PDA

View Full Version : Dolan Out!

Pages : 1 [2] 3

niamh
05/09/2003, 12:57 PM
Neither do I particularly but there are those among us who have been taken in by the Pat Dolan light.

Dodge
05/09/2003, 1:18 PM
"I also dont give two shíts what other fans of other clubs think of our Club......."

You shouldn't care what opposition fans think but when he was here we got no co-operation from the FAI/ eL or any of our rivals (He made enemies too easily and it cost us) If at official club level Cork is not liked by anybody there's a problem. As Lennox handles everything (apparently) it shouldn't be a problem.

Sorry for butting in...

Colm
05/09/2003, 1:26 PM
Originally posted by liamon
To be fair, Dolan does contribute hugely to the dislike that exists towards CCFC. He does spend a lot of time criticising the Dublin clubs, etc and this does provoke a reaction from their fans.

To be honest, I think that's great. Most of the great managers, past and present, have used a seige mentality in order to gain great success. If Dolan does the same with us, great.
No-one likes us, we don't care.:)

NorthoftheLee
05/09/2003, 1:50 PM
Originally posted by Dodge
You shouldn't care what opposition fans think but when he was here we got no co-operation from the FAI/ eL or any of our rivals

to be honest in our case, there's no change then :)

Peadar
05/09/2003, 1:56 PM
Originally posted by Colm
Most of the great managers, past and present, have used a seige mentality in order to gain great success.

That was in the days when our players were more rhobust than skillfull. We're in different times now where professionalism is the word on everyones lips. To rely on the seige mentality as our key strenght is just plain crazy. Sure it makes sense to make teams feel intimidated in Turners Cross but making enemies of other League clubs will only harm us.

patsh
05/09/2003, 1:58 PM
Originally posted by niamh
Neither do I particularly but there are those among us who have been taken in by the Pat Dolan light.
:confused:

liamon
05/09/2003, 3:39 PM
Originally posted by Peadar
That was in the days when our players were more rhobust than skillfull. ... To rely on the seige mentality as our key strenght is just plain crazy. .

I don't think anyone suggested we rely on a siege mentality as our main strategy. Many of the top managers in Europe use this technique to build team spirit up to this day. Just look at Wenger ranting about Arsenal getting picked on in the eng prem div.

Don't see a problem with it, if it gets results.

tiktok
05/09/2003, 3:43 PM
ah liamon, don't compare Dolan to Arsene Whinger:D

liamon
05/09/2003, 3:49 PM
Yeah, I apologise.
Dolan's obviously a man of far greater stature.

TheNorthsider
05/09/2003, 4:46 PM
would have replied earlier but im still laughing at peaders suggestion of having roddy as our manager,are u spending too much time watching dublin clubs peader that u have secretly started to support one of them and are just posting here to wind us up.Roddy will be back plastering soon so if anyone has any foxer u might throw it his way he might need a few bob to tie him over until he as he says fulfills his dream of managing ireland :D

Éanna
05/09/2003, 11:53 PM
Why does he love City?
Because he was born there?
Because he grew up a fan?
or
Because he has a 3 year contract.
In the history of the club, Pat Dolans love for City will be recorded as a mere holiday romance not a undying love.
Just to put this on the record, I spoke to Dolan once or twice when he was at Pats and he was full of admiration for City and said things like "Imagine what you could do down here", "you have amazing potential down here in cork" etc., I think he has always had an interest in managing city to be honest

Originally posted by Dodge
"I also dont give two shíts what other fans of other clubs think of our Club......."

You shouldn't care what opposition fans think but when he was here we got no co-operation from the FAI/ eL or any of our rivals (He made enemies too easily and it cost us) If at official club level Cork is not liked by anybody there's a problem. As Lennox handles everything (apparently) it shouldn't be a problem.

Sorry for butting in...
We get ****-all from the FAI and the league anyway, so it makes no difference. Good point all the same

Peadar
08/09/2003, 8:43 AM
Paul Doolin has been given permission to speak with Dorkgheda this week (Tuesday I think). I'd hate to seem him go there because he'd almost certainly make them a good team. Heard whisper on Friday that he was going to see out the season at UCD and take over Rovers next season.
He's the type of manager I'd like to see at City.
Pat Dolan can do the PR stuff.
Doolin has UCD playing some good football and to be fair their league position is not an honest reflection of this.
They've been unlucky in a few games but I hope they stay up if it means the Louth crowd go down.
Doolin for City...

ccfcman
08/09/2003, 8:48 AM

Because he has a 3 year contract.
In the history of the club, Pat Dolans love for City will be recorded as a mere holiday romance not a undying love.
questionoing his loyalty?
f-ck sake hes not even a season in

Peadar
08/09/2003, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by ccfcman
questionoing his loyalty?
f-ck sake hes not even a season in

Pat Dolan should start selling tickets for something, anything.
He'd make a fortune because so many people here buy every tale he spins. Such a trusting nation the Peoples Republic is!

ccfcman
08/09/2003, 10:35 AM
hes not an advertising gimmic hes the manager!:D

paudie
09/09/2003, 11:02 AM
I agree with the general tone of most of the comments.

It's much too early to make definitive conclusions about Pat. He's brought in a lot of new players who will take time to settle.

There are things I don't like eg his eagerness to make comments about everything under the sun some of them not the smartest in the world.

This seems to be an ego thing but thats just part of his personality that you have to live with.

Lets leave it till the end of his second season at least.

Peadar
09/09/2003, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by paudie
Lets leave it till the end of his second season at least.

Well since my main candidate, Paul Doolin has been appointed new manager of Drogheda United after dumping UCD yesterday morning, I'll settle for Dolan for now.

dalo
09/09/2003, 12:56 PM
peader has made some very good points. why should everyone get all pro dolan all of a sudden. however athe guy does need at least another couple of seasons before a proper assessment can be made (unless of course he turns into as bad a manager as mountie). i think the fact he has spoken to a few of the supporters clubs has moisten their trousers a bit, hence the OTT pro pat reactions

that said city have dissapointed so far. our away form is as dismal as ever and in key games against pats at the cross, shels in the cup and waterford in the league the team has bottled it. as for the return of coughlan him coming back hardly settles our problesm at the back, god knows he was responible for enough leaky goals when he played for us. the club should be a lot higher and it is clear we will be finishing 5th this season

also o'callaghan (here I go again) isn't really a centre forward is he. perhaps a move to midfield might do the trick. flynn is the real differance at this club.

anyway as james pointed legends aren't born in half a season, neither are failures.

the jury is still out as far i am concerned

Peadar
09/09/2003, 1:02 PM
Originally posted by dalo
as for the return of coughlan him coming back hardly settles our problesm at the back,

I thought Kevin Murray did well on Sunday.
We can't credit Dolan for him though.

tiktok
09/09/2003, 4:53 PM
.....(unless of course he turns into as bad a manager as mountie)...

there was nothing wrong with Derek Mountfield, he was sacked after three losses in a row, one that put us out of the cup and two league games, where if we'd taken four points we would have been top of the league. we all know the ego that was behind him being sacked, and it's only now we're getting past that old boy's club mentality.

Dolan had a similarly bad run recently, which spawned this thread, we are rightly supporting Dolan now, shame a few more people didn't stand up for the manager back then.

ian
09/09/2003, 6:06 PM
Lads give it a rest for f--k sake. We will be up there at the end of the season and all you lads will be the first to sake Pat's hand if he gets us in to europe. So lads stop this sh-t now.:o

cfcgirl
09/09/2003, 6:20 PM
lets give dolan a chance i think we are to soon to judge

Éanna
09/09/2003, 8:24 PM
i think the fact he has spoken to a few of the supporters clubs has moisten their trousers a bit, hence the OTT pro pat reactions

you're even worse than dunphy. you're only happy when you're annoying people :rolleyes:
You want reasons to be happy? Here:
1. More professional running of the whole club than at any time in its history.
2. More professional players than ever before.
3. A manager who speaks to fans, acknowledges their existence and doesn't insult them. AND he even writes his own programme notes :eek:
4. Team playing better football than last year,not perfect, but better.
5. A manager who actually goes out into the community and promotes the club.
6. A more coherent strategy long-term for the club for training facilities.
7. A manager who shares, promotes and aids his chairmans and his fans vision for the club.

Put simply my primary concern with City is that the fans are appreciate as the ones who make this club exist, because thats the bare bones of it. Its finally happening. We could be bottom of the league and I'd be happier than I was last season. Dolan isn't the greatest tactical genius of alll time, if he was, lets face it, he wouldn't be managing in this league. he has lifted our clubs profile, professionalised the approach of club and players and shown some appreciation to fans who were ritually shat on by baords and managers down the years. brian Lennox is a huge part of this, but IMO is quite happy to leave Dolan have the acclaim for it. Now please, just quit griping and sniping.

Colm
09/09/2003, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by ian
Lads give it a rest for f--k sake. We will be up there at the end of the season and all you lads will be the first to sake Pat's hand if he gets us in to europe. So lads stop this sh-t now.:o

I totally agree with you Ian. Some people here seem to bitching for the sake of bitching, give Pat a chance, he's still quite new to the job.

Colm
09/09/2003, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by Éanna
you're even worse than dunphy. you're only happy when you're annoying people :rolleyes:
You want reasons to be happy? Here:
1. More professional running of the whole club than at any time in its history.
2. More professional players than ever before.
3. A manager who speaks to fans, acknowledges their existence and doesn't insult them. AND he even writes his own programme notes :eek:
4. Team playing better football than last year,not perfect, but better.
5. A manager who actually goes out into the community and promotes the club.
6. A more coherent strategy long-term for the club for training facilities.
7. A manager who shares, promotes and aids his chairmans and his fans vision for the club.

Put simply my primary concern with City is that the fans are appreciate as the ones who make this club exist, because thats the bare bones of it. Its finally happening. We could be bottom of the league and I'd be happier than I was last season. Dolan isn't the greatest tactical genius of alll time, if he was, lets face it, he wouldn't be managing in this league. he has lifted our clubs profile, professionalised the approach of club and players and shown some appreciation to fans who were ritually shat on by baords and managers down the years. brian Lennox is a huge part of this, but IMO is quite happy to leave Dolan have the acclaim for it. Now please, just quit griping and sniping.

I agree with all of the above, Eanna. However, you should know by now that there is no point in trying to reason with the likes of Dalo. He's the same fella who was getting all upset last year when people were giving out about Liam Murphy, yet now he himself is not too happy with Dolan.:rolleyes: I don't know, maybe some people don't like to see our club making such great progress.

Peadar
10/09/2003, 8:48 AM
Originally posted by Colm
Some people here seem to bitching for the sake of bitching

I'm just posing the question.
Asking people to tell me what it is that makes him an instant hero, that's all.

curts82
10/09/2003, 12:25 PM
I don't rate him at all. Great for Motivation is good from him but tactically not very good

ccfcman
10/09/2003, 5:16 PM
give him time

Éanna
10/09/2003, 5:17 PM
I'm just posing the question.
fair enough. and its been answered :)

Peadar
12/09/2003, 8:49 AM
its been answered :)

It has raised more questions than it's answered I think Eanna.

dalo
12/09/2003, 2:25 PM
eanna doesn't read what I write either. as I say pat and the team haven't been as great as people say but let's give it a couple of seasons. that's all I am saying. anyone like eanna that things our football has been perfect really needs to get to the games a bit more (will eanna fall for it?)

as for me "griping". have i yet been proved wrong?

anyway fair play to peader for bringing the topic up

Peadar
12/09/2003, 2:34 PM
anyway fair play to peader for bringing the topic up

No problem Dalo, you're wonderful too :D

Éanna
12/09/2003, 7:17 PM
anyone like eanna that things our football has been perfect really needs to get to the games a bit more (will eanna fall for it?)
no he won't. :rolleyes:

golly
15/09/2003, 3:23 PM
i honestly cant believe ye are questioning d manager after half of his first season in charge. i dont think people are claiming pat is a hero coz hes not[he will b though] i think people are appreciating what he is trying to do for US YHE FANS. we have longed for a succesful team dolan realises dis and is trying to give it 2 us. he is no genius tactically but what hes done in in his time here so far is brought the club up a level off the pitch and he has us i a position in the league were we are fighting for europe and possibly more but i feel givin a chance were going to b a very succesful club. the youth we have here is frightning they can dominate irish football for years if they want it dolan will make em want it coz he appreciates and knows we want it. let us not ignore the contribution brian lennox is having at this club.

Peadar
15/09/2003, 4:23 PM
Originally posted by golly
what hes done in in his time here so far is brought the club up a level off the pitch and he has us i a position in the league were we are fighting for europe

That's where we were last season too until the last few games.
No improvement there then.

Éanna
16/09/2003, 6:15 PM
That's where we were last season too until the last few games.
No improvement there then.
nonsense. we were in a false position last season and got what we deserved.

tiktok
16/09/2003, 6:22 PM
.....a false position.....

:eek: :eek: oh my God......Eanna....is....Noel King :eek: :D

Éanna
16/09/2003, 6:31 PM
Originally posted by tiktok
:eek: :eek: oh my God......Eanna....is....Noel King :eek: :D
1. I'm not wearing a tie.
2. My head is not bobbing back and forth at the keyboard.
3. I'm not a horrible jackeen

:D

Peadar
31/08/2004, 12:36 PM
Apparently Bobby Robson is looking for a job.
I know the perfect place for him ;)
See ya Pat.
Time for you to make some other unfortunate club the "greatest!"

Ruairi
31/08/2004, 1:24 PM
1. I'm not wearing a tie.
2. My head is not bobbing back and forth at the keyboard.
3. I'm not a horrible jackeen

:D

well, two of those three are right anyway...

pete
31/08/2004, 1:54 PM
Apparently Bobby Robson is looking for a job.
I know the perfect place for him ;)

Maybe Roddy has a place for at CHF?

;)

jofyisgod
31/08/2004, 5:21 PM
Maybe Roddy has a place for at CHF?

;)

He'd probably bring the average age of the squad down with some of Roddy's recent buys. It's like Age Concern or something there.

Fair_play_boy
01/09/2004, 6:18 PM
This thread is now one year old. Isn't it about time it was consigned to the recycling bin along with certain issues of the Evening Echo?

Peadar
13/09/2004, 3:37 PM
This thread is now one year old. Isn't it about time it was consigned to the recycling bin along with certain issues of the Evening Echo?

If you put it in the bin I'll start another one.
He's getting away with murder!
I've given him every chance to prove me wrong but he's failed.
Think Brian may have had enough of him too.
We need a man with a football brain if we want to be more than just a third placed team.

Colm
13/09/2004, 4:08 PM

You started this thread over a year ago before his first season was even over, that's hardly giving him much of a chance to prove himself!

NorthoftheLee
13/09/2004, 4:15 PM

a whole season and a half.......wow thats loads of time to give him......christ all mighty, you'd think that he'd inherited a team full of superstars when he took over and that the club was winning everything the way some people are talking......

the squad is a hell of a lot better and will be better still next season..the club (background staff,etc.) has improved since Dolan took over and I for one are prepared to give him time to transform the club into one that can consistently challenge for the league for years to come and not just be one season wonders....that means building a solid foundation for the club for years to come...(look at the average age of the team)...1 and a half seasons is nothing in terms of football....I dont agree with everything Dolan is doing and some of the decisions of late are puzzling but I am prepared to give him time to get things right and build his team......he has yet to spend a euro on transfers and has been turned down by some very good players(not his fault- location/money reasons)..I for one will be getting behind him and team for the rest of the season and all of next. I will make my judgment on Dolan at the end of next season.

Fair_play_boy
13/09/2004, 5:03 PM
Brian Lennox is no fool. He gave Dolan the job based on his qualities as a manager. Performance-wise, City are heading in the right direction. You build a whol;e club, not just a team. Every indicator I can see about the future of the club is positive. I agree especially with the last post, where it says that some decisions are a bit puzzling, but who is to say that these are not good professional judgements? I have a lot of faith in Pat Dolan. I am looking forward to another season and a half under his management. So far, his success has been in having the balz to take decisions which might not produce instant results, but which are building strong foundations for the future development of the club as a whole. Lennox is constantly asking us as fans to be patient, which is good business advice to people who are part of a sound long term plan. You don't ditch a good plan half way through. Remember, Sky TV did not turn a profit until it was five years on the road. Alex Ferguson won nothing with Man U for his first four years. This club is going somewhere. It needs the support of us, the fans, to succeed. Better to be behind the team and management, rather than be on top of them. :ball:

jofyisgod
13/09/2004, 5:32 PM
Better to be behind the team and management, rather than be on top of them. :ball:

Spot on-Dolan Out? :rolleyes: Rubbish.

UP THE REBEL ARMY!SUPPORT YOUR TEAM!!

A face
13/09/2004, 9:11 PM
Chríst above .... do we have to go through all this shíte again.
See the bigger picture FFS ...... typical knee jerk reaction again !!

Colm
13/09/2004, 10:01 PM
a whole season and a half.......wow thats loads of time to give him......christ all mighty, you'd think that he'd inherited a team full of superstars when he took over and that the club was winning everything the way some people are talking......

the squad is a hell of a lot better and will be better still next season..the club (background staff,etc.) has improved since Dolan took over and I for one are prepared to give him time to transform the club into one that can consistently challenge for the league for years to come and not just be one season wonders....that means building a solid foundation for the club for years to come...(look at the average age of the team)...1 and a half seasons is nothing in terms of football....I dont agree with everything Dolan is doing and some of the decisions of late are puzzling but I am prepared to give him time to get things right and build his team......he has yet to spend a euro on transfers and has been turned down by some very good players(not his fault- location/money reasons)..I for one will be getting behind him and team for the rest of the season and all of next. I will make my judgment on Dolan at the end of next season.

I couldn't agree with you more NOTL and the same goes for Fair Play Boy's post. Ye are both spot on.
People need to give Dolan time and by that I mean more than one or two seasons.... Rome wasn't built in a day and all that!