PDA

View Full Version : Kick the league

BohDiddley
25/07/2008, 10:56 AM
The vultures are out.
There's been a spot of negative news about the league, so it's time to kick it some more.
David Kelly sounds pleased, and anyone interested enough in football to support an Irish team is, we are asked to believe, a member of a fanatical cult.
Penning a piece like this seems to be a rite of passage for a generation of sports hacks.
Domestic game has been lying comatose for a generation (http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/eircom-league/domestic-game-has-been-lying-comatose-for-a-generation-1439822.html?r=RSS)

dcfcsteve
25/07/2008, 11:24 AM
There is a strong grain of truth running throughout that article, but it has been sensationalised and tabloided-up to the hilt.

Are any players in the league really on €7k a week ? :eek:

His conclusion is correct though- domestic football is the only institution in Ireland not to have been benefitted from the Celtic Tiger (every other sport has). The responsibility for this, in my view, rests largely with the FAI. Firstly, they squandered the large sums of money generated in the Charlton era - leaving no enduring legacy for the game here. And secondly - by being run as a discredited bucket outfit, they were constantly excluded from the top table for the distribution of government grants.

I firmly believe that history will point a stifF finger in the direction of Merrion Square* when apportioning blame for the league not benefitting from our unprecedented economic boom.

* I know the FAi are no longer there.

sullanefc
25/07/2008, 11:26 AM
Are any players in the league really on €7k a week ? :eek:

To be fair, I believe he said 7k a fortnight.

McShels
25/07/2008, 11:37 AM
A 2 page spread in the back on the Indo written by a bloke who is now the Indo's rugby correspondent (was writing on football before that). :rolleyes:

IMO its not a big deal that the LOI will need a new sponsor from next season, was there such an air of doom when the GAA where changing their sponsorhsip or when Vodafone pulled out of sponsoring Man Utd the anser is No!!

There will be a new sponsor and in all honesty they cant be much worse than the current one......

BohDiddley
25/07/2008, 12:28 PM
There is some truth in the piece. Most of all, it is fair to say that players are getting paid too much, and clubs are auctioning themselves out of existence.

The problem, as with so much of this level of coverage of the domestic game in Irish media, is that it offers nothing more than the worn-out league as basket case message. Does it have a single constructive suggestion, or even recognition of people with ideas to improve matters?

The giveaway in this venting of lazy negativity is that it wheels out the laughably under-researched Genesis Report.

If you look at most areas of coverage, in sport and in the arts, of Irish endeavours, you will find it either positive (to the point of hype in the case of GAA and rugby) or at least trying to put things in context, and certainly not cheerleading for its extinction, which this article is very close to doing.

Partizan
25/07/2008, 12:53 PM
I must say that there is alot of truth in that article. I have been watching LOI for over 20 years and while the standards have got much better, unfortunatley the same old story is that the League is dying on its feet. Clubs being run in reckless financial manner like Pats is simply unsustainable. Other clubs like Sligo are being forced into bankruptcy in order to keep up with the big boys. Coupled with poor marketing, poor administration from the FAI and clubs themselves and poor attendances indictate that something the league is terminally ill.

Pointing out the recent moderate European sucesses as come as a huge cost with clubs overspending in order to survive in the top flight or to chase the impossible in Europe. To bury our heads under the sand is simply not the answer. What this article does is that its simply highlighting in the cold light of day the slow moving car crash that we are heading to.

I have never seen the League as unequal as it is. Paying 3k a week to a has been is frankly put, absolute madness.

pineapple stu
25/07/2008, 12:56 PM
Only place E7k is mentioned is in the weekly cost of Waterford United.

Partizan
25/07/2008, 12:58 PM
Only place E7k is mentioned is in the weekly cost of Waterford United.

Exactly, thats how much it costs to run Waterford on a weekly basis.

€7000 x 52 = €364,000 p.a.

paudie
25/07/2008, 2:34 PM
There is some truth in the article but when he talk about euthanasia he gives a hint as to his thinking:ie would the League of Ireland ever just go away and stop annoying us. As if the league didn't have over 80 years of history

Everyone here knows that the league has a multitude of problems but to describe it as comatose is just wrong. He was obviously not around in the 80's.

It's amazing the number of people in the media eg Off the Ball on Newstalk who seem to see the existence of the LOI as a personal affront.
I think they are secretly guilty about their obsession with the Premiersip and SPL and are afraid that someone will ask the obvious question: Why do you spend so much time on foreign leagues and treat your domestic league with contempt?

Therefore every negative story relating to the league is hyped up and good news is buried.

Fivesilver
25/07/2008, 2:50 PM
It's amazing the number of people in the media eg Off the Ball on Newstalk who seem to see the existence of the LOI as a personal affront.
I think they are secretly guilty about their obsession with the Premiersip and SPL and are afraid that someone will ask the obvious question: Why do you spend so much time on foreign leagues and treat your domestic league with contempt?

Therefore every negative story relating to the league is hyped up and good news is buried.

Dowtcha paudie - couldn't have put it better myself. Methinks a letter to that effect to the main media outlets would be a good idea, although it probably wouldn't see the light of day.

Straightstory
25/07/2008, 2:58 PM
These journos love slinging these kind of insults: 'the hopelessly average, never-made-it-in-England professionals who are banking a cool €2,000 or €3,000 or €4,000 per week'.
The lack of respect they have for the league is always notable.
Personally I don't blame the FAI - it's the Irish mentality: unimaginative, cynical, docile, and easily manipulated by the media. Everything has to be Man United or Liverpool. Anything else is 'sh**e'. That's the reason why there aren't fans at games.

gustavo
25/07/2008, 3:06 PM
These journos love slinging these kind of insults: 'the hopelessly average, never-made-it-in-England professionals who are banking a cool €2,000 or €3,000 or €4,000 per week'.
Personally I don't blame the FAI - it's the Irish mentality: unimaginative, cynical, docile, and easily manipulated by the media. Everything has to be Man United or Liverpool. Anything else is 'sh**e'. That's the reason why there aren't fans at games.
Notice he doesnt define "making it in England" presumably he thinks some Irish guy playing in their fourth or fifth tier earning less money than he would here has "made it"

mypost
25/07/2008, 3:15 PM
I think they are secretly guilty about their obsession with the Premiersip and SPL and are afraid that someone will ask the obvious question:

They're not obsessed with those leagues. They're obsessed with Liverpool, United, Celtic and Rangers. That's it.

BohDiddley
25/07/2008, 3:27 PM

I think you've nailed it there.

A face
25/07/2008, 3:47 PM

It says more about the journalist slinging phrase like that around

Its unreal, completely irresponsible, and they are answerable to nobody. Is the times just a filthy rag?

Personally I don't blame the FAI

I dont, not just Delaney but all the guys that went before him. Maybe not further back than 50 years but definitely all other after that should cop some of the blame.

it's the Irish mentality: unimaginative, cynical, docile, and easily manipulated by the media.

Yup, thats about the size of it.

You can see that guilt in alot of people, and it tears them apart in certain cases.

Spoons
25/07/2008, 3:47 PM
With respect to those who host those radio programmes, they haven't a clue whether its the League of Ireland of Premiership....its that bad I have stopped listening as it made me cringe so much!!:(:o

pete
25/07/2008, 3:52 PM
A 2 page spread in the back on the Indo written by a bloke who is now the Indo's rugby correspondent (was writing on football before that). :rolleyes:

Standard practice for the Indo when hatchet job is required. It would be difficult to get Daniel McDonnell to do as he has to actually attend LOI games & talk to people. Much easier to do this when you never report on the LOI. I was surprised they did not get Vincent Hogan to do as they have used him in the past.

I love the claim that "Attendances have dropped alarmingly" without any proof. The figures don't should this at all. There have always been clubs in financial difficulty. Waterford are in trouble because they expected the same revenue from 1st division they had in the Premier. :rolleyes:

Interestingly there are quotes in local Evening Echo from City new CEO saying our owners have no plans to cut their loses & in the league for the long run. Any chance the Indo will print that?

The real crime is that David Kelly gets paid to E100 a week to write that junk.

Rovers Maniac
25/07/2008, 4:01 PM
Good Story in the press True, bad Story in the press false :D

dublinred
25/07/2008, 4:02 PM
If you look at most areas of coverage, in sport and in the arts, of Irish endeavours, you will find it either positive (to the point of hype in the case of GAA and rugby) or at least trying to put things in context, and certainly not cheerleading for its extinction, which this article is very close to doing.

Still not a mention of the GAA racism incident on RTE.ie a government minister has just commmented on it now on http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2008/0725/breaking65.htm

Will this still be kept off RTE now?

Student Mullet
25/07/2008, 4:06 PM
Interestingly there are quotes in local Evening Echo from City new CEO saying our owners have no plans to cut their loses & in the league for the long run. Any chance the Indo will print that?

BREAKING NEWS: LoI Club not on the Brink of Extinction

The fact that you expect a paper to publish this headline says a lot about the league.

Dodge
25/07/2008, 4:10 PM
Standard practice for the Indo when hatchet job is required. It would be difficult to get Daniel McDonnell to do as he has to actually attend LOI games & talk to people. Much easier to do this when you never report on the LOI. I was surprised they did not get Vincent Hogan to do as they have used him in the past.

Kelly's a Pats fan and regular attends LOI games. He's the head indo writer now though and must fall in with editorial policy. The paper is a disgrace, particularly its sports department. Feel sorry for young Dan. He'll never progress in such a vile, vile organisation

Candystripe
25/07/2008, 4:21 PM
There is some truth in the article but when he talk about euthanasia he gives a hint as to his thinking:ie would the League of Ireland ever just go away and stop annoying us. As if the league didn't have over 80 years of history

Everyone here knows that the league has a multitude of problems but to describe it as comatose is just wrong. He was obviously not around in the 80's.

POTM.

I blame the like's of Sligo and Galway for thinking they can compete with the big boys and then predictably gains the league bad publicity. As if we don't get enough of that.

BTW Can a paper print un-truths about attendances dwindling?

Compared to five years ago Derry city and Cork cities are well up. I would say Harps are up as well.

pete
25/07/2008, 4:28 PM
Still not a mention of the GAA racism incident on RTE.ie a government minister has just commmented on it now on http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2008/0725/breaking65.htm

Interesting. RTE are sponsoring the GAA now so conflict of interest? Surprised not to see that story on RTE at all. :confused:

I agree a lot of the articles in the Indo do appear to be due to editorial stance.

BohDiddley
25/07/2008, 5:24 PM
Good Story in the press True, bad Story in the press false :DMost news is bad news, and no one is asking the press to stop publishing stories that are factual.
What is objectionable is the gleeful negative bandwagoning and the wishing of Irish football out of existence. Do these people actually think that there will come a time when we have no national league? Do they want it? Even as they trot out the ritual moan about FAI and incompetent club managements, it sounds like that is what they ultimately wish for.
I saw David Kelly covering a Shels-Bohs match some years ago. He looked utterly miserable.

micls
25/07/2008, 5:27 PM
It does seem to be kick the league time right now, but think of this.

When was the last time that 3 competitive games involving EL teams were shown live in the space of 5 days?

sonofstan
25/07/2008, 9:03 PM

They covered it yesterday on 6.1 - sent a reporter to Carlow and interviewed the kid's dad and all, and some GAA heads; not ignoring it at all.

soccerc
25/07/2008, 9:33 PM
Interesting. RTE are sponsoring the GAA now so conflict of interest? Surprised not to see that story on RTE at all. :confused:

I agree a lot of the articles in the Indo do appear to be due to editorial stance.

That story got prime news coverage on RTE SixOne with the kid and his father, just because you didn't see it doesn't mean it wasn't broadcast

srfc1928
25/07/2008, 9:51 PM
POTM.

I blame the like's of Sligo and Galway for thinking they can compete with the big boys and then predictably gains the league bad publicity. As if we don't get enough of that.

BTW Can a paper print un-truths about attendances dwindling?

Compared to five years ago Derry city and Cork cities are well up. I would say Harps are up as well.
Oh we're sorry candystripe would you like us to go away and die.
yeah weve put our hands up and said we need €130,000 to survive.
better than continuing on and burying our heads in the sand like a lot of clubs are doing. We'll suvive for another 80 years hopefully.
Appolgies again about the bad PR for you big boys.

sonofstan
25/07/2008, 10:08 PM
this tiny country, a country that is forever punching well above its weight internationally on most matters: sporting, political, cultural, etc..

Finely tuned sarcasm, I trust.

Dodge
25/07/2008, 10:11 PM
Now...tell me I'm talking shyte. But tell me it's all going to be ok in Irish soccer land. It's not!

Define OK? Is OK having a league at all that thousands enjoy every week despite constant abuse from certain sections of the media? That despite being told its been on its deathbed for the past 30 years has produced more footballers for the national team the youth teams of Manchester United, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea combined. That despite total indifference from the national association has attracted multiples of attendances than its heavily promoted (by the association) rugby equivalent.

Irish football will be fine, and **** every single person who's unhappy with that. Continue to enjoy your tv programmes while the rest of us get to feel what real emotion in sport is like

niallsparky
25/07/2008, 10:15 PM
Define OK? Is OK having a league at all that thousands enjoy every week despite constant abuse from certain sections of the media? That despite being told its been on its deathbed for the past 30 years has produced more footballers for the national team the youth teams of Manchester United, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea combined. That despite total indifference from the national association has attracted multiples of attendances than its heavily promoted (by the association) rugby equivalent.

Irish football will be fine, and **** every single person who's unhappy with that. Continue to enjoy your tv programmes while the rest of us get to feel what real emotion in sport is like

Great post.

pete
25/07/2008, 10:57 PM
When we've won the Eurovision Song Contest four times in the 90s alone??

But look where we are now? We can barely qualify for the finals & our entry is a puppet. Why no doom & gloom stories about the Eurovision?

:o

Sheridan
25/07/2008, 10:59 PM
What's bringing these WUMs out? It's hardly the weather.

pete
25/07/2008, 11:01 PM

Day release?

srfc1928
25/07/2008, 11:12 PM

Well said Dodge

Rovers Maniac
25/07/2008, 11:43 PM
What's a WMU? I'm getting the impression I might be one. It can't be good...I've been spouting nonsense for the last hour. It might be the weather, my move to summer internet use clearly hasn't paid off.

To be fair that is pathetic getting toe letters mixed up, i would not mind it is not even a good attempt to act innocent.Please ban this poster.

Jinxy
25/07/2008, 11:46 PM

Yeah, the sneaky devils buried that story in the middle of the six o'clock news. :D
We are into tin-foil hat territory here lads.

Rovers Maniac
26/07/2008, 12:01 AM
Ok, it's been grand winding you fellas up....but I have to turn in for the night. Solid! League of Ireland forever...that ain't no wind up...God bless you all!

You can't even get a good WUM these shocking performance early on from you. You were rumbled denied it now are saying different, a shocking performance by you.

GavinZac
26/07/2008, 12:03 AM

To many people watching The Dark Knight and fancy themselves as Jokers

Rovers Maniac
26/07/2008, 12:19 AM
To many people watching The Dark Knight and fancy themselves as Jokers

All very camp Gav :)

Rovers Maniac
26/07/2008, 12:22 AM
Well, why try to draw something out that jsut isn't working? Sorta like the LoI in that regard...

Seriously though, I love Irish soccer, maybe even as much as you do...but my love is like that for an animal that's lost its hind legs in a car chasing incident. I want it to be alright....but not the way it is. My point is, the business plan of the league overall is unforgivably flawed. Professionalism will destroy it entirely. A revision to amateur status is the only way forward. Going backwards to go forwards is probably the only solution...we're mugs if we think any different. I am not a joke salesman, as yer accusing me, but I think the big boys of the LoI might be. It has to stop. As an aspiration, European football will always be there, Leaguee of Ireland football might not be if things don't drastically reform along realistic lines. Reverse, then move forward...

Some goood valid points keep up the good work.

dcfcsteve
26/07/2008, 2:02 AM
Sarcasm? When a speck of land with the same population as Sheffield can down European policy?

You think Shieffield has anywhere near a population of 4.2m people...!?

Holy fcuk - you're madder than I thought.

And Ireland "downing European policy" is no big shakes at all. It's just a refelction of the need for unanymity in such European decisions. If Cyprus gave referenda it could've done the same thing - with a population one-tenth that of Ireland's...

When 70 million worldwide claim Irish ancestry?

Our greatest export throughout history has always been our brightest and most dynamic peoople. That's something to mourn, not celebrate...

When international terrorist organisations use Irish history as a model?

Those crazy Provos were forever hijacking planes and ramming them into tall buildings. Belfast - home of the suicide bomber....

When we have more Internationally acclaimed golfers, singers, jockeys, trainers, authors, criminals, peacemakers, than Sheffield itself?

What - even more than mighty "Shieffield itself" ! :eek:

What's with the hard on for dull industrial cities in England ? If I said 'Hull', would you rush for the Kleenex....?

When we've won the Eurovision Song Contest four times in the 90s alone?

See comment above re immigration and a requisite sense of shame....

You've got be a WUM. Is that you, Super Gretna...?!?

dcfcsteve
26/07/2008, 2:06 AM
We are facing certain facts her...soccer is not, as we may be led to believe by the Independent press, a marginalised sport in this country; we are not charged with trying to encourage interest in a spectacle that is alien. Soccer is ingrained in society. We are trying to direct attention to a particular element of a global game that is already firmly in the Irish public domain. Friends of the LoI are effectively attempting to sell unremarkable sand to the Arabs....they'll just not buy it.

Unfortunately, twists and turns (All-Ireland league, fewer teams, enforced professionalism, ground rejuvination, tv coverage) proposed to inspire increased interest are all doomed to failure. I believe it's impossible to manufacture a regard for soccer (or indeed anything that we, as a modern society, have not already embraced) at local level in this tiny country, a country that is forever punching well above its weight internationally on most matters: sporting, political, cultural, etc.. It's a red herring to suggest that it's just the current state of soccer as it is, or the general public's perception of it that's the issue. It's the public's perception of itself, as a market leader in way of life that's doomed the likes of a the LoI to dead duck status. To ask a high flying society to essentially nurture a pitifully deformed animal is like asking that society to look inward and backward, to slow down to keep up. Looking backward is something we probably haven't done since the mid 80s. There's an ethos in Ireland, (at least there was, pre recession panic) that there's no going backwards. No buying second hand. The league of Ireland is, and therefore will always be backwards, second hand. There's just no buying it. Ireland hasn't shopped at the corner for a long time, not since supermarkets and cheap flights. Now...tell me I'm talking shyte. But tell me it's all going to be ok in Irish soccer land. It's not!

And anyways, any nation that generally regards the game to be called soccer has tied a large weight to it and thrown it overboard....good bye!

Absolute nonesense - surpassed only by your following post.

If us Irish just can't bear to recognise or embrace anything in ouirselves that isn't world class, then why do we support our international teams in, well - anything !?

Not to mention all the other sports and endeavours Ireland participates in. For every Bono and Dara O'Briain, there's ten 'Logue and McCool' and Richie Kavanaghs you know....

bennocelt
26/07/2008, 4:27 AM
Not to mention all the other sports and endeavours Ireland participates in. For every Bono and Dara O'Briain, there's ten 'Logue and McCool' and Richie Kavanaghs you know....

Yeah:)
And then there is Westlife, Boyzone and Louis Walsh. Yeah us Irish are great:rolleyes: