PDA

View Full Version : Mns 14/07/08

Larry 'da' Wyse
15/07/2008, 8:37 AM
Nearly cracked up laughin' at Rico's comments about the chances Bohs have of getting Heary's red card recinded

"I've dealt with UEFA/FIFA and 60 Old IRA Men and a 'battle (?)' of lawyers would not get the red card overturned" Brilliant.

Enjoyed the 'Raiders' section from '64 Shels v. OB

Duggie
15/07/2008, 8:56 AM
Nearly cracked up laughin' at Rico's comments about the chances Bohs have of getting Heary's red card recinded

"I've dealt with UEFA/FIFA and 60 Old IRA Men and a 'battle (?)' of lawyers would not get the red card overturned" Brilliant.

Enjoyed the 'Raiders' section from '64 Shels v. OB

see the crowds back then....huge
good show, sadlier is good, disapointed by hand. thought he would have been better. looked like he wasnt interested which is surprising.

SalvadorSanchez
15/07/2008, 9:38 AM
What did you guys make of Ricos comment that we need to do well in Europe to get the league progressing.
IMO it's an nice idea but do you agree that we need to sort out finance, administration and basically not running our clubs into the ground first and Europe comes later...
look at Shels, playing Deportivo la Coruna in Landsdowne rd. a few years ago, now playing in Ferrycarrig park and Century Homes park (no disrespect to W.Y./Mons)
I think that the League needs to sit down with the clubs and discuss sliding scale salary caps right down to individual players.. i.e. you can have 2 players without salary cap, 3 players on €1k - €2k a week 5 players on €1k/week and the rest on say €800/week, it would calm the payers expectations down and merit would then kick in as clubs would sign players according to how they value them..
also what's the income tax situation? if Bono and the boys are tax exempt up to 250k why not sportspeople, they are at least as legitimate a cultural asset as poxy singers? Mundy will hire a hit man for me saying this I assume....

CJTheGull
15/07/2008, 10:54 AM
Thought Richardson was dead right when he critised Bohs / Fenlon for dismissing their European exit by saying "We've still got the League to think about". Rico was right - European competitions is where league clubs can show how much they have progressed in recent years - going out of the Intertoto 2nd Round to a team from Estonia is not something just to be shrugged off lightly.

Bohs are a very good team and should have gone through.

chipsahoy
15/07/2008, 11:27 AM
What did you guys make of Ricos comment that we need to do well in Europe to get the league progressing.
IMO it's an nice idea but do you agree that we need to sort out finance, administration and basically not running our clubs into the ground first and Europe comes later...
look at Shels, playing Deportivo la Coruna in Landsdowne rd. a few years ago, now playing in Ferrycarrig park and Century Homes park (no disrespect to W.Y./Mons)
I think that the League needs to sit down with the clubs and discuss sliding scale salary caps right down to individual players.. i.e. you can have 2 players without salary cap, 3 players on €1k - €2k a week 5 players on €1k/week and the rest on say €800/week, it would calm the payers expectations down and merit would then kick in as clubs would sign players according to how they value them..
also what's the income tax situation? if Bono and the boys are tax exempt up to 250k why not sportspeople, they are at least as legitimate a cultural asset as poxy singers? Mundy will hire a hit man for me saying this I assume....

why would the government help eloi? maybe if gaa started paying wages theyd introduce something like that but not for eloi

Seagull-4-life
15/07/2008, 1:38 PM
McAllion is a size 6?

SalvadorSanchez
15/07/2008, 1:50 PM
For the record... I thought Bohs were unlucky in both legs and should have beaten Riga by 2 goals over the 2 legs, and Fenlons comments were meant to support his players who must have been disappointed with the results and their inability to turnover a poor enough team.

What I'm saying about the tax exemption is; The government introduced the artists exemption that allows artists etc. to earn €250k a year tax free, previously it had no limit and we had "artists" the world over coming here giving it all the b*llocks "because I love Ireland etc."

If we are tax exempting artists then why not sports people? they have short careers (10 years?), they contribute to the cultural and social fabric of the country and their careers take remarkable dedication and sacrifice (training/fitness/loss of family time etc.)
If the league got it's house in order then it could make a case to tax exempt players thus reducing the cost of wages to clubs while leaving players earning decent wages... if our clubs are in financial chaos then the govt, won't listen, if we sort out wages and financial planning then we can get support to help the league manage financially, the govt, won't come onboard if they think that it's just an excuse to jack up wages while still leaving clubs strugling by then we'll be told where to go....and rightly so!

If they are paying grants to the GAA, then tax exempting LOI players would probably cost less and help the game more as the league is poorer than the GAA and doesn't have the big crowds and is not really centrally organised.

Yes Europe is important but we've no chance of making any progress that will excite Johnny Premier League until we are in a position to plan youth/club/league development over 5-10 years as the Norwegians did, they didn't set the world on fire but have made champions league proper a few years and get more decent crowds than us etc.

passinginterest
15/07/2008, 3:13 PM
why would the government help eloi? maybe if gaa started paying wages theyd introduce something like that but not for eloi

As far as I'm aware there is already a tax incentive for professional sports people in Ireland, that after 10 years of living and working here they are entitled to a refund of 50% of tax payed. This would amount to a fairly tidy sum for the middle to higher lever league of Ireland players.

SalvadorSanchez
15/07/2008, 3:30 PM
As far as I'm aware there is already a tax incentive for professional sports people in Ireland, that after 10 years of living and working here they are entitled to a refund of 50% of tax payed. This would amount to a fairly tidy sum for the middle to higher lever league of Ireland players.

Not a bad start I suppose, but doesn't go far enough if you ask me, if Glen Hansard can get up to €250k tax free for his whiney music why not LOI players? It shouldn't be impossible for Players to deal with revenue and to get Tax clearance certs etc. surely, it would help the game a lot, should apply to foriegn lads as well as they are contributing to the league, if we can tax exempt Joe "hooked on hairspay"Elliot why not overseas players... after all it's not like it would be a huge loss to the exchequer and it's only probably 400 individuals in the entire country....

monzo
15/07/2008, 5:50 PM
Has anyone else noticed that there's one guy whose reports are absolutely appalling (think he covered the Derry match yesterday)?

WoodquayBoy
15/07/2008, 5:53 PM
Has anyone else noticed that there's one guy whose reports are absolutely appalling (think he covered the Derry match yesterday)?
Gavin Jennings? Not sure if he did the Derry game, but he is absolutely shocking. Should stick to the news presenting.

Sheridan
15/07/2008, 6:19 PM
Yeah, I've mentioned him before. Awful eejit. Watched one too many chummy-chummy sneery-snidey pseudo-clever Match of the Day reports I think.

Thought it was a good show this week. Excellent team of panellists, all with real opinions and insight.

deecay
15/07/2008, 6:30 PM
McAllion is a size 6?
Thats crazy,new fella doesnt have a clue