PDA

View Full Version : IFA Championship & Interim League line-ups

AnnaghRed
04/07/2008, 8:41 PM
THE Irish Football Association is pleased to officially confirm the name of Northern Ireland's second tier of football as the 'IFA Championship'.
The Intermediate Committee at a meeting last evening endorsed the recommendation that the 'Premier Intermediate League' become known as the 'IFA Championship' and look forward to an exciting new season.

At the same meeting the Intermediate Committee confirmed the seventeen member clubs as follows:

Ards
Armagh City
Ballinamallard United
Ballyclare Comrades
Ballymoney United
Banbridge Town
Carrick Rangers
Coagh United
Dergview
Donegal Celtic
Glebe Rangers
Killymoon Rangers
Larne
Limavady United
Loughgall
Portadown
Tobermore United

There will be a new logo design for the Championship which will be unveiled in due course.

Jim Shaw, Chairman of the Intermediate Committee, comments on the new image and name, "I think it is a welcome change and development for intermediate football in Northern Ireland. It gives the clubs and the competition a level of prestige and complements the IFA Premiership."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The IFA Interim League will consist of the following 12 clubs:-

Annagh United
Brantwood
Chimney Corner
Dundela
HW Welders
Lurgan Celtic
Moyola Park
Oxford United Stars
Portstewart
PSNI
Queens University
Wakehurst

http://www.irishpremierleague.com/news040708_1.htm

AnnaghRed
04/07/2008, 8:58 PM
Not only has the new dawn managed to remove established clubs with a credible fan-base from the top flight, give the "Interim" league an easily managed 12 teams while the "Championship" [:D] gets an unwieldy 17 [seventeen, and probably as many cup competitions], but they've also managed to drag Killymoon Rangers from the mid ulster premier division A* into the equation.

*About 3 tiers below last years 2nd division in ye olde pyramid system

As a football fan i sincerely hope it all works out, but i've a feeling we'll be back at the drawing board within 2 seasons, which is probably how long it'll take to sort next seasons "championship" out!

Graemerz
06/07/2008, 11:29 AM
Its a bit of a drop for Dundela who over the years have been one of the better teams in the First Division. They really should be in the Championship ahead of Killymoon Rangers.

Its a shame the likes of Linfield Swifts, Glentoran II's and Cliftonville Strollers couldn't enter the Interim League.

holidaysong
07/07/2008, 11:09 AM
What is the story with Interim clubs after this coming season - they either get their house in order and join the Championship or they go off to regional leagues?

Graemerz
07/07/2008, 8:23 PM
What is the story with Interim clubs after this coming season - they either get their house in order and join the Championship or they go off to regional leagues?

I think so. Basically the interim league is for clubs wishing to enter the Championship. It doesn't matter if you win the league so obviously the best plan of action is to spend any money you have on your ground and not on players.

Basically any of the clubs that reach the required criteria will join the Championship next year. It could make up to a maximum 32 teams. From those 32 teams they will split into two leagues. Not quite sure if this will be a Division One/Two scenario as usual or what.

I like the idea of splitting two leagues regionally and then at the end of the season have a big playoff at Mourneview or Seaview with the winners being guaranteed promotion to the Premiership.