PDA

View Full Version : Cork AUL 2008/09

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

Innishvilla
21/07/2008, 11:01 AM
Alright Folks,

Not much to add on the recent discussions but figured we should have an 08/09 thread rather than having last years running forever...

And I liked rebelrover's exclamation mark from last year...

littleman
21/07/2008, 8:54 PM
no doubt ya boy Innish.We can all start with a clean slate .Great idea.

Things in Norrieland are all go at the minute.We remain upbeat about the dressing rooms ,basically because we have to.Its the worst thing to have done all you can to be told that its out of your hands,but we will keep our chin up an all that,,,,,,,,,,

Preseason has been alright,its funny players always moan about being bored during the close season but when pre season training starts there slow to turn up.Numbers wont get anywhere near full stenght till just before the start.First game is against Tramore Thur night in there place an I'd say it will be a mix of A an B and mostly just a run about to see how rusty we are.

olachico
22/07/2008, 9:58 AM
No league formats are out on www.corkaul.com

rebelrover
22/07/2008, 11:33 AM
Nice new thread Innish. Not much to report from down Leeside way. I honestly dont know if preseason training has started yet as I am away at the moment.

Joe Lyons has gone to Singapore for the year with work commitments and Mick Kenneally has retired so we'll need a few additions. There's talk a few of the Ballyphehane lads might join but could be just rumour mill!

Ye'll be pleased to know Jimmy Barr is recovering well. We had our dinner dance there mid-June and he made a surprise appearance after being discharged from hospital the previous day. It was great to see him back on his two feet but he has a tough road ahead all the same.

I'm sure il be back here again once the season kicks off in earnest.. Adieu for now

minty
22/07/2008, 11:37 AM
kinsale for the premier league again...heard they are making a big push to sign new players and they have peter jones back as manager and they have a new pitch next to the old 1 but with a much better surface

bogwarrior
22/07/2008, 12:29 PM
Christ surely its not the minty of togher and cork aul fame??!

U cant just come into this thread without introducing yourself minty!! Declare your allegiance man!!

In Kinsale preparations are going well. Great atmosphere down at training and new faces to keep players on their toes. There'll be a level of competition in this squad this yr that has never been seen before. With the second team starting up the club is going from strength to strength. Very positive times for Kinsale at the moment.

Any truth to the rumours that Pa, Jp and Cans have gone to Mary's littleman? It's like chinese whispers at the moment!!

Great to hear Jimmy Barr is out of hospital. I think Kinsale hav their first pre season game this weekend. Corinthians i hear. Not full sure.

KrocBoy
22/07/2008, 3:59 PM
Pa and JP have signed with St Marys already, also rumours more could be heading that way from what i've been told by a few Marys players, and with Danny Dunne gone to Castleview too looks like Grattan will struggle this year:eek:

Billynose
22/07/2008, 4:06 PM
What's gone wrong up Grattan way? I really thought they would have a chance of pushing on in the FAI and MJC this year. :(

littleman
22/07/2008, 6:53 PM
Look those of you that know me will understand that I'm not one to b/s around things.Jp has said he would like to try senior an who are we to get in his way.Pa Connors didnt play much for us last season an he wants to go as well an again who are we to stop him.Danny is another who supposedly is going to the View but again its only rumor.Remember we only signed Danny for the 2nd half of the season an were well aware it would be a struggle to hold on to such a good player.Cans well all I'v heard is rumors an again those of you who know me would know I think I'd be the first to hear for definate if he's gone an I would have no problem in admiting it if it turned out that way.We have won the Premier A an 2 Premier titles on the trot and enjoyed the Fai an Mjc when it came our way an even with the lads we had on the Irish teams an it would be a bit nieve to think our players were not drawing attention from other quaters,what goes around comes around an all that.

Look lads every one of the top 3 or 4 sides has lost some of there best players from last season,Joe an Mick from Leeside an young Varian from Kinsale to Everton or the lad Falvey from Glenthorn so its not like we can lie about it an say we are all happy about the players who we have lost.But what I will say is that we still have 15 or 16 excellent players plus the new players that have signed who want to play for this club an they will be given all the support this club can give them,on an off the field.If a player or players want to try another level to see if they can cut it then fair dues to them.I from personal experience an (thats 18 seasons of seeing the good /bad an ugly in football in Cork )would not go writing off the Gratts this soon because players will always look elsewhere preseason an sign forms,tis who they play there first game with is what counts an Im quitely confident on our prospects an thats all I'll say on the subject.,,,,,,,,,,,,

As long as we are junior clubs the Msl is always going to be playing the vulture an pick up our better players.We may loose some but its what we have joining the club is what I am interested in an I cant say fairer than that.

olachico
22/07/2008, 8:35 PM
But Littleman do you think the AULs/MSLs joint decision to stop clubs from moving leagues is affecting ye big time? The AUL go on about the Oscar Traynor team all the time but how are they ever expected to win it when all the best players are continuosly lost to the MSL. And lets be honest outside of the Rockmounts/Avondales etc is the standard actually a whole pile better?

littleman
22/07/2008, 9:34 PM
I with all honesty think the Aul had to do it or else the Aul would have caved in under the pressure of poor teams going nowhere an doin nothin for themselves.Problem is that no matter what the club dose to better itself ,players are the ones who denote wether a club dose well or not .The main problem from what they have done is that the clubs will I hope try to do better facility wise for themselves but there players may not want ot wait around for the clubs to catch up to whats already place in the MSL.

Players like myself an I say this quite openly when I was younger were tapped up by bigger clubs but they could never give me what I seemed to get with Grattan,the club just seemed to suit me.In time I think the same clubs who tapped me up gained a certain amount of respect for me because I wanted to stay with Grattan ,ups or downs.What I have won I won with my friends playin for the club I love,an when things went against us we had to deal with that too but we did as a club.But like I have previously said ,there aint many out there like that anymore.

olachico
22/07/2008, 10:45 PM
I understand your point littleman but I honestly believe its the players at a lower level who actually get the most enjoyment out of junior football. To be honest I never really cared about playing against clubs who didn't have showers. Never used the ones in my old club very often anyway. I don't think players move clubs because of facilities. Its the old "the grass is greener" syndrome I think. Some players might leave a junior club that is relatively successful ( not just referring to Grattan here) and move "up" to a higher level and actually stop enjoying their football and rather than admit they were wrong and move back they go from club to club like journeyman trying to find what they had in the first place. There is an awful lot to be said for enjoying your football

littleman
22/07/2008, 11:01 PM
What your saying is near enough bang on.What makes us such a good team is the atmosphere in the club towards each other,coupled to the fact that its a team wins a game an not the individual an we understand that.

Lads over the years go away thinkin they want to improve there game with a so called bigger club.But as you have said more often than not the crack is not there for them an they return as if nothin had changed.If thats the case with the ones who maybe deciding to go if you were to belive the rumors then well an good ,if not I wont loose any sleep about it as there are another 20 lads expectin to retain the title.

olachico
22/07/2008, 11:08 PM
Morale is the key. I hope the fellas ye have to come in develop a siege mentality to prove the other fellas wrong. Wouldn't be surprised if they came back fairly quickly to be honest. The thing to do is to let them go with the clubs blessing and on good terms. If things don't work out they don't forget how they were treated before and normally return . A better option than being bitter. Can't stop a fella trying to better themselves but what I really hate is a fella moving to a club in a lower division. Getting a game in a higher division and then dropping down. These fellas should be treated like leppers;)

Without the loyal few who go to the meetings and give their time for free to clubs they love and try and push clubs forward there would be no clubs for these people to move to. Its the same few people in every club doing this without any recognition. I often wonder how players would feel if a club turned around to them and said " We are moving to a higher level, we don't need you anymore. Bye" . Would raise a few eyebrows. Players think they are the be all and end all . What they need to realise is they are only passing through and at the end of the day its the club that is most important.

minty
23/07/2008, 11:18 AM
Bogwarrior im actually a cousin of his...glad you recognised him!Are you a Kinsale man ya? who have ye signed for next season?

littleman
24/07/2008, 12:01 AM
Mintys cousin ?????????????????????????Why didnt ya call yourself Frank or Bob.Mintys cousin ,we aint thick.Cought by the balls Mint,own up an we'l welcome you with open arms to our humble abode.By the way I think you tipped Kinsale last season too,keep shoutin for Tizz an Bog an co though because our odds will go way up.

"kinsale for the premier league again...".If I remember correctly ya said that at the start of last season as well.We prefer bein the underdogs,gives us somethin to prove.I dont think we are winning it for the last few seasons to just get on Kinsales nerves.Come on Minty fair is fair we do deserve a little credit.

Tizz/Bog.Whats the story with the B team down seaside direction.Whos goin to run it.Good idea though to have extra bodies.Hows the pitch comin along,lookin forward to seein it on a nice calm Saturday,no wind an rain please cause us Gratts dont like gettin wet,sunshine players all round us.

olachico
24/07/2008, 12:27 AM
Beer, football, women

littleman
24/07/2008, 12:38 AM
you learn quickly young skywalker

olachico
24/07/2008, 12:44 AM
Don't know what you are on about littleman !!!!

littleman
28/07/2008, 8:27 AM
Just to nip this one in the bud before any rubbish starts John Paul O'Sullivan an his brother Mark have signed for Mary's.Thats confirmed.No one else,not Pa Connors or BB or Danny Dunne(hes not getting paid by Castleview either by the way an I have no idea who he's goin to sign with).Other than that every other player from last season is still with us.Lofty an Gally who missed the whole season last year are back on board.Any other questions I will only be delighted to answer.

Innishvilla
28/07/2008, 9:03 AM
Just FYI,
If anyone fancies a bit of 1st division football on brand new pitches 20 minutes west of the city. Innishvilla are back in training, tomorrow (Tuesday) evening @ 7pm at the new pitches. If interested let me know and I can give you directions...

callyno3
28/07/2008, 9:04 AM
Just to nip this one in the bud before any rubbish starts John Paul O'Sullivan an his brother Mark have signed for Mary's.Thats confirmed.No one else,not Pa Connors or BB or Danny Dunne(hes not getting paid by Castleview either by the way an I have no idea who he's goin to sign with).Other than that every other player from last season is still with us.Lofty an Gally who missed the whole season last year are back on board.Any other questions I will only be delighted to answer.

They are 2 players I didn't expect to leave gratts.

As far as I know Derek Varian is staying with Kinsale and not moving to Everton.

olachico
28/07/2008, 11:13 AM
I heard Varian had signed for Carrigalines 2nd Division AUL team. I think Varian is related in some way to Barry McGovern so that would explain the Everton link. It seems Marys have signed up a lot of players for this season. They could challenge the Rockmounts/ Avondales this year

littleman
28/07/2008, 11:33 AM
" It seems Marys have signed up a lot of players for this season. They could challenge the Rockmounts/ Avondales this year "

They have taken 2 of ours an they seem to have attracted a few others but lets remember they only came 2nd in there league an that was only due to a playoff win against Mayfield.We played them twice last season an they didnt have one player that I thought I would swap for one of ours,not one of the entire 16 that were on show.They may ruffel a few feathers but I dont think Mr Cronin or Mr Caulfield will be overly worried.

Varian is Magoverns nephew

olachico
28/07/2008, 12:01 PM
I suppose. John Paul may make the differernce though. I wonder do players know if there is a transfer window this year as most clubs seem to be signing as many players as they can at the moment promising them the world LOL

littleman
28/07/2008, 12:28 PM
1 : Clubs can sign who ever they want from July to the end of September.
2 : Players cannot transfer for the months of October an November .
3 : You can transfer during December an January.
4 : After that a player is stuck with whom ever he is registered with.
5 : A player can only sign for 2 clubs in the one season.

That is straight from Area 51 an is to implemented going forward this season.

olachico
28/07/2008, 12:58 PM
I'm assuming an unregistered player can be signed at any time throughout the season as per usual. I can see these new rules being broken all over the place.:rolleyes:

littleman
28/07/2008, 1:18 PM
T'is what ever you decide to make of it I supose.Its straight forward an will put a halt to the almost nomadic way some players have of transfering more than twice a season.I think it will be of a help to the stronger clubs but a hinderence to weaker clubs.But thats only my own opinion.:p

olachico
28/07/2008, 2:37 PM
"so in my opinion an Marys have got themselves 2 of the best players in the county if not the country dare I say"

Surely if Marys have signed two of the best players in the country then they should have a realistic chance of having a cut off the Premier next season littleman?? Remeber these players were with ye lat year when ye played them

littleman
28/07/2008, 2:46 PM
When they played with us they were part of a great team,very good players indeed but good players are only as good as whats around them.With us an this is again my own opinion they were surrounded by good players ,I dont think thats the case now.

They both played the first game,we won 2 nil.The 2nd game Cans had to come off injured an Jp came as a sub for his first game,after been out for 3 months.Not excuses just facts.

Shilts
28/07/2008, 3:13 PM
Littleman, I believe Grattan played St. Marys in 1 competitive game last season. The Munster Senior Cup. St. Marys won it!!! :)
How can you say St Marys are not a good side. They qualified for the 1st round of the FAI Senior Cup and got promoted to the premier division of the MSL. I saw them a few times last year and they play an attractive brand of football.
They have signed some good players from you and elsewhere. I believe Dave O'Keeffe (GK from A'dale) has signed also. They will do well next season in the MSL Prem, but probably won't win it.

littleman
28/07/2008, 3:32 PM
Firstly I never said they wernt good,I just said that in my own opinion I dont think those 2 players will have the same caliber of player around them.In another persons opinion they may well see things differently.

Yes we were beaten,fair an square as well.I presume you missed the first game,which belive me it was no pre season friendly.How many friendlys have you seen abandonded.

olachico
28/07/2008, 3:32 PM
Enough about MSL Marys. A quick question? Can you bet on teams to get relegated in AUL football. If yes where could I go?

callyno3
28/07/2008, 5:24 PM
Enough about MSL Marys. A quick question? Can you bet on teams to get relegated in AUL football. If yes where could I go?

Cashmans in town do the local footie, not sure about relgation tho call in and ask em or give em a buzz.

minty
29/07/2008, 3:18 PM
Ya Cashmans is the place to go

Innishvilla
29/07/2008, 3:23 PM
Cashmans is the spot, but would they be very willing to take relegation bets???

Allstar
30/07/2008, 11:24 PM
" Varian is Magoverns nephew
AFAIK he's his step-son

olachico
31/07/2008, 12:51 AM
Asked around i think you are right and Varian is McGoverns step son or something like that

littleman
01/08/2008, 5:49 AM
Tramore 1 Grattan 1.
Good run out considerin we haven played in 8 weeks.Tramore scored against the run of play in the first half an we got a peno after layin seige to the Tramore half for long periods.The second half was more open due to the multiple subs but we should an could have wrapped it up well in advance of the final whistle but we seemed to try to walk it in to the net far to much instead of striking when in space in front of goal.Most of our lads were ok an came through it fairly fresh.Tramore were just as young as our lads so it was a good game to be honest .

We played well all things considered with regards to the lads that wer'nt available.Good points were that we physcially dominated the game,though we have lost some players we seem to have physcially gotten stronger especially with from the players who have taken the chance to stake a first team place.

Experience over the last 2 seasons has thought us a lot an that really showed.One or two B players caught the eye which was surprising considerin they were only 18 or 19.All things considered I was very very pleased.A very different side is developing an it might catch some by surprise.

junglegym
04/08/2008, 11:39 AM
Just to catch up to ye.
Congrats to Grattan last year on defending their title, they will be gunning for that 3 in a row,
To everyone below in d'island congrats on your MJC win,surely the celebrations didnt take its toll on Mick Kennelly, hes too good to be calling it a day.Also nice to hear Jimmy Barr is on the road to recovery.
Unlucky to the lads in Springfield on AOH cup night but I was delighted to see Jeremy O Donovan and the gang finally getting their hands on The Holy Grail. even without the guidance of Peter Jones. Hopefuly they dont want to hang onto that for 4years.
In my opinion the Aoh draw should go back to the old system, Premier teams in at 3rd rd. Pre "A" in 2nd rd. and Both Semi Finals played in the Cross . What do ye think???
Good Luck to one and all for the coming season, Its great to be back:)

Innishvilla
05/08/2008, 11:51 AM
In my opinion the Aoh draw should go back to the old system, Premier teams in at 3rd rd. Pre "A" in 2nd rd. and Both Semi Finals played in the Cross . What do ye think???
Good Luck to one and all for the coming season, Its great to be back:)

Welcome junglegym, 1st question you've mentioned a good few teams there, which would you be playing with/supporting?
Also I think you meant Park on AOH cup night, not Springfield.

I echo your feelings on the AOH Cup. As a player from a lower division team it was always good to have won the right to be in the 3rd round where you could then have a possible clash with the big guns. Too often a team doing poor in the league from a lower division side see an AOH 1st rnd game with the premier sides as a weekend off...

Parkboy
05/08/2008, 4:21 PM
Just to give ye an update with events in Mitchelstown.Park A have lost their manager Jerry O Riordan.Jerry has done a great job over the last 3 years.In his first year he guided Park to promotion,losing to Coachford in the play-off and last season he guided us to the the Cross in the AOH.Lar Keane has since been appointed as the new Gaffer.
Park B also lost their manager Kieran Duggan but Pa O Mahoney is staying on as coach with Kieran Walsh SNR playing a player/manager role.
No major signings for either team but more importantly every player has decided to stick with thier respective teams which is a great boost.
Any one know when first round of fixtures will be known?

olachico
06/08/2008, 9:00 AM
Played first friendly. Drew 2 all with Tramore Juniors. Had a few players togging out with the first team so these fellas should make a difference when they come back. Nearly had as many missing as what was togged out due to holidays, injuries and work commitments. All in all a good run out though

junglegym
06/08/2008, 10:21 PM
Welcome junglegym, 1st question you've mentioned a good few teams there, which would you be playing with/supporting?
Also I think you meant Park on AOH cup night, not Springfield.

I echo your feelings on the AOH Cup. As a player from a lower division team it was always good to have won the right to be in the 3rd round where you could then have a possible clash with the big guns. Too often a team doing poor in the league from a lower division side see an AOH 1st rnd game with the premier sides as a weekend off...

My apologies Innish, And yes i meant to say Park Utd on previous post.
Playing with Coachford . Played 1st friendly tonight with Donoughmore in a local tournament, won 3-0, Not a bad workout for 1st day out.

Innishvilla
07/08/2008, 7:33 AM
My apologies Innish, And yes i meant to say Park Utd on previous post.
Playing with Coachford . Played 1st friendly tonight with Donoughmore in a local tournament, won 3-0, Not a bad workout for 1st day out.

No worries junglegym... It'll be good to have another voice from the premier on this discussion forum...
Wonder if there are any from Division 1 out there...

olachico
08/08/2008, 3:41 AM
just saw the provisional third division league tables. Who are Castle Celtic and Cathedral Celtic. Are these new clubs. I thought the AUL wasn't letting new clubs in :confused::confused::confused:

littleman
08/08/2008, 7:36 AM
Castle Celtic are out towards Mallow direction.You get out as far as New Two Pot House an take the left if I remember correctly.They were in the Aul 7 or 8 years ago an originally Boher Celtic.Cathedral Celtic an this is a wild guess would be from the Blackpool /Cathedral Rd area an again thats only a guess.

What the Aul actually said regarding new teams was that teams wishing to join must provide a letter of undertaking confirming that they had both a pitch and dressing rooms for the season.That also applies to existing teams who rent or share pitch's.

Innishvilla
08/08/2008, 7:55 AM
Crikey... Springfield, St John Bosco's in a division with Los Zarcos (Milstreet), CFC Banteer.
You're looking at 100 mile round trip games there...

littleman
08/08/2008, 9:28 AM
Innish,any chance you could tell me who Grattans 2nd team are in with,I know its div 3 but with who.Me lap top is drivin me crazt takin so long to down load the page.

Innishvilla
08/08/2008, 10:48 AM
Innish,any chance you could tell me who Grattans 2nd team are in with,I know its div 3 but with who.Me lap top is drivin me crazt takin so long to down load the page.

From Billy's site,

Sorry I don't see any Grattan 2nd team???

Div 3
Afton Villa
Ard-na-Laoi
Ballincollig
Ballinhassig
Casement Celtic
De Courcy Albion
Greenwood
Kinsale
Parkview Cel
Richmond
UCC