Good man a face, can always depend on you

DRDoc
06/07/2008, 2:04 AM
Feck that - Im not a Dub, but keep it in Dublin

niallsparky
06/07/2008, 4:39 AM
FFs Why?

1. Because it's the capital?
2. Because it has the biggest population.
3. Because it has the best transport links.
4. Because it has more Eircom League clubs than any other city.
5. Because it has more Eircom League supporters than any other city.

5ForKeeps
06/07/2008, 7:19 AM

There is what's wrong with soccer in Ireland all confined within those 5 points.

ffs it would be beneficial for the FAI to spread the game across the country how about once every 2 years or so is played outside Dublin?

As for point 3 the best transport links, what a joke. The LUAS is the only good thing about Dublin at the mo. For a capital city, it is a hellhole.

Poor Student
06/07/2008, 7:39 AM
There is what's wrong with soccer in Ireland all confined within those 5 points.

An increasing proportion of the population is based in the state's capital, that's a reality that football's governing body can do nothing about.

ffs it would be beneficial for the FAI to spread the game across the country how about once every 2 years or so is played outside Dublin?

As above, the largest chunk of the country's population live in Dublin and its commutter belt, there's only so much spreading you can do outside it to have a viable club to population ratio.

As for point 3 the best transport links, what a joke. The LUAS is the only good thing about Dublin at the mo. For a capital city, it is a hellhole.

So you know somewhere in Ireland that's better connected to most points in the country?

Greenforever
06/07/2008, 9:14 AM
5 Dublin clubs last season acording to Foot.ie attendance guide averaged 7100 between then per home game.

2 Cork clubs averaged 3578.

I would say there is a better support for EL in Cork.

Thomond could be a great idea, bit of a novelty factor and may attract a lot more neutrals than a Dublin final would. Certainly it would do no harm, to give it a go.

ifk101
06/07/2008, 9:47 AM
AFAIK the seating capcity in the RDS is higher than what Thomond's will be.

There're also putting a roof on the seating opposite the grandstand in the RDS which is only good.

Dodge
06/07/2008, 10:43 AM
5 Dublin clubs last season acording to Foot.ie attendance guide averaged 7100 between then per home game.

2 Cork clubs averaged 3578.

I would say there is a better support for EL in Cork.

He didn't mentioned proportionally.

If the final is Derry v Sligo, logistically getting to Limerick is a nightmare. The real reason is transport

kingdomkerry
06/07/2008, 10:51 AM

If the final is Derry v Sligo, logistically getting to Limerick is a nightmare. The real reason is transport

N18 by road, Also served by air and rail. I live in Dublin and most dubs I speak to never seem to leave the dublin area. Theres another 31 counties.

Greenforever
06/07/2008, 11:29 AM

I assumed that would be undersood.

Maybe wait till the semi final stages to name the venue for the final.

Thomond will hold 26,000 when complete compared to RDS 20,000 approx.

osarusan
06/07/2008, 11:48 AM
Ideally, we would have a few stadiums around the country which are capable of holding a Cup final, and are easily accessible no matter which teams qualify for the final.

Unfortunately, that's just not the case, and is nowhere close to being the case.

If it is possible to choose a stadium to host the cup final after the finalists have been decided, then stadiums in cities other than Dublin would be an option. A Galway - Cork final could be relatively easily held in Limerick, for example. But if the stadium needs to be chosen well in advance, Dublin is the only realistic option.

Dodge
06/07/2008, 12:32 PM
N18 by road, Also served by air and rail. I live in Dublin and most dubs I speak to never seem to leave the dublin area. Theres another 31 counties.

Care to tell me how I can get from Sligo to Linerick by train?

Oh and I'm one of the dubs that travel the country to watch football.

JC_GUFC
06/07/2008, 1:26 PM

Oh and I'm one of the dubs that travel the country to watch football.

You get the train from Sligo to Dublin Connolly, get the Luas from there to Heuston, then get another train from Heuston to Limerick.

Some people... :rolleyes:

Allstar
06/07/2008, 2:04 PM
Ideally, we would have a few stadiums around the country which are capable of holding a Cup final, and are easily accessible no matter which teams qualify for the final.

Unfortunately, that's just not the case, and is nowhere close to being the case.

If it is possible to choose a stadium to host the cup final after the finalists have been decided, then stadiums in cities other than Dublin would be an option. A Galway - Cork final could be relatively easily held in Limerick, for example. But if the stadium needs to be chosen well in advance, Dublin is the only realistic option.

Galway in a final?? I'll see pigs fly first id say!!! :D:D:D

A face
06/07/2008, 2:20 PM
:rolleyes: x 1,000

Good man a face, can always depend on you

How dare i suggest moving it from Dublin, how dare i ... shame on me, what was i thinking ?? :rolleyes: x 1,001

A face
06/07/2008, 2:26 PM

And your point is what exactly? I dont know does anyone even care about the capital anymore, maybe a couple of decades ago for an older generation but not now. What difference does it make? I dunno what point your making but how about this, have it in Athlone because its the centre of the country? How can you possibly object to that?

And you point is? Will the population of Dublin be going to the final will they? How should this have an impact on where the final is held? If they are all so intent on go to the final cant they travel 1.5 hrs down the road to Limerick?

Last year when City were in the final 80% of fans travelled by hired coach, if there is a road to Limerick then there is no reason not to hold there. That leaves us with the question 'Is there a road to Limerick?' The M50 is a basket case study on how not to manage traffic and you want everyone to travel up to it. Get a grip

And they'll all be in the final so yeah, all eight of them, good man, excellent point there :rolleyes:

And they'll all go to the final so yeah? How can you say that will be the case. Last year, Longford and City in the Final, how many Dubs were there? Ball park figure, just to get an idea like?

A face
06/07/2008, 2:31 PM

Clutching at straws Dodge, You drive from Sligo to Limerick ... check it out on the map there for yourself.

Mr Maroon
06/07/2008, 2:42 PM
In case you hadn't noticed we're in a semi final

Dodge
06/07/2008, 3:46 PM
JC got the point, a face didn't.

I never mentioned rail, kingdom did. As the only Limerick man to post on this, have a read of osarusan' post. Might be too sensible for most here though

There are plenty of reasons for having it in Dublin, and as far as I can see the only reason to not have it in Dublin is, eh, to not have it in Dublin.

Terry
06/07/2008, 4:07 PM
Galway in a final?? I'll see pigs fly first id say!!!

HA ! As bad as or cup history is, i believe we stand better than your own club! Care to tell me your cup history? :rolleyes:

dcfcsteve
06/07/2008, 8:01 PM
It's a daft uidea taking the final out of Dublin.

It should only be considered if it's a pairing of two teams geographically far form Dublin yet close to each other : e.g City v Harps, Sligo v Galway etc.

Thomond Park would be damaging to the Final as a location, unless it involved two teams from Munster.

Paddyfield
06/07/2008, 8:57 PM

GUFC have been in 2 FAI Cup Finals and 3 League Cup Finals in the last three decades.

A face
07/07/2008, 9:40 AM
JC got the point, a face didn't.

No Dodge, JC agreed with your opinion and i didn't.

I never mentioned rail, kingdom did. As the only Limerick man to post on this, have a read of osarusan' post. Might be too sensible for most here though

I dont care who mentioned rail, because i already said that the majority of fans would travel via hired coach. Of course you can pick the most protracted route to somewhere and hold that up as a point against, but i'll discredit it and tell you that no one picks a route to complete a journey that is the longest path/hardest path, Dykstra would turn in his grave if you did.

I was on about Thomand Park ..... not the moon. Its a small island Dodge with every place being fairly accessible, no journey is insurmountable. Ye are clutching at straws in my opinion.

There are plenty of reasons for having it in Dublin, and as far as I can see the only reason to not have it in Dublin is, eh, to not have it in Dublin.

No again, you can name loads of reasons and i'd argue aganist it if the point doesn't hold up, and to date i haven't seen a point that does. What are these other reasons you mention. Are you afraid of change Dodge, is that the real reason behind this?

Do me a favour, answer this ... Why should it be outside of Dublin? Why shouldn't it be in Limerick?

A face
07/07/2008, 9:50 AM
Thomond Park would be damaging to the Final as a location

Why so? seriously why so.

I would have thought having it is a world class stadium would be far better than that crumbly kip that is the RDS.

I dont see anyone arguing against that funnily enough? Why? Because you wouldn't have a leg to stand on, Thomond Park WILL BE the best stadium for the final at that time. It SHOULD be held there if possible.

It is a brand new stadium, with brilliant stands and facilities.
It will have the most up to date media facilities.
It is serviced by an airport, train station and good roads that have never posed a problem in the past.
It is a ground that is well used to holding events of this size over the last 10 years or so.

bigmac
07/07/2008, 10:01 AM
And you point is? Will the population of Dublin be going to the final will they? How should this have an impact on where the final is held? If they are all so intent on go to the final cant they travel 1.5 hrs down the road to Limerick?

I'll go if it's in Dublin, but I won't be travelling an hour and a half if the Blues aren't in it. I'd imagine that many other neutrals will be in the same position.

pete
07/07/2008, 10:02 AM
I think Thomond is a viable option as only in Ireland would thew RDS be considered a good facility. Three uncovered temporary stands in November. :eek:

I am not even sure if attendance would be any worse for two Dublin clubs as numbers will be low for the RDS anyway.

Latest pictures of Thomond (http://www.munsterrugby.ie/80_8270.php)

A face
07/07/2008, 10:43 AM
I'll go if it's in Dublin, but I won't be travelling an hour and a half if the Blues aren't in it. I'd imagine that many other neutrals will be in the same position.

Thats my point, there would be very few people attend a game if their club isn't in it. There could be 2,368 clubs in Dublin and there still will only be two clubs in the final, unless they change the rules beforehand.

osarusan
07/07/2008, 12:54 PM
you can name loads of reasons

Name them. What are they?

Thomond Park is a good stadium, granted, but it's not the only option.

The only reason I can see is to give fans outside Dublin a chance to have a cup final in their area.

RĂ©iteoir
07/07/2008, 1:04 PM
and that's why God created the Munster Senior Cup

skitz3
07/07/2008, 1:28 PM
Honest to god, the inferiority complex from the Langers on here is embarrassing.

A face
07/07/2008, 1:50 PM
Thomond Park is a good stadium, granted, but it's not the only option.

Where else? Can you name possible grounds

The only reason I can see is to give fans outside Dublin a chance to have a cup final in their area.

Ah no, what about having it in a World Class Stadium? Is that not enough reason. Sheeze people who are saying 'Dublin or nothing' aren't giving us much reason to credit them with a response.

and that's why God created the Munster Senior Cup

No, not the MSC anymore .... its the CCFCSC, its our cup ... we just let others have it every now and again.

Honest to god, the inferiority complex from the Langers on here is embarrassing.

That would be superiority complex, you know how it works dont you .... it better therefore its superior. You should have paid more attention in school instead of just looking out the window.

Still no valid credible plausible reason to have it anywhere other than Thomond.

Why Dublin? I dunno do you have to say it out load over and over to yourself or what but some people need to put in an extra special effort on this one. When you are asked a question ...... what comes next ...... come on ..... you can do it, i know you can .... i have great faith in you ..... what comes next .... YES, the answer. We'll give it a go shall we?

Why Dublin? Why not somewhere better .... like Thomond?

pete
07/07/2008, 1:57 PM
I have changed my mind. The cost of staging a final in Limerick with Dublin teams would be prohibitive as would need to supply Sat Nav to all those traveling.

A face
07/07/2008, 2:05 PM
I have changed my mind. The cost of staging a final in Limerick with Dublin teams would be prohibitive as would need to supply Sat Nav to all those traveling.

Or they could stick the ball up their jumper saying 'its my ball and i'm not playing' and none of them leave the pale. Talk about not getting outside your comfort zone, and to be fair, with that in mind it could be a great learning experience for the Dubs

"Anto, wha daya meaon wez goin fur-thar? My mate Deco sez da if yez go too far down da Naaser [dual carriageway] da yez fall aff de edge of da worald n'all. He sez da his mate Grego, Stevo, Trevo and Sparrow went out dar woune and wear never seen again" :eek:

mypost
07/07/2008, 2:11 PM
We could all call a truce and hold the final in Lissywoolen.:D

Macy
07/07/2008, 2:12 PM
Or they could stick the ball up their jumper
Perfect for Thomond Park?

It'd only make sense if at least one of the clubs is from Munster, otherwise it's a stupid idea. Unless it's all been lies about public transport links in the west the whole time - no need for a western rail corridor, no need for a western motorway etc etc.

Bald Student
07/07/2008, 2:13 PM
I think Thomond is a viable option as only in Ireland would thew RDS be considered a good facility. Three uncovered temporary stands in November. :eek:There are a lot more uncovered spots in Thomond than the RDS.

The two stadia are of similar size and facilities. It'd be nice for me if the game was held in the one I can walk to from home but I didn't go last year and probably won't go this year so i won't get myself worked up about it.

A face
07/07/2008, 2:27 PM

It'd only make sense if at least one of the clubs is from Munster, otherwise it's a stupid idea. Unless it's all been lies about public transport links in the west the whole time - no need for a western rail corridor, no need for a western motorway etc etc.

Nonsense, look at the map (http://www.mysecureform.com/iismaps/smallmap.jpg), Galway Waterford, Athlone, Longford, Kildare, all the Dublin clubs can all get to it grand, Sligo, Harps and Derry would have a bit further to go but worth it for a World Class Stadium

There are a lot more uncovered spots in Thomond than the RDS.

No there isn't, last year we got soaked. Ask any of us that were there last year do we want to have the same again this year. We want to go to a proper stadium, like Thomond this year.

The two stadia are of similar size and facilities.

No they're not ....

Thomond -> 26,000 - 17,000 seated and covered
Royal Dublin Society -> 18,000 -> all seater, 8050 covered

Thomond has two terraces at each goal as well, which is great for a cup final.

It'd be nice for me if the game was held in the one I can walk to from home but I didn't go last year and probably won't go this year so i won't get myself worked up about it.

Exactly my point, why are Dublin fans getting worked up when there is only a chance of two clubs getting there. The rest wont bother, same as last year.

Bald Student
07/07/2008, 2:44 PM
No there isn't, last year we got soaked. Ask any of us that were there last year do we want to have the same again this year. We want to go to a proper stadium, like Thomond this year.

Thomond -> 26,000 - 17,000 seated and covered
Royal Dublin Society -> 18,000 -> all seater, 8050 covered

Thomond has two terraces at each goal as well, which is great for a cup final.
There's a roof on the 2 main stands in the RDS now* and whether you get soaked in the goal end stands with no roof depends entirely on whether it rains. It's not in any way logical to say that you got soaked at a match in Dublin so therefore the uncovered terrace in Limerick will be much better.

Also, the RDS has 2 small terraces which the FAI had closed on the day of the FAI Cup. I presume this was to make the place look fuller but that's only a guess.

*When I say 'now' I mean after the horse show when the stand is put back up.

Macy
07/07/2008, 2:45 PM
Nonsense, look at the map (http://www.mysecureform.com/iismaps/smallmap.jpg), Galway Waterford, Athlone, Longford, Kildare, all the Dublin clubs can all get to it grand, Sligo, Harps and Derry would have a bit further to go but worth it for a World Class Stadium
I'm telling you now, it's alot easier to get from Longford and Athlone to Dublin than it is to get to Limerick (and I know people that would've commutted weekly to Limerick from Longford). I can't believe the quality of the stadium would make it worth the hassle for Sligo, Harps or Derry either.

Like it or not, every club's fan base at cup finals is bolstered by part timers - why would you make it harder for these people to go to the match? Why would it be better to have it in a better, but even emptier stadium? The overriding factor is ease of access, not quality of stadium. Biggest problem for the cup final is the timing, not the stadium.

osarusan
07/07/2008, 2:56 PM
Like it or not, every club's fan base at cup finals is bolstered by part timers - why would you make it harder for these people to go to the match? Why would it be better to have it in a better, but even emptier stadium? The overriding factor is ease of access, not quality of stadium. Biggest problem for the cup final is the timing, not the stadium.

exactly, exactly.

L37Ultra
07/07/2008, 2:58 PM

It'd only make sense if at least one of the clubs is from Munster, otherwise it's a stupid idea. .

But none of the Clubs last year were from Dublin and the final was held in Dublin, so whats your point?

Macy
07/07/2008, 3:01 PM
But none of the Clubs last year were from Dublin and the final was held in Dublin, so whats your point?
That it's easier to travel to Dublin, than Limerick, from most parts of the country? I already said it's a lot easier to get from Longford to Dublin than it is Longford to Limerick. By at least an hour and half (or twice as long to put it another way) by car/ bus. There is no train link.

micls
07/07/2008, 3:03 PM
Is it possible to provisionally book 2 stadiums, then depending on the teams choose.

Macy's point is spot on, but using that point I think we'd get a much bigger crowd in Limerick were we to be in the final. Of course it depends who else was in it.

The only reason I would see for moving it from Dublin would be to get non-EL fans to notice that there's a league/cup and a final on near them. If it were say in Limerick, you might get a bit of a crowd of locals come along for the day out, making them aware of the league and possibly will look to go to other games.

Ideally imo we'd have 4 stadiums good enough to hold it North, South East and West, and spread it around to give every section of the country a chance to host the final and try to make a really big deal out of it every 4 years in that area. Make them feel like it is their league/cup. Give local schools/teams free tickets etc. Make a huge event of it with local media.

Of course it mightnt work, but it would be worth a try to raise the profile imo. There are too many peope that dont know of the league, or dont feel any affinity to it, be it becuase of the promotion of the league, or not having a club in their area etc.

Anyway this isnt really feasible, but we can dream

osarusan
07/07/2008, 3:14 PM
Sligo - Limerick (http://www.irishrail.ie/your_journey/timetables_junction1.asp?txtFromStation=sligo&txtToStation=limerick&RadioOutDirect=all&OutSelectDay=07&OutSelectMonth=07&RadioOutStatus=D&OutFromTime=15&OutToTime=19&cmdSubmit.x=0&cmdSubmit.y=0&RadioReserve=1&NumPass=01&optionWalk=yes&optionBus=yes&hidOutDate=&hidRtnDate=)

Galway - Limerick (http://www.irishrail.ie/your_journey/timetables_junction1.asp?txtFromStation=galway&txtToStation=limerick&RadioOutDirect=all&FromStations=NULL&OutSelectDay=07&OutSelectMonth=07&RadioOutStatus=D&OutFromTime=16&OutToTime=20&cmdSubmit.x=0&cmdSubmit.y=0&optionWalk=yes&optionBus=yes&hidOutDate=&hidRtnDate=)

Dundalk - Limerick (http://www.irishrail.ie/your_journey/timetables_junction1.asp?txtFromStation=dundalk&txtToStation=limerick&RadioOutDirect=all&FromStations=NULL&OutSelectDay=07&OutSelectMonth=07&RadioOutStatus=D&OutFromTime=16&OutToTime=20&cmdSubmit.x=0&cmdSubmit.y=0&optionWalk=yes&optionBus=yes&hidOutDate=&hidRtnDate=)

Longford - Limerick (http://www.irishrail.ie/your_journey/timetables_junction1.asp?txtFromStation=longford&txtToStation=limerick&RadioOutDirect=all&FromStations=NULL&OutSelectDay=07&OutSelectMonth=07&RadioOutStatus=D&OutFromTime=16&OutToTime=20&cmdSubmit.x=0&cmdSubmit.y=0&optionWalk=yes&optionBus=yes&hidOutDate=&hidRtnDate=)

Wexford - Limerick (http://www.irishrail.ie/your_journey/timetables_junction1.asp?txtFromStation=wexford&txtToStation=limerick&RadioOutDirect=all&FromStations=NULL&OutSelectDay=07&OutSelectMonth=07&RadioOutStatus=D&OutFromTime=16&OutToTime=20&cmdSubmit.x=0&cmdSubmit.y=0&optionWalk=yes&optionBus=yes&hidOutDate=&hidRtnDate=)

Like it or not, A Face, but as Macy said, a final in Limerick would make travelling a lot more hassle for the majority of fans, apart from the Munster teams, or maybe Galway. Your agument that most fans will travel by coach is based on Cork City last year, which is hardly conclusive. A final in Thomond Park would mean a lot of fans would travel by coach I imagine, given the horrible train alternative.

All for a "world class stadium" with 9,000 uncovered seats in late October or early November.

pete
07/07/2008, 3:38 PM
All for a "world class stadium" with 9,000 uncovered seats in late October or early November.

I don't know I would call Thomond World Class but compared to the RDS it probably is. I cannot overstate how miserable the RDS is on a wet windy winters day, it made me long for Tolka or old Lansdowne. To get to your seat you have to walk in mud/grass & everything from seats to facilities are temporary.

Thomond has already been mentioned by the FAI as a potential venue.

Steve Bruce
07/07/2008, 3:44 PM
Give Linfield a few k and we will host your cup final at Windsor :D

pete
07/07/2008, 4:00 PM
Give Linfield a few k and we will host your cup final at Windsor :D

No thanks. RDS has better facilities :eek:

I would think a very low percentage of people traveling to Cup Final go by rail.

bigmac
07/07/2008, 4:17 PM
Thats my point, there would be very few people attend a game if their club isn't in it. There could be 2,368 clubs in Dublin and there still will only be two clubs in the final, unless they change the rules beforehand.

I think you may have misunderstood me - I'll go to it in Dublin regardless of who's in it, but I'd only travel to see my own team.

holidaysong
07/07/2008, 4:25 PM
I think you may have misunderstood me - I'll go to it in Dublin regardless of who's in it, but I'd only travel to see my own team.

I'd be the same. More people living in Dublin, therefore a better chance of neutrals showing up.