PDA

View Full Version : Are ye falling apart???

joeSoap
03/09/2003, 11:46 AM
According to a prominent first team manager who Gill remain nameless (oops...) ye are gonna fall apart any day now.. Is this true??? Heard ye lost ye're chairman, and a few players want to move on 'cos hannigan is only a junior manager with junior manager skills?? Why did the chairman go...are ye struggling financially???Is Keely a huge loss???..........Not slagging by the way, I'm being both concerned and curious to see if anyone else out there has troubles, or are we the only ones??

Countyman
03/09/2003, 12:06 PM
This is a summary of the situation

1. Keely left for derry bringing Wayne Russell with him (Derry = premier club County = 1st division)

2. Chairman didn't resign it was our General Manager. From what I can gather he didn't want Eric Hannigan as manager and wanted him out. No other director backed him and the players were asked individually and they all backed Hannigan. Therefore the GM's position was untenable after that.

3. Our squad size has been trimmed massively to the bones while our local lad Gorman has been loaned out to kilkenny. (He wanted the move as he wasn't getting games)

4. The club do have financial problems (who doesn't?) and all the efforts are being put into this area at the moment.

Despite all this we have won 4 out 5 games under the new manager and we are playing much better football than under Keely. Philly Hughes cant stop scoring at the moment.

My only concern is the size of the squad but for this season at least rumours of our demise are greatly exaggerated.
As for John Gill and Dublin City. He came to station road and played long ball all night packing his defence for a draw. He even got himself sent off. We beat them with 10 men for 45 minutes.
He has his eyes on our players.

How they are top is beyond me.

You can see for yourself in a few weeks but we are very much alive and kicking.

joeSoap
03/09/2003, 12:23 PM
If ye can get on top of these problems at an early stage and nip them in the bud, then my advice is to do so. Also, keep a close eye on your committees activities. I'm probably being a little paranoid on that last one, but our 'committee' have single handedly destroyed what little bit of a club we have left and allow us absolutely no say in any aspect relating to the welfare of the club..it is in effect a dictatorship. I'd genuinely hate to see any club going through what we are right now, especially a relatively new one such as yourselves.

Countyman
03/09/2003, 2:57 PM
thanks for the sound advice.

The way I see it the board are the ones keeping us alive at the moment. They have ploughed more of their own money in to get us back on track following the recent comings and goings and financial problems.

There is feck all sponsorship or interest from kildare companies while the crowds are maybe between 4 and 6 hundred each week. Not good enough in the long run. That may improve over time (Rome was not built in a day)

The recent events at the Rovers / Bohs game will make it harder for all el teams to attract sponsors on board into our league.

The board are committed to the cause from what I can see.

Its a crying same that the FAI cant or wont plough money into its league teams. The same with the government.

joeSoap
03/09/2003, 3:07 PM
4-6 hundred is double our gate...nice to hear that ye have a supportive board who are prepared to invest. Best of luck in the cup...hammer those ba**ards!!