PDA

View Full Version : International Performance Director - Wim Koevermans

A face
11/07/2008, 4:59 PM
International Performance Director appointed - Wim Koevermans

The Football Association of Ireland has appointed Wim Koevermans as International Performance Director. The 48-year-old, who is currently working for the Netherlands Football Association (KNVB), will take up his appointment on September 1. As International Performance Director, Koevermans will be responsible for the development and delivery of the FAI’s High Performance Strategy and will report directly to the Chief Executive Officer.

He will play a significant role in maximising the potential of Ireland’s young elite players to produce a consistent supply of better quality players for the senior international teams over the long term. His role will include heading up the new FAI National Academy for elite youth players and working closely with the Technical Department and other stakeholders to develop policies and strategies. Announcing the appointment at a press conference in FAI Headquarters, Chief Executive John Delaney said: “The appointment of Wim Koevermans emphasises the FAI’s determination to bring the best talent to this country to develop Irish players and Irish football.

Read more at www.fai.ie (http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3323)

A face
11/07/2008, 5:04 PM
This could be the skeptic in me now but is this guy being brought in to fast track players out of the league. Does this now mean that there will be a focus on players with ability and having them bypass the league altogether?

HarpoJoyce
11/07/2008, 5:13 PM
This could be the skeptic in me now but is this guy being brought in to fast track players out of the league. Does this now mean that there will be a focus on players with ability and having them bypass the league altogether?

It's the skeptic in you. If he was based in Britain other supporters may claim that he is not identifying any domestic talent.

Dodge
11/07/2008, 6:42 PM
Does this now mean that there will be a focus on players with ability and having them bypass the league altogether?

Yes. But so what, these kids weren't going tom play in our league anyway

ramsfan
11/07/2008, 9:20 PM
i think it is a great move hopefully will get proper structures in place like they did in holland which was so successful, more emphasise on skill rather than hoofing

finnpark
12/07/2008, 1:33 PM

Fair play to Delaney and the FAI. Great appointment.

He has stated that the key to Ireland's success is keeping young players at home and developing home grown youth academies. Something that was said on here many many times.

The export of our young players is destroying both the clubs and International team in Ireland. I hear that a lot of them are not even getting regular football with youth teams in England and Scotland.

Also, more home grown players should help drive wages down which is essential to the Eircom league.

Excellent news. :)

A face
14/07/2008, 8:40 AM
i think it is a great move hopefully will get proper structures in place like they did in holland which was so successful, more emphasise on skill rather than hoofing

Fair play to Delaney and the FAI. Great appointment.

He has stated that the key to Ireland's success is keeping young players at home and developing home grown youth academies. Something that was said on here many many times.

The export of our young players is destroying both the clubs and International team in Ireland. I hear that a lot of them are not even getting regular football with youth teams in England and Scotland.

Also, more home grown players should help drive wages down which is essential to the Eircom league.

Excellent news. :)

The only problem is that junior club will scupper any plans made. Most junior clubs aren't happy unless they can pack off 2-3 players with a bit of talent every year.

There will be no kudos in keeping young players here because it doesn't involve English clubs. The only thing they can possibly achieve in this situation is civic pride and I cant see that being enough reason.

These clubs love to send their kids away 'to greener grass' and wash their hands of them then, conveniently forget about them for ever more and if one out of fifty of them actually makes a headline for themselves some weekend then its all been worth it, they wont have to care about the others whose lives they destroyed, they can claim this headline in a red top rag as an accolade enough to justify it.

charliesboots
14/07/2008, 10:10 AM
The only problem is that junior club will scupper any plans made. Most junior clubs aren't happy unless they can pack off 2-3 players with a bit of talent every year.

There will be no kudos in keeping young players here because it doesn't involve English clubs. The only thing they can possibly achieve in this situation is civic pride and I cant see that being enough reason.

These clubs love to send their kids away 'to greener grass' and wash their hands of them then, conveniently forget about them for ever more and if one out of fifty of them actually makes a headline for themselves some weekend then its all been worth it, they wont have to care about the others whose lives they destroyed, they can claim this headline in a red top rag as an accolade enough to justify it.

Agree with that 100% - The FAI aren't going to develop young players for eircom League clubs, it's up to clubs to develop their schoolboy sides and produce players themselves.

The best players will always go away but we should be striving to keep players here rather than go to League 1 (Eng) are Scottish First sides or below.

Denis The Red
15/07/2008, 2:18 PM
From what I heard the emphasis is on keeping players here for as long as possible and not shifting them off at 14 or 15 years old only to come back again at 18 with their hopes and dreams in bits.
What Koervermans is supposed to have said is implement an idea they have in Holland and that's to keep a player until he's about 21 and the standard of player will be better if he's exported. And the league will be of a higher standard for having better quality players and they can cost an English or Scottish club more if they are to buy him rather than get him for nothing at 15.
Best of luck to him.

chipsahoy
15/07/2008, 2:50 PM
delighted with this appointment. badly needed something like this for the country. our coaching is in **** and the fact that we're getting someone like this from holland is great. i cringe everytime i see schoolboy sides and junior teams being coached by morons who are failed football players themselves. the fact that teams play structured and competitive league football from ages of 5,6,7 and 8 is a joke. we need to change the way football is being coached in this country and with koevermans maybe we will.

A face
15/07/2008, 9:24 PM
delighted with this appointment. badly needed something like this for the country. our coaching is in **** and the fact that we're getting someone like this from holland is great. i cringe everytime i see schoolboy sides and junior teams being coached by morons who are failed football players themselves. the fact that teams play structured and competitive league football from ages of 5,6,7 and 8 is a joke. we need to change the way football is being coached in this country and with koevermans maybe we will.

Agreed fully on that one. Kids shouldn't have to play in a league until after 12 yrs at the earliest. It should all be basic and technical skills that they will need later on. The only reason kids need to play competitive games is to find out what position the play best in. You will NEVER get something like that to happen in Ireland, there simply isn't enough vision or ambition for it to happen.

finnpark
16/07/2008, 8:11 PM

Whilst I agree that most coaches are probably rubbish remember that you don't need to be a great player to be a great manager. Just look at Mourinho and Staunton.

A face
16/07/2008, 9:37 PM
Whilst I agree that most coaches are probably rubbish remember that you don't need to be a great player to be a great manager. Just look at Mourinho and Staunton.

But you dont even need managers at that level, or at least the focus should be on the coaches and possibly the chairman to see where next years improved facilities are coming from. But coaches are paramount, and good ones, technical, dexterity, agility, training methods, aim, skill should be valued more than some poxy win on a Sunday morning.