PDA

View Full Version : The challengers

wws
31/08/2003, 12:34 PM
now that we're top of the league what of our main challengers?

Shels - Prime candidates for 'post europe syndrome' that afflicted Shamrock Rovers, a miserable run of results following their limp wristed euro exit shels also have dressing room bust ups to contend with as Fenlon has verbally lashed Rogers and Ger McCarthy following inept displays against Sligo and Olimipia. The signing of second string pats player Jamie Harris and inability to tempt clive delaney to tolka when in clear need of a decent defender to replace rogers points to a cash problem at tolka probably due to high wages and low gates. Points on the board is better than games in hand as Shamrocks have proven so their fixture backlog will hardly be a bonus if fenlon is under pressure to get results. They are there for the taking and their rivals know it, morale is on the floor and if the sligo yellow card appeal drags out like the registration saga against their managers wishes than club and players will be at loggerheads once again. Favourites tag will wear thin. Prediction: Immediate collapse but capabale of recovery at some stage.

Bohs: early season miserable run means bohs have all the work to do. As with shels points on the board are always safer than games in hand and a fixture backlog. They can play all the football they like but lack of firepower up front will damage their chances as Crowe is not half the player he was last season and their small professional squad has no real strength in depth. Prediction: a real danger with a quality side but have they left it too late and was the pats win in dalymount a fatal blow to their belated challenge?

Waterford: Unknown package, spirited performances so far but can they make that count for an entire season? Unconvinced but still a tough nut to crack.

Longford: good footballing side, a top striker away from being a title challenger

Cork and Shamrock rovers are capable of knicking points to disrupt the main contenders but are not genuine contenders. Cork cause they have to sign players to be in with a real chance and shamrocks cause of financial and post europe defeats both will be happy with holding their own. Shamrocks are capable of doing us a favour or two in derbies where form counts for nothing.

They all have problems in my opinion so we've as good a chance as any of them. If Birdy keeps scoring and new boy McPhee doubles up like he did v Cork on friday we will be the team to beat no question.

Game on. The real title race starts here!

kdjaC
31/08/2003, 1:51 PM
The 3 Dublin clubs all having 3 games in hand is a worrying prospect ,granted they havent won them but i still worried that 3 teams can catch us, hopefully with Bohs and Rovers playing each other tomorrow a nice draw woudl suffice and rule them out of overtaking us with their games in hand.

It would have to be Shels as main challengers they away to Waterford so could lose 2-0 or win 7-0 depends on Waterfords mood.

//login finally worked :) lo me

kdjac

tonybirdfanclub
01/09/2003, 12:28 PM
there are three derbies in the backlog, all of shels bohs and rovers to play each other, maximun of three points each ? Fair to assume as none of them will beat both of the other two.

regarding the thread relating to Pats inability to compete with the others, HA!

Bohs are crippled by a huge wage bill and need to guarantee champions league football at this rate every season

Shels are incapable of domination as they have not got a third of the other clubs attendences

Rovers will be big in Tallaght, no doubt about it, but until then they are in no shape to compete

Cork have not got a big enough squad and lack tactical guidance and the ability to sign better players

We have faults of our own but we are improving both on and off the field and anyone who doubts that is foolish

wws
01/09/2003, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by kdjaC
The 3 Dublin clubs all having 3 games in hand is a worrying prospect ,granted they havent won them but i still worried that 3 teams can catch us,

most of the dreaded games in hand are against each other so any way you look at it thery're going to damage one or others chances of challenging seriously. I'd prefer Shels to be still in the frame as they are definitely the squad with the least resolve for a run in

Gary
01/09/2003, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by tonybirdfanclub

Cork have not got a big enough squad and lack tactical guidance and the ability to sign better players

On the first point, yes you have a point, we have a small squad, too small to challenge for the league.

As for the lack of tactical guidance???? Gwanawayyalagner

The league is still between Shels and Bohs. Pats arent good enough (and im not stirring there), and the rest are probabaly in a worse situation.

Top 4
1.Shels
2. Bohs
3. City
4. Pats

10. Shams (well we can hope cant we????)

wws
01/09/2003, 1:20 PM
i think your missing the point: recent events at shelbourne have revealed fundamental problems that arent going to be dreamed away (i personally doubt ollie will persist with fenlon - he's cost them a fortune already - and money is all to ollie)
make no mistake they have shot their load

bohs proved v us that they are still a mess and no one in the modern era has ever won two in a row - only pats - and we did it with two different managers

Schumi
01/09/2003, 3:03 PM
Originally posted by wws
Shels - a cash problem at tolka probably due to high wages and low gates. But they've had those problems for years, why would it affect them more now?

Dodge
01/09/2003, 3:18 PM
Dunno how true it is but when you look at some of the signings Fenlon has made, its either lack of money or very poor judgement. (McCarthy, Harris and Morgan are all decent premier players but not players you sign to push on for championship)

Have said numerous times we're far from being the complete team and even with the 2 new signings I still think we're short. However, there is no dominant team in this league

pete
02/09/2003, 11:28 AM
The league is only halfway through so a lot to play for yet. Every team will have a good patch so league winner will probably the team that can string the most wins together in that run.

Shel$ - still got best squad & i don't think small crowds have ever held the club back.

Bohs - will not be a force until Crowe can start scoring again. Small crowds will only increase the pressure on Kenny as the season progresses.

Pats - Great home record has got them where they are. Significant that first league wins away have been to Bohs & City in last couple of weeks. Cannot hope to win games away from home with backs to the wall performances every week.

City - Dependent on the 2 O's big time. If John O not there to score the goals or George O to create them then mid table becons. Qualifying for Europe would be success with more money avaialable to strengthen the squad for next season.

wws
02/09/2003, 1:52 PM
Originally posted by pete
The league is only halfway through so a lot to play for yet. Every team will have a good patch so league winner will probably the team that can string the most wins together in that run.

Shel$ - still got best squad & i don't think small crowds have ever held the club back.

Bohs - will not be a force until Crowe can start scoring again. Small crowds will only increase the pressure on Kenny as the season progresses.

Pats - Great home record has got them where they are. Significant that first league wins away have been to Bohs & City in last couple of weeks. Cannot hope to win games away from home with backs to the wall performances every week.

City - Dependent on the 2 O's big time. If John O not there to score the goals or George O to create them then mid table becons. Qualifying for Europe would be success with more money avaialable to strengthen the squad for next season.

shels - best squad? plainly not, they're playing two pats reservists with clear problems

bohs agreed

pats - its not back to the walls its playing to strengths, as Dolan said recently - "pats are a cute" team and cuteness and savvy counts for a lot when there is no discernible difference between any of the challengers

In my view its all down to goal scorers
will Crowe re-discover form to help bohs
can birdy maintain his form? will McPhee pitch in with even more?
will jason Byrne alone be enough to help shels?

d13bohs
06/09/2003, 9:07 AM
Originally posted by wws

In my view its all down to goal scorers
will Crowe re-discover form to help bohs

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 brilliant performances against the scum and longford from him and Morro, Bohs are back, the double is on again

Cityace
06/09/2003, 2:22 PM
Originally posted by wws

Cork and Shamrock rovers are capable of knicking points to disrupt the main contenders but are not genuine contenders. Cork cause they have to sign players to be in with a real chance and shamrocks cause of financial and post europe defeats both will be happy with holding their own. Shamrocks are capable of doing us a favour or two in derbies where form counts for nothing.

Excuse me Idiot, May i call you idiot?Thanks.

You actually think that waaaterford and longford have a better chance of winning the league then Cork??

GWAAANAWAAAYYAAALAAANGER!!!!!!

Idiot.