PDA

View Full Version : Smash and Grab...

RedX
30/08/2003, 12:26 AM
If there was ever a case of smash and grab it was this one where i thought City were well on top for most of the game.But unfortunately due to the brilliance of Adamson in Pats goal and some poor finishing we lost.Fair dues to Pats to come down here and take the points, but we really threw it away.We are still well in the title race,especially when there will be many Dublin derbys to come and also we must meet all these teams again.One thing that worried me was the way City played after conceding number two.Billy Woods played with total disreguard to whom he gave the ball to, and some other players were no better.But overall City played some very good football during the game and especially the first half.Bird looked very good for Pats and was always a threat.What a pity Behans first half effort was brilliantly saved.There was around 5-6,000 there tonight and even though City lost the sunshiners can see the potential this club and team have.I still think we will finish in the top two and we must just keep supporting the team as much as possible.Our club is growing and without being arrogant to any Dub fans it most definetly is outgrowing every club in the country.The look on Pat Dolans face tonight as he stood and stared in to the shed at the end thanking them for there support says it all.He has built this club up in less than one season faster than we hoped.So from now on anyone that comes on here complaining about him(especially Pats fans)can go away and f**k themselves as far as im concerned.He is our manager and we are proud of him for what he is doing for our club.Whatever has happened with Dolan and Pats over the years keep to yourselves because no one here gives a t**s.He is doing a fantastic job here.Cork City FC and Pat Dolan were made for each other.St Pats could not fulfill his ambitions but Cork City FC can and WILL..........

Counting Crow
30/08/2003, 10:09 AM
RedX the last line above says it all.

Pats will only ever reach a certain level as a Club and Dolan knows that. The potential for City was there to be seen tonight all around the ground.

- massive crowd that every other club in the country is jealous of
- the amount of City gear ( jerseys, shirts, flags, hats etc ) worn by people at the game shows that it is actually "cool" to support City now
- the amount of young people attending games ( its is reminisiant to the premiership when it all started up first ). This will stand to City over the next few years.

If I was a player looking to play for a Club in Ireland and saw this I would be jumping at the chance to pull on the green and white.

Remember Dolan has done all this with just a couple of changes to last years team.

We are still short a few players in key positions but believe me the jigsaw is coming together quicker than some people would like ( in Dublin ).

Dolan, Legend.

Eamon Collins
30/08/2003, 10:34 AM
:D

patsh
30/08/2003, 10:43 AM
I expect we will have all the obesessed little arseh*les for awhile. F*ck them, with their small club, small mickey man manager and f*ck all to say.

Hitman
30/08/2003, 10:56 AM
In fairness I'd have to say that Pats were much better on the night. While Adamson made several good saves in the first half, all the shots were from outside the area, we never really got behind their defence. I think we were probably more guilty of hoofing, never really got to grips in midfield, and given how slow our defence was on the turn, I couldn't fault Pats for playing it in behind early.

Eamon Collins
30/08/2003, 10:59 AM
fair play to ya hitman. somebody from cork actually was watching the same game as me.

"if you can read this, You're not from cork"
:D

golly
30/08/2003, 1:09 PM
we lacked serious creativity their last nite Osam ****ed on greg who was poor only for colin t we could have been f**ked. Pats had a plan that worke d they done it 2 bohs they done it 2 us all of our chances were outside d box didnt think we deserved anything from it last nite. hopefully we can learn from this like s shels cup game and go on another run starting sunday. we are still well in there and i think its going to b an intresting few months

De Town
30/08/2003, 1:35 PM
Seems like youse really missed O'Callaghan?

patsh
30/08/2003, 1:53 PM
Originally posted by DE TOWN
Seems like youse really missed O'Callaghan?
Yeah, badly missed him all right. It's pretty hard to play against an 11 man defence though, yet only for the keeper making some incredible saves and some last minute blocks, we would have had the game won by half time. Still, we did not play well in the second half, but still had most of the play. Of course, mcKeon, the boll*x, ignored the blatent handball in the box by Livingston in the lead up to the second goal.
I'd still much prefer to watch City playing football, rather than the dire sh*te from SPA.

On a different note, that pr*ck E. Collins claimed on the RTE radio Saturday sports show that SPA "had over a thousand fans" in the X.
What a l@nger.
There was, at most, 150.
Any guesses from any other people ?

Dr.Nightdub
30/08/2003, 3:25 PM
Lads, all slagging aside, I had a look at De Paper's match report just to get a slightly less hysterical reaction from a Cork point of view. It seems like a fairly accurate match report of what was a brilliant game: http://www.examiner.ie/pport/web/sport/Full_Story/did-sgEc2S6irexxssgadLjt5C321I.asp

Bill George describes us in the following terms: "admirable skill and invention", "organisation and efficiency in their teamwork " and "clever positional play " (by Bird and McPhee). For sure, some of our defending was backs-to-the-wall stuff - not surprising considering your superiority in possession - but some of it was simply outstanding in terms of the art of defending, Foley in particular.

On the other hand Bill George describes youse as "rich in energy and competitive spirit, but sadly short in invention and imagination" and "too predictable by half ". We felt beforehand that O'Flynn was gonna be your only real threat and that proved to be the case.

By the way, I agree there was nowhere near a thousand of us there last night, more like 200-300. Maybe Eamo just thought it sounded like a thousand from where he was standing - according to the RTE News reporter last night "I hope Turners Cross has understanding neighbours with the noise levels of the Pats faithful."

RedX
30/08/2003, 3:32 PM
CC.....dead right.We talked about that last night about the potential this club has.I dont want people talking about potential in 3 or 4 years time though.By then i hope we are well on the way of showing it with a first rate stadium packed for all home games like last night and hopefully being the dominant force in this league....

Also as you mentioned about the children that are now turning up to games.It really is great to see.Even over the year young kids that turned up still wore there Liverpool and United jerseys but now its the navy away gear with Flynny or Georgies name on it.Really nice stuff...

I know people will not be happy if we lose and of course they will vent there frustration here.I just hope all those fans can see that City are building a strong team with Liam Kearney the latest player to come in(high hopes for him).Next season will be a big one for our club and i am very confident that we will prove that its not just potential that we have...

RedX
30/08/2003, 3:44 PM
St Pats were very organised and played well on the counter attack last night.Bird as i earlier mentioned looks very good.He holds the ball up well and is also very capable of running at defenders.Pats defense yes was good last night but i really do think on another night Adamson might not have played as well.Maybe or maybe not.If City scored from one of those early chances Pats would have been in big trouble.On tonights Evening Echo here in Cork, Eamonn Collins and Pat Dolan both speak kind and very good words about each other which i though was nice.It was a very good win for Pats to come down here and bag three points just as it would be a very good result to take three points in Inchicore if we were to win up there.So congrads on the result and i am sure our rivalry will continue.Pats are a good club and genuine City fans respect that as i am sure Pats think the same of us.So until we cross swords again..by the way who is your manager????

tonybirdfanclub
30/08/2003, 3:47 PM
The crowd was no bigger than a lot of attendances at richer this season. I agree it is great to see big attendences , whichever City its in. Has to be good for the league . As for our small club, we have won four of the last eight championships which says something, we are improving on the field no end since last season, Clive Delany now to strenghten the team.

On the match itself I thought we deserved the points as we took the chances on the night, like yourselves wew are building something very solid, a new 3000 stand behind the Inchicore end goal( to be the biggest in the league and two tiered ) starting in the next few weeks.

On the crowd, that it was a great showing from ourselves , the sheds design doesnt really aid the cause on your side, but good none the less:ball:

what a run of results we are on now!

Soko
30/08/2003, 5:30 PM
Originally posted by tonybirdfanclub
The crowd was no bigger than a lot of attendances at richer this season.

That is absolute bullsh!t. There was no where near that many people in Richmond when we played ye earlier in the season. It will be good to sort out that kip behind the goal allright, now if you could only find some fans to fill it ............

Casegrande
31/08/2003, 10:43 AM
Having seen a lot of all the clubs now, its safe to say that Pats and Shels are in with a good chance of winning the league. its just a shame for the league that dour teams like these are on top. i thought shels were bad but the tactics of Pats take the biscuit. It was like back to the days of Jack Charlton football, put em under pressure...
In fairness to Pats they did a good job on stiffling O'Flynn and without the hassle of having to look after George aswell they were sorted. But Christ what a poor, boring team. Best of luck to them but they won't win any friends with their style of play.

Dodge
01/09/2003, 8:14 AM
Are you for real? We played exactly the same style of football as Cork on Friday. The difference was we were away from home and under no obligation to attack. You lot were at home and couldn't attack. I know it probably would have been different if O'Callagan played but he didn't and you looked clueless, lumping it forward to O'Flynn at every occasion.

Our football last night certainly wasn't champagne stuff but we did look dangerous on the counter attack. We also have tha ability to misx styles. Its obvious that away to Cork we'll be more cautious than at home to, well, anyone. Its what a good team do. They adapt.

razor
01/09/2003, 8:28 AM
Having gone a goal up at home to us after a few minutes, ye were still under no obligation to attack, sat back and paid the penalty.
Can't help thinking ye use style of play home and away.

We were mugged basically. Played well didn't score and were the main cause of our defeat. Dan and Derek were awful as was Woods. 1st goal was a gift and the 2nd was incorrectly allowed after Livingstone handled the ball before crossing but then again how was a fart like Bird allowed to win a header at the far post ?

We played the ball on the ground and I was happier with the display than after the 1st game of the season when both teams were awful.

These things happen and Pats were physically a much bigger team, this enabled Osam to out muscle Greag and Colin in the middle, have to say he's a shadow of the player he once was but still effective.

Have to say that however much of a good player Livingstone is, the shine is totally taken off it by him being a cheat.
He conned the Ref in Richmond for a peno and then Friday night awarded McKeon the premier seat on the bus home.

tonybirdfanclub
01/09/2003, 9:55 AM
Conned my arse, two perfectly good goals, besides Birdy should have had a peno in the second half. For once, realise that we were tactically superior and got three well earned and deserved points.

Bring oin Rovers to make it six wins on the trot!

patsh
01/09/2003, 3:56 PM
Originally posted by razor
He conned the Ref in Richmond for a peno and then Friday night awarded McKeon the premier seat on the bus home.
100% correct, He wasn't even within the playing area when he cheated in Richmond. Worse, McKeon was looking at him when he handled the ball the other night and did nothing about it. Thats the second time this season that McKeon has given a goal to our opposition.

pete
02/09/2003, 12:16 PM
City didn't really deserve to win on friday but hardly deserved to lose either. Suppose i'd be happy if was an away supporter too as usually don't care how we get away wins.

Shocking first goal given away by city. McPhee did well as the opportunist but all defensive mistakes.

McKeon as ref once again showed he is not capable of refereeing professional footballers. First half he booked another midfielder instead of Osam (who was later booked in the 2nd half & thereforte should have been off). It took him 70mins+ to cope onto Pats timewasting as he falied to get players stretched off for treatment. Blatant handball by Livingstone only a few feet away from McKeon unobstructed was let go (starnge he gave peno against City for incident in Waterford far less obvous) when he must have been only person in the ground not to notice. ref just let Pats players kick the crap out of City players anytime they got in space - O'Flynn, Doyle, Behan (couldn't continue) while being very slow to book anyone.

Pats won because they were more physical but is up to referees to protect the skillful players.

:(