PDA

View Full Version : Clare League Season 2008/09

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28

Woulfe Park
13/05/2009, 10:04 PM
Congratulations on your title of best team in the league. I see you got the same medals for it as you did each year since you came up to the premier.

Its true Lifford play fine football and are capable of beating anyone on their day but going by your logic Liverpool beat United twice this year so are the best team in the league regardless of whether or not they are able to win the league or not. City beat united twice last year and therefore were the best team in the league last year despite their not having a prayer of winning it for the next donkeys years.

The pettiness being shown by likes of you (and your A team manager by the way) are undermining the great work done by the Lifford club over the last number of years both in facilities and quality of football. All soccer people in Clare recognise and commend this work (which is evidenced by your B team getting to the cup final - no mean feat having that many strong players in your club).

One of the main qualities of a strong club is being able to take not winning trophies on the chin and come back stronger - not bleating to everyone that they were the best team and looking for some sort of acknowledgement. You wouldn't see the likes of Newmarket or Avenue at it. Lifford have the capabiltiy to be the top team in Clare but they aren't there yet and won't be there until they have a couple of titles to their name (not just one - you would be up there with St Pats on that scale - no disrespect intended!). If I were you I would put my head down and work at getting there - not bitch at why you are not there.

Best of luck to both teams in the cup final - on a personal note it would be great to see some of the old Rineanna stalwarts get a well deserved cup medal to crown their Clare soccer careers.

Whoah, horsey! I fear you are showing the characteristics so specific to the typical narrowminded Lifford-bashers, just in a slightly more eloquent way. I never said that a team which beats the eventual champions is the best in the league, that would make absolutely no sense so I entreat you re-read what I did, in fact, say. If that were my line of reasoning wouldn't Avenue be better than Bunratty too, as they beat them earlier in the season...? And in the Cup too, I believe...

I was merely addressing a previous comment on the forum that Bunratty were the best team in the league and disagreeing with it. Also, I was not bitching at all and sincerely regret coming across that way if I did as I am not bitter or anything of the sort regarding Lifford's lack of success this year or every other year. What you said is true, the club does have a bit to go before using their inherent capabilities to effectuate a crown of some sort but the Lifford lads, above all others, know and appreciate that.

I fail to see how I was being being petty simply by illustrating my point that Bunratty were not the best team in the league. However, I can see that you enjoy your petty digs and thus can understand why you would project one of your character faults on me.[/quote]

I wouldn't call myself a narrow minded Lifford-basher and if you had read my post you would see that in my opinion they are probably the most progressive club in the Clare League at the moment. You (and some others) seem to be a bit paranoid that the rest of us don't believe that Lifford are the best team in Clare.

Rabbiting on about how the league champions are not the best team in the league sounds petty to me and judging by the responses of others I'm not alone. I think you'll find that Avenue (and Lifford) won at home and lost away to Bunratty in the league this season. Anything can happen on any given day in a cup game (Lifford A understand that more than most this year) so I'm not sure what the fact that both Lifford and Avenue beat Bunratty at home in different cups adds to your argument.

PS - It is nice to see someone speaking other than in text-speak here but the deliberate eloquence in your reply smacks a bit of insecurity to me.

talisman
13/05/2009, 10:16 PM
1. skinny(nmkt)
2. pa fahy (rovers)
3. eamon o reilly(avenue)
4. derek byrne (rats)
5. steven o carroll(rats)
6. david russell(avenue)
7. michael devitt(rats)
8. seamus farell (rovers)
9. nicky o connell(bridge)
10. shane o connor(rats)
11. terry duggan(rats)

some unlucky to miss out Kelly Moher McEvoy & Byrnes bridge celtic Lynch & Boyle Lifford, Hayes & Lawlor nmkt, Nugent and Flynn avenue.

are you just havn a laugh here??? n o'connell played well in the few games he played on wing/striker but he did not stand out at all wen playin fullback and besides he shagged off hurlin for half the games!! farrell for first half of year was good but hes not makin rovers startin team these so that proves his dip in form for 2nd half of year. david russell wasn't unbelievable this year but he wasn't bad either in fairness. flynn was better. how was lynch frm lifford unlucky to miss out??

talisman
13/05/2009, 10:47 PM
my team wud be...
1 j casey
2 p fahy
3 s carrol
4 hamed
5 d byrne
6 c collins
7 g mcnaboe
8 g flynn
9 t duggan
10 s o'connor
11 r kelly

studsup
13/05/2009, 11:22 PM
Is there anybody on this forum that would like to name players who theyd have in their team of the year? think we would get a bit of an idea who really had a good season for their clubs!

1.Skinny
2.M Devitt, 4.D Byrne, 5.M Donlon, 3.E O'Reilly
7.P Ballogh, 6.G Flynn, 8.D McCarthy, 11.D Smythe
9.M Mahoney, 10.S O'Connor

Couldn't think of anyone else for right-mid and left-back

CousinSylDolan
14/05/2009, 7:43 AM
Whoah, horsey! I fear you are showing the characteristics so specific to the typical narrowminded Lifford-bashers, just in a slightly more eloquent way. I never said that a team which beats the eventual champions is the best in the league, that would make absolutely no sense so I entreat you re-read what I did, in fact, say. If that were my line of reasoning wouldn't Avenue be better than Bunratty too, as they beat them earlier in the season...? And in the Cup too, I believe...

I was merely addressing a previous comment on the forum that Bunratty were the best team in the league and disagreeing with it. Also, I was not bitching at all and sincerely regret coming across that way if I did as I am not bitter or anything of the sort regarding Lifford's lack of success this year or every other year. What you said is true, the club does have a bit to go before using their inherent capabilities to effectuate a crown of some sort but the Lifford lads, above all others, know and appreciate that.

I fail to see how I was being being petty simply by illustrating my point that Bunratty were not the best team in the league. However, I can see that you enjoy your petty digs and thus can understand why you would project one of your character faults on me.

This is truly hilarious. Will you put away the dictionary and go back to your normal ould drool. :p

RenzoRosso
14/05/2009, 8:09 AM
This is truly hilarious. Will you put away the dictionary and go back to your normal ould drool. :p

It's called an education. Congratulations, kiddo! Now you know a new word and I'm confident that if you write it out a few times you'll remember it... You're the best! ;)

RenzoRosso
14/05/2009, 8:24 AM
I wouldn't call myself a narrow minded Lifford-basher and if you had read my post you would see that in my opinion they are probably the most progressive club in the Clare League at the moment. You (and some others) seem to be a bit paranoid that the rest of us don't believe that Lifford are the best team in Clare.

Rabbiting on about how the league champions are not the best team in the league sounds petty to me and judging by the responses of others I'm not alone. I think you'll find that Avenue (and Lifford) won at home and lost away to Bunratty in the league this season. Anything can happen on any given day in a cup game (Lifford A understand that more than most this year) so I'm not sure what the fact that both Lifford and Avenue beat Bunratty at home in different cups adds to your argument.

PS - It is nice to see someone speaking other than in text-speak here but the deliberate eloquence in your reply smacks a bit of insecurity to me.[/QUOTE]

Yes, Woulfe Park, my "deliberate eloquence" is a result of my need to come onto foot.ie to show all the scholars here that I'm a big boy too... Grow up. Eloquence, by its nature, cannot be deliberate, but that's a complicated matter so you wouldn't understand.

I honestly couldn't care less how good you or anyone else thinks Lifford are. I am of your opinion that until the club wins something it doesn't matter how impressive the football Lifford plays is. You are persisting to take my original comments out of context. My comment that Lifford are the best team in the league was a direct response to someone else saying that Bunratty are. Now, as far as I'm concerned, that is pretty simple to grasp, is it not? 'Rabbiting on'? It was one point so stop your exaggeration.

And of course that adds to my argument. You took what I was saying to mean that any team which beat the eventual winners of the league was better than the winners, when I actually said nothing of the sort. Mentioning that Avenue beat them too was to show that saying what you thought I said would have been illogical.

Hopefully your confusion has been softened and you won't continue to misquote and take my comments out of context. That would be great. ;)

CousinSylDolan
14/05/2009, 8:38 AM
It's called an education. Congratulations, kiddo! Now you know a new word and I'm confident that if you write it out a few times you'll remember it... You're the best! ;)

Its so easy get a rise out of ye Lifford lads. Relax man;)

Your right though. I have learned 1 word recently...

Champions

Now can we get back to the football talk as I'm bored of your drool. Are the Rovers 4 hoping to make the kick off Sat. (Not that I imagine ye will be tellin us here)

aliG2daE
14/05/2009, 8:44 AM
my team wud be...
1 j casey
2 p fahy
3 s carrol
4 hamed
5 d byrne
6 c collins
7 g mcnaboe
8 g flynn
9 t duggan
10 s o'connor
11 r kelly

This team is not a bad team of the year however, i would not fully agree with this midfield set-up and with the strike partnership, also one or two names in the defence and the keeper i'm surprised with... i think darren whelan had an excellent season for the rats and find him a serious contender for that position. I think Hamed was very good for lifford, but there are a few more centre halfs that were exceptional this season as well. Dont think steve carrol should be there, although he played well against avenue i think he had more bad games than good this year...i feel that mikey mahoney has in to be in the team of the year also, therfore my team of the year is as follows,

1.darren whelan,
2.pa fahy,
4.derek byrne,
5.gearoid o connell,
6.davy McArthy,
8.Gary Flynn,
11. Ryan Kelly,
9.Shane O Connor,
10.Mikey Mahony.

i am really stuck for a right wing and a left back. i think between peter ballough and D smythe for right mid? anyone care to help?:ball:

Prem Rep!
14/05/2009, 9:52 AM
GK. Barry (Avenue Keeper)
RB. Derek Byrne - Bunratty
LB. Eamonn O'Reilly - Avenue
SW. MJ O'Sullivan - Lifford
CH. Mark Donlon - Newmarket
CM.Gary Flynn - Avenue
CM. Shane Byrnes - Bridge Celtic
LW. Dave McCarthy - Lifford
CF. Shane O Connor - Bunratty
ST. Mike O' Mahony - Avenue
RW. Eoin Hayes - Newmarket

Also worth a mention Gary McNaboe, Peter Ballogh, Ryan Kelly, Mike O' Malley, Jocks Kelly, Seamus Farrell

out red
14/05/2009, 10:08 AM
are you just havn a laugh here??? n o'connell played well in the few games he played on wing/striker but he did not stand out at all wen playin fullback and besides he shagged off hurlin for half the games!! farrell for first half of year was good but hes not makin rovers startin team these so that proves his dip in form for 2nd half of year. david russell wasn't unbelievable this year but he wasn't bad either in fairness. flynn was better. how was lynch frm lifford unlucky to miss out??

every one on here struggled to get a right midfielder so that why i went with o connell as when he was playing he was effective and bridge celtic were challenging the top teams.. no mc carthy in my side because he doesnt do it in big games a bit of a robbie keane in that he goes hiding. no mahony cause he sorced six of his goals in one game against a poor moher. went for russell over flynn because there is no co incidence that avenue good run of late was because russell was playing in all those games. and lynch from lifford because his the only left back ive seen this year to keep eoin hayes quiet over 90 mins. just my opinion, and my team is based on only seeing teams 3 or 4 times a year.

Planners
14/05/2009, 10:34 AM
Now can we get back to the football talk as I'm bored of your drool. Are the Rovers 4 hoping to make the kick off Sat. (Not that I imagine ye will be tellin us here)[/QUOTE]

Looking unlikely that they'll make it - we might delay the match by the allowed 15 mins ;)

aliG2daE
14/05/2009, 10:40 AM
Correct me if i'm wrong but shouldn't the team of the year reflect some what of the team chosen to represent the county?? These teams that are on foot are posted by players and spectators (and the odd manager!) who have played against and seen those players that were on form this season. So far i am not seeing much resemblence with that of the clare team chosen this year...

irish tricky
14/05/2009, 10:44 AM
Best of luck to Rovers on Saturday, would be great for some of the older lads in the squad to win it after our defeat in 99

mastermind1
14/05/2009, 12:40 PM
Correct me if i'm wrong but shouldn't the team of the year reflect some what of the team chosen to represent the county?? These teams that are on foot are posted by players and spectators (and the odd manager!) who have played against and seen those players that were on form this season. So far i am not seeing much resemblence with that of the clare team chosen this year...

I don t think there has to be a resemblence really as the clare team is picked very early on in the season and alot of players are there because of how well they served our county in the past! Its good to see a good healthy debate going about team of the year and here is my 11!

1. darren whelan(rats)
2.mickey sullivan(lifford)
3.derek byrne(rats)
4.seamus lawlor(nmkt)
5.joe lynch(lifford)
6.evan glynn(rats)
7.gary flynn(ave)
8.davy mc carthy(lifford)
9.ryan kelly(rats)
10.shane o connor(rats)
11.mikey mahoney(ave)

rainman
14/05/2009, 4:58 PM
First off Congrats to Bunratty. I thought they were the best team all year. Played nice football when they could and grinded out results when things weren't going their way. Thats what makes champions. Hard luck to Avenue for the way they lost. Its tough to pick my team of the year because I haven't seen every player play regularly enough but here's goes.

G.K Bridge united keeper (Sorry don't know his name)
L.B E. O'Reilly (Avenue)
R.B Stevie Carroll (Rats)
C.B Derek Byrne (Rats)
C.B Steven Kelly (Rinneanna)
R.M Gary Macnobe (Lifford)
L.M Ryan Kelly (Rats)
C.M Con Collins (Rats)
C.M Gary Flynn (Avenue)
C.F Terry Duggan (Rats)
C.F Mike Mahoney (Avenue)

Best of luck to Rinneanna on Saturday.

Ice-man
14/05/2009, 5:36 PM
Congrats to Bunratty, well deserved.

Its tough to name, but here we go:

GK. D. Whelan
CB. S. Lawlor
CB. D. Byrne
CB. G. O'Connell
RM. E. Hayes
CM. D. Russell
CM. D. McCarthy
CM. C. Collins
LM. D. Smyth
CF. S. O'Connor
CF. T. Duggan

Best of luck to Lifford B & the Rovers on Saturday, may the best team win.

mastermind1
14/05/2009, 6:00 PM
Does anybody think j daly should be in team of the year scored most off mohers goals and in my opinion would get on any team in Clare
obviously he d get in your team,would you like to name your 11 hacker? J daly is a good player but theres a few strikers that are better than him in my opinion!

Ice-man
14/05/2009, 9:16 PM
I see Manus B & Manus A will both be in the 3rd Div next year, I didn't think this was aloud ?

b777b
14/05/2009, 10:17 PM
o.k here i go this is my team of the year!!!!

G.K Joe burke (lifford B )
C.B John maher (lifford B)
C.B Marty o regan (lifford B)
C.B Adrain walsh (lifford B)
MID M O Loughlin (lifford B)
MID PA mannion(lifford B)
MID Colin ryan(lifford B)
MID Eoin judge(lifford B)
MID danny fitzpatrick (lifford B)
FRW Stevie mcguine (lifford B)
FRW Adrain mcdonagh (lifford B)

UNlucky to miss out E killeen,f franks,L meaney,M wealan,E ryan,D daily (ALL LIFFORD B)
Some of ye would want to get over it how can u name a team of the year unless you watch every game and since most of us are involved in clubs theres only a hand full of games we get to see besides our own

mastermind1
14/05/2009, 10:24 PM
bit of a dig but i'll let it go..if thats what your like..i did say any team not just my team..which would include your team,ye have good strikers but if ye had someone like johnny daly ye would have won games that ye lost this year..and possibly the league..

obviously there is only 1 striker better than him as he was the 2nd top scorer in division..

as for my team no i wouldn't like to name it,i'll keep it to myself..

Apologies hacker i meant ur 11 for team of the season and not actually ur team! In my opinion he is a good player but 1 that wouldn t get into our side if we were at full strength! And i dont think it was oug goalscorers that let us down this year it was our defending off set pieces! but we ll be prepared for next season ha

talisman
15/05/2009, 12:41 AM
Apologies hacker i meant ur 11 for team of the season and not actually ur team! In my opinion he is a good player but 1 that wouldn t get into our side if we were at full strength! And i dont think it was oug goalscorers that let us down this year it was our defending off set pieces! but we ll be prepared for next season ha

well done mastermind it took ye the hole season to realise yer defendin from set pieces was costing ye games. oh but since ye know thats wat cost ye the league now ye're going to comeback and win it next year ya good man

Prem Rep!
15/05/2009, 8:32 AM

Paul Touhy, solid young keeper improving every season

old git
15/05/2009, 8:34 AM
i pressume if they are both in div 3 they will only be allowed to enter 1 team

manus a have just got relegated to division 3 and manus b are already there .. was there not a rule in clare league stopping teams from getting promoted / relegated if they had a team in same division :confused:

then again if league arrange fixtures to ensure both play each other home & away early in season don't see why they cannot both play in same league :ball: this seems a better option than telling a club to disband one of their teams we want to encourage more clubs to keep getting players / b teams into clare league

out red
15/05/2009, 8:54 AM
Does anybody think j daly should be in team of the year scored most off mohers goals and in my opinion would get on any team in Clare

agree with you hacker, johnny is a class act. i didnt put him in mine as i thought scales was the outstanding striker this year and went with t duggan for pace. we would love to have johnny playing in the village thats for sure. As for master mind saying he would nt get in the lifford side, is that the same team whos centre forward didnt score in fifteen straight games yet still started each week. doesnt say much for there so called dream team

CousinSylDolan
15/05/2009, 9:31 AM
then again if league arrange fixtures to ensure both play each other home & away early in season don't see why they cannot both play in same league :ball: this seems a better option than telling a club to disband one of their teams we want to encourage more clubs to keep getting players / b teams into clare league

I agree. With some specific rules like no transfers allowed between Manus A and B I dont see why they cant compete in the same division.

Fairview B and C were in same div in Limerick a few years back and it caused no problems.

As you say we should be encouraging clubs to enter teams. St Pats had to disband their B team for last season as their A team was relegated.

I hear Ruan are entering a team in the 3rd division for 09'10

Prem Rep!
15/05/2009, 9:43 AM
Hey Mastermind, only saw the lad TJ who plays up front for ye in last game against us in MJ Clare area.
He looks a really good player and a handful for any defence, was he with ye all year??

mastermind1
15/05/2009, 11:37 AM
Hey Mastermind, only saw the lad TJ who plays up front for ye in last game against us in MJ Clare area.
He looks a really good player and a handful for any defence, was he with ye all year??

No he hasnt being playing all season, he only just came back for the last few games but in all honesty he would not be starting for us either if we were at full strength! And for all the lads who think i said we-d win the league next year i never said that, i was only giving my opinion of why i think we lost it this year, and we would be delighted to have johny daly wit us next season aswell, i think outred is stating how good he is as daly scored a hat trick in the village a couple of weeks ago! so is it wrong for me to say we are gonna work on set pieces in pre season then?

mastermind1
15/05/2009, 11:44 AM
o.k here i go this is my team of the year!!!!

G.K Joe burke (lifford B )
C.B John maher (lifford B)
C.B Marty o regan (lifford B)
C.B Adrain walsh (lifford B)
MID M O Loughlin (lifford B)
MID PA mannion(lifford B)
MID Colin ryan(lifford B)
MID Eoin judge(lifford B)
MID danny fitzpatrick (lifford B)
FRW Stevie mcguine (lifford B)
FRW Adrain mcdonagh (lifford B)

UNlucky to miss out E killeen,f franks,L meaney,M wealan,E ryan,D daily (ALL LIFFORD B)
Some of ye would want to get over it how can u name a team of the year unless you watch every game and since most of us are involved in clubs theres only a hand full of games we get to see besides our own

were only looking for an idea of team of the season and obviously its not gonna be spot on! Best of luck tommorow, hope ye can do it

Halo
15/05/2009, 1:50 PM
First off Congrats to Bunratty. I thought they were the best team all year. Played nice football when they could and grinded out results when things weren't going their way. Thats what makes champions. Hard luck to Avenue for the way they lost. Its tough to pick my team of the year because I haven't seen every player play regularly enough but here's goes.

L.B E. O'Reilly (Avenue)
R.B Stevie Carroll (Rats)
C.B Derek Byrne (Rats)
C.B Steven Kelly (Rinneanna)
R.M Gary Macnobe (Lifford)
L.M Ryan Kelly (Rats)
C.M Con Collins (Rats)
C.M Gary Flynn (Avenue)
C.F Terry Duggan (Rats)
C.F Mike Mahoney (Avenue)

Best of luck to Rinneanna on Saturday.

Is this team based on just the Premier? What about Stephen Hickey(Rock Rovers) I believe it was 23 goals in 14 games this season. easily a much better player than Duggan and Mahoney.

Avenue1990
15/05/2009, 1:53 PM
so is it wrong for me to say we are gonna work on set pieces in pre season then?[/quote]

Get rid of that ape in goals and ye might have some hope next season.....

mastermind1
15/05/2009, 3:47 PM
so is it wrong for me to say we are gonna work on set pieces in pre season then?

Get rid of that ape in goals and ye might have some hope next season.....[/quote]

I agree with you avenue1990, i think this was his last year but its yet to be confirmed! HALO... i agree with you there and i think stephen hickey is the best striker in the county wit mikey mahoney and adrian mcdonough(lifford B) running him close!

Halo
15/05/2009, 4:16 PM
Get rid of that ape in goals and ye might have some hope next season.....

I agree with you avenue1990, i think this was his last year but its yet to be confirmed! HALO... i agree with you there and i think stephen hickey is the best striker in the county wit mikey mahoney and adrian mcdonough(lifford B) running him close![/quote]

Only saw Adrian McDonagh play once this season but i was fairly impressed with him, will be interesting to see him in the cup final

mastermind1
15/05/2009, 7:43 PM
Only saw Adrian McDonagh play once this season but i was fairly impressed with him, will be interesting to see him in the cup final[/quote]

Ya looking forward to seeing him play...he is without doubt the real danger man on show in the cup final!

manalishi
15/05/2009, 8:12 PM
1.Skinny
2.M Devitt, 4.D Byrne, 5.M Donlon, 3.E O'Reilly
7.P Ballogh, 6.G Flynn, 8.D McCarthy, 11.D Smythe
9.M Mahoney, 10.S O'Connor

Couldn't think of anyone else for right-mid and left-back

lads its hard to put any newmarket player in the team of the season after the poor one they had but eoin hayes and d cullinan would be there abouts

MikeBassett
15/05/2009, 8:56 PM
Youths Cup Final Result:

Newmarket Celtic 0-1 Avenue United

A very harsh and questionable decision from the linesman to award a free against the Newmarket keeper for apparently having the ball in his hand outside the area when taking a kick-out. David Smyth scored the only goal of the game from the free-kick. That's football I suppose!

The pitch at Digifone looks very nice from a distance but it's very sandy in general and IMO is not up to the quality of McDonough Park and Cassidy Park at present

azceltic
15/05/2009, 9:18 PM
best of luck to rovers in the cup final as a former player i would be delighted if they won the cup. Its the least a club like Rinneanna deserves for all there years in the league.

rainman
15/05/2009, 10:09 PM
Is this team based on just the Premier? What about Stephen Hickey(Rock Rovers) I believe it was 23 goals in 14 games this season easily a much better player than Duggan and Mahoney.
Yes halo I did just base it on the premier beacuse its mainly all iv seen this year. As I said its tough to pick because I haven't seen every player play enough, I just gave my opinion on what I have seen. 23 goals in 14 games is very very impressive, and im sure he is a top player but Mahony and Duggan played in a better division, against better defenders. Neither hit penalties regularly for their club(don't know if Hickey does?)They also played on teams with bigger and better squads and therefore did not always start.I will keep an eye on Hickey next year when I can and see if he can keep up his impressive strike rate and if he does im sure he'l be on most peoples team of the year.

Halo
16/05/2009, 8:37 AM
Yes halo I did just base it on the premier beacuse its mainly all iv seen this year. As I said its tough to pick because I haven't seen every player play enough, I just gave my opinion on what I have seen. 23 goals in 14 games is very very impressive, and im sure he is a top player but Mahony and Duggan played in a better division, against better defenders. Neither hit penalties regularly for their club(don't know if Hickey does?)They also played on teams with bigger and better squads and therefore did not always start.I will keep an eye on Hickey next year when I can and see if he can keep up his impressive strike rate and if he does im sure he'l be on most peoples team of the year.

He doesn't take there penalties, I think one of their full backs does. I know he didn't start or finish all of the games he played as Rock mixed their strikers around a bit. I believe he only failed to score in one game this season that he played and scored 5 goals in the 1st half against a weaken kildysart team before been taken off at half time. Will be interesting to see him next season in the premier, especially if Rock can add a few more quality players to there squad, I believe Daryl Eade is signing next season for them
Not all that gone on O'Mahony as a player I think Johnny Daly is a better player

rainman
16/05/2009, 12:59 PM
He doesn't take there penalties, I think one of their full backs does. I know he didn't start or finish all of the games he played as Rock mixed their strikers around a bit. I believe he only failed to score in one game this season that he played and scored 5 goals in the 1st half against a weaken kildysart team before been taken off at half time. Will be interesting to see him next season in the premier, especially if Rock can add a few more quality players to there squad, I believe Daryl Eade is signing next season for them
Not all that gone on O'Mahony as a player I think Johnny Daly is a better player
From what iv heard(rumours only of course) Rock will be signing a good few quality players from other premier teams and if they do im sure they'll more than hold their own and may even challenage for honours. The like of Daryl Eade would defiently improve them. Best of luck to them next year

chimpster
16/05/2009, 8:28 PM
The pitch at Digifone looks very nice from a distance but it's very sandy in general and IMO is not up to the quality of McDonough Park and Cassidy Park at present

I agree. But the new groundsman's only had a couple of months on it. Hopefully with a summer's rest and a bit more work it should be in good enough nick for next season.

devilfish
16/05/2009, 8:34 PM
Devilfish, starting a conversation with I heard or rumours or someone told me etc is really of no interest to anyone. Let me assure you that everyone at Lifford is very proud to have a Lifford team contesting a Cup final and will be there to support them - including the A team. At the end of the day everyone from the players to the tea makers, from the grass cutters to the kit washers are all under the one banner and in complete support of eash other. It is sad that you have to come on here with the bad word that "you heard" so close to the match day. You must be very unhappy with your lot.

And having learned alot this season on and off the field the boys will be back to play for the prem. May not be all the same boys as this season but that is no ones business but their own and any club would be the same.

I am glad to see the Nanas up for it on saturday too but I will be be wishing Lifford all the best and looking forward to seeing the Cup painted raving red on Saturday night. Good luck lads.:ball:

FOR SALE:

Lots of Red Paint, never opened. Can collect anytime in Ennis. :D:D

Carotheplayer
17/05/2009, 11:43 AM
Well done to all the lads at Rineanna. Good match (considering the wind)

The chap who now looks after the county Grounds should be brought out and knighted. I could not believe the pitch was playable after all the rain that fell yesterday morning. I would have put my house on the game being moved to Cassidy Park or Mc Donagh Park.

Great to see the league are putting money into the Ground. Fair Plate to Jim Madden. Until next Year Gentlemen

Take it easy - and if your getting it easy - - - - Take it Again !

old git
17/05/2009, 1:01 PM
FOR SALE:

Lots of Red Paint, never opened. Can collect anytime in Ennis. :D:D

ouch :D: must be a couple of hundred gallons of red paint now

old git
17/05/2009, 1:02 PM
Well done to all the lads at Rineanna. Good match (considering the wind)

The chap who now looks after the county Grounds should be brought out and knighted. I could not believe the pitch was playable after all the rain that fell yesterday morning. I would have put my house on the game being moved to Cassidy Park or Mc Donagh Park.

Great to see the league are putting money into the Ground. Fair Plate to Jim Madden. Until next Year Gentlemen

Take it easy - and if your getting it easy - - - - Take it Again !

any match report ... did the hurlers make the match :confused:

AWOL
17/05/2009, 1:24 PM
Disappointed+++:( But at least the lads got to play a final. Enjoyable couple of hours in the County Grounds until the final whistle. best of luck to everyone till the new season. Looking forward to it.

And Devilfish! The red paint will hold too. We will get to splash it one day.:DOne day I said:D
Bye for now

mastermind1
17/05/2009, 5:44 PM
Ya dissapointing for the lifford lads alright,they gave a great account of themselves and should be proud of their efforts! congatulations to rinneana, they played some good stuff at times yesterday and probably shaded it! lifford conceded 3 goals from set pieces, lifford bs 1st goal was the goal of the match with adrian mcdonagh turning 2 defenders and slipped eddie killeen in and he lifted the ball over the keeper to equalise! Anyway sure it wasnt to be.......maybe next year lifford will go 1 better

MikeBassett
17/05/2009, 8:57 PM
In fairness to Rineanna they were easily better team yesterday and deserved their win. It must have been a close call between Jocks and Steven Kelly for Man Of The Match.

The 'sore loser' attitude came out in some of Lifford's players yesterday, ie. a Rineanna player was genuinely down injured when they were up 2-1, Lifford had the ball and when one of their players put it out he was given an amount of abuse for not playing on. Then after the final whistle about four Lifford players went to the dressing rooms and had to be coaxed into going back on the pitch for the presentation by their manager. Then to show the club's true colours, just before Rineanna were being handed the cup all of the Lifford squad went to the dressing room bar one player and the manager.

Is it true that the reason Marty O'Regan didn't play because Doora/Barefield were playing the following day in the hurling?

old git
17/05/2009, 9:47 PM
In fairness to Rineanna they were easily better team yesterday and deserved their win. It must have been a close call between Jocks and Steven Kelly for Man Of The Match.

The 'sore loser' attitude came out in some of Lifford's players yesterday, ie. a Rineanna player was genuinely down injured when they were up 2-1, Lifford had the ball and when one of their players put it out he was given an amount of abuse for not playing on. Then after the final whistle about four Lifford players went to the dressing rooms and had to be coaxed into going back on the pitch for the presentation by their manager. Then to show the club's true colours, just before Rineanna were being handed the cup all of the Lifford squad went to the dressing room bar one player and the manager.

Is it true that the reason Marty O'Regan didn't play because Doora/Barefield were playing the following day in the hurling?

seems lifford have lost their copy of code of ethics from clare league .. see example below

The following are codes that we actively support at CDSL:

Management

• Lead by example, on and off field, in both football and moral standards.

• Develop to the best of your ability your skills and footballing knowledge in order to pass this on to your team and players.

• Work in the best interests of the development of players.

• Put the interests of the club first in all matters.

• Work to ensure your team performs to the best of its ability.

• Support positively all activities arranged or promoted by the club.

• Keep the club informed on all matters relating to your team, players,finance, etc.

• Attend all club meetings.

• Be committed to the standards and traditions of CDSL.

• Promote at all times the good image and traditions of your club

• Allow the club promote the public relations functions and express your own personal views to the club first.

• Assist and help other teams (when required) in the interest of the club.

Players

• Play for enjoyment.

• Play by the laws of the game.

• Always accept the referees decision.

• Play with control. Do not loose your temper.

• Play for yourself and your team – your team’s performance will benefit and so will your own.

• Be a "good sport". Applaud all good play whether by your team or the opponent.

• Respect your opponent. Treat all players as you would like to be treated. Do not "bully" or take advantage of any player.

• Co-operate with the coach, team mates and opponents.

• Remember that the goals of the game are to have fun, improve your skills, and feel good.

• At the final whistle applaud and thank your opponents and the referee for the match.

• Always remember that you owe a duty of care to your opponents. Tackle hard but fairly, do not intend to hurt your opponent.

• Win with humility – loose with dignity. :p
----------------------------------------
congrats to rineanna and to lifford don't be bitter in defeat :ball:

CousinSylDolan
18/05/2009, 7:11 AM
Well done to Banana Rovers. Very deserving winners on the day. Funny after all the talk of the hurlers not being there they scored the 3 goals.

Credit also to Lifford B for makiong a decent game of it. They play a very nice brand of football (although seemed to overplay it in the last 10 when they needed the ball at the other end of the field)

I imagine the celebrations are on going.