PDA

View Full Version : Meyler Signs for Sunderland

Citymark
20/07/2008, 2:10 PM
According to todays Star, Meyler has signed for Sunerland in a deal worth up to 200,000 to CCFC. This could rise depending on appearances.

Best of luck to him, what I saw of him in games for city, he could do well.

From a CCFC point of view, not a bad deal considering how few first team games he has played.

Risteard
20/07/2008, 11:15 PM
Ya, can't be complaining really although I hope there's a % sell-on clause.

micls
20/07/2008, 11:17 PM
He was on the bench tonight.

Word on the city forum is that he's talking to Sunderland about a contract, but City have also offered him a new improved contract. Nice to see the ambition to try to keep him rather than just sell.

A face
20/07/2008, 11:57 PM
From a CCFC point of view, not a bad deal considering how few first team games he has played.

I'd disagree there, we should be hanging onto all the talent thats there and have them play and benefit our first team and then sell for a decent price ala Roy O'Donovan. €200,000 if it were true i wouldn't be happy about. Look at other player leaving Scandinavian leagues at the same age/stage, they are going for 5-10 times the price.

micls
21/07/2008, 12:01 AM
I'd disagree there, we should be hanging onto all the talent thats there and have them play and benefit our first team and then sell for a decent price ala Roy O'Donovan. €200,000 if it were true i wouldn't be happy about. Look at other player leaving Scandinavian leagues at the same age/stage, they are going for 5-10 times the price.

I'd be skeptical about that. A 19 year old scandinavian who's never started for the first team going for over a million?

Anyway, we are trying o hold on to him by offering a contract but realistically he isnt breaking into our first team for a while yet, so if he doesnt want to sign a new contract sell him while we can get decent money for him

Big Ears
21/07/2008, 3:06 AM
I've heard £180k or €226k , which isn't bad considering he's unproven at senior level .

It's not that long ago that the league's best established players would be going for less . Infact it's probably only about 2 years ago :D

pete
21/07/2008, 11:12 AM
200k or so is good money for guy who has not played senior football. Can we afford to turn that down & wait until next season to see if he becomes a star? Would he be better than Gamble or Healy?

A face
21/07/2008, 4:01 PM
Can we afford to turn that down & wait until next season to see if he becomes a star? Would he be better than Gamble or Healy?

Would he have been any good on the wing?

pete
21/07/2008, 4:37 PM

AM clearly believes he is not as good as Darren Murphy in that position & whatever anyone else thinks he is the person who would pick him.

minty
22/07/2008, 11:08 AM
i've seen him play and he looks like a really good prospect

Les Fluer
22/07/2008, 11:43 AM

No, because he is not a winger. Same as people asking why Alan O Connor was not tried on the wing. he is not a winger either. What is the point of playing players out of position?

joeSoap
22/07/2008, 1:58 PM
What is the point of playing players out of position? Perhaps to see if they could adapt to that position? Paul Scholes started out as a striker for United...Fergie gave him a game or two in the middle, and hey presto, a world class midfielder. Same for Ronaldo...an out and out winger who turned out to be a better centre forward.

A face
22/07/2008, 3:47 PM
Perhaps to see if they could adapt to that position? Paul Scholes started out as a striker for United...Fergie gave him a game or two in the middle, and hey presto, a world class midfielder. Same for Ronaldo...an out and out winger who turned out to be a better centre forward.

Roy O'Donovan, Kevin Doyle .... man there are countless times this has happened.

minty
23/07/2008, 11:23 AM
meyler could def do a job on the wing