PDA

View Full Version : Transfer window signings

DmanDmythDledge
14/07/2008, 1:00 PM
Not much in terms of first team players but we have signed a number of younger players for the reserves/U20, with many of them having played for Ireland at underage level.

Shane McFaul (Brighton)
John O'Neill (Wayside Celtic)
Enda Stevens (Cherry Orchard)
Gareth Matthews (Norwich City)
Shane Duggan (Plymouth Argyle)
Dean Marshall (Coventry City)
Michael Leahy (Home Farm)

O'Neill we all know about, just played for the first team.

Stevens is LB, started for Ireland U18s a few months ago.

Matthews is RB, has been Ireland's regular RB at underage level for the past few seasons. More on him here (http://www.ex-canaries.co.uk/players/matthews-gareth.htm).

Duggan is an attacking CM, scored 7 goals in 19 games for Plymouth's youth team last year. Plymouth's youth team got to the QF of the FA Youth Cup and were defeated by eventual champions Man City 4-1.
Something interesting about Duggan here (http://www.footballfactors.com/e-Newsletter/march08.htm) (second article).

Marshall is a winger who can play on either flank and despite having the most appearances for Coventry's youth side last season was released. Coventry profile (http://www.ccfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Academy/0,,10269~1030330,00.html). Has also played many times for Ireland at underage level. Was linked with Bohs (http://www.herald.ie/sport/soccer/irish/time-to-move-on-1425426.html) before joining us.

Don't know anything about Leahy.

pineapple stu
14/07/2008, 1:10 PM
Dear God, give us a forward!!!!!!

Though having said that, I like the looks of O'Neill. Big strong outlet we've been missing up front since Sammon moved on. In fact, I think he's the potential to be as good as Sammon very soon. Liked the way he muscled past the Rovers defender on the by-line to get a cross in on Friday, for example.

John83
14/07/2008, 1:20 PM
Yeah, I like the look of O'Neill so far. Besides, he's already ****ed off the Rovers fans - short of a goal, you can't ask for more! ;)

All of these guys sound useful, so it'll be nice to get a look at them tonight.

Student Mullet
14/07/2008, 1:48 PM
It's a sad day when we're hoping that a player will turn out to be as good as Sammon.

pineapple stu
14/07/2008, 1:58 PM
Impressive if he can manage it after ten games for the first team though. ;)

For the record, Sammon (in my opinion) was ridiculously overrated by other fans in the league and by whoever has the Derry City chequebook, was frequently frustrating but wasn't a bad player. We've had plenty worse.

HarpoJoyce
15/07/2008, 7:40 AM
A list of U17 Rep. of Ireland line-ups 2006 through to 2007. Featuring Gareth Mathews and Dean Marshall in a few of them.

#http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2328

DmanDmythDledge
15/07/2008, 3:01 PM
Some of those lads are actually only on trial.

pineapple stu
15/07/2008, 3:37 PM
First three have signed, last four are on trial I think.

DmanDmythDledge
15/07/2008, 6:29 PM
First three have signed, last four are on trial I think.
Matthews has signed.

Angus
15/07/2008, 8:46 PM
The lad duggan looks top drawer and o'neill looks heads above our current crop of forwards - both straight in the lineup

Duggan is number 1 in midfield with options to have mcfaul, finn, king, allie support him in centre depending on the oppo and the need for allie to drop back to centre half

DmanDmythDledge
27/07/2008, 10:30 PM
Anthony Doyle has left the club.

John83
28/07/2008, 11:06 AM
Oh. He looked useful enough - someone I'd definitely expect to see more of if we were to go down.

DmanDmythDledge
28/07/2008, 1:44 PM
Oh. He looked useful enough - someone I'd definitely expect to see more of if we were to go down.
Didn't feature in Pete's plans.

You'll be more shocked by who else could be leaving. Don't want to post it as it could be bollóx though...

John83
28/07/2008, 1:52 PM
Didn't feature in Pete's plans.

You'll be more shocked by who else could be leaving. Don't want to post it as it could be bollóx though...
Well, PM it so.

Conroy
29/07/2008, 9:32 AM
Any info on Derek Doyle lads?

DmanDmythDledge
29/07/2008, 10:56 AM
Any info on Derek Doyle lads?
22 yo winger. Not up to Premier Division standard. Poor winger- no pace, can't beat the full back (doesn't even try). Decent set piece delivery and good in the air. Finishing is OK too.

John83
29/07/2008, 11:10 AM
He was one of our top scorers last year with about 6. I think Dmanetc is being a little harsh.

Conroy
29/07/2008, 12:19 PM
Maybe Dman knows something??

Would have thought he would have been a striker, Do he play up top? I know Gill was at your last home game, Did Doyle start?

pineapple stu
29/07/2008, 12:59 PM
He was one of our top scorers last year with about 6. I think Dmanetc is being a little harsh.
Eight, I think, despite a leg break in September ending his season. "Harsh" is par for the course for dmanetc.

Completely off topic, but Montenegrin keyboards have a European lay out, but the keys are actually the same as home, despite what the button says. Really annoying!

DmanDmythDledge
29/07/2008, 1:17 PM
Would have thought he would have been a striker, Do he play up top? I know Gill was at your last home game, Did Doyle start?
He doesn't play up top but I think he has the attributes to play there. Whether he could adjust to it at the age of 22 is a different matter though.

He did. Played the 90 minutes.

"Harsh" is par for the course for dmanetc.
lol, sure it is... especially considering everyone thinks he's more or less useless.

Why don't you analyse his goals last season the same way you did with Sammo's last season?

pineapple stu
29/07/2008, 1:21 PM
I will when I get back if you want. But for a winger, goals are less of a marker.

Only Poor Student agrees he's useless, by the way. Your bitterness, etc, etc, etc.

Dessie Baker available from Rovers...

DmanDmythDledge
29/07/2008, 1:26 PM
But for a winger, goals are less of a marker.

Only Poor Student agrees he's useless, by the way. Your bitterness, etc, etc, etc..
Exactly, he can do nothing else (that a winger should do).

Only PS? Looks like you're in denial...

:confused: Bitter? :D

Schumi
29/07/2008, 1:45 PM
Dessie Baker available from Rovers...
He worked out well the last time...

Doyle is a decent player but his wing play isn't great. I'd rather see him in the middle myself. Was it him that scored in Richmond in the League Cup last year?

DmanDmythDledge
29/07/2008, 1:58 PM
Doyle is a decent player but his wing play isn't great. I'd rather see him in the middle myself. Was it him that scored in Richmond in the League Cup last year?
In the league, but I presume that was the goal you were thinking of. Nice finish.

Schumi
29/07/2008, 2:31 PM
In the league, but I presume that was the goal you were thinking of. Nice finish.I think it was in the league actually, yeah. Was the league cup goal an early penalty?

DmanDmythDledge
29/07/2008, 4:10 PM
Was the league cup goal an early penalty?
Yeah, Sammo scored that.

Doyle transfer now official- on the Dundalk website.

Schumi
29/07/2008, 4:24 PM
Yeah, Sammo scored that.That explains my confusion, I was late and missed that.

Doyle transfer now official- on the Dundalk website.It might be blind optimism but is there any chance that these departures are to free up money to pay someone new?

Poor Student
29/07/2008, 5:03 PM
It might be blind optimism but is there any chance that these departures are to free up money to pay someone new?

Or, are we in some sort of a cash flow/budget crisis? I'd like to think that's very unlikely but it seems odd to be shifting players who played a significant part (in terms of minutes played) in our last few games. I prefer Schumi's theory that we're just making way for new signings though.

As Pineapple pointed out earlier, I don't really rate Doyle but I appreciate the effort he put into playing for us and admire the way he worked his way back in following his leg break. He also had an uncanny knack of grabbing goals despite not playing too well and playing on the wing. Hopefully he will do well and Dundalk and I hope he'll continue to develop.

HarpoJoyce
29/07/2008, 6:00 PM
Dessie Baker may be going in the same direction as Stephen Rice. At least when may have to match their money.

Em....isn't their an overdue post from pineapple stu regarding UCD AFC and the phrases 'tits up', 'meltdown' and 'screwed' after the release of some footballers during the transfer window. How very inconsistent from the supporter's representative.

pineapple stu
29/07/2008, 6:10 PM
Em....isn't their an overdue post from pineapple stu regarding UCD AFC and the phrases 'tits up', 'meltdown' and 'screwed' after the release of some footballers during the transfer window. How very inconsistent from the supporter's representative.
No. Why, should there be? We've lost players before; Mahon's almost always shown he can replace them, and there is an argument to be made that Doyle's not been as effective this year as last (or even that Dundalk offered more money). No biggie.

Who's to go in at left wing then? Can't even remember who started the season there for us...!

Poor Student
29/07/2008, 6:18 PM
Who's to go in at left wing then? Can't even remember who started the season there for us...!

Podge. Think Bermo played there in a friendly too?

pineapple stu
29/07/2008, 6:21 PM
Hmmm...

Who played left wing against Dundee United? Was it one of those trailists?

HarpoJoyce
29/07/2008, 6:22 PM
No. Why, should there be? We've lost players before; Mahon's almost always shown he can replace them, and there is an argument to be made that Doyle's not been as effective this year as last (or even that Dundalk offered more money). No biggie.

John 'Rocco' Reilly (née Ryan?) is available.

And for me, Derek Doyle is a big loss. Is he another player where there is pretend shock amongst some UCD fans 'cos he scores in a UEFA-sponsored game....again?

pineapple stu
29/07/2008, 6:25 PM
I agree Doyle is a big loss.

I've no idea what the last bit of your post means.

John83
29/07/2008, 6:37 PM
I agree Doyle is a big loss.
Neither of our right sided wingers has looked comfortable there, and while I don't think Podge is any worse than him on the left, he's needed up front. It's definitely a blow in terms of squad depth.

HarpoJoyce
01/08/2008, 11:38 PM
Darren Forsyth scored on his Shelbourne debut, two second half goals against Athlone Town in a 3-3 all draw.

Fair play to Darren, he has shown he can score at every level he has played at. I'm delighted for him. For me, we are the last club to be sending away available forwards.

If we are so tight that we have a budget for forward players and need to release some forwards to allow others in, then we need to increase that budget because we are not matching the market price.

pineapple stu
02/08/2008, 11:37 AM
Fair play to Darren, he has shown he can score at every level he has played at.
Well, no, he hasn't...

DmanDmythDledge
25/08/2008, 7:01 PM
Two strikers coming in on loan Wednesday.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/eircom-league/derry-stalwart-hutton-faces-double-dilemma-1462403.html

Mahon gets Student firepower

PETE Mahon's desperate search for a striker will finally come to an end this week when UCD sign two English front men from Wigan and Nottingham Forest.

Mahon confirmed the two transfers, expected to be loan deals, will go ahead this week barring any late hitches but was not drawn into naming the players who will arrive on Wednesday.

Schumi
26/08/2008, 9:11 AM
Are loans not covered by the transfer window? :confused:

pineapple stu
28/08/2008, 12:38 PM
Nothing happened. Full squad for tomorrow; no additions. Think there may have been some lads on trial or something.

HarpoJoyce
28/08/2008, 3:56 PM
Nothing happened. Full squad for tomorrow; no additions. Think there may have been some lads on trial or something.

Watch This Space!*

*(if you're watching this space then you're not getting into any trouble elsewhere)