PDA

View Full Version : FAI Administration - 2008

A face
02/07/2008, 10:00 PM
Heres the question ...

The FAI's administration of the league as it stands in 2008, aside from clubs individual situations, what should/shouldn't they be doing, and what do you think needs addressing in the short, mid and long term to ensure the league is a viable product that will progress and attract more support from local communities.

Just a snapshot of where we are at right now.

pateen
03/07/2008, 11:38 AM
That’s the biggest question everyone is asking.

I think MNS is a great idea.
Progress in Europe is one way of generating interest of course.
e.g. should drogs get to the third round past Dynamo Kiev this year then people would come out to watch them against their local team.

I have a list as long as my arm of ideas but most of them wouldn’t lead to a trickle of people through the gate.

kdjaC
03/07/2008, 7:50 PM
e.g. should drogs get to the third round past Dynamo Kiev this year then people would come out to watch them against their local team.

In Dalymount :confused:

No asterix on the league this season would be enough for me. (unless Pats win it by said asterix :D )

kdjac

pineapple stu
03/07/2008, 7:57 PM
Progress in Europe is one way of generating interest of course.

If beating a team of the calibre of Kiev is what it'd take to get Joe Premiership to games, the league doesn't have a chance.

Not that I disagree with you though.

stann
04/07/2008, 12:31 AM
Always a bugbear with me, and I'm acutely aware of the irony so you needn't comment on it :D , but good pitches are a must.
A bad pitch will make an moderate player look rubbish, a good player look mediocre, and only feeds into the barstoolers image of the average LoI player.
It's a small thing maybe, and there are many other infrastructural problems of course, but I would like to see a minimum standard set across the board, perhaps by way of licencing, it strikes me as a relatively easy thing to get done.

Further investment in MNS, if that's what's required to keep it going beyond this season, is another thing I'd like to see. It's quite an important programme, as a well made highlights programme, on at a peak time, is a great way to suggest to some of the vast number of footie fans in the country that they might be missing something, and may convince some waverers. In a country full of event junkies anything that suggests that there are EVENTS going on on their doorsteps can do no harm at all. I'd imagine that it would be a bit of a slow burner, as the vast majority of the viewers would be converts already, but if Joe ManU sees it this week because there's nothing else on and thinks it wasn't bad, then sees it again in a month's time and enjoys it again, then maybe the next time his Bohs supporting mate tries to drag him to a game he might be better disposed to going along.
Advertising campaigns that hammer home a message that they don't have to choose between us and the Premiership would be another thing to look into.

pete
04/07/2008, 11:22 AM
If beating a team of the calibre of Kiev is what it'd take to get Joe Premiership to games, the league doesn't have a chance.

They would probably mention that Kiev lost all their CL group stage games last year as reason why they are rubbish.

Duggie
04/07/2008, 11:26 AM
the only way to get people out would be if the premier league in england folded and the country disappeared.:confused:

A face
04/07/2008, 11:26 PM
Always a bugbear with me, and I'm acutely aware of the irony so you needn't comment on it :D , but good pitches are a must.
A bad pitch will make an moderate player look rubbish, a good player look mediocre, and only feeds into the barstoolers image of the average LoI player.
It's a small thing maybe, and there are many other infrastructural problems of course, but I would like to see a minimum standard set across the board, perhaps by way of licencing, it strikes me as a relatively easy thing to get done.

Thats a great point actually, i cant recall a minimum standard being required in the licensing (could be wrong, just cant recall) and you would think that it being the most important part of the infrastructure that it would have been included

Further investment in MNS, if that's what's required to keep it going beyond this season, is another thing I'd like to see. It's quite an important programme, as a well made highlights programme, on at a peak time, is a great way to suggest to some of the vast number of footie fans in the country that they might be missing something, and may convince some waverers. In a country full of event junkies anything that suggests that there are EVENTS going on on their doorsteps can do no harm at all. I'd imagine that it would be a bit of a slow burner, as the vast majority of the viewers would be converts already, but if Joe ManU sees it this week because there's nothing else on and thinks it wasn't bad, then sees it again in a month's time and enjoys it again, then maybe the next time his Bohs supporting mate tries to drag him to a game he might be better disposed to going along.

They cant really have an input into the programme bar the initial contract and debate on what it includes, and even then that is limited.

Advertising campaigns that hammer home a message that they don't have to choose between us and the Premiership would be another thing to look into.

Agree, but even so the one that they have right now, with eircom is great. It really sends home the message that the regular Joe is going to games, no conspiracy, no cult, its just a game of ball.

stann
05/07/2008, 12:00 PM
They cant really have an input into the programme bar the initial contract and debate on what it includes, and even then that is limited.

Yeah that's what I was getting at though. I don't know the duration of the deal that exists but they should look to keep it going on a long-term basis as it has the potential to be money well spent. To be fair, I don't think there needs to be much, if anything, changed in the content of the programme even if they did have an input into it.