PDA

View Full Version : My Bloody Valentine reformed

ken foree
01/07/2008, 7:29 PM
..and have played a few times, very loudly. well??!

stann
01/07/2008, 11:51 PM
Yes. Oh yes!

Though I thought they hadn't ever broken up but were just working on the follow-up to Loveless all this time. :D

Wolfie
02/07/2008, 7:48 AM
Yes. Oh yes!

Though I thought they hadn't ever broken up but were just working on the follow-up to Loveless all this time. :D

That's 17 years and counting!!! :D

Kevin Shields has always seemed an interesting character. He's apparently scrapped whole albums worth of attempted follow ups to "Loveless". His times of a less than healthy mental state have drawn comparisons with Brian Wilson and Syd Barrett.

It was rumoured they almost Bankrupted Creation records due to the extended period of recording that album.

Alan McGee (who signed Oasis) had signed MBV and promptly dropped them after Loveless.

One of the most original records I've ever heard. Dave Fannings Indie show gave the record a lot of attention at the time.

ken foree
02/07/2008, 8:56 PM
we can safely credit them with creating an entire sub-genre of guitar rock. a sound that just about pre-dated the popularity-explosion of the seattle/grunge phenomenon but a sound that could easily stand up to it, loud- and noise-wise. they have never been bettered at what they do, no one remotely comes close. there are some clips on youtube and the punters' phone mics are simply overloaded with the ferocity and volume. there is a fantastic review up on pitchfork media of a recent live show. the guy was blown away by the experience. great to have them back!

Wolfie
03/07/2008, 7:36 AM
we can safely credit them with creating an entire sub-genre of guitar rock. a sound that just about pre-dated the popularity-explosion of the seattle/grunge phenomenon but a sound that could easily stand up to it, loud- and noise-wise. they have never been bettered at what they do, no one remotely comes close. there are some clips on youtube and the punters' phone mics are simply overloaded with the ferocity and volume. there is a fantastic review up on pitchfork media of a recent live show. the guy was blown away by the experience. great to have them back!

They heavily influenced a lot of the "shoegazing" bands circa 1990 - 1992 - Ride, Slowdive, Chapterhouse but noone ever got near the sound of that last record.

ken foree
03/07/2008, 2:32 PM
funny i was on the bog only last night and read that shields and punk/poet patti smith are releasing a collaboration album soon. damn i would love to see MBV live, with earplugs of lead.