PDA

View Full Version : Lining a Pitch

EAFC_rdfl
21/07/2008, 3:40 PM
Anyone able to help here, we have been told by the crowd we rent our pitch from that the fai are telling people not to line pitches with lime anymore?:confused::confused: anybody hear this before? Also, does anyone know where we could get one of those liners that use the spray cans for putting down the line. something like this (http://www.newitts.com/product/IT029558/Rocol_Easyline_Edge_Airflow_Line_Marking_Applicato r.htm). But would be handier if we could get it within Ireland (and a bit cheaper!!)

Innishvilla
21/07/2008, 4:11 PM
Think I heard the lime thing as well, but not sure if it was a rumor or not!

This Irish company do a lot of deals for sports equipment, they might be worth checking out!!!

http://www.inspiresportireland.ie/

Flexible
25/07/2008, 2:54 PM
Thought about putting up this very thread last week. We get our spraypaint from PF Sports in Galway. Its working out expensive as we have two pitches and I was looking into a new system if anyone could advise. The line doesnt seem to be coming out as well as you see in the photos.

EAFC_rdfl
25/07/2008, 5:43 PM
I thought this was a dead duck! I thought the spray paint method lasted for much longer than using lime, heard 3 months I think. Sounds like its not the case for you flexible? Do PF have the thing to put the spray paint on with?

balls
25/07/2008, 8:54 PM
the spray will last or one weekend. lines will still be visible the next week just a matter o going over them again. it takes about 3 cans to line a ield

Redkenrover
25/07/2008, 10:33 PM
At the moment there is no official notification from the FAI regarding the use of lime on pitches. However it will only be a matter of time as the GAA and the English FA are instructing all its members not to use lime. If you have an RSS scheme at your club they have been told that the use of lime is no longer acceptable. We got a letter stating same a couple of weeks ago.
O Neill sports do a number of machines with varying prices. Spoke to another club who found the spray tins are expensive to use. Think they get them from PF sports too. The O Neill Sports one uses drums of paint. Dont know much about them but going to find out the details as we have to go down that route.

Dines
26/07/2008, 8:19 AM
Anyone able to help here, we have been told by the crowd we rent our pitch from that the fai are telling people not to line pitches with lime anymore?:confused::confused: anybody hear this before? Also, does anyone know where we could get one of those liners that use the spray cans for putting down the line. something like this (http://www.newitts.com/product/IT029558/Rocol_Easyline_Edge_Airflow_Line_Marking_Applicato r.htm). But would be handier if we could get it within Ireland (and a bit cheaper!!)

We found the best thing is to use a roller liner with emulshion and water it down it last for a few week and you just go back over it and the lines a visable all the time the spary paint is to expensive and the lines wont last

Flexible
28/07/2008, 8:18 AM
I thought this was a dead duck! I thought the spray paint method lasted for much longer than using lime, heard 3 months I think. Sounds like its not the case for you flexible? Do PF have the thing to put the spray paint on with?

Yes they do. When we got the system first it worked a treat but the spray has changed a couple of times and the quality just doest seem to be any good.

duffbeer
28/07/2008, 10:39 AM
We use two different markers.

we use the normal contact wheel one, but as mentioned above, we mix water and emulsion paint////////the lime turns to powder and the paint is just as cheap in atlantic home care.

as for our other marker, its a special paint in a large container that sprays on to the pitch.....we use this we cut grass is on the pitch or leaves etc....as there is no contact with the ground.

http://www.bowcom.com/grassmarking/gm10.htm

the paint isint cheap but the lines last a fair amount of time.....

BallyBoy
29/07/2008, 4:25 PM
I believe there are two court cases pending (one in Donegal and one in Cork) where young kids have ended up with lime in their eyes, so it has been advised not to use it anymore.

We had one of those spray liners (from PF Sports Galway) not great to be honest. Going to switch to watered down emulsion using the old roller. Will be quite expensive but hopefully the lines will last longer - but not sure with it being cut regularly.

EAFC_rdfl
31/07/2008, 11:10 AM
cheers for all the replies lads, plenty useful information there now

Big Ears
01/08/2008, 9:41 PM
I believe there are two court cases pending (one in Donegal and one in Cork) where young kids have ended up with lime in their eyes, so it has been advised not to use it anymore.

I got lime in my eye once when I was a young lad, we were training on an 'all-weather pitch'(a hockey pitch which used basically gravel) before my club got the facilities it has now and the pitch was lined out in lime.

A ball bounced directly on the line, I went to control it with my head and a nice amount of lime which had got caught up in the ball went into my eye.
Went into casualty where they had to wash the lime out with water, pretty much by just pouring water into my eye.

Not a nice experience I'll tell you, the lime stung like hell and I'm sure it probably posed a serious risk to my eye site which thankfully is fine.

bald eagle
02/08/2008, 6:21 PM
the liners you are referring to are fairly expensive and spray for them is even dearer. can I suggest, you go to your local heatons or atlantic super store or paint supplier and get the absolute cheapest emulsion white paint and water it down. Its whiter than lime and lasts longer, but make sure to clean out your
lining machine after each use. I will fid out thename of our spray equipment supplier and post it here.

blobbyblob
26/08/2008, 1:05 PM
very useful indeed. We were just about to splash out on the spray can system on another clubs recommendation

Flexible
27/08/2008, 9:52 AM
Thought this would have had more replies as I believed it would be a big problem nationwide. I have just received Spraypaint from a different supplier and have yet to try so once I have I will report back here. Our current supplier has changed spray 3/4 times ( it could be the nozzle mechanism on them ) and currently the line is only coming out little over an inch thick. Ref wasnt going to do our game because of it so I hope the new spray works.

Mercurial Vapor
27/08/2008, 10:24 AM
Thought this would have had more replies as I believed it would be a big problem nationwide. I have just received Spraypaint from a different supplier and have yet to try so once I have I will report back here. Our current supplier has changed spray 3/4 times ( it could be the nozzle mechanism on them ) and currently the line is only coming out little over an inch thick. Ref wasnt going to do our game because of it so I hope the new spray works.

Our groundsman has told me that he has tried numerous different suppliers of the spray cans but he finds that they all have the same problems which is that the lines don't come out thick enough and the lines don't last p!ssing time. He rekons that a large drum of watered down white emulsion paint lasts at least twice as long and it's also a much cheaper option.

leather
27/08/2008, 11:03 AM
Lads, got new spray paint supply from gleeson's sports... noticable decrease in the amount of cans used for lining pitch.. gone from 4-5 cans to 2-3 per pitch...

EAFC_rdfl
27/08/2008, 2:44 PM
we are carrying on with the lime for now as there hasn't been an official directive. Got a flyer today from 'bermuda sports' advertising their spray paint liner, not sure of prices etc. I'd say if we are told to stop the lime we'll go with the emulsion, especially if the spray lines are very narrow. Our pitch is on the large size so its hard enough to spot the lines without their size being reduced :D