PDA

View Full Version : How are Kilkenny City??

shep
10/07/2008, 11:40 AM
Any word on them,future plans recent developments.I always enjoyed my trips there....the 3 points were always nice also!!!

pateen
10/07/2008, 11:48 AM
Are they gone completly or are they in the Leinster Senior League

GuisaSaigon
10/07/2008, 11:54 AM
It's a shame they are gone from the League, Great town for a weekender. Haven't heard much about them since they left the league.

L37Ultra
10/07/2008, 12:31 PM
I heard they were entering a team into the U-20 League which is a good sign as I think its only supposed to be Eircom League Clubs this season.

dcfcsteve
10/07/2008, 1:31 PM
I emaield Jim Rhatigan back in january about gettign a copy ofn his book and some Kilkenny City merchandise.

He emailed me back around March/April because he'd been ill. He said the club is looking to rebuild again in intermediate football before making a return to the EL.

I think they do have some KCFC merchandise left if anyone fancies any. The money would help the club, and you'd be picking-up a bit of Irish footballing history.

Bunny Kelly
10/07/2008, 3:24 PM
Focusing on the U-20 side for the moment & looking to build from there over the next few years

sadloserkid
10/07/2008, 4:37 PM
I heard they were entering a team into the U-20 League which is a good sign as I think its only supposed to be Eircom League Clubs this season.

Is this true?

I think they do have some KCFC merchandise left if anyone fancies any. The money would help the club, and you'd be picking-up a bit of Irish footballing history.

I already have a scarf, I'd probably splash out for a reasonably priced jersey to go with my Dublin City one.

Focusing on the U-20 side for the moment & looking to build from there over the next few years

Glad to hear it. No viability in the A Championship yet I take it?

KevB76
10/07/2008, 6:10 PM
Is this true?

Apparantly yes, it came up somewhere on one of the recent threads under U20s,
Kilkenny were allowed keep their EL status so they can still enter but the likes of Kerry League and Castlebar Celtic cant!

Sam_Heggy
10/07/2008, 8:53 PM
It's a shame they are gone from the League, Great town for a weekender. Haven't heard much about them since they left the league.

100%, had a brilliant weekend there last November with Harps, we were kicked out of Matt the Millars for singing too loud but still great craic.

They built a fine new stand down there, its a pity the town couldn't get behind the team.

Dunny
10/07/2008, 10:08 PM

Good to hear. :)

oldyouth
10/07/2008, 11:08 PM
Anyone that is thinking of reviving Kilkenny City has my total support. Onwards with The Beautiful Game.

amjl
11/07/2008, 12:59 AM

The only bit of City merchandise you'd be likely to get is either a scarf, a pin or a tie. Thats all the merchandise the club has has been selling for about the past 3 years. They haven't sold a replica jersey since the 2004 season! Last years kit was given to a local junior team who will essentially be City's feeder club for the U-20 team, so there's no chance of getting your hands on a jersey.

KianD
11/07/2008, 9:43 AM
There was what looked suspiciously like a few replica shirts on hangers on the shelves in the 'shop' against Harps last year I thought?

sadloserkid
13/07/2008, 4:53 PM
Apparantly yes, it came up somewhere on one of the recent threads under U20s,
Kilkenny were allowed keep their EL status so they can still enter but the likes of Kerry League and Castlebar Celtic cant!

That's very disappointing to hear. One of the strengths of the old set-up was that it provided plenty of scope for players to find their way into senior football from areas that may otherwise have missed out. Plenty of Kerry players in particular had spells in the EL proper with various Munster clubs (particularly Limerick!). Ball dropped by FAI.

L37Ultra
13/07/2008, 11:45 PM
That's very disappointing to hear. One of the strengths of the old set-up was that it provided plenty of scope for players to find their way into senior football from areas that may otherwise have missed out. Plenty of Kerry players in particular had spells in the EL proper with various Munster clubs (particularly Limerick!). Ball dropped by FAI.

Agreed. Killkenny are appartenly the only non-League club in the U-20's set up this season. Technically they are still classified as a League of Ireland club so the FAI have allowed them enter a team. Whether they decide to or not is a different situation.

sadloserkid
14/07/2008, 4:02 PM
Thinking about it I suppose the FAI/eL are hoping that the likes of Kerry, Mullingar, Castlebar, UL, Lifford etc will enter the A League instead. Still think it's a bit needless tbh (kicking the non eL clubs out of the U-20 League, not the A Championship!)

And while I wish Kilkenny City all the goodwill in the world it's farcicial that they've still classified as an eL side. :confused:

SligoBrewer
14/07/2008, 5:31 PM
Could someone pm me the details of where I could buy said merchandise?

Nick
15/09/2009, 11:11 AM
2 sadloserkid

Hi, Dar. It's Nick from Moscow, some months ago I wrote to you about KCFC. I wonder if there are any positive news.
Could you please drop me a line at bb35@mail.ru ?
Thanks.

Acornvilla
23/12/2009, 4:06 PM
any news here at all is the club still in existance? u20's?

outspoken
23/05/2010, 7:08 PM
No, I read a couple of months back that they have completely gone , no under age or anything a real shame and hard to think a place as big as kilkenny with out a soccer club scary really.

eitoof
30/07/2010, 12:51 PM
what's the status of the pitch/grounds?

Dermotron
24/01/2012, 2:49 PM
what's the status of the pitch/grounds?

The pitch and grounds are still in pretty reasonable shape for considering the lack of (no) activity there anymore. The odd night the floodlights are turned on but I guess it's just routine checks to see if everything is working still.

It's a great shame that the local junior competition finals aren't played there - there's benefit to both the grounds owners (exposure, extra bodies for maintenance) and the KDL to play them there (far more attraction than current venue to players imo).

But with the K&DL having invested greatly in their own pitches (about 200 yards away) there's not much hope of the grounds being used for that purpose - which is a shame as I've dreamed of scoring in Buckley Park since standing behind the goals as a kid.

El-Pietro
25/01/2012, 4:09 PM
I saw a game being played there new years eve - well I was on a bus passing the ground and someone was playing what looked like an official game there

AnnaghRed
29/01/2012, 7:40 PM
Was past it last week myself and still looks in good nick.

Dermotron
29/01/2012, 9:05 PM
The army play their inter barracks comps there still I think. They were the last official match I was at there in 2010.

blobbyblob
15/11/2012, 9:10 PM
Are freebooters playing schoolboy league games there?

mastershake
30/03/2013, 12:40 PM
Any Kilkenny supporters out there know if the club today has any involvement in underage football? Surely a revival such as Cobh's could materialise at some stage?