PDA

View Full Version : Top target for next season..

RedX
03/09/2003, 10:55 PM
Who would you make our main target for next season if they would come down here and play for our club.My choice would go to Robbie Doyle of Bohs.Hopefully we can hold on to Flynny again next season but if we did eventually lose him Doyle would be a great replacement.Think of Doyle and Flynny together with George dropping back.When i mention top target i do know we really need a experienced central midfielder and i am sure Dolan will sort this during the close season but Doyle would be a fantastic signing for City.Who do you lads think?Only players that are as good or better than what we have got..

Team for next season:

1.Mickey Devine
2.Hoggy
3.New left back required.
4.Dan Murray
5.Alan Bennett
6.Kevin Doyle(or Kearney)
7.Greg O Halloran
8.George O Callaghan
9.John O Flynn
10.Robbie Doyle
11.New central midfielder.

Subs. Woods,Coughlan,Colin T O Brien,K Murray,Mooney,Liam Kearney(could be starter but have not seen him yet),Carey,Buckley,Softic,Casey,O Grady.,Colin P,

Some of the subs could very easily find themselves let go to make way for new faces.

Neil
03/09/2003, 11:12 PM
Mark Clifford
Bobby Ryan
Shane Barrett
Dominic Foley
Colin Hawkins

Colm
03/09/2003, 11:32 PM
I know it's probably a bit unrealistic but my no.1 target would be Kevin Hunt, he's exactly what we need imo.
Also, as Neil said, Mark Clifford of Waterford would also be a fine accquisition.

Peadar
04/09/2003, 8:18 AM
Originally posted by RedX
Doyle would be a fantastic signing for City.

Whatever you're smoking you'd nearly want to quit it.
Doyle is rubbish!
Sure he tries the spectacular from long range which looks good on TV highlights but his link-up play is brutal and he rarely gets in good positions. I think Bohs would gladly swap him for O'Callaghan. Crowe would be a record goal scorer then. Doyle is not what City need.

Who would I like to see?
Fergal Harkin
Barrett from Longford
Kevin Hunt (no hope though)

NorthoftheLee
04/09/2003, 9:25 AM
Kevin Hunt - not a chance though
Bobby ryan - same as above
Shane barrett - like what Ive seen
Mark Clifford - on current form anyway...

Think Barrett and O'Flynn would run any defence ragged......

niamh
04/09/2003, 10:10 AM
The one person I would like City to sign as already mentioned is Kevin Hunt.

pete
04/09/2003, 10:35 AM
All depends on whose available (out of contract) at the end of the season.

I agree with what Peadar said about Robbie Doyle - all show & little substance.

In no particular order:

- Drogheda right fullback whatshisname
- Shane Barrett (LOngford).
- Frost (Waterford)
- Friars (Derry City) as he seems to be not favoured by Keely.
- Kirby (Longford)
- Quinless (Drogheda)

Cityace
04/09/2003, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by RedX
Who would you make our main target for next season if they would come down here and play for our club.My choice would go to Robbie Doyle of Bohs.Hopefully we can hold on to Flynny again next season but if we did eventually lose him Doyle would be a great replacement.Think of Doyle and Flynny together with George dropping back.When i mention top target i do know we really need a experienced central midfielder and i am sure Dolan will sort this during the close season but Doyle would be a fantastic signing for City.Who do you lads think?Only players that are as good or better than what we have got..

Team for next season:

1.Mickey Devine
2.Hoggy
3.New left back required.
4.Dan Murray
5.Alan Bennett
6.Kevin Doyle(or Kearney)
7.Greg O Halloran
8.George O Callaghan
9.John O Flynn
10.Robbie Doyle
11.New central midfielder.

Subs. Woods,Coughlan,Colin T O Brien,K Murray,Mooney,Liam Kearney(could be starter but have not seen him yet),Carey,Buckley,Softic,Casey,O Grady.,Colin P,

Some of the subs could very easily find themselves let go to make way for new faces.

Why is a new left back required?

Woods is playing some outstanding stuff of late.

James
04/09/2003, 10:55 AM
plus whats happened to denis behan from your list of city subs?

patsh
04/09/2003, 3:00 PM
Mark Clifford, (because I think he is a more realistic target than Hunt)
Vinny Sullivan.
Dave Warren, if he keeps scoring hat-tricks !;)

tiktok
04/09/2003, 4:56 PM
really only repeating what's above...

#1. Hunt (snowballs chance in Hell)
#2. Jason Byrne (on my wish list every year...no chance though)
#3. Clifford (maybe)
#3. Barrett (unlikely)

dcnags
04/09/2003, 10:50 PM
1#Kevin Hunt(unlikley)
2#Zinedine Zidane(possible)
3#Patsy Freyne(or his son)

No way Robbie Doyle, would love to see bobby ryan(when on form)

RedX
04/09/2003, 11:55 PM
Peader...i am so sorry for not agreeing with you.I am only joking about Robbie Doyle.Of course he is rubbish.I should have said Harkin,Barrett and Hunt just like you..

James..i forgot Behan who i think is a great prospect.If i gave up smoking the funny stuff like Peader said i would have remembered...can you actually name any players yourself?

Cityace..i dont rate Woodsie as a great full back.He has been doing well but has also being making bad mistakes lately.Thats just my opinion..I agree with pete about Frost from Waterford though.He would be a great signing for this position..

TheNorthsider
05/09/2003, 8:10 AM
cant see mark clifford being the answer to our midfield problems dont think he is better than what we have,i have never been very impressed by him.in fairness who would friars replace again wouldnt do anything for the team

ccfcman
05/09/2003, 9:24 AM
dismayed>lets be honest flynny's u21 form and club form are selling him_well need to replace him too cum nest season,hes too good not to bk to england:(

Seanie
05/09/2003, 9:27 AM
Hunt & Ryan would put us on the brink of a dream team - but that's all it would be.

I agree with Cityace - Woods has been excellent in recent games, so I think left-back cover would be more the word to use.

TheNorthsider
05/09/2003, 1:23 PM
ccfcman what do u mean he is too good not to be back in england:mad: are u saying that we have a sub standard league ,must a player travel to england be the only criteria for him to be deemed successful.Jof has gain international recognition from his displays with city and not peterborough.The league is slowly but importantly slowly moving forward to being a lot more professional if it moves to quickly its in danger of burn out we must get all the structures in place rather than gung ho throwing silly money at players but if the public think that for a player to be successful he must cross the channel then we still have a very long way to go

Éanna
05/09/2003, 11:05 PM
Harkin from Bohs is handy looking, McHugh from Harps. Beesley from Drogs looked handy in midfield too, as did myler.I think we need a new left back, a new central midfielder and back up for Flynn and george

Dr.Nightdub
06/09/2003, 1:29 AM
Just a question: seeing as youse aren't full-time, presumably then anyone that signs for you would also have to be able to find work in Cork? that must be a fair hurdle in terms of attracting non-Cork natives to play for Cork? I'm thinking here of the likes of Gareth Cronin moving to Rovers cos he changed jobs, or Derek Coughlan getting special dispensation from Bohs to travel up and down from his job at the airport, and wasn't Billy Woods' move to Rovers (and then back again) job-related as well?

joe
06/09/2003, 7:45 AM
afaik when woods first signed for shams he was in college in dublin, or else it was when he was with portadown. then he moved back to cork and has been working here for the last few years.

cronin left cork when he finished in college and got a job in dublin. even during his second stint at the club he was still living and working in dublin

re: professionals, part-timers and jobs, i think there's about a dozen full-time players at city now and any of the recent signings are full-time, including derek coughlan

pete
08/09/2003, 9:32 AM
Originally posted by joe
re: professionals, part-timers and jobs, i think there's about a dozen full-time players at city now and any of the recent signings are full-time, including derek coughlan

Yeah seems to be the policy to only sign players now that are either fulltime footballers or who will become fulltime footballers.

ccfcman
08/09/2003, 10:42 AM
yes northsider this is exactly what i am saying.the premiership is superior to the el,i cant stomach barstoolers but "their" league is better and unfortunately they poach players @ a young age.i would love to see flynny line out for spurs or newcastle,but similiarly i want him at city and in irish green up front wit crowe in portugal04,but will it happen?
:ball: :ball: :ball:

ccfcman
08/09/2003, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by pete
Yeah seems to be the policy to only sign players now that are either fulltime footballers or who will become fulltime footballers.
its semi-pro in city isnt it?

pete
08/09/2003, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by ccfcman
its semi-pro in city isnt it?

:confused:

As joe said theres about 12 fulltime football players in the current city squad. Any players signed this season were on a fulltime basis. Only Bohs, $hel$ & Pats have more 'fulltime' players.

i luv u georgie
08/09/2003, 6:11 PM
barret from longford is looking like a great prospect

a player along the lines of hunt or osam

mbabzi!!!!!!!!!!!

kearney looked good mind you that was only against sari

jamie harris looks quite good

according to the city text reports aberdeen are tabling a 100,000 euro bid for flynny and some other scotish team are in the running too mind you i got a text much the same a few months ago.

ian fraher is looking a good prospect with the u21s hes only 16 or 17 he was good against sari and alright against bolton.
jamie nolan ray lally and damien roddis are all looking promising too.

Colm
08/09/2003, 8:47 PM
Originally posted by i luv u georgie
according to the city text reports aberdeen are tabling a 100,000 euro bid for flynny and some other scotish team are in the running too mind you i got a text much the same a few months ago.

The transfer deadline passed last week.
Anyway, from what i've heard, those text reports arent too reliable.

ccfcman
11/09/2003, 11:28 AM
noel hunt left for 1/4million so that means we'd want double that for jof

joeSoap
11/09/2003, 11:39 AM
We're fairly fcuked...come buy our players...got some very tasty ones that would walk in to ye're side...Paul Finnucane, a left footed centre half is better by a mile than Coughlan or Bennet and would be pushing Murray.Our midfielders Keating and Sweeney..Keating ye've already tried to sign and is totally class, Sweeney a workhorse of a player...and of course Steven O'Flynn who ye already know. Give us 1/2 a million for the four and we'll throw in a couple of very proactive helpful committee members as well!!!:D :D

max power
11/09/2003, 12:05 PM
forget about kirby and barrett, i don't think they would , kirby wouldn't go to his home club waterford, what makes you think he'd go near yee, barrett is a god at de town, there would be a rovers style riot in the streets of longford if he was allowed leave !!!

but you'll need someone yo replace o'flynn, i can see a certain person who wears a very large suit wanting to cash in on the player.

curts82
11/09/2003, 12:22 PM
When UCD were down here during the season there was a blondie fella in Centre Mid, Honestly he was the best Mid I saw all season, can't rem his name tho.

ccfcman
11/09/2003, 2:36 PM
whereis mulligan now,plying his trade in maccie d's?

Schumi
11/09/2003, 3:10 PM
Originally posted by curts82
When UCD were down here during the season there was a blondie fella in Centre Mid, Honestly he was the best Mid I saw all season, can't rem his name tho. Yeah he's a class player who I can't see staying on if we go down. He can be a lazy ba$tard at times though!

michaelguineys
11/09/2003, 3:13 PM
whereis mulligan now,plying his trade in maccie d's?

In the bookies id say

curts82
11/09/2003, 3:48 PM
Originally posted by Schumi
Yeah he's a class player who I can't see staying on if we go down. He can be a lazy ba$tard at times though!

Name??

Schumi
11/09/2003, 3:50 PM
Name?? :D

curts82
11/09/2003, 3:52 PM
Name?? :(

golly
12/09/2003, 5:21 PM
alan cawley is dat fellas name he came home from leeds their and went 2 to ucd hes a good player alright

SÓC
12/09/2003, 7:13 PM
Originally posted by Dr.Nightdub
Just a question: seeing as youse aren't full-time, presumably then anyone that signs for you would also have to be able to find work in Cork?

Read something there on yer board that surprised me, ye only have 6 professionals, I though ye were gone full time?

Thats why Bohs and Shels will fight out for the league while us and Pats will fight over the Intertoto spot.

Éanna
12/09/2003, 7:27 PM
Originally posted by Dr.Nightdub
Just a question: seeing as youse aren't full-time, presumably then anyone that signs for you would also have to be able to find work in Cork? that must be a fair hurdle in terms of attracting non-Cork natives to play for Cork? I'm thinking here of the likes of Gareth Cronin moving to Rovers cos he changed jobs, or Derek Coughlan getting special dispensation from Bohs to travel up and down from his job at the airport, and wasn't Billy Woods' move to Rovers (and then back again) job-related as well?
We have 12 full timers now, and as far as i know, all our signings under Dolan have been full timers. We're moving in that direction.....

Éanna
12/09/2003, 7:29 PM
Originally posted by SÓCcfc
Read something there on yer board that surprised me, ye only have 6 professionals, I though ye were gone full time?
they're copying the scandinavian model according to WhoAreYA. Players work flexible hours allowing them to train in the mornings and then go to work.

Cityace
14/09/2003, 4:30 PM
yes northsider this is exactly what i am saying.the premiership is superior to the el,i cant stomach barstoolers but "their" league is better and unfortunately they poach players @ a young age.i would love to see flynny line out for spurs or newcastle,but similiarly i want him at city and in irish green up front wit crowe in portugal04,but will it happen?

to be honest if flynny moved i would prefer him to move to a different league to.Dont know about the rest of ye but i dont think i could stomach him playing and scoring against us.

Schumi
15/09/2003, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by golly
alan cawley is dat fellas name he came home from leeds their and went 2 to ucd hes a good player alright Yeah that's him! If we do go down, I'd expect him to leave. I think he could make a big impact in a team with more good players where he wouldn't have to do as much of the creating himself.

golly
15/09/2003, 3:43 PM
agree with u schumi he seems to go through the motions a lot though but when he is on his game he is one of d best midfielders in d EL.

Schumi
16/09/2003, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Conor74
Is he the fellow with the l'Oreal hairdo? That's him! :D

curts82
16/09/2003, 12:59 PM
Hes a realistic target for City cause realistically ye are going down with Mahon in charge