PDA

View Full Version : Starting XI For Turkey Game?

Peadar
04/09/2003, 10:04 AM
After the Russia game it's likely that Kerr will choose to and be forced to field a different team for the Turkey game on Tuesday.

.....................Colgan......................
Finnan....Dunne......O'Brien.......Harte
Reid......Carsley.......Healy......Kilbane
.............Connolly.....Lee..................

To be honest I don't think he'll start with that many changes but he'll surely want see a bit more of some of these players.

pete
04/09/2003, 10:38 AM
Yeah Turkey are a strong team so Kerr is probably only likely to rest key 1st team players.

johnmac
04/09/2003, 3:01 PM
I know the team I select will not resemble the one that takes the field on Tuesday.

I would play the following in a 4,2,3,1 formation regardless of the result on Saturday.

Colgan

Carr, Cunningham, O'Brien, Finnan

Healy O'Shea

S. Reid A.Reid Duff

Morrison.

I am aware that Andy Reid is not in the squad, but Brian Kerr has said he may add players after Saturday.

I would love to see O'Shea tried in midfield against quality opposition. He could bring a physical presence which has been lacking since you know who has been absent.

Andy Reid is a class player. He has been playing recently in a central midfield role for Forest, just behind the front 2. He has far too much potential to just be considered as an understudy to Duff on the left.

In my opinion this team has more goal scoring potential than the probable starting team on Saturday.

tiktok
04/09/2003, 5:02 PM
I'd play
___________Colgan____________
_Carr__O'Brien___O'Shea__Finnan_
_S.Reid__Carsley__Healy__A.Reid__
______Morrison___Lee__________

i'd start playing that back four asap, i think it's our likely long term one, Morrison, Healy, Lee and Colgan will all be in need of the games at a higher level, don't see any point risking players ahead of the swiss game.

having said that i think Kerr will probably field as strong a team as possible, i'd imagine keane will get a run as he'll be trying to regain sharpness after being out with injury.

Slash/ED
04/09/2003, 6:33 PM
There'll be changes, that's all but assured really. Expect to see players from the U21 in the squad, Andy Reid, Sean Thornton, Liam Miller maybe even Thomas Butler (I rate him very highly if he can sort his injurys out) and even probably John O'Flynn, I doubt many who starts against Russia will start against Turkey. I'd pick...

Gk - Colgan
Lb - Finnan
Rb - Carr
Cb - O'Brien
Cb - O'Shea? Whoevers left, Dunne most likely.
Lm - Andy Reid
Rm - Steven Reid
Cm - Sean Thornton
Cm - Liam Miller
Sc - David Connolly
Sc - Alan Lee.

Morrison might stay on and start as he'd love to secure that starting spot for when Keane returns.

Real Rambler
04/09/2003, 6:36 PM
I think you're right with what the team for the turkey game will be UP IRELAND

Peadar
09/09/2003, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Slash/ED

Gk - Colgan
Lb - Finnan
Rb - Carr
Cb - O'Brien
Cb - O'Shea? Whoevers left, Dunne most likely.
Lm - Andy Reid
Rm - Steven Reid
Cm - Sean Thornton
Cm - Liam Miller
Sc - David Connolly
Sc - Alan Lee.

Murphy is supposed to be starting in goal.
Harte will probably start at LF.
Healy should start in the centre.
Thornton is injured and not even in the squad.
Alan Lee probably wont get a run but if he does it will be late in the game. Hope Connolly doesn't feature.
Finnan might start at RF.
O'Brien will probably be the other CH.
Up front will be Morrison and Doherty.

John83
09/09/2003, 2:28 PM
Originally posted by Peadar
Murphy is supposed to be starting in goal.
Harte will probably start at LF.
Healy should start in the centre.
Thornton is injured and not even in the squad.
Alan Lee probably wont get a run but if he does it will be late in the game. Hope Connolly doesn't feature.
Finnan might start at RF.
O'Brien will probably be the other CH.
Up front will be Morrison and Doherty.

I agree with most of that, except Lee has withdrawn (slight knock), and Crowe takes his place.