PDA

View Full Version : am i the only one

thecorner
30/08/2003, 8:51 AM
am i the only tht thinks we would be better off with greg on the bench
sure enough bring him when we r 1 up and trying to hold onto it but when chasing a game what can he offer
i dont want grief here now, just my honest opinion

patsh
30/08/2003, 11:52 AM
Greg offers:
Commitment,
Fight,
Never say die attitude,
Never give up,
Heart.
He wins the ball,
Tackles,
Tracks back.
He takes shots,
tries to attack as often as he can,
he breaks up attacks from the opposition.

Outside of scoring 40 goals a season, is that not enough for you?

golly
30/08/2003, 1:59 PM
has a poor first touch runs around like a headless chicken lunges in poor timing when tackling his shots sail onto curragh rd and into st annes end. i agree with u corner. his creativity is also not that great also his passing over greater distances. he does give an awful lot of energy commitment and bravery though

thecorner
30/08/2003, 3:01 PM
reckon we would be better off with flynny and behan up front with georgie dropping back

Gary
30/08/2003, 3:11 PM
I think that was as bad a game as Greg will ever play for City, and to be fair, he has been very dissapointing all season. i take no pleasure in saying that because we all know what the guy is capable of. The game totally by-passed him last night.

I could say the same about Casey. Thought he was awfiul last night as well, and thats not even mentioning Dereks "contribution".

Hopefully the signing of Kearney will be a good one, and hopefully Gregs form will improve drastically.

RedX
30/08/2003, 3:56 PM
I have to admit that i was never a big fan of Greg O Halloran over the years.A lot of it was down to his attitude also.But recently i have to to say i think he is a very good player.He might not have played fantastic last night but he was still very good.His tackles and passing looked good and everytime he lost possesion he fought hard to retrieve it.He cant always play brilliantly.I think City were let down elsewhere last night.Casey is not great.He can beat a player and is quiet a good crosser and yes did bring extra balance to the team.But when he is not in possesion he is poor and he needs to get it going or lose his place.Kevin Doyle is having a good season but dont you think a lot of time he tries to beat one player to many thus losing possesion.For Pats first goal last night Dan Murray tried to play a long ball to Casey(hopeful to say the least)which was defended by a Pats player and it broke to Woods who gave it straight back and from there a couple of moves later we were 1-0 down.Its easy to blame players when you lose isnt it.But thats why we have a manager and i am sure Dolan will sort this.If one of Citys many chances had gone in early i am sure Pats would not have found a way back but thats football lads.Its fair to say we missed George last night but by no means are we a one or two man team.Looking forward to a new exciting player in Liam Kearney so let the games continue.We are still in there....

Éanna
02/09/2003, 11:56 PM
i personlly would play greg and george in midfield. that way greg could do the work and let george work his magic. problem is neither behan or CP are ready for the first team IMO.

liamon
03/09/2003, 10:17 AM
If we drop Greg for Behan/CP, then I don't see our midfield having the requisite bite. We need Greg in there making the tackles.

fonzi
03/09/2003, 10:28 AM
none of em had any touch with the ball against asti.

pete
03/09/2003, 11:22 AM
I think Greg will stay for the time being. City have a 2 week break after the UCD game for him to get some more training in.

Key to beating UCD is possession so we need to win ball in midfield.

ccfc till i die
03/09/2003, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by patsh
Greg offers:
Commitment,
Fight,
Never say die attitude,
Never give up,
Heart.
He wins the ball,
Tackles,
Tracks back.
He takes shots,
tries to attack as often as he can,
he breaks up attacks from the opposition.

Outside of scoring 40 goals a season, is that not enough for you?

Commitment, fight, never say die attitude, never give up and heart are all the same thing. As are wins the ball tackles and breaks up attacks from the opposition.
His shots are atrocious.

tiktok
03/09/2003, 10:57 PM
the best sides usually have a central midfield composed of two good tacklers, one of whom can put a foot on the ball and pass it well.

greg would be the other type, the guy you send to mark the opponents creative midfielder, who will break up attacks, throw himself into tackles (and get booked from time to time) and generally put himself between ball and goal.

if you take greg out of the side, neither colin t nor georgie can fill this role. personally i'd have george and greg in midfield with colin t on the right and doyle up front.

Cityace
04/09/2003, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Éanna
i personlly would play greg and george in midfield. that way greg could do the work and let george work his magic. problem is neither behan or CP are ready for the first team IMO.

I dont know about Behan, he seems a bit run down lately, even in the U-21, But CP would definatley be ready for the first team if he got some real match practice in.

patsh
04/09/2003, 4:09 PM
Originally posted by ccfc till i die
Commitment, fight, never say die attitude, never give up and heart are all the same thing. As are wins the ball tackles and breaks up attacks from the opposition.
His shots are atrocious.
OK so, he is useless, lets get rid of him....:rolleyes:

ccfcman
05/09/2003, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by thecorner
reckon we would be better off with flynny and behan up front with georgie dropping back
spot on!

liamon
05/09/2003, 12:41 PM
Playing George, Doyle and Casey in midfield, with JOF and Behan up foront, provides a lot of attacking options. But I don't see that team actually managing to win many tackles. THey'll never get the ball to start an attack with.

thecorner
05/09/2003, 6:19 PM
Colin T is more than capable of throwing in the tackles and winning the ball in midfield

Éanna
06/09/2003, 12:43 AM
Colin T is more than capable of throwing in the tackles and winning the ball in midfield
IMO, Greg is better suited to that kind of role than Colin T

thecorner
06/09/2003, 9:20 AM
Originally posted by Éanna
IMO, Greg is better suited to that kind of role than Colin T
fair point but with Colin T, he is able to mix it
when the going gets tough he wont shy away and when football is needed to be played he can also provide that,something that greg cant

not surprised that greg still hasnt got back the captains armband

Cityace
06/09/2003, 3:01 PM
What age is greg??

Real Rambler
06/09/2003, 3:11 PM
I agree because if you started him he could aggrovate his knee and he would be good to bring on and keep possesion

ccfc till i die
06/09/2003, 6:21 PM
Originally posted by patsh
OK so, he is useless, lets get rid of him....:rolleyes:

Ah that's not what I meant:p

Éanna
08/09/2003, 6:31 PM
not surprised that greg still hasnt got back the captains armband
Greg gave up the captaincy because it was affecting his football, he didn't think he was playing as well since he became captain. There was something in the programme about it wasn't there?

thecorner
20/09/2003, 2:53 AM
anyone starting 2 believe me now or cant ye still think past greg

forget about being true 2 our players

what we want now is winners

b4 we know it we will b in a relegation battle

golly
20/09/2003, 8:12 PM
i 100% agree wit ya.ive said it b4 and ill say it again i think that greg is one of the weaklinks in our team. hunt p***ed on greg last nite colin t is playing out of his skin and is constantly making up for what greg lacks. he shouldnt b in the team simply because their is better quality there already

Gary
21/09/2003, 5:58 PM
Im amazed at how badly Greg is playing lately. Without doubt he is full hearted, but he isnt producing the goods on the pitch.

I know ppl will say "but he is commited" etc, but cmere like, id be committed, but i know that id still be crap.

I wouldnt have him on the team for Longford. Dare i say but Benno is a better option in centre mid (assuming he wont play centre half).

curts82
22/09/2003, 2:33 PM
COlin T had a dreadful time against Bohs and against Pats he was worse. He showed to much respect for Osam against Pats and against Bohs he didn't complete a pass to a city player in the first.:mad:

razor
22/09/2003, 3:43 PM
Colin T or Greg I don't think either of these is capable of dominating the midfield against any opposition.
We have seen this quite clearly over the last few weeks.

Now we all seem to know we are lacking in the centre of midfield but what is Dolan doing about it. ?

Any position of respectability this season is slowly drifting away.

NorthoftheLee
22/09/2003, 4:45 PM
Originally posted by razor
Now we all seem to know we are lacking in the centre of midfield but what is Dolan doing about it. ?

He did try very hard to get Mcgrath from Villa and Melaugh. Both central midfielders, but both chose to join different clubs...He has been looking and I am sure he is aware of the problem.....Its transfer no go at the moment so I'd say he is gonna draw up a hitlist for the close season.........One of the Nigerian sis also a Midfielder so he knows its an area where we need strengthening....

curts82
22/09/2003, 4:51 PM
Originally posted by NorthoftheLee
One of the Nigerian sis also a Midfielder so he knows its an area where we need strengthening....

Dolan will prob play him back, goal or even forward