PDA

View Full Version : El Classico (midlands derby)

Cabs88
10/07/2008, 11:07 PM
looking forward to the game against athlone, hopefully we get a good result especially after last weeks debacle. Many heading over to it?

Salmon Coloured
11/07/2008, 10:01 AM
Ah the old water & Oil Derby. The battle of the Midlands towns who are separated by a road of death. Tang, Ballymahon & Kenagh is in between the lines of this particular beast. I swear I was in a pub in Ballymahon the day after we got relegated last season & they had Sunderland on the TV. All the Premiership fans were in the pub & started sniggering & giving the looks when they saw my Town jersey. Widest street apparently in Ireland but thinnest minds.
Anyhoo hope we stuff Athlone again as if anyone else round the country gives a flying one.

RonnieB
11/07/2008, 12:15 PM
Heading up later on. Hopefully we cannot play as badly as the last two games. Wonder if the new signings will make in into the team/ squad? Any word on casey is he fit again?

Ash
11/07/2008, 12:29 PM
Any word on casey is he fit again?

:D

It takes Ryan 12 games to get fit ... and then another game to get injured again

RonnieB
11/07/2008, 12:33 PM
Harsh, but very true :) I'm sure we will see you at the match Ash, met you at a game in Flancare a while back I think? It is a shame we aren't both playing this match in the top league. Be a long time before either team will get back there im afraid

Ash
11/07/2008, 1:07 PM
Yes indeed.

Have to agree, I doubt we will be battling it our for Champions League spots for at least another season or 2 ;) :D

RonnieB
11/07/2008, 9:47 PM
Aboot as much of a classic as a packet of Crunch classics biscuits! Two poor teams draw was a fir result but thats the way she goes....

Massop 10
11/07/2008, 10:53 PM
No hunger or desire to win our local derby so what chance for other games !!!!!!
This is a sad night for Longford soccer. At least one good thing came from the night Ronnie B's GREAT new tune ! I'd like to say thanks and well done to the few lads that turned up and sang your hearts out for the majority of the game. At least we showed OUR passion is alive and well. We'll keep Section O load and proud for as long as Flancare Park survives !

Macy
11/07/2008, 10:57 PM
That good, eh? I'm intrigued by the new song though - spill the beans...

Pauro 76
11/07/2008, 11:06 PM
No hunger or desire to win our local derby so what chance for other games !!!!!!
This is a sad night for Longford soccer. At least one good thing came from the night Ronnie B's GREAT new tune ! I'd like to say thanks and well done to the few lads that turned up and sang your hearts out for the majority of the game. At least we showed OUR passion is alive and well. We'll keep Section O load and proud for as long as Flancare Park survives !

Sorry to hear about the shambles of a result. but intrigued to hear that new tune of Ronnie B's. And agreed on Section O. So long as there's a Flansiro, there'll always be a Section O. Might be coming over for next home game, or the one after, touch wood...

RonnieB
11/07/2008, 11:10 PM
gAll credits to the scousers who I heard sing this.

Oh Campione,
The One and Only!
Were Longford Town Fc

They say our days are numbered, we're not Popular anymore
But longford rule the midlands like they always done before

Oh Campione,
The One and Only!
Were Longford Town Fc!

RonnieB
11/07/2008, 11:10 PM
Precious Gin...... night all....

Longfordian
11/07/2008, 11:12 PM
Not so annoyed I couldn't make it now. I'd expect to see a few lads moved on by next year. We've a striker coming in apparently, he's Spanish or Spanish-American or something, impressing in training by all accounts. How did the new lads do, Oladele and Molloy?

RonnieB
11/07/2008, 11:17 PM
Oladele did very well one of the few to do anything. Towards the end he tired but gave a very good performance and tbh the only player who tried.

Rocky77
12/07/2008, 1:11 PM
Very disappointed. Certainly not worth sitting in traffic in Moate for an hour :mad:

After beating Shels you'd have been realistically looking for 7-9 points from the next three games. We've taken none.

That said, fair play to the lads - Aaron and Vinny - for keeping things moving. It's been a difficult season but they've unearthed a few good players; Iarfhwxyzaith Davoren, Gally and now Oladale. He certainly looks quite a prospect.

I'm sure Aaron didn't want him on the pitch for 90 minutes but with the enforced substitutions he had no choice. He seemed to tire and gave away cheap possesion in the build up to the corner that they scored from. But he's a teenager playing in his first LoI game so it was always going to be tough.

I don't know what'll happen at the end of the season but if we can hang onto a few of them we'll have a much stronger base to build on than we had six months ago.

Longfordian
12/07/2008, 1:33 PM
Granted I didn't see the match last night but yeah there's some young players there to build on. It was always going to be a difficult season really, we were starting from scratch. I suppose the sign of progress is the team's performances and results improving as the season goes on, we're halfway through now and it's been kind of one step forward two steps back. Aaron and Vinny would be as annoyed as anyone else with this I'm sure. Hopefully we can get a bit of consistency for the second half of the season. A bit more creativity wouldn't go astray.

Rocky77
12/07/2008, 3:12 PM
How did the new lads do, Oladele and Molloy?

I'm not so sure about molloy. Didn't do much and his touch seems a bit heavy. I'll reserve judgement until he's played a couple of games.

Anyone know the latest on Maccer, by the way?

RonnieB
12/07/2008, 3:48 PM
Where is Gary Murphy these days?

Martinho II
12/07/2008, 6:57 PM
Where is Gary Murphy these days?

gary murphy gone to america for a few weeks holidays god i hate to say it but we really miss him...

the best thing from last nite was jay oladeles performance and ronnies new chant! can see da new chant a big favourite in da section o!

RonnieB
12/07/2008, 10:50 PM
I know a lot are on amateur terms but going on holiday in the middle of a season. For ****s sake. We need everyone.What the **** are the management letting one of our best players **** off on holiday for at a crucial stage? Surely some other arrangement can be made.

We were so badly out of shape last night it was pathetic. No fitnes levels at all. Then again our training sessions descend into who can shout the loudest....,.,.

Rocky77
12/07/2008, 11:05 PM
I know a lot are on amateur terms but going on holiday in the middle of a season. For ****s sake. We need everyone.What the **** are the management letting one of our best players **** off on holiday for at a crucial stage? Surely some other arrangement can be made.

We were so badly out of shape last night it was pathetic. No fitnes levels at all. Then again our training sessions descend into who can shout the loudest....,.,.

I don't get ya

Longfordian
13/07/2008, 12:46 AM
I would assume he had it booked before even signing this year. The same applied to other players such as Bermingham. To be honest Gary was poor in the last couple of games he did play I thought. He was trying to do everything himself. Plus he's been carrying an injury.

RonnieB
13/07/2008, 11:48 AM
True I suppose. We need some sort of a result friday night against Fingal to get a bit of confidence back in the team. Hopefully this new striker is as good as people are saying he is.

Martinho II
13/07/2008, 8:06 PM
I don't get ya

assume ronnie u r makin a assumption based on wot ur pal adrian cregg said to ya???

RonnieB
14/07/2008, 8:57 AM
Not making any assumptions. Just feel players heading off in the middle of a season is a bit of a disaster given our lack of half decent players. Not what anyone said to me having watched a session a while back it would make you wonder.

Massop 10
14/07/2008, 9:33 AM
I know what Ronnie is saying about who can shout the loudest cos i've been down watching training and they shout more than anything else ! From what i can see there is a split in the camp aswell between a definate 1st team and the rest which means nobody pushing for places and that shows on the pitch at the moment !! There is a complacancy in the first team that is tearing the team apart.

Massop 10
14/07/2008, 9:40 AM
Oh yeah and as for players going on holiday during the season all I'd say is get rid of any player who shows that disrespet to his team-mates. There is a 2 week break in the season for this reason. Gary Murphy obviously wanted to be with the Gaa team (but didn't make it) this year and knew that he would be free this week so his heart is not with the Town, and it showed in his last few games.

Keen2win
14/07/2008, 9:42 AM
So are we saying that Aaron and Vinny are at fault?

Ash
14/07/2008, 10:51 AM
Not a great game but interesting stat that Longford had 5 former Athlone players in the starting line up: Rushie, Ronan, Iarflaith, Luke Hardy and Shane Harte.
And then Aaron O'C of course being in charge of us before!

Massop 10
14/07/2008, 11:26 AM
Well someone has to be held responsable !!!! It's up to the management to see and sort out the problems. At the game in Athlone it seemed all was not well in the management set-up either ! Vinny saw we needed Lynch but Aaron brought on Molloy which i think most people were miffed by. We have a big squad so changes can be made and these things have to be sorted at training.

Longfordian
14/07/2008, 11:41 AM
In the interests of fairness, if you're going to slate the management for the bad performances you have to give them credit for the good ones such as Shels, Fingal, Pats. We're only halfway through the season and any talk of impending catastrophe is over the top. We have been annoyingly inconsistent but the management is as aware of this as any of us and even more annoyed by it. Give them a chance to sort it out.

Rocky77
14/07/2008, 11:48 AM
We're still four points better off than Shels were after 18 games last season. That's the barometer in my book. All talk of a crisis is a bit premature.

Massop 10
14/07/2008, 11:08 PM
I didn't say anything about a CRISIS but the problems need to be sorted now that they are still managable ! To tell anybody who doesn't know me, I am the first to congatulate the club, players and managment on anything good that happens and that means off the pitch aswell as on it !

Battery Rover
14/07/2008, 11:36 PM
Revenge is Sweet

Enjoy www.athlonetowntv.com :D