PDA

View Full Version : Wall-E

tetsujin1979
15/07/2008, 9:50 AM
Saw Wall-E last night as a screening from movies.ie. All I can say is, believe the hype, it's utter, utter genius.

jebus
15/07/2008, 9:57 AM
Saw Wall-E last night as a screening from movies.ie. All I can say is, believe the hype, it's utter, utter genius.

Can't wait to see this alright, I heard it's as good and as ambitious as Toy Story, if it's even half that it will great to be fair

Bluebeard
15/07/2008, 10:08 AM
I'd been incredibly sceptical to be honest. Prior to these two comments, I was avoiding like the plague, especially thanks to the hype. The trailers made me think "Ripping Johnny five, putting him in Silent Runnings and using the music from Brazil - two out of three things I love, the third of which is not entirely uninviting - thieving bathstuds".

In light of you two recommending, I shall re-watch the trailer and hold judgement...

jebus
15/07/2008, 10:14 AM
In light of you two recommending, I shall re-watch the trailer and hold judgement...

You might get a more rounded view of the film industry's produce by actually watching feature length movies though, not just their trailers :)

Bluebeard
15/07/2008, 10:24 AM
You might get a more rounded view of the film industry's produce by actually watching feature length movies though, not just their trailers :)

You crack me up Jebus. Next thing you'll be saying that the blurb on the back doesn't tell me EVERYTHING I need to know about it, and that my entire understanding of Plato's work is misguided...

jebus
15/07/2008, 10:34 AM
You crack me up Jebus. Next thing you'll be saying that the blurb on the back doesn't tell me EVERYTHING I need to know about it, and that my entire understanding of Plato's work is misguided...

It would be a madman that would argue against the point that giving citizens political freedom will eventually lead to a breakdown of society? Didn't Fianna Fail get re-elected last year after all

tetsujin1979
15/07/2008, 10:45 AM
Thanks for the vote of confidence. I'd actually hold off on the trailers, and watch the film "clean". Seriously, all you need to know is Wall-E doesn't speak, apart from beeps, and saying his name. His entire character is based around physical humour, and body language. Think Buster Keaton, or Charlie Chaplin.
There was all types at the screening, kids, businessmen in suits, adults, grandparents, Martin King, I was sitting next to a goth, and at the end, everyone applauded.
I saw it for free, and I'd quite happily pay to see it again.

noby
15/07/2008, 11:24 AM
I was sitting next to a goth, and at the end, everyone applauded.

"Well done for sitting next to a goth for ninety minutes"

If you sat next to Martin King, you'd probably have been given a Nobel prize.

John83
15/07/2008, 4:46 PM
"Well done for sitting next to a goth for ninety minutes"

If you sat next to Martin King, you'd probably have been given a Nobel prize.
If I had sat beside Martin King for ninety minutes, I would have given him a Nobel prize. No, wait, that other thing Nobel is remembered for.

max power
19/07/2008, 5:57 PM

well said, just give them the animation Oscar now. Also talk of it being up for best movie as well. IT IS THAT GOOD !!

shakermaker1982
24/07/2008, 6:54 AM
went to see it last night and it wasn't what I was expecting.........I think the kids/toddlers in the cinema were a little confused as well.

lionelhutz
24/07/2008, 9:12 AM
went to see it last night and it wasn't what I was expecting.........I think the kids/toddlers in the cinema were a little confused as well.

What were you expecting and in what way did it differ from your expectations??

shakermaker1982
24/07/2008, 10:15 AM
What were you expecting and in what way did it differ from your expectations??

I was expecting a lot more stuff for the kids e.g. Wall-e clowning around, making a fool of himself and getting a few cheap laughs. Instead it had a serious message about mankind and the future of planet earth. I wouldn't describe it as a kids film as such. Brave move by Pixar. The animation was exceptional - I thought I was watching a 'live' movie.

The kids that were sitting near me were stunned. I really thought they were expecting it to be Nickelodean for 90 minutes but on a massive screen with better animation.....:D

John83
24/07/2008, 12:29 PM
The kids that were sitting near me were stunned. I really thought they were expecting it to be Nickelodean for 90 minutes but on a massive screen with better animation.....:D
Stunned into silence, or stunned in such a way as to recommend avoiding matinee showings?

thischarmingman
24/07/2008, 10:43 PM

I'd like to believe you all, I really would, but after the thread praising Mamma Mia, I've resolved to take forum advice with a pinch of salt from now on...:p

Bluebeard
28/07/2008, 10:04 AM
Saw it myself at the weekend. I did enjoy it, though I don't think it is quite as good as the hype makes it out to be.

Must remember in future not to wear my dirty brown mac to matinée performances. Or to buy lots of sweets at the counter either...

John83
28/07/2008, 10:30 AM
I saw it last night. Missed the traditional Pixar short unfortunately. WALL-E is a charming little film.