought every LOI game would be like that.:o

pineapple stu
25/07/2008, 3:07 PM

God, I remember when that was the Current Affairs Forum...

jinxy lilywhite
25/07/2008, 3:19 PM
2 games in the one season. They are both against the same team. I remember in '88 a innocent 9 year old begging my father to take to the Derry game in Oriel. He was reluctant at first but my Mam insisted he did as then my father couldn't have a drink so he'd be straight home after the game. We went two goals down and it looked that way and that our league campaign was over but then last 10 minutes we banged in 3 goals in the last 10 minutes. The effin roar at the winner still puts shivers down my spine. Dessie Gorman scored the winner and Barry Kehoe must of been possibly one of the greatest players ever to play for dundak.
The second one obviously was the cup final against Derry. First cup final and great occasion. For Derry fans who remember it was a penalty. A lot of dundalk games come close (winning the league in 91, 94 and the cup final against bohs in 02 but that year clearly was the greatest)

Sheridan
25/07/2008, 3:28 PM
What year was the 3-way play off between Bohs, Dundalk and Shels, I think? Was at a packed Tolka for one of those games and thought every LOI game would be like that.:o
Do you mean the 1992/93 season when Cork won the second play-off round ahead of Bohs and Shels? One of the greatest LOI cockups ever, there was no provision for goal difference or goals scored as a tie-breaker after the regular season or play-off round so they had to organise a second play-off round.

Dodge
25/07/2008, 3:39 PM
Do you mean the 1992/93 season when Cork won the second play-off round ahead of Bohs and Shels? One of the greatest LOI cockups ever, there was no provision for goal difference or goals scored as a tie-breaker after the regular season or play-off round so they had to organise a second play-off round.

Except there was provision for goal difference when it came to deciding the top 6/bottom 6 that season

And yes I'm still bitter, and yes I still HATE ken De Mange

pete
25/07/2008, 3:42 PM
IWe were on the grassy bank opposite the main stand and it was crowded.

Oh how I missing standing on grassy banks & mud. Those were the days when we played before a few hundred people in Bishopstown, the pitch was constantly waterlogged & ye olde mud patch on the edge of the box had many an assist. Things were so good that we held European games in a rugby ground.

HarpoJoyce
25/07/2008, 3:47 PM

You will have to explain that better. You've made a poor effort at it at the moment.

Contempory quotes at the time
Fan1 "Bloody FAI!"
Fan2"Actually it's the league that organised the game."
Group of nearby fans "Don't worry he's being (Fan1) talking ****e all match."

LoI had changed their rules that teams at the top on equal points would play-off against each other. In line with other leagues in Europe including the French. A malfunctioning bus and a last minute goal by Shels at |Tolka meant there was a three-way split at the top. Home and away matches organised. As was mentioned in a previous post huge crowds at the games. (This apparently is a bad thing in Irish football.)
First 3 games end in 1-0 wins to the tight conservative home teams. 3 return games end in 0-0 to both the conservative sides. In a previous season LoI was described as Serie A. So all square including goals scored.
Because Cork City and Shelbourne were involved, a supporter can appreciate the volumne of criticism about having to pay players for another week etc.
Anyway, a second round of one home game each finally brought a winner, again infront of large crowds and huge publicity.
Bloody League of Ireland!

pete
25/07/2008, 3:56 PM
Anyway, a second round of one home game each finally brought a winner, again infront of large crowds and huge publicity.

Those games had to be played at "neutral" venues. As we in Bishopstown we got to play at the cross. I have a vague recollection of that game which I think we beat Bohs 1-0 in front of probably 3-4k

If that happened now we would definitely get a full house & sell out in minutes.

Dodge
25/07/2008, 4:03 PM
yeah the nuetral grounds were the RDS and Turners Cross

gspain
25/07/2008, 5:49 PM
Except there was provision for goal difference when it came to deciding the top 6/bottom 6 that season

It was Howie King who got the winner at Turners Cross.

HarpoJoyce
25/07/2008, 6:05 PM

I still find it funny when a new system is introduced, How it affects the Mid-Table?, is a big question.

Did this system run for two years?

Dodge
25/07/2008, 6:13 PM

Oh I know that. But de Mange was the player I fixed my ire on that season (you also beat us in a league cup final in Harolds Cross) AND the the game v Cork shouldn't have been postponed ;)

Ran for two years, we were in the bottom both times (first year ended up 7th, with more points than 6th, 2nd time coincided with our return to Richmond)

HarpoJoyce
25/07/2008, 6:27 PM
Oh I know that. But de Mange was the player I fixed my ire on that season (you also beat us in a league cup final in Harolds Cross) AND the the game v Cork shouldn't have been postponed ;)

Ran for two years, we were in the bottom both times (first year ended up 7th, with more points than 6th, 2nd time coincided with our return to Richmond)

I do remember the tangle you had with Limerick Fc (?) alright.

Also one of the English personalities (Sam Allardyce?, Colin Bell? or someone else) said that a League lacking in confidence tries to mix things up with different methods of calculation.

osarusan
26/07/2008, 12:40 PM

He he he. Always nice to see you mention that!

(first year ended up 7th, with more points than 6th
As I remember it, Limerick didn't win a game after the top six split. He he he!

I remember that statistic (Pats ending with more points than us) but you have to consider the quality of the opposition aginst whom we each played our meaningless games (meaningless for - Limerick and Pats, at least) when you look at that statistic. I'd imagine it could easily have been the same way round had you been in the top six.

(Which you weren't. He he he he he;))

Dodge
26/07/2008, 4:49 PM
I'd imagine it could easily have been the same way round had you been in the top six.

Probably. We actually finished the season terribly and I think we were only about 2/3 point "ahead" of Limerick. It was that last season we finished in harolds cross and it was as depressing as hell.

Don't worry osarusan, Limerick are way, way, way down the list of clubs I hate know (and every Limerick fan I've met has been sound)

gspain
27/07/2008, 12:13 PM

I was already in Cork when it was called off. Bishopstown was a bog at the time. Had to travel back down from Galway again in midweek but it was worth it. :D Bishopstown wasn't even playable the following wednesday so it was switched to the Cross.

We had at least half the crowd at neutral Harolds Cross for the LC final. That was a lot more than we had at a neutral Brandywell the previous year.

The rivalry dated back to early 1991 when we were rock bottom and you were reigning champions and still in contention. We won 2-1 or maybe 2-0 at Rathbane. Kerr had a row with some of the crowd at the dugout side. He claimed we were rubbish the following week in his newspaper column and tipped Carndonagh to beat us in the cup (they didn't).

OwlsFan
28/07/2008, 9:42 AM
Memories from being on the road with Jack's Army

1) Hearing of the appointment of Jack. I knew we had hope at last.
2) Going in the direction of the stadium with three friends in Bucharest and seeing the Romanian policeman pointing out the stadium to them and they heading off in the exact opposite direction to find a local pub in the ars***le of no place - they come back late to the game having been mugged and their camera stolen.
3) Scotsman scoring a goal in a wet Sofia that meant Ireland had arrived on the world stage of football.
4) Starting the chant of “Tony Cascarinnnnnnoooooooooooooooo” in Anfield.
5) Being hurt that there was no mention of that in his autobiography(thanks a lot, Tony).
6) The Dubliners' being played over the tannoy in Stuttgart - it still sends a shiver down my spine when I think of it - and the crowd joining in.
7) Seeing the Aer Lingus plane carrying the team landing in Germany for Euro 88.
8) Dancing in a NY night club after the victory over Italy
9) Coming out dejected from the stadium in Gelsenkirchen and seeing Ger, a guy on our coach, sitting on the pavement with his head in his hands and his testicles hanging out the side of his green and white shorts. I've seen horses with smaller sets.
10) Seeing the same scene among the Dutch (sans testiculae) coming out of Lansdowne after Jason McAteer's goal. Went home singing "My mamma always told me there'd be days like this".
11) The bombardment of the English goal at Wembley (1-1) .
12) Singing “You'll never beat the Irish” under Big Jack and believing it.
13) The party in a small village in Sicily called Terrassini after we drew 1-1 with the Dutch in 1990.
14) Big Jack's final walk around Anfield - can we ever repay that debt ?
15) On the way to the Stuttgart game in 1988from Cologne - starting off as one coach and then at various side-roads more coaches carrying Irish fans turn on to the motor-way , ending with 30+ Irish coaches in a convoy and the German cars flying past honking their horns: on our way to meet the mutual enemy. The rest as they say is history.
16) Drenched, having seen one of the worst World Cup matches ever but leaving the Stadium elated in Cagliari in Sardinia in 1990.
17) Big Jack banging his head when the goal went in against England in 1988.
18) Seeing the black stripper remove her g-string in Hannover in 1988 and one of my friends declares out loud “Who ordered the Black Bush ?”.

OwlsFan
30/01/2009, 10:05 AM
Favourite League of Ireland memories:

FAI Cup Finals

1969 Shamrock Rovers 4-1 Cork Celtic
1970 Shamrock Rovers 3-0 Waterford
1971 Shamrock Rovers 3-2 St. Patrick's Athletic
1972 Shamrock Rovers 2-0 Limerick
1973 Shamrock Rovers 2-0 Limerick
1974 Shamrock Rovers 2-1 Cork Celtic

Ah, those were the days!!

Pike B
30/01/2009, 12:38 PM

FAI Cup Finals

My God you are old aren't you!! :D

OwlsFan
30/01/2009, 2:16 PM
My God you are old aren't you!! :D

Never!! Me and the missus with be boogeying on down tonight.

http://www.jokesy.com/images/growing-old-jokes.jpeg

Calcio Jack
30/01/2009, 3:27 PM

FAI Cup Finals