PDA

View Full Version : Dundee United match

cityman
13/07/2008, 9:55 PM
Looking forward to the match in the Bowl tomorrow. At the moment I'm not sure if many United fans are travelling over yet. Hope its a great game and a decent crowd.

DmanDmythDledge
13/07/2008, 9:56 PM
AFAIK it will be our reserve team that will play. I think that's the reason the date of their game against Limerick was brought forward a day.

cityman
13/07/2008, 10:03 PM
I think that United will have all their new signings there. Any idea why UCD have not publicised the match? I read that the friendly against Millwall is off for financial reasons!! Can't see UCD making a lot of money from tomorows match!

DmanDmythDledge
13/07/2008, 10:10 PM
Any idea why UCD have not publicised the match?
No idea. Our friendly last year against Stockport wasn't either.

cityman
13/07/2008, 10:15 PM
Shame, just word of mouth again!! All it would take is a minute on the keyboard. Anyway I hope that some fans turn up. Some of my friends are goin to miss this one but wil be at Tolka Rovers on Wednesday.

pineapple stu
14/07/2008, 11:49 AM
AFAIK it will be our reserve team that will play. I think that's the reason the date of their game against Limerick was brought forward a day.
Nope, it'll be a "mixture" tonight, which I imagine will be similar to Stockport last year with about 20 players used between first teamers and fringer players. Basically an elaborate training session for us.

Don't know why the Limerick game was changed (or if it was just that I was given wrong info), but we always try to get A League/U-21 games played on Saturday morning as it frees up the weekend for everyone.

soccerc
14/07/2008, 12:18 PM
Photos from Dundee United training this morning. (http://www.flickr.com/photos/soccerc/sets/72157606157471870/)

All recent signings were involved

DmanDmythDledge
14/07/2008, 12:27 PM
http://www.eleven-a-side.com/ucd/news.asp?n=33152

Students take on the Terrors

Scottish Premier Division side Dundee United take on UCD at the Belfield Bowl this evening as Pete Mahon uses the friendly to run the rule over a number of fringe players.

The students are currently languishing near the bottom of the eircom Premier Division and need to get a run of form going before too long or otherwise face the possibility of First Division football next season.

Mahon is set to run the rule over winger Dean Marshall, midfielder Shane Duggan, defenders Enda Stevens and Gareth Matthews, who signed from Norwich City last week.

“They will all be involved at some stage of the game,” said Mahon. “It will be good to see them play in Ireland and for us it will be a nice break from the turmoil of the league.”

pineapple stu
14/07/2008, 1:13 PM
Photos from Dundee United training this morning. (http://www.flickr.com/photos/soccerc/sets/72157606157471870/)

All recent signings were involved
Including the Spanish fella? Their website said he was linking up in Scotland this week, so I assumed he wouldn't be around for this one.

Where's the training? Is that the AUL? Don't remember a concrete wall in the Bowl; hoping it's not there!

drummerboy
14/07/2008, 2:31 PM
I think its St Francis's Pitch in Baldonnel.

londonhoop
14/07/2008, 3:12 PM
How much is it into the game tonight?

DmanDmythDledge
14/07/2008, 3:37 PM
How much is it into the game tonight?
Normal price I'd say (€15). Certainly won't be more anyway.

Any idea why UCD have not publicised the match?
I got a text from the club about the game today so at least anyone who normally goes to games will know about it.

John83
14/07/2008, 3:55 PM
Normal price I'd say (€15). Certainly won't be more anyway.
I'm pretty sure it's the normal prices. That's how it worked for the Stockport game last year.

John83
14/07/2008, 9:16 PM
2-1 win for UCD. Decent enough game, with a few new players showing what they can do. A number of us were impressed by that number 6.

soccerc
14/07/2008, 9:20 PM
2-1 win for UCD. Decent enough game, with a few new players showing what they can do. A number of us were impressed by that number 6.

That number 6 is Willo

John83
14/07/2008, 9:23 PM
That number 6 is Willo
Not for UCD it wasn't.

soccerc
14/07/2008, 9:32 PM
Not for UCD it wasn't.

I had guessed that. You mean Shane Duggan :cool:

John83
14/07/2008, 10:01 PM
Yeah, figured as much from the transfers thread. He could be worth a few goals for us, good close control, nice range of passing, strong and constantly looking to get on the ball. Great first game anyway.

cityman
14/07/2008, 10:26 PM
Good win for UCD, well done lads. United had a very strong team out,(I should know). 1st half was all United and fair play to UCD they came out a different team for the 2nd. Great goal I thought by Noel Hunt-a header at the near post from a corner(think I have a pic of it)
Penalty for the students for a handball(harsh!).2nd goal from a free-kick which United were asleep for.
Probably the most colourful fans to have been in the 'Bowl' so far!? Anyone guess the attendance? 250ish?

pineapple stu
14/07/2008, 11:11 PM
Friendly or not, that was a damn decent win!

Good showing from the United crowd; 150 or so for a frienly and full colour - really showed up some of the "ultras" LoI clubs bring. Had the crowd down as 300-400 or so, so roughly agree with you cityman.

Duggan was exceptional, Kenna, Mahon and Finn were all missing, our peno was indeed harsh I thought, but overall I thought we created more of the chances (which is rare for us!) - if only we could do that in a league game!!!!!

Bald Student
14/07/2008, 11:29 PM
Yeah, figured as much from the transfers thread. He could be worth a few goals for us, good close control, nice range of passing, strong and constantly looking to get on the ball. Great first game anyway.
In some ways he reminded me of Gary Dicker (http://www.stigonline.com/misc/tanorexia.htm).

pineapple stu
14/07/2008, 11:41 PM
Match report from the Herald (http://www.theherald.co.uk/sport/football/display.var.2395404.0.Fitness_levels_tell_as_Dunde e_United_lose_out_to_UCD.php).

Massop 10
15/07/2008, 9:59 AM
Was at the game last night and thought UCD played some great football agaist a decent SPL team. That #6 for ye looks realy good. I wouldn't worry to much ye showed ye can play and this should give ye confidance so should be OK and stay up at the end of the season. Just a word about the shed boys (United fans) I thought they were great and a lot of Irish "Ultras" could learn from them.

cityman
15/07/2008, 12:14 PM
I hope that UCD can improve now in the league. This win , friendly or not, will certainly give them a big boost. As for the 'Shed Boys', you should hear them at Tannadice.
Thanks for the praise Pineapple Stu-its not very often we get some, especially over here.

DmanDmythDledge
15/07/2008, 3:17 PM
What subs did we make during the game?

Schumi
15/07/2008, 3:24 PM
What subs did we make during the game?There were a good few. Off the top of my head: Harding for one of the new guys, McMillan for McNally, Derek Doyle for Fitzgerald, King for McFaul, Marshall for Reilly I think, someone for Byrne. There may have been one or two more.

HarpoJoyce
15/07/2008, 3:28 PM
What subs did we make during the game?

We made approximately nine substitutions so if you want player on for player off plus time, this is quite a Trivia question.

Defo: Derek Doyle for Shane Fitzgerald, maybe 75 minutes

Evan McMillan
Brian King
Sean Harding
Enda Kelly
Pat McWalter all came on in the second half, I don't know if we had any half-time subs or if they came on during play.

DmanDmythDledge
15/07/2008, 3:32 PM
Time is not important. I'll go with what you guys have given. Cheers.

pineapple stu
15/07/2008, 3:34 PM
Enda Stevens came on as well.

On the teamsheet, we had nine subs, though I can't remember who now. Billy was one but didn't come on. I think pretty much everyone else got a run.

Forsyth came on for Byrne at half time.

Schumi
15/07/2008, 3:36 PM
Found a full list: Greg, Matthews (Harding 46), Bermingham (Stephens 60), Shortall, McNally (McMillan 63), Duggen, Fitzgerald (Doyle 79), McFaul (King 51), Byrne (Marshall 46), O’Neill (McWalter 76), Reilly. Subs not used—Brennan, Forsyth. http://www.thecourier.co.uk/output/2008/07/15/sportstory11654338t0.asp

I seem to remember Forsyth coming on but being announced as someone else so I'm not sure of that list but it's pretty close.

Edit: Forsyth may have come on for Reilly, I think he went off.

pineapple stu
15/07/2008, 3:38 PM
Marshall came on for Reilly on 76; Forsyth was called out as Marshall when he came on at half time.

John83
15/07/2008, 4:29 PM
Forsyth was called out as Marshall when he came on at half time.
I think this is correct.

@Bald Student: He has indeed that glow about him.