PDA

View Full Version : Shame on The Sligo Public

Redie
18/07/2008, 10:59 AM
Emotions have been running high lately and a lot of finger pointing has been going on with the ‘I told you so’ brigade having a field day. However I think it boils down to one fundamental point - The people of Sligo should be ashamed of themselves for not getting off their arse and going to matches in the Showgrounds.

For the past two seasons we have had the best football played at the Showgrounds for a decade - at least - played by the highest quality of players to grace our pitch in that time and managed by the best manager we've had since Willie McStay. What more do they want.

At the start of this season the manager and the Committee took a risk and invested heavily in quality players in an effort to compete with the top teams on the field of play, OK it did not work out, for various reasons, but at least they had the ambition and the balls to go for it and I for one have nothing but respect for them.

What exactly are the 'Sports Mad Citizen's of Sligo' waiting for before they go to a match - A champions league Final? It’s pathetic.

osarusan
18/07/2008, 11:19 AM
Emotions have been running high lately and a lot of finger pointing has been going on with the ‘I told you so’ brigade having a field day. However I think it boils down to one fundamental point - The people of Sligo should be ashamed of themselves for not getting off their arse and going to matches in the Showgrounds.

For the past two seasons we have had the best football played at the Showgrounds for a decade - at least - played by the highest quality of players to grace our pitch in that time and managed by the best manager we've had since Willie McStay. What more do they want.

At the start of this season the manager and the Committee took a risk and invested heavily in quality players in an effort to compete with the top teams on the field of play, OK it did not work out, for various reasons, but at least they had the ambition and the balls to go for it and I for one have nothing but respect for them.

What exactly are the 'Sports Mad Citizen's of Sligo' waiting for before they go to a match - A champions league Final? It’s pathetic.

I agree with the thrust of your post, particularly the comment that the people of Sligo should be ashamed of themselves for not getting off their arses - it is a comment which could be made about the locals of any football club town. What do these people want / need to see before they'll go to a game?

But the part in bold, I disagree with. I think that this risky investment, which doesn't work out in the long term (or sometimes even in the short term), but only leads to financial difficulties of varying seriousness. This is what makes the papers and the news, this is what the 'Sports Mad Citizens of Sligo (or any other town)' see, and it contributes to the image they have of the eL as a crap, laughable joke of a league.

Only1Rovers
18/07/2008, 11:59 AM

No need for this type of non-constructive criticism. It achieves nothing and in many ways is hypocritical.

Get off your hight horse, stop pointing your big finger of moral righteousness and try and be a little more positive.

The league (FAI) should be doing more marketing-wise to attract people thought the turnstiles. The standard of football is not a bad as much of the population thinks it is. Many people will not go to the showgrounds because they believe they will not get value for money/entertainment.

The FAI should be trying to change this opinion, which I think they fail to address.

Having a pop at the Sligo masses is ridicules, especially on a forum such as this.

Mr A
18/07/2008, 12:45 PM
The league (FAI) should be doing more marketing-wise to attract people thought the turnstiles. The standard of football is not a bad as much of the population thinks it is. Many people will not go to the showgrounds because they believe they will not get value for money/entertainment.

The FAI should be trying to change this opinion, which I think they fail to address.

In all fairness the FAI are half funding a CPO for you and have managed to get us MNS which is a really massive step forward. The FAI have been steadily improving and I don't think SRFC can blame them for their current problems.

SRFC hit the end of last season with a big loss but ploughed on regardless hoping it would all come right. It didn't and now there's a crisis.

redobit
18/07/2008, 1:35 PM
Fair enough, most of the soccer fans are 'bar-stool football fans' but I think the people of sligo (both football and non- football fans) do care about Sligo Rovers.
Since the financial crisis has become national news i have talked to about half a dozen people who say they would gladly give the 50 quid for the syndicate, these are people who go the very odd time, if not at all, to the showgrounds. Ask any person in Sligo and they'd all say they wouldnt like rovers to go out of business.
What people decide to spend their hard earned cash on is up to them.

John83
18/07/2008, 1:36 PM
I'd agree with Mr A here. The FAI is making a good effort on this. They're not going to change opinions overnight.

thesilverfox
18/07/2008, 3:09 PM

Brilliant post Redie. Youve hit the nail on the head. Totally agree with ya. Shows the interest in the team, that the biggest crowd we had this season was probobly to see a bunch of geriatric liverpool players waddle about the showgrounds and prob get a good bit of money for it too. It was great to see the likes of harry, bomber, ski, dykes and padraig back in a rovers jersey, but it sickened me to see more people in liverpool jerseys in the crowd and actually support them aswell:mad:

Redie
18/07/2008, 3:39 PM
How many of that crowd do you think went to the next Rovers match silverfox?

thesilverfox
18/07/2008, 4:08 PM
How many of that crowd do you think went to the next Rovers match silverfox?
Apart from the usuals the follow rovers hail, rain or shine, id say we would have be lucky to tempt 200 of those "sunshiners" back to the showgrounds. it was against ucd and from memory it was a bad night with the weather but we should have seen a bigimprovement in the attendence for the derry game.

in my opinion if we dont see a marked improvement tomorrow were in bother. its a north west derby, and with national coverage we have got this week, we are definatly in the news. compared to previous summers we have no excuse with people saying the gaa are taking from our crowds. we need people out and we need them out in FORCE.

Only1Rovers
18/07/2008, 5:30 PM
a lot of finger pointing has been going on with the ‘I told you so’ brigade having a field day.

Who are the "I told you so" brigade, where have they been holding their field day? I haven't seen or heard them.

What is this tread about?

I don't think too many people go to see the All Stars play either, what does that say about the local proletariat.....?:confused:

avvenalaf
18/07/2008, 5:51 PM
And as for the Cathedral........................

Rovers Maniac
18/07/2008, 5:53 PM

Avvenalaf that just went over my head !

forza rovers
18/07/2008, 5:56 PM
playing the blame game it wont help at a time the club needs our support .everybody bring a friend to the game tomorrow and show them what the league has to offer.

Only1Rovers
18/07/2008, 9:06 PM

I think the Cathedral is getting the numbers through the gates again since they signed two top Eucharistic Ministers.

paudie
18/07/2008, 9:32 PM
Fair enough, most of the soccer fans are 'bar-stool football fans' but I think the people of sligo (both football and non- football fans) do care about Sligo Rovers.
Since the financial crisis has become national news i have talked to about half a dozen people who say they would gladly give the 50 quid for the syndicate, these are people who go the very odd time, if not at all, to the showgrounds. Ask any person in Sligo and they'd all say they wouldnt like rovers to go out of business.
What people decide to spend their hard earned cash on is up to them.

Those sentiments aren't worth much unless they actually do something about it ie - Go to a match!

Massop 10
19/07/2008, 8:20 AM
Lads spare a thought for us teams in the Graveyard (First) division ! We are lucky to get 300 through the gate now at Flancare Park. I blame summer soccer as clubs like Longford and the other clubs outside 'The Pale' can't compete with the Gaa and other summer activities. During the winter there was nothing else to do so lots more people had more time and money to go to a game. We ALL have to work together (all us rural teams) to think of a way to get bums on seats and help OUR clubs survive. Good luck to ye in Sligo and I hope all goes well and ye get the funds you need.

showgies
19/07/2008, 11:17 AM
I think the Cathedral is getting the numbers through the gates again since they signed two top Eucharistic Ministers.

I have heard Drogheda have made a bid for one of them :(

Only1Rovers
19/07/2008, 2:23 PM
I have heard Drogheda have made a bid for one of them :(

typical.....

I read in the Catholic Times the two have gone to St Peter's in Drogheda. There is a trip to Europe organised by Very Rev Canon James Carroll.

The two ministers said they could not turn down an opportunity to prove themselves in Europe.

redobit
21/07/2008, 9:48 AM
Those sentiments aren't worth much unless they actually do something about it ie - Go to a match!

If only paudie, if only. What i meant is that although they might not support rovers as such, they do care about the club, and would not like to see it go under. As they are willing to giv up the 50 quid, then they are doing somthin about it!