PDA

View Full Version : your irish team??

mickm
03/09/2003, 6:57 PM
myself and a few of the lads in work were discussing who should be in the starting eleven on saturday, heres wat i came up with:
GIVEN, O'SHEA CARR CUNNINGHAM BREEN, DUFF HOLLAND KILBANE REID, MORRISON CONNOLLY. what do ya think?

gustavo
03/09/2003, 8:51 PM
good team there mickm but id probably try to get steve finnan into the team somehow.

tiktok
03/09/2003, 9:51 PM
i don't think your midfield would do well, duff and holland in the middle? the back five is what will (and should start) assuming breen gets over his neck strain. i'd have holland and healy in the middle, duff up front with morrison and doherty the change up option on the bench.

tricky_colour
04/09/2003, 1:28 AM
Its not easy picking a team is it?
There are so many options and so many players have played
well, however some of the players who have not played so well
for Ireland do well for their clubs. ( Connolly and Carlsley spring to mind).

Best to bung all the names in a hat and pick 11 out?

I would have Forests Andy Reid and John Thompson in the Sqaud too, they have been in great form, but I guess now is not the
time for experimenting. Steven McPhail did great for Forest too,
after he recently signed on load, he is a classy passer of the ball,
continental style (there where shouts of 'Ola' 'Ola' at Forest V Reading, when Reading just could not get near the ball.)
Andy Reid scored two also, (could have been three), he can play
as a striker or left wing or behind the front two.

Anyway I'm glad I don't have to pick the squad - I would never make my mind up! - It would be a lot easier picking the squad with Roy Keane playing, but thats water under the bridge I guess.
playing.

Ian Harte was pretty deadly with his left boot in his last Leeds match too...........

Peadar
04/09/2003, 8:29 AM
The team is almost a certainty.
Kerr wont take risks with so much at stake.
He knows what players he has who can get the job done the way he wants. On that note the team WILL be:

.......................Given...................... .....
Carr..........................................O'Sh ea
.............Breen.....Cunningham...............
............Holland...........Kinsella............ ..
Kelly.........................................Kilb ane
..............Doherty........Duff................. .

Macy
04/09/2003, 9:09 AM
Nearly right, but I'd say it will be Finnan for Kelly...

Peadar
04/09/2003, 9:55 AM
Originally posted by Macy
it will be Finnan for Kelly...

I was going to put in "Kelly/Finnan" but thought it would disrupt the shape of my team :D
Haven't seen anything of Liverpool so far this season so I can't comment on his performances. Going on the Australia game I thought he linked up well with Carr and I'd be happy with him starting. Kelly can play well for Ireland in that position.

Schumi
04/09/2003, 11:46 AM
Gary Kelly won't start. Has he even played for Kerr yet? It'll be either Finnan or Reid on the right I'd say. The rest of the team looks right.

Peadar
04/09/2003, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Schumi
Gary Kelly won't start.

What odds will you give me on that?

Schumi
04/09/2003, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Peadar
What odds will you give me on that? If he starts, I'll buy you a pint on Sunday.

colster
04/09/2003, 1:03 PM
As far as i know Gary Kelly isn't even in the squad.

Schumi
04/09/2003, 1:08 PM
Originally posted by colster
As far as i know Gary Kelly isn't even in the squad. Shush, I want a free pint.:D

Peadar
04/09/2003, 1:39 PM
Originally posted by Schumi
free pint.:D

Always looking for something for free aren't you!
On the subject of pints, is it the Montrose after our victory on Sunday?

Finnan is the better player for that position so fitness is the only thing which would keep him from starting.
Wonder why Kerr doesn't like Kelly?

Schumi
04/09/2003, 1:41 PM
I think Kelly has pulled out of some of the squadsso hasn't had a chance to impress.

Montrose after the game.

Peadar
04/09/2003, 1:55 PM
Originally posted by Silvio Dante
Stick a proven goalscorer up front alongside Dots and we have a winning formula...

I don't think the goals against Russia will come from a "proven goalscorer". They're likely to come from O'Shea or Finnan or someone like that from a set peice.
Must go and check out the first to score odds in the rookies.

Peadar
04/09/2003, 2:43 PM
its more advantagous for us to have Duffer on the left

There is always the wonderful facility of substitution which would allow us to make such a tactical change during the course of the game if required.

Peadar
04/09/2003, 3:27 PM
Why not do the right thing from the start...?

Ok I'll start Duff on the left.
I hope the press don't slaughter me for playing Connolly again.

Brian Kerr is determined to salvage something from the destruction left by McCarthy. He's not going to take risks, but he does want to have a left sided midfielder who will track back to cover the left full. We're all talking about scoring but Kerr will be determined not to concede. Playing Duff on the left may be too much of an attacking team and leave us exposed.

Peadar
05/09/2003, 10:19 AM
Watching TV3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 last night and Rico when for;

................Healy.........Holland............. ..
Reid..........................................Kilb ane
..............Doherty.........Duff................ ..

Is Healy up to such a big test?
This is a huge game.
It's as big as the Holland game 2 years ago.
I've always liked Reid so I wont complain if he or Finnan start on the right.

colster
05/09/2003, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Peadar
Watching TV3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 last night and Rico when for;

................Healy.........Holland............. ..
Reid..........................................Kilb ane
..............Doherty.........Duff................ ..

Is Healy up to such a big test?
This is a huge game.
It's as big as the Holland game 2 years ago.
I've always liked Reid so I wont complain if he or Finnan start on the right.

At this stage I think that Healy is a better option than Kinsella. I think Kinsella's legs have gone. Russia will probably play 5 in midlfield so it's v. important to have a player there that can cover the ground.
Russia are a physically big side. With Healy in midfield along with Kilbane and Reid we should be able to cope with any physical stuff.
I think that side looks very strong and good enough to do the job on Saturday.
I can see us being a real threat at set pieces.

Rico is right about Morrisson being a good impact player from the bench for this game anyway.
He could cause a lot or problems with his running and speed late on in the game when the Russians will be tired and hopefully chasing the game.

Socrates
05/09/2003, 12:41 PM
Have to agree with Silvio! The reason we lost to the Ruskies in Moscow is because the two pedrestrians (Holland & Kinsella) offered absolutely no protection to the back four and Russia just cut though the middle of the park. I'd leave Holland in there but Kinsella just isn't up to it. Unfortunately Healy or Carlsey haven't had much football this season but I'd still give Healy the nod and I wouldn't be surprised if Kerr does. He's done very well for Kerr so far. I'd go for Finnan on the right just about over Reid and wouldn't mind seeing Clinto and Connolly up front with Duff on the left. At least we have plenty of options.
Rumour has it that Kelly is well p*ssed off about McCarthy being axed and has come up with dodgy excuses to pull out of every squad so far. Well good riddance to him - we have plenty of good right full's and right midfielders who do want to play for Ireland.
Have to say I'm very worred by the Ruskie midfield which will probably be Titov, Alenichev, Smertin and Mostovoi - they could do serious damage on the break. Whoever plays in the centre for us will have to be right on their game.

Shelsman
05/09/2003, 8:15 PM
My Team:

.....................Given.......................

Carr....Breen....Cunningham...O'Shea

Reid.......Healy.....Kinsella..........Duff

...........Doherty....Morrison............

brine2
05/09/2003, 11:04 PM
given

carr - cunningham - o'shea - finnan

s reid - healy - thornton - a reid

..........................duff
............morisson

i realise andy reid and thornton aren't in the squad, but you know, if i was the manager and all that ;)