PDA

View Full Version : Neil Ahern - You Don't Know What You're Writing

GuisaSaigon
30/06/2008, 9:17 AM
http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/eircom-league/cahill-strike-piles-woe-on-kenna-1422468.html

No cold water, however, can take Kenna from the stark reality that faced him last night as chants of "You don't know what you're doing" rang into earshot.

Lazy reporting by Ahern and a slur on the name of United fans. If he had been paying attention or had an ounce of cop on he would know that these chants were aimed at Alan Kelly, who obviously never knows what he's doing, just like Neil Ahern.

Trainee
30/06/2008, 9:35 AM
http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/eircom-league/cahill-strike-piles-woe-on-kenna-1422468.html

Lazy reporting by Ahern and a slur on the name of United fans. If he had been paying attention or had an ounce of cop on he would know that these chants were aimed at Alan Kelly, who obviously never knows what he's doing, just like Neil Ahern.

What a load of bolax

Eire06
30/06/2008, 2:14 PM
Anyone who know anything about Irish football know Alan Kelly gets plenty of abuse from fans.
Stupid lazy journalism

Mr Maroon
30/06/2008, 2:52 PM

and there's no email address or any way to contact him about that article. :mad:

Mr Maroon
30/06/2008, 2:55 PM
Actually there is. I suggest evreyone complains about him via this page http://www.independent.ie/service/contact-us-24070.html

GuisaSaigon
30/06/2008, 3:02 PM
Did it this morning. Demanded a written apology:mad:

Gaillimh Al
30/06/2008, 5:53 PM
Might appreciate the locals a bit more now...:D

Paddyfield
30/06/2008, 7:02 PM
I thought the chants of:
"You don't know what you're doing"
were aimed at Neil Ahern in the pressbox.

pixiehead
01/07/2008, 12:03 AM
Did it this morning. Demanded a written apology:mad:

Ya I just sent it there too. If you scroll down it takes 2 mins. Please everybody take two mins to do this!! As Saigon says demand a written apology! Dont ignore this cr*ap piece of journalisim :mad:

gilberto_eire
01/07/2008, 1:33 AM
Which option?

''Letters to the editor'' for the Irish Independent?

Mr Maroon
01/07/2008, 1:56 AM
Which option?

''Letters to the editor'' for the Irish Independent?
scroll down to where it says "online - www.independent.ie".
Under that you can enter your, name, email address and your message.
http://www.independent.ie/service/contact-us-24070.html

Terry-Lander
01/07/2008, 7:39 AM
Actually there is. I suggest evreyone complains about him via this page http://www.independent.ie/service/contact-us-24070.html

Done!

Maroon 7
01/07/2008, 4:12 PM
Has he replied to anyone yet or is he taking the head in the sand approach?

Trainee
01/07/2008, 4:15 PM

No

What a joke of a paper has no preview league cup games tonight dosent mention it in its fixtures section

Mr Maroon
01/07/2008, 4:26 PM
No, nothing.

Mr Maroon
01/07/2008, 4:37 PM
What a joke of a paper has no preview league cup games tonight dosent mention it in its fixtures section
No but they do mention the FAI Cup quarter finals that are on tonight :rolleyes:

http://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/sport/soccer/fai-cup-quarterfinals-take-place-tonight-1424846.html

What a rag.

Terry-Lander
02/07/2008, 7:43 AM
<P>Apology received................"I apologise if I offended you as a Galway United Fan in my match report and hope that I did not damage the reputation of the generally very well respected fans of the club. It was certainly not my intention. What I was meerly trying to convey was the frustration which the fans on one side of the stadium showed in a chant, which I believed was aimed at the club in general in the wake of the recent problems there. In the rush of the busy match night however, this may have been understood by myself."</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>He also goes on to say that Alan Kelly had a good night etc. etc. etc.</P>

GuisaSaigon
02/07/2008, 9:39 AM
Apology from Neil Ahern.

Hello ______
Neil Ahern here from the Irish Independent. I have been forwarded on the email you sent to the newspaper regarding my match report last Friday night on the Galway United v Drogheda United match.

I must first apologise if I caused you offence and give you my word that this was never my intention. If, however, I did so I sincerely apologise. From what I understand an apology will be printed in the paper but I feel I should atone for my error personally. In the line that you stated I was merely trying to convey the frustration which the fans showed on the night, which I truthfully believed were being aimed towards the club in general, where there have been recent problems, rather than Alan Kelly or, for that matter, Jeff Kenna.

Unfortunately in the rush of the match-night, for which our reports must be filed as soon as the referee blows the final whistle, maybe this was misunderstood. I had seen a couple of incidents in which the referee received some shouts but did not personally believed any decisions were blatantly incorrect. In this case I believe it is, as often the case, a matter of opinion and I can only give mine.

If you believe I have darkened the name of Galway United fans, all of whom were very friendly and helpful to me on the night, I can only assure you it will not happen again and hope you will accept my apology. I also hope this has not tainted your veiws of the Irish Independent newspaper as they generally hold the highest standards in cases like these but unfortunately couldn't have done anything in these circumstances.

Regards,

Neil Ahern.

GuisaSaigon
02/07/2008, 10:47 AM
Fair play to him for responding. Everyone makes mistakes and he was big enough to admit making one. It might not be long before fans frustration's are aimed at the club, but Jeff Kenna can't be blamed for the current situation. The nonsense he has had to put up with from the club is unacceptable.

corbyeire
02/07/2008, 11:02 AM
fair play to him for getting back etc.

Patrick Dunne
02/07/2008, 12:04 PM
Neil Ahern also rang the chairperson of GUST this morning to apologise for
any inference in his report that chants of this nature were directed at Jeff Kenna.

At this stage, it is a case of apology accepted, case closed.

Mr Maroon
02/07/2008, 2:33 PM
Well done to the man for apologising to us. Case closed.

eamo1
02/07/2008, 10:46 PM
Between Breheny in the GAA section and this the indo is rapidly losing credibility IMO but at least Neil did admit it and appologise,fair play,case closed.

gilberto_eire
03/07/2008, 1:51 AM
Neil Ahern also rang the chairperson of GUST this morning to apologise for
any inference in his report that chants of this nature were directed at Jeff Kenna.

At this stage, it is a case of apology accepted, case closed.

Well done to the man for apologising to us. Case closed.

Between Breheny in the GAA section and this the indo is rapidly losing credibility IMO but at least Neil did admit it and appologise,fair play,case closed.

That phrase has been used more times then it would in a court room drama:D

pixiehead
03/07/2008, 2:25 AM
Hello Mark,

Neil Ahern here from the Irish Independent. I am writing in reply to an email I was forwarded in complaint of my recent match report on Galway United v Drogheda United. I sincerely apologise if this has offended you or anyone else. I realise now that the line you refer to was due to an error of judgement on a chant that had been made during the game.
I genuinely believed at the time that this chant was aimed at the club in general in light of the recent troubles behind the scenes but I did not believe they had been aimed at Jeff Kenna, who I know is backed fully by the Galway United support. I believed it was the frustration of the fans, on what have been tough times, boiling over but I can now see that I may have been wrong. Personally, I felt the referee had not made any major errors during the game but I realise this is a matter of opinion.
I can only hope you accept my apologies for this error and hope that this does not affect your opinion on the Irish Independent newspaper, who generally hold the highest standards in these situations but could not have done anything under these circumstances. I also hope Galway United will come out of this current situation as i believe a club from such a big and lively city, with a stadium like Terryland Park and great fans, do not belong where they are at the moment.

Yours sincerely,

Ya fair play. I actually think he replied to everone individualy!! Do you think we got him in trouble with the boss :D:o