PDA

View Full Version : Dolan Out!

Pages : [1] 2 3

Peadar
01/09/2003, 5:20 PM
Am I a bit early with this post?
He has yet to impress me.
I think we'd have ended up like Shels and Derry if we were in Europe this season.
The negative image of our club that he's projecting to people outside Cork worries me to be honest.

jofyisgod
01/09/2003, 5:26 PM
Who cares what other people think. The Dubs hated us before anyway, and everyone else will hopefully sympathise with us due to Pat's anti-FAI views(eg. Waaaaaaaherford). ANyway, this club has come on leaps and bounds since he joined, especially off the pitch, and he seems to have a good working relationship with Lennox, and he is good for morale of both players and the fans. He also truly shows his passion for the club and is really thankful for the support. He has also brought in more behind the scenes staff like Linda Lewis,etc. and a great assistant in NOC.
How you cannot be impressed is beyond me!
Peter:confused:

niamh
01/09/2003, 7:37 PM
Em...said at the start of the season that Dolan should be given a season and then we start discussing how he's done then. He has made progress with club on and off the field. At the start of the season I was thinking Europe would be good at the end of it. I still think that.
I don't think we've done good enough in certain important matches but having seen them at home and away many times last season and this season, they have improved.

patsh
01/09/2003, 7:45 PM
Thread is a bit premature, I think.
He needs, at the very least, a full season before any sort of full judgement can be made.

Counting Crow
01/09/2003, 7:53 PM
Have to say Peadar I can't agree with you on this one.

Dolan has done a hell of a lot in the few months he has been in place - both on AND off the pitch.

He has raised the profile of the club to a level never seen before in this City - when was the last time you saw and heard Rugby and GAA heads talking and asking questions about City ...... and with genuine interest.

I've even seen some of them at our games this season.

He has reached out to the general public like no other manager has in the past also - laying good foundations for the future.

On the pitch it will take at least one season to blend a good enough team together.

Doyler and Coughlan are great signings and hopefully Kearney will be also. We played Rovers and Pats off the park recently ( not to mention The Drogs ) and the spirit in the Team is there to be seen.

A lot of people complained all season last year about Murphy and his apparent lack of enthusiasm ....... what exactly do you want?

Dolan is a legend already - let's stop this narrowmindedness now and give the guy a proper chance.

Colm
01/09/2003, 8:06 PM
I'm very happy with what Pat has done so far. We have made progress both on and off the pitch.
If we get into Europe this season it will have been a very good first season for Dolan & I believe he will win us a league in the next three seasons.
The amount of publicity he has generated for the club can only be a good thing.
The air of confidence and good feeling that most City fans are feeling this season is also down to him.

As far as I'm concerned...
Dolan = Legend

dahamsta
01/09/2003, 9:14 PM
Originally posted by Peadar
Am I a bit early with this post?I'm surprised it took this long... ;)

adam

A face
01/09/2003, 9:37 PM
If we are in the bottom half of the table in 12 months time .... i'll listen, till then put a sock in all this OUT cráp .... We can do without it.

Anyway the Pats fans are doing enough of it for us both :D

RedX
01/09/2003, 9:47 PM
a face...the Pats fans would feed off silly threads like this one.Whether City are leading this league or not it is CLEAR to see Pat Dolan has completely changed this club(with our brilliant chairman Brian Lennox)in the last 6 months.Our profile is at its highest since 1984.If we get into Europe i would be delighted and if not i certainly wont cry because success is not far away with our fantastic pairing of dedicated Cork City people Brian Lennox and Pat Dolan(and a few more i am sure behind the scenes).Peader your message must have been a wind up because if it aint you really need to take off your blinkers..

Ultan
02/09/2003, 7:52 AM
Sweet Suffering Jesus, aren't you people ever happy? You know, there's more to life then just hounding out your manager...

Peadar
02/09/2003, 8:05 AM
We can beat Drogheda 4-0 and that's fine but we can't beat Shels, Bohs, Pats or Waterford. We're still very average yet that seems to be us playing well. We don't seem to have enough creative options and teams are very quickly learning our game and dealing with it. Obviously you can say that the trimming of the squad due to financial constraints have impacted on our diversity but who have we really let go?
No one special.
We'll be lucky to finish 4th, just above Rovers.

Dodge
02/09/2003, 8:14 AM
Originally posted by Ultan
Sweet Suffering Jesus, aren't you people ever happy? You know, there's more to life then just hounding out your manager...
Bit rich coming from a Bohs fan... (Staying completely away from the main point of this thread...)

Ultan
02/09/2003, 8:34 AM
Originally posted by Dodge
Bit rich coming from a Bohs fan... (Staying completely away from the main point of this thread...)
I don't know about that. (Pete Mahon excepted of course. Managers who have the ability to take double winning teams to the relegation zone in a few short months tend not to be to popular.)

Anyways, staying on topic - Dolan out. You all may continue....

NorthoftheLee
02/09/2003, 8:35 AM
half a season gone and they're out of the wood work already....christ i really have to wonder about some peoples knowledge of football......For fuc sake the man is in the job for half a season...what do you expect in that short time..???? this season was all about pat getting to know the players and the club.....bring in a few of his own.....and most expectations were 3rd spot before the season started....we are still on course for that......next season will see more of a pat dolan city team....we should be challenging more...still dont expect to win the league though....its pats 3rd season in charge where my expectations will be the league...........Managers need time to build their team.it takes a while.....we are still short in squad terms...we need a few more quality players but that will come during the off season...........

Peader you say we cant beat Shels, Bohs(3-2), St Pats, Waterford......well thats 3 teams we havent beaten in the league this year.....played shels twice( 0-0, 1-1- Should have won both games--they cant beat us either), St pats 3 times (0-0,1-1, 0-2 - did not deserve to lose that one), and waterford ....(1-1, 1-2 - remember THAT penalty decision) .....Bohs (3-2, 1-1 - what more do you want???)..so we play waterford, shels and Bohs twice more this season.........plenty of chances to win a few games there...........:rolleyes:

The professionalism aspect of the club has improved dramatically too.........comercial manager, excellent programme, etc....the club has stabilised after years of mismanagement..........

Where do people get this notion that City have a devine right to win everything??????...remember we have won One league and One FAI cup in our short history.....we have no devine right to anything...what we do have is a potential to be the biggest club in the LOI...Our average attendance is up again, which means more money for the club, more money for the team, I believe that City under Lennox and Pat, have an excellent chance to fulfill that potential and I will give them all my support over the next few years.....If no improvement has been made team wise by Pats 3rd season then I will begin to question....but for now....Im 100% behind Pat and the team......

Peadar
02/09/2003, 8:52 AM
Originally posted by NorthoftheLee
we play waterford, shels and Bohs twice more this season.........plenty of chances to win a few games there...........:rolleyes:

Out of those 6 games I'd bet that we win 1 game and that's away to Waterford.
I keep hearing this whole, "Pat needs a season to get to know the players." That's crap in my mind.
Dolan is involved in the League of Ireland for years and if he was a half decent manager he'd be well aware of the players we had at City before we came. He brought in players that he was familiar with and after that it should only take half a season to get to know the players. Bearing in mind he sees them more than once a week like we do.
People talk about how big a club we are and how big our crowds are but I neve remember the FAI giving a trophy for that.
They give trophies for winning the League, winning the League Cup and winning the Association Cup.
We cannot win two of those and don't look likely to win the third.
The core of our team has been together since last season and we should be aiming to win something greater than the Munster Senior Cup.

NorthoftheLee
02/09/2003, 9:32 AM
Dolan is involved in the League of Ireland for years and if he was a half decent manager he'd be well aware of the players we had at City before we came

seeing a player at another club and managing a player day in day out are two completely different things...you dont get to know a player when he plays for a different team...you know nothing about the players personalities, how they tick, how to deal with them in certain situations...that all takes time...there is a bonding period that needs to takes place..........

People talk about how big a club we are and how big our crowds are but I neve remember the FAI giving a trophy for that.
They give trophies for winning the League, winning the League Cup and winning the Association Cup.
We cannot win two of those and don't look likely to win the third.

did you just not read what I said??

Where do people get this notion that City have a devine right to win everything??????...remember we have won One league and One FAI cup in our short history.....we have no devine right to anything...what we do have is a POTENTIAL to be the biggest club in the LOI...

The word is POTENTIAL........
what makes you think that we should be winning these trophys?? its not exactly like we have been doing it every year before Pat took over ..so where does your belief that we SHOULD be winning these trophys come from..??????

The core of our team has been together since last season and we should be aiming to win something greater than the Munster Senior Cup.

the core of the team played under Liam Murphy last year....different system, training etc.....

when dolan took over it was the same for all players.,..they had to get used to new methods.........listen to the players...they are all behind pat and can see all the positives that he brings to the club.........

Think of successful managers such as Bill Shankly and Alex Ferguson.....they won fuc all in their first 4 seasons or so and went on to dramatically change the fortunes of their respective clubs............its called patience......try to get some.........

we were so far behind last year....how the hell do you think that we should be challenging for the league????????

and as for your 1 game out of the six theory....mystic meg now are we.????:confused:

Peadar
02/09/2003, 9:50 AM
what makes you think that we should be winning these trophys?? its not exactly like we have been doing it every year before Pat took over ..so where does your belief that we SHOULD be winning these trophys come from..??????

Maybe you're happy to plod along and satisfied with mid-table mediocrity but I've had my fill of it. People are so quick to make excuses for Dolan but Liam Murphy was slated. From what I can see it's Dolans media personality that makes him better in the eyes of many City supporters. That doesn't wash for me.

NorthoftheLee
02/09/2003, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Peader
Maybe you're happy to plod along and satisfied with mid-table mediocrity but I've had my fill of it. People are so quick to make excuses for Dolan but Liam Murphy was slated. From what I can see it's Dolans media personality that makes him better in the eyes of many City supporters. That doesn't wash for me.

Im not happy and never said I was....What I was trying to point out is ...how do you expect Pat to turn the club and team completely around in a half a season??? Its fucin impossible....our squad at the start of the season was no where good ebough to compete....its still not there but it is getting better....The fitness has improved greatly, the passion is there in abundance with the players...I havent agreed with every decision the manager has made but i will still give him 100% support......the players seem to have lots of faith in him....they enjoy playing fo rhim...thats a good thing in my mind.....he has tried to bring in other qualtiy players but has been unsuccessful.....he has tried hard though...and will continue to try......

Managers of a new club shlould be judged over a few seasons not 20 games.........Give the man a proper chance to turn things around....Pat Dolan out after half a season is just pathetic.....

...Football for the vast majority of clubs doesnt inlcude silverware every season.....when it does come though ...its all the more sweeter..........

you are talking about Pat out.....you have offered no alternatives no proper reasons...you cant blame the man for the lack of success the club has had....hes only been here a few months...
give the man some fucin time..........

liamon
02/09/2003, 11:21 AM
From what I can see it's Dolans media personality that makes him better in the eyes of many City supporters. That doesn't wash for me.

Yeah, I do like Dolan's media personality. It's raising the profile of CCFC and getting people interested in their local football team. That's brillaint for city. More fans = more cash = more profesional contracts = better players.
We need more media coverage, not less.
Media coverage is what made the english Premiership into the monster it is today. It's what can also turn city into a huge club. If you can't see that, then take a trip to specsavers.

And Pat needs at least 12 months to make this into his team. At the start of the season, he took time to see what our squad could do. Now he's bringing in players to improve us: Casey, Doyle being 2 examples. Constructing a squad takes time. Plus, he's working with our existing players. Woods is much improved now that he's dropped into defence. Colin T is looking good again in a central role. He's brough George's game on quite a bit. Much more rounded player than at the start of the season. We're improving all the time. Just look at away form compared to last season.

Dolan out? Don't make me laugh.

Give him at least one season to set things up and we'll see how things are progressing at the start of next season.

Peadar
02/09/2003, 12:01 PM
you are talking about Pat out.....you have offered no alternatives no proper reasons...

Roddy Collins.
Bohs were in the relegation play-off with Cobh and before you know it they're after winning the double and having a great run in the UEFA Cup.

Gary
02/09/2003, 12:31 PM
:D

I wasnt sure, but now im certain. Peadar, you are taking the peepee. I mean if everything u are saying about Dolan is true, then that rubbishes every argument u ever made pro Gunther.

You said if Dolan was a good amnger who had been around the eL he would know the players. Well Gunther worked with these players 1st hand for yrs, and what did we win under him? Nada.

NorthoftheLee
02/09/2003, 12:35 PM
Roddy Collins.

:D :D :D

i wish i hadnt fallin for this obvious wind-up thread :rolleyes:

we'll have 11 great boxers....off to the olympics........

Peadar
02/09/2003, 12:53 PM
we'll have 11 great boxers....off to the olympics........

We'd be in his TV show. What better media exposure could we ask for?
They would have to change the name to The Rod Squad, Rebel Army Edition.

pete
02/09/2003, 1:27 PM
One criticism of Dolan would be his failure to get in more new players to the squad. Sure he brought in some players who didn't make the grade but most tended to be defensive type players.

On the otherhand Dolan has to be praised for improving the performances of most players in the squad. Only players playing worse than last year might be Greg & Dan Murray but maybe thats the captains curse? We got plenty of good young players who look like they will improve under Dolan.

Don't think Dolan can be praised for the off the field improvements as that would surely be Brian Lennoxs role.

niamh
02/09/2003, 2:10 PM
The only thing I would say is that certain have gone too pro-Dolan. He is hardly a hero or legend until City win something. Any manager could have improved the club as it was with the chairman City have.

NorthoftheLee
02/09/2003, 2:52 PM
He is hardly a hero or legend until City win something

agreed...........all i am saying is give the man a fair chance to prove what he can do.

hero if City win something
legend if City continuously win things

Neil
02/09/2003, 2:56 PM
Roddy Collins.
Ah Peadar! Stop!
:D :D :D

wws
02/09/2003, 2:59 PM
I think he needs to be given more time on the football side but agree with niamh some people just hail him as a legend for no reason, you gotta admit thats some charisma the man has if he can inspire blind faith for little (so far) in return to cork city, he obviously has something there and its one of his strong characteristics

from an outsider looking in the difference betweem Liam Murphy and Pat Dolan's respective contributions to Cork City FC seem to be measured by their personalities rather than their footballing merit as managers

I get the impression Murphy wasnt personable whereas Dolan is the opposite. Whether that will sign you players in the long run, (Cork's biggest problem area that needs addressing) is debateable.

Thats the view of an outsider looking in.

James
02/09/2003, 3:29 PM
bang on wws
exactly how i'd see it
he aint a legend just quite yet

same as oflynn and ocallaghan arent imo legends yet.. (but well on their way to it i might add)..to the same extent as morely and caulfield
legendary status has a longeivity synonomous with it, as well as winning something other then the munster senior cup :D

Gary
02/09/2003, 7:23 PM
Originally posted by James
bang on wws
exactly how i'd see it

Are you turning into a dub or what?
Now ur calling urself an outsider?
Where are u from?
:D

Éanna
02/09/2003, 11:33 PM
I think we'd have ended up like Shels and Derry if we were in Europe this season.
The negative image of our club that he's projecting to people outside Cork worries me to be honest.
Having heard your reasons peadar i can understand some of the points but IMO htere is only one way to judge the issue: are city in a better position now than we were before he took over? the answer is an unequivocal yes. Without going into too muh detail: more pro players, more professional outlook better football. Thats enough for me. Not to say he's always right. He should drop the pen fight with Eamon Collins, he shoudln't have played hedderman where he did. he shouldn't have signed derek. But he's a lot better than murphy

tiktok
03/09/2003, 6:50 PM
i think the points niamh, liamon and wws made are all pretty accurate.

we're still in the stage where we're seeing the potential that city have. Dolan has improved the awareness of the club, as mentioned in another thread revenues and sponsorship receipts are up, but a lot of this credit goes to Brian Lennox. Off the field we're definitely heading in the right direction.

on the field we're still building, i agree with wws that we need to do more to compete with the dublin clubs for signing bigger names, the off the field finances and dolans enthusiasm will hopefully aid this.

talking about getting rid of Dolan is daft at the moment, he's only had a brief stay and needs to be given time.

niamh
03/09/2003, 7:50 PM
His personality is one of Dolan's strength I think we would all agree but all of us would also agree it would be better to have success on the pitch than to be highly regarded by everyone off it.

Peadar
04/09/2003, 8:48 AM
Originally posted by niamh
all of us would also agree it would be better to have success on the pitch than to be highly regarded by everyone off it.

Exactly Niamh, what better way to generate publicity for the club than to parade the eircom League trophy down Parna in an open top bus?!?!
If we win all our games from now 'til the end of the season we would surely win the league.

joeSoap
04/09/2003, 9:09 AM
Jesus, Mary and Joseph...you people don't know how good ye have it!!! Spare a thought or two for the little man...us....who have nothing..nil...nada...except for the memories of last years league cup victory where, of course we beat ye on the way:D :D
Then, of course ye go and nick our manager to become the Great Ones assistant...Be happy for fcuks sake...ye've got a great ground, great managerial team, great players and the knowledge that ye can be the best in the country.Put yourselves in my shoes...no ground...250-300 turning up for matches, no enthusiasm or prospects and a committee full of despots and tyrants...Be thankful...

Peadar
04/09/2003, 2:23 PM
Originally posted by joeSoap
no enthusiasm or prospects and a committee full of despots and tyrants...

Those were the good old days in Limerick.
I heard you're really in the shít now.
Maybe Dolan can help?
He'll be available at the end of the season. :D

liamon
04/09/2003, 2:57 PM
Jesus, Mary and Joseph...you people don't know how good ye have it!!! ...Be thankful...
If ya think we're bad: the Shels fans are calling for their manager to be sacked, despite leading the league for most of the season and still being well placed ot win the damn thing.

joeSoap
04/09/2003, 3:44 PM
Who the fluck is this Peader geezer??? Have any of ye tried to suffocate the p rick???

Peadar
04/09/2003, 4:59 PM
Have any of ye tried to suffocate the p rick???

I thought stabbing was the muderers choice in your insignificant part of the world?

pete
04/09/2003, 5:19 PM
I thought stabbing was the muderers choice in your insignificant part of the world?

Theres been a run on knives lately so its back to manual murder.

;)

ccfcman
04/09/2003, 8:09 PM
negative image of Cork worries me to be honest.

wot neg image,r u confuzing negative wit positive there eh?

ccfcman
04/09/2003, 8:11 PM
If we win all our games from now 'til the end of the season we would surely win the league.
if we win is right will we win,doubt it biy!

tiktok
04/09/2003, 9:46 PM
Originally posted by ccfcman
wot neg image,r u confuzing negative wit positive there eh?

i think he's referring to a growing dislike some of the other clubs have for us, doesn't bother me to be honest. much of it seems to be due to petty niggly arguments asround the message boards about the size of crowds and of flags.
some call it jealousy, others call it dislike for our delusions of grandeur.
could be worse, we could be Shels:D :D

Peadar
05/09/2003, 8:20 AM
Originally posted by tiktok
i think he's referring to a growing dislike some of the other clubs have for us,

Living in Dublin when you're asked what club you support and your reply is "Cork City FC", you expect and enjoy a bit of banter but more and more recently it's negative references to Dolan. This is in turn negative for the club. It's very hard to see this if you live in Cork. I'm sure other expats will agree with me.
To be honest I don't advocate the removal of managers too soon after they've been appointed. It provides for uncertainty and instability within the squad and indeed the club. I accept that Dolan has a 3 year contract and on current form would be agreeable with him fullfilling that contract. The reason I posed the question was to encourage certain people to examine the basis of their loyalty and admiration of Patrick Dolan. Hero status is hard earned especially in a county with a proud sporting tradition such as ours. Support our team and our manager but keep the worship for church on Sunday. At least until we've reason to purchase industral sized tubs of silver polish.

liamon
05/09/2003, 8:28 AM
To be fair, Dolan does contribute hugely to the dislike that exists towards CCFC. He does spend a lot of time criticising the Dublin clubs, etc and this does provoke a reaction from their fans.

Having said that, I couldn't give a damn how we're viewed. Real Madrid don't get a friendly reception in Barca, but that doesn't affect them.

So, i wouldn't see any reason to tone down our support for CCFC

Peadar
05/09/2003, 8:47 AM
Originally posted by liamon
So, i wouldn't see any reason to tone down our support for CCFC

I wasn't suggesting that anyone should tone down their support for Cork City FC, far from it.
I was suggesting that people be a little more cautious with there adoration of Dolan.

ccfcman
05/09/2003, 9:21 AM
**** the dubs>dolan loves city and so do we its as simple as that

Peadar
05/09/2003, 9:39 AM
dolan loves city

Why does he love City?
Because he was born there?
Because he grew up a fan?
or
Because he has a 3 year contract.
In the history of the club, Pat Dolans love for City will be recorded as a mere holiday romance not a undying love.

niamh
05/09/2003, 10:03 AM
**** the dubs>dolan loves city and so do we its as simple as that

but he loved St. Pats more than anyone until a few months ago. Of course he loves City now - some City fans give him the adoration he longs for.
I was still living in Dublin when his appointment was announced. Most people thought he'd improve the club, and he has. But they also talked about him and the way he consistantly has some cause to chase after and consistantly making out that everyone hates him - a siege mentality.
Fans in general don't like him and a result don't like City.
Pats fans are so glad they are rid of him, how many City fans have stopped to wonder why that is??
They laughing at us cause we think he's the business.

NorthoftheLee
05/09/2003, 12:09 PM
I dont adore the man........but I think he has done a good & steady job since he came here and am willing to get behind him 100% over the next couple of season in his pursuit of glory for Cork City...

my repsonse was to the Dolan Out Comment which I stil think is crazy after half a season.....

I also dont give two shíts what other fans of other clubs think of our Club.......