PDA

View Full Version : The Greatest - Jack v Tiger

Angus
21/07/2008, 1:22 PM
Current media wisdom would say that Tiger is now the G.O.A.T. (greatest of all time).

I am not so sure - yet. While he is clearly miles ahead of the opposition and will probably break big jack's major record, to give him the GOAT title now would be premature.

By way of comparison go to:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Nicklaus

Have a look at Jack's major performances in the 1970's - only 5 times in the 70's was he outside the top ten and won a bunch.

I also have a sense - although Harrington may add a few more to his haul - that jack was playing against multiple major winners regularly - in recent times there is a spate of single winners. Some blame Tiger's dominance but in the 70's jack battled Trevino, Watson, Player, Palmer and latterly Seve.

What do we think ?

Aberdonian Stu
23/07/2008, 1:26 PM
Tiger and it's not even close. He's brought the game to a whole new level.

Angus
23/07/2008, 4:18 PM
I respectfully think I disagree - I must research but I suspect jacks emergence, and especially the rivarly with Arnie did as much for the game back then as Tiger has done recently

Answers on a postcard....

dublinred
23/07/2008, 4:53 PM
Would go for Jack as he had more competition than Tiger some of his scores are still impressive to this day and were acheived with a fraction of the tecnology that Tiger has now.

joeSoap
31/07/2008, 11:58 AM
Nicklaus did it playing a much better quality of opponent-regularly!! That swiungs it for me, and throw in the technology aspect and the superior courses that are played on today I think he just about deserves it.

I would like to see one of those virtual games, like the Ali v Marciano fight to see how that would materialise.