PDA

View Full Version : Astro six aside leagues

lionelhutz
03/07/2008, 3:03 PM
Hi lads,

Not sure if this is the right forum to start this thread on but just wondering does anyone play the six a side astro leagues around Ireland? If so how competitive do you find your one?

I play in one of the divisions in Limerick - website is www.astro.ie - and there's loads of divisions in Dublin, Cork, Tipperary and Galway. I find ours very competitive and a great alternative to the 11 aside junior league where 95% of the time the ball is being hoofed downfield. I also play the junior league by the way but I find the six aside a refreshing change. What are other players opinions on it?

gilberto_eire
03/07/2008, 3:51 PM
I played one game there 2 weeks ago as cover for a few friends, had entered a team with another fella and the day we were meant to play our FIRST game, the other five players ALL pulled out:rolleyes:, back training in 2/3 weeks anyway so would'nt have time to play after that

What kind of pitches ye play on down there?

Only place that has a couple of pitches is the Drom(Salthill Devon's, bout 10 cages) and the cages up there have the small ''Box goals'' 2/3 foot high, 4/5 foot wide, would be better if it was played with bigger goals, i assume it depends on the facilities in your area?

deecay
03/07/2008, 4:00 PM
I play in the 6 a side leisure league in the showgrounds,good craic when you are playing teams you know and very competitive but a bit expensive

KevB76
03/07/2008, 6:35 PM
A few of us from the L37 supporters club did the Leisure Leagues one in Limerick a short while back. The standard varied hugely from utter crap (us) to very skilled (the top team included John Tierney and Shane Barry of L37 fame) but there were a few other sides who could mix it with them. Basically there was a good mix so you would get the occasional thrashing but there were plenty at our level as well. I would definitely recommend it. It cost a fiver each per week.

sligoman
03/07/2008, 7:47 PM
It cost a fiver each per week.For 26mins of football, state of it.

monutdfc
04/07/2008, 8:28 AM
I played in the Sunday 6-a-side league in Dublin for several years. Top standard. Probably got better when they reduced it to 5-a-side. Played with and against a number of eL players in their close-season (including one who broke my ribs; but he did apologise - said he didn't realise it was me until after he'd done it). Loved it. I was just plodder at the back who would give it to the young lads to work their magic. Team disbanded when 2 of the guys got called up to the army.

Billsthoughts
04/07/2008, 9:29 AM
Played in the astro league in Benildus in stillorgan. was competitive enough but hard enough to keep getting the players to turn up every week. as well as that if you dont have a good goalie ya may forget about it!!!

lionelhutz
04/07/2008, 10:21 AM
I played one game there 2 weeks ago as cover for a few friends, had entered a team with another fella and the day we were meant to play our FIRST game, the other five players ALL pulled out:rolleyes:, back training in 2/3 weeks anyway so would'nt have time to play after that

What kind of pitches ye play on down there?

Only place that has a couple of pitches is the Drom(Salthill Devon's, bout 10 cages) and the cages up there have the small ''Box goals'' 2/3 foot high, 4/5 foot wide, would be better if it was played with bigger goals, i assume it depends on the facilities in your area?

Our pitches are the same. We play in Castletroy College on astro grass (its longer than astro turf which makes the pitch softer) with the same box goals and in cages. It's great craic - very competitive in the top division - I think there's 4 divisions in Limerick.

The fact that it isn't stop start like 11 aside appeals to me too - ball is in play for the full hour practically (it's half hour each half). It does seem expensive enough - it's €980 to enter a team - but we have nine players who pay just under 110 each and there's 21 games a season so it works out bout a fiver a game which is what you'd pay for any 5 aside.

John83
04/07/2008, 10:28 AM
Played in the astro league in Benildus in stillorgan. was competitive enough but hard enough to keep getting the players to turn up every week. as well as that if you dont have a good goalie ya may forget about it!!!
A bunch of UCD fans entered that too - we god slaughtered every week. Granted though, we're not very good, but the standard seems to be high there.

Billsthoughts
04/07/2008, 12:03 PM
stalker...;)
We were called TD Nordiques...I think we cornered the market on Mid Table respectability.

monutdfc
04/07/2008, 12:11 PM
We were in Benildus too - Red Star Wagamama

Wolfie
04/07/2008, 12:26 PM
Play at Coolock astro.

The Horndogs :cool: :rolleyes:

Currently recovering from a fractured hand in a recent Astro related incident...............