PDA

View Full Version : Changes for 2004 season

Counting Crow
30/08/2003, 4:53 PM
Have it on good advice from within the Club that we will see some changes to our strip next season.

New legislation requires the elimination of any drink sponsorship on football jerseys from January 2004 - that's Guinness gone.

I believe our deal with Le Coq Sportif is up this season also.

Lennox is hoping to change the crest, so with all the above combined we should expect a completely different look come the beginning of the new season next March.

Troy.McClure
30/08/2003, 5:03 PM
Its a shame that we are loosing Guinness because they have been good sponcers for us through the years and Guinness House was always a good place to introduce a new player. Im sure that we could have sold plenty of shirts abroad, esp in the US if the marketing structures were in place - its a missed oppertunity.

Plenty of clubs change their shirt makers and sponcers at the same time though and atleast it prevents 3 kit changes in 3 years if we changed sponcer and then shirt maker the year after.

patsh
30/08/2003, 6:28 PM
Well I'd like to see a new sponsor.
I don't know how much City got from Guinness, but aside from the launches and few free pints, I don't think they did very much else for City. They must have one of the biggest pr/advertising/marketing depts in the world, and could have done a lot for City on that side of things.
I think the present jersey is just fine, but maybe a green version of the current away jersey would be better, i.e green where the blue is, white where the green is and keep the red trim.

With the seeming increase in sales of the jersey, a real hard deal should be driven with any new kit sponsors.
As for the crest, there is nothing wrong with it, leave it alone!
KEEP OUR CREST !

pete
02/09/2003, 10:38 AM
I was unaware of any ban of drinks sponsors. Would this extend to Guinness sponsoring the Hurling championship?

Heard city definitely changing the jersey manufacture next season also with an innovative eL arrangement.

James
02/09/2003, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by Troy.McClure
Its a shame that we are loosing Guinness because they have been good sponcers for us through the years

one of the most WRONG comments i have ever read on this board

The Donie Forde
02/09/2003, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by pete
I was unaware of any ban of drinks sponsors. Would this extend to Guinness sponsoring the Hurling championship?

The drinks advertising ban is to be applied to all sports, it's not just a soccer thing.

Donie

niamh
02/09/2003, 2:04 PM
The shirt is one thing but what about the colour. Anyone know if City will be sticking with the green and white?

Didn't like it at the start but it's not so bad now.

NorthoftheLee
02/09/2003, 2:48 PM
i like the home kit...and think we should stick with it or something very similar less heavy obv., although a bit more red in it would be better IMO.

The away gear should be red IMO, the current away gear is nice but i'm not mad on the navy. Change the navy for red and you're sorted like the most recent red jersey.

If the club is doing the whole rebel army thing then they must incorporate a bit more red into the team colours.....green white and red, them the colours to go with......IMO obv...

SÓC
02/09/2003, 10:40 PM
It is all drink sports advertising on TV before 9pm afaik which is to be banned??

I not sure what exact effect this will have at "live" venues although it would mean City could never be shown live on TV if it were to apply to shirt sponsorships.

A face
02/09/2003, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by NorthoftheLee
i like the home kit...and think we should stick with it or something very similar less heavy obv., although a bit more red in it would be better IMO.

The away gear should be red IMO, the current away gear is nice but i'm not mad on the navy. Change the navy for red and you're sorted like the most recent red jersey.

If the club is doing the whole rebel army thing then they must incorporate a bit more red into the team colours.....green white and red, them the colours to go with......IMO obv...

Hear hear !! Words right outta my mouth !!

razor
03/09/2003, 7:44 AM
Have to disagree here, the navy away jersey is the best away jersey since the black & yellow, my all time favourite.
Its very popular, the navy jerseys are all over the place.
The material in the home kit is crap, though the colour isn't bad.

fonzi
03/09/2003, 9:11 AM
wouldnt it be nice to get adidas back. I mean the quaility of thoose jerseys are far more superiour to the le coq ones.
Adidas always had good crests on the jerseys too. much more obvious than le coq.

ccfc till i die
04/09/2003, 4:09 PM
We cant change colours again and go back to red. Weve already changed twice and it would look stupid.

BTW Im amazed at how few people can spell sponsor

NorthoftheLee
04/09/2003, 4:27 PM
You're amazed because ONE person mispelt the word sponsor???

Schumi
04/09/2003, 4:32 PM
Originally posted by NorthoftheLee
You're amazed because ONE person mispelt the word sponsor??? And that was Troy McLure, what else would you expect?!:D

tiktok
04/09/2003, 5:40 PM
i don't think we'll be moving away from a green home shirt, the suggestion of having a green version of the navy away one will be dependant on the contract with le Coq. if it's not renewed they keep their design and we have to go in a new direction.

are you all 100% sure that the guinness sponsorship is in doubt?

michaelguineys
04/09/2003, 6:54 PM
I've heard from a reliable source that city will be sponsored by umbro next season

patsh
04/09/2003, 7:33 PM
Originally posted by ccfc till i die
We cant change colours again and go back to red. Weve already changed twice and it would look stupid.

BTW Im amazed at how few people can spell sponsor
I'm ABSOLUTELY AMAZED at people who can't "do" punctuation.....:D

ccfcman
04/09/2003, 8:07 PM
umbro jerzeys are bitchin.hmmm who do we want to sponsor city>red bull,phizers(based in cork 2) >kielys chipper opp. smyths!

tiktok
04/09/2003, 9:43 PM
Originally posted by ccfcman
hmmm who do we want to sponsor city>red bull,phizers(based in cork 2) >kielys chipper opp. smyths!

there are a few options:
Pfizer (hopefully not, the rising up the table jokes would start).
Barry's Tea
(or maybe O2 will continue to oust them from jersey fronts)
Lucozade (GSK down in ringaskiddy)
EMC (if they get some cash together)
De Banks
RedFM
96FM

or maybe Foot.ie (any chance adam:D )

ccfcman
05/09/2003, 9:32 AM
i know, rté!