PDA

View Full Version : Best Album Of.....1988

Pages : [1] 2

jebus
03/07/2008, 2:16 PM
Since so many of you whinged (two in fact, but I like to run a happy ship), since I liked this idea, and since the result of the all in one poll resulted in an unfavourable win (to me) of an Oasis album (Lisbon Treaty Lessons: Vol One), so heres your first poll for 1988. 9 of the best albums from that year, if your favourite isn't on it click other and vote for it in the thread. If enough people vote for that album in the thread and it has the highest number of people wanting it to win then it will win and go on to the next round. One poll a week leading up to the best of this year sometime in November and then the fireworks will begin :)

Pauro 76
03/07/2008, 2:20 PM
Fantastic idea! Nice little musical journey through the ages too. Nice one! :)

centre mid
03/07/2008, 2:25 PM
at least 3 of my favourite top 25 albums are there, I've gone with and justice for all because its such an important album for the whole genre of trash metal, but could have been Pixies or Sonic Youth............

Good man Jebus.....dont let the b*astards bring you down.

jebus
03/07/2008, 3:16 PM
Whoever's voting other remember to put down what that album is if you want it counted

Pauro 76
03/07/2008, 3:28 PM
Stuck down And Justice For All, definitely Metallica's best. Bon Jovi in the list? Can't wait for 1989. Hang on wasnt Stone Roses first album '88 or '89?

jebus
03/07/2008, 3:33 PM
Stuck down And Justice For All, definitely Metallica's best. Bon Jovi in the list? Can't wait for 1989. Hang on wasnt Stone Roses first album '88 or '89?

1989 for Stone Roses, Bon Jovi sold millions of that record, and still live off the back of a lot of the tracks on it so it went on the list even though I personally wouldn't be a fan. Ditto Metallica for me

holidaysong
03/07/2008, 3:37 PM
Pixies - Surfer Rosa!

Lionel Ritchie
03/07/2008, 3:47 PM
I voted for And Justice For All as well but as I was 14/15 and still very much in Singles mode back then I've always considered 1988 something of a musical nuclear winter.

All my favourite bands had just broken up (Housemartins, Smiths and HMHB), I'd yet to discover metal, there was horrible, horrible pop-dance euro-disco everywhere you looked or listened.

For all that there were some other bloody good records released in 1988 including The Wonderstuff -Eight Legged Groove Machine -a towering blistering debut LP. The Proclaimers -Sunshine On Leith -no difficult 2nd Album syndrome here -every tune a gem. Andy White -Kiss the Big Stone an tragically under-rated record by the Belfast Bard.

Billsthoughts
03/07/2008, 4:21 PM
The Waterboys - Fishermans Blues.

stann
03/07/2008, 4:56 PM
Probably should have went for Daydream Nation, or more likely Surfer Rosa from the list, as there was no option for My Bloody Valentine's Isn't Anything, or the one I am actually voting for, Life's Too Good from The Sugarcubes.

Marked Man
03/07/2008, 6:01 PM
Other: Pogues: If I should Fall from Grace with God.
With an honorable mention to The Fall: The Frenz Experiment

superfrank
03/07/2008, 8:27 PM
NWA..

jebus
03/07/2008, 9:03 PM
I voted for Leonard Cohen by the by

Wangball
03/07/2008, 9:46 PM
Big Leonard got my vote and all

noby
03/07/2008, 10:38 PM
Good call on The Fall, The Wonderstuff and My Bloody Valentine, but I'm going for:

Other: The Proclaimers - Sunshine on Leith

Honourable mention to American Music Club - California

stann
04/07/2008, 1:17 AM
Jesus, forgot The Fall, my favourite album of theirs too, lightweight that I am.
Am still right on the Sugarcubes though...
:D

Marked Man
04/07/2008, 2:21 AM
Btw, Allmusic.com have NWA's 'Compton' as a 1989 release.

cheifo
04/07/2008, 3:28 AM
Public Enemy-at the time it was wonderful.

Sligo Hornet
04/07/2008, 7:27 AM
I remember 1988 vividly, as my son was born in June, and I was listening to U2 Rattle and Hum....so that has to get my vote!

Billsthoughts
04/07/2008, 8:18 AM
Other: Pogues: If I should Fall from Grace with God.
With an honorable mention to The Fall: The Frenz Experiment

Yeah I was gonna go for the Pogues one but i think it was 1987.great album tho. First one I ever bought.

jebus
04/07/2008, 8:21 AM
Btw, Allmusic.com have NWA's 'Compton' as a 1989 release.

They're wrong though, check the back of the album.

Surprised Sonic Youth haven't got any votes yet, possibly suffering the same fate it did on my lost, being ranked 2nd or 3rd of the year, but not having the quality to reach the top. Public Enemy's album is far superior to NWA in my book too

Wolfie
04/07/2008, 12:14 PM
Went for Surfer Rosa.

Honourable mentions to:

The House of Love - The House of Love
Happy Mondays - Bummed

jebus
04/07/2008, 12:25 PM
The Pogues - If I Should Fall From The Grace Of God is discounted because it wasn't released in 1988. Release date was June 1987 lads so if you're voting other make sure the album was issued in that year

Billsthoughts
04/07/2008, 12:28 PM
Maybe it would have made more sense to have a nominations thread....then follow that with a voting thread....or maybe a link to top 40 albums of the year in question as some sort of criteria....(I tried googling it but couldnt find anything but singles...)

jebus
04/07/2008, 12:40 PM
Maybe it would have made more sense to have a nominations thread....then follow that with a voting thread....or maybe a link to top 40 albums of the year in question as some sort of criteria....(I tried googling it but couldnt find anything but singles...)

That would take too long and clutter up the music forum. I was hesitant about doing this at all because it will mean having 27 polls between now and the end of the year to sort it out, adding an extra 20 nomination threads would swamp the forum. I think the other option and nominating in the thread will work cause someone has to make a decision on the final list eventually anyway and cut it down to 10. This way if you nominate an album that wasn't shortlisted and enough people agree with you then it goes through

To be honest I found lists a plenty by just googling best albums of 1988 so I don't know what you're typing in, and if people can't be bothered to look up what year an album they are nominating was released in than I'm just not going to include their vote, simple as really

noby
04/07/2008, 12:52 PM
A top 40 albums might not cover them all, but it would be a good starting point.

You could run a knockout tournament; a bit of fun used I've on other forums that wil give an overall "winner".
Start a nominations thread, with a time limit of, say, three days. People nominate albums from the given year with each person given up to five nominations. At the end of this pick the 16 most popular, someone holds a random draw, and then the knockout tournament begins. So for example the draw might throw up the fixture:
Pixies - Surfer Rosa v NWA - Straight Outta Compton

and people vote on which album from each fixture is their favourite. With a two day time limit on each round the whole tournament can be run in just over a week.
(I'm very tired today, so forgive me if I posted this on the other thread already).

Just a bit of fun, and not very scientific.

noby
04/07/2008, 12:59 PM
jebus - just a thought: I'm sure we're more than capable of voting on multiple years at the same time, so it doesn't necessarily have to be one year each week, stretching out until Christmas.

jebus
04/07/2008, 12:59 PM
Don't like the tournament idea as you could end up with something average like The Strokes - Is This It going far, whereas something like Radiohead - OK Computer could go out first round to the Stone Roses. Mod foot coming down on this one

jebus - just a thought: I'm sure we're more than capable of voting on multiple years at the same time, so it doesn't necessarily have to be one year each week, stretching out until Christmas.

Had thought of that alright. Might put up 2 a week but thats it, don't want the thread to be just about this poll so I don't want a front page consisting of 20 polls and the music exchange thread

noby
04/07/2008, 1:04 PM
Don't like the tournament idea as you could end up with something average like The Strokes - Is This It going far, whereas something like Radiohead - OK Computer could go out first round to the Stone Roses. Mod foot coming down on this one

Isn't that the beauty of a knockout tournament though? The underdog? Muddy pitches? Jumpers for goalposts? Mmm.

Ok maybe not for something as 'serious' as this project, but maybe as a sideline.

jebus
04/07/2008, 1:15 PM
Isn't that the beauty of a knockout tournament though? The underdog? Muddy pitches? Jumpers for goalposts? Mmm.

It is in cup competitions, this is more of a league to find THE best album though :)

noby
04/07/2008, 1:25 PM
Whatever you say, Sepp. ;)

Actually, with your new found powers can you modify the poll? If one of the 'others' is in the running it would be nice to have it added to the poll properly, and maybe dumping out one of the rejects instead (I'm looking at you, Sonic Youth)

jebus
04/07/2008, 1:29 PM
Actually, with your new found powers can you modify the poll? If one of the 'others' is in the running it would be nice to have it added to the poll properly, and maybe dumping out one of the rejects instead (I'm looking at you, Sonic Youth)

One of the other isn't yet though. The Pogues would have been a worthy addition as it has been nominated 3 times, but that's been discounted. All the rest have been nominated once, and usually by people who have voted for something else in the poll and then given other titles as ones that were good, so they wouldn't count either

noby
04/07/2008, 1:35 PM
Fair enough. I was just too lazy to do the maths myself.

For the benefit of the narky amongst us, I wasn't actually too lazy, but thought it might make the poll more readily readable. Not relevant, obviously.

Billsthoughts
04/07/2008, 2:11 PM
Sorry I thought it was just a bit of craic....I didnt know there was so much riding on this...:D
Would ya not just stick the pogues in? It would have four votes at this stage
!

noby
04/07/2008, 2:19 PM
Jebus, where's your June 1987 reference coming from for the Pogues? Wikipedia?
The Pogues own site says Jan 1988, and allmusic has 1988 too.

kingdom hoop
04/07/2008, 2:25 PM
Wiki and Discogs say '88 as well. Sack the mod! :p

Just in case you weren't messing up there Bill, in fairness a line has to be drawn somewhere so someone's choice will always be left out of the actual poll. The 'vote Other and name in thread' option is a fair alternative rather than Jebus going through nominations and picking his favourites. You'll always need an 'Other' option so it's easiest to put the 10 or so most likely choices in the poll and take it from there.

Elsewhere, I think one a week is a good idea as that gives people time to vote and just as importantly to discuss why the album is so good, what it means to them, why it's better than the others, and so on. Hopefully the teething problems can be resolved this week and there'll be no more crankiness. :p

Now. Back to the music ffs. :)

jebus
04/07/2008, 2:29 PM
Jebus, where's your June 1987 reference coming from for the Pogues? Wikipedia?
The Pogues own site says Jan 1988, and allmusic has 1988 too.

Looked up the Pogues - Fall From....on Wiki and they gave June 1987

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/If_I_Should_Fall_from_Grace_with_God

Link the official site and I'll include it, since allmusic were wrong about the NWA I'm not taking dates from them

Billsthoughts
04/07/2008, 2:29 PM
just messin KH.
Can I change my vote to the pogues please, If as now proved correct Jebus cant use google......:D

kingdom hoop
04/07/2008, 2:34 PM
Looked up the Pogues - Fall From....on Wiki and they gave June 1987

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/If_I_Should_Fall_from_Grace_with_God

I think a Pixies lover here changed that to throw you off. :D

jebus
04/07/2008, 2:36 PM
just messin KH.
Can I change my vote to the pogues please, If as now proved correct Jebus cant use google......:D

Says the man who doesn't realise that to google best albums of 1988 he has to type in best albums of 1988, not best singles :D

Billsthoughts
04/07/2008, 2:41 PM
that was a freebie...

noby
04/07/2008, 5:36 PM
Stiff Records CDNYR-1 (January 1988)
WEA (Pogue Mahone NYR1)
Island 90872-2 (Different Cover) (http://www.pogues.com/Releases/Disco/LPs.html)

Lionel Ritchie
04/07/2008, 9:02 PM
Has anyone mentioned Morrisseys debut Viva Hate. I'm on record on this very forum as pointing out I was quite unimpressed with Suedehead when it came out ...and to this day think he was threading water with it -but Every Day is Like Sunday? Man what a song! ...and that wan in the vid -I'd have slipped my hand up her blousey t-shirt at a glance. If she'd had let me -which she surely wouldn't.

noby
05/07/2008, 6:59 AM
Has anyone mentioned Morrissey's debut Viva Hate.

I don't think so . Not forgotten though, just not a great album. Despite the fact that the two singles deserve a mention (yes, the two of them) there were better albums that year, and better Morrissey albums to come. It was a good debut though; solid without being spectacular.

Marked Man
05/07/2008, 8:21 PM
They're wrong though, check the back of the album.

Shame you didn't try this strategy for the Pogues album.

Billsthoughts
06/07/2008, 7:06 PM
Its sad that indie by numbers tat like surfer rosa is winning.

Pauro 76
06/07/2008, 7:08 PM
Dont know about you but im looking forward to 1994 Best Albums. So many classics to choose from and i daresay the winner of this competition will be from that year.

stann
06/07/2008, 7:55 PM

Am wondering if this is the most ludicrous comment I've ever read on here.
Care to elucidate on exactly which indie tat they were doing by the numbers? In 1988??
How is it their fault, or how does it change how good the album is that a pile of no-mark bands have ripped them off wholesale in the subsequent years?
You might as well hold Mavis Reilly responsible for Les Dennis. :p

jebus
06/07/2008, 9:35 PM
Shame you didn't try this strategy for the Pogues album.

Even bigger shame is that I don't give a **** about the Pogues

Wolfie
07/07/2008, 7:33 AM

Surfer Rosa was an original album 20 years ago. There's nothing "by numbers" in that record.

Their influence has been far reaching. Many bands have based their entire careers on ripping off the Pixies sound which over time has lessened the impact of the band and muddied the water as to the bands originality.