PDA

View Full Version : Doyler on Target

NorthoftheLee
04/09/2003, 8:13 AM
Super Kev came on as sub last night for the U21a and bagged the 3rd goal....Well done Kev....I'd like to see him been given a chance up front for City...

Cityace
04/09/2003, 11:16 AM
Came on as a striker Like??

James
04/09/2003, 11:27 AM
wasnt it the u20's

the u21's are playing on friday in the flynnternational in waaaterford :)

Ref
04/09/2003, 11:31 AM
The Republic of Ireland Under 20s started the season with a convincing 3-0 victory over the Czech Republic at Dalymount Park on Wednesday night as the countdown towards the World Youth Championships in November begins.

Stephen Elliott, Conor Gethins and Kevin Doyle grabbed the goals in the final 25 minutes of the game to give Ireland the edge in what was manager Gerry Smith's first game in charge.

"I am very pleased with the result," Smith said. "If you asked me before the game, I would have taken 3-0. We played very well."

The result is the latest impressive result by the Under 20s as they continue their preparations for the World Youth Championships which will be held in the United Arab Emirates in November having been originally cancelled in March because of the uncertain climate in the middle east.

In a disappointing first half, Ireland were the better side as they created a number of chances with John Fitzgerald volleying a Michael Foley corner just inches over the bar and Eamon Zayed forcing Czech goalkeeper Lukas Nachtmar into a good save after being played through by Darren Potter.

But in the second half, Ireland lifted the pace and gradually wore down their opponents with Potter firing a free kick inches over the bar in the early stages.

And after 65 minutes the opening goal duly arrived when Elliott fired past Nachtmar after Fitzgerald's long ball had released him.

Two minutes later, it was 2-0 when substitute Gethins slotted the ball home from six yards after Willo Flood and Elliott combined on the left wing before the latter delivered a perfect cross that the Lifford man could not miss.

And in the final minutes of the game, Cork City striker Doyle made it 3-0 with a sweet volley from the edge of the area.

Teams:
Republic of Ireland: Henderson (Aston Villa); Brennan (Newcastle United), Simpemba (Wycombe Wanderers), Fitzgerald (Blackburn Rovers), Dillon (Longford Town); Fahey (St Patrick's Athletic), Ward (Kidderminister Harriers), Potter (Liverpool), Foley (Liverpool); Zayed (Bray Wanderers), Elliott (Manchester City).
Subs: Murphy (Swansea City) for Henderson (45 mins), Gethins (Ross County) for Fahey (45 mins), Flood (Manchester City) for Foley (64 mins), Whelan (Manchester City) for Dillon (73 mins), Doyle (Cork City) for Zayed (75 mins), Kearney (Cork City) for Elliott (83 mins), Gartland (Longford Town) for Simpemba (86 mins).

FAI.IE

fella
04/09/2003, 12:25 PM
isn't it great to see 2 Cork City names in there and one getting on the scoresheet.

Well done Kev & Liam

NorthoftheLee
04/09/2003, 1:23 PM
Originally posted by James
wasnt it the u20's

the u21's are playing on friday in the flynnternational in waaaterford

smart bastárd ya :D

niamh
04/09/2003, 1:59 PM
The confusion lifts.
Didn't even know Doyle and Kearney were in the squad.
Well Done to both.

Hitman
04/09/2003, 7:03 PM
Are the Championships clashing with the end of the league season?

joe
04/09/2003, 7:19 PM
Originally posted by Hitman
Are the Championships clashing with the end of the league season?

afaik

ccfcman
04/09/2003, 7:50 PM
by then flynn will be sippin lucozade wit duffer @ chealski

tiktok
04/09/2003, 9:36 PM
one cork city scorer
two city boys playing
six eircom league boys involved

great stuff, well done Doyler and Kearney.
Has there ever been a time before when we had three players involved in the Irish international set-up, i certainly can't remember one.

Éanna
05/09/2003, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by niamh
The confusion lifts.
Didn't even know Doyle and Kearney were in the squad.
Well Done to both.
i think both were late call-ups. might be wrong, but i think i read that somewhere.

ccfcman
10/09/2003, 5:27 PM
wots kearney like?>