PDA

View Full Version : Your sporting horror shows

padjoe
30/06/2008, 4:31 AM
I'm looking for a bit of empathy because last weekend i had a nightmare display in goals. I was beaten 5 times in two games. Arguably three i could do nothing about but another ricocheted off the post, hit my leg and went in. But the other one was just unbelievable. My team were cruising two nil up when a high ball came into the box, i delivered a loud call to be left for me but the ball bounced and went over my head hit the bar and the striker had an easy tap in. It was a bit embarrassing to say the least. It was worse two minutes later when the opposition equalised but thankfully we recovered and my team mates spared my blushes by ensuring we won 6-2. So that was my nightmare weekend but what horror shows, bad misses, dodgy keeping have you done in any sport?

OwlsFan
30/06/2008, 7:05 AM
I know what BobtheDrog will say for his but I have run myself out in the last 2 cricket games I've played. I had only done that previously 8 times in 24 years. Very frustrating.

Angus
30/06/2008, 7:26 AM
Captains Prize qualifying on Sunday.

I am off 17 so am competent wthout being stellar. Have been playing well, hitting it well and short game decent.

My biggest fear was having a good start because then the demons would start to persecute - sure enough 3 ahead of the card after 9 - 21 points on the front - and I spent the next 3 holes trying not to think about it that I forgot to play golf - disastrous back 9

D'oh

padjoe
01/07/2008, 3:52 AM
Has nobody else made a **** up....Giovanni Trapattoni and Declan Kidney will be making a host of new call ups because everyone is so good on this board.

Wolfie
01/07/2008, 7:55 AM
Has nobody else made a **** up....Giovanni Trapattoni and Declan Kidney will be making a host of new call ups because everyone is so good on this board.

Well, I played for Tolka Rovers as a teenager from the ages of 13 to 17.

While playing for Tolka's Under 15's - we had a big game against Home Farm and I was played out of position at right full.

I had a nightmare start. I was quite quick back then but I got skinned in the first two minutes which led to their winger chipping the keeper from 20 yards.

It got worse 10 minutes later when the man I was marking at a corner got away from me and scored a free header. :o

2 nil down and both my fault. I'm still traumatised. There was no comeback either - we lost 3 nil. :(

Everyone was "a mare" - and that was mine.

osarusan
01/07/2008, 10:01 AM
Stopped after 71 seconds of the first round of the final in the British and Irish University Boxing Championships. The ref just said to me "I don't want to see you get hurt, son", to which I replied "Neither do I".

Later that night they showed highlights of all the final bouts on a big screen, and I had to relive the misery. At least I wasn't knocked out, or even down.

Not really a horrorshow in the sense that I actually was happy to get to the final, and the other guy was just a far superior boxer, but still tough to take.

passinginterest
01/07/2008, 10:21 AM
I had a bit of a reputation for missing open goals as a schoolboy. Happened at least 3 times, open goals from less than six yards. The first was probably the worst as it was a local derby, I made a great run, went around the keeper, had a slightly tight angle but not too major, slipped a little and managed to send it wide of the far post. At that stage it was nil nil too! I did manage to redeem myself by chipping the keeper in the second half to put us 2-1 up and we won 4-2, no one ever remembers the lovely chip though, or me running over to their bench screaming "who's laughing now"!

Also had a goal disallowed for square ball in a a county minor hurling final. I had a bit of a hissy fit, threw my hurl to the ground and fell to my knees pleading with the ref, all this was caught on camera, as was the the incident a few minutes earlier when a stray dog chased me, biting at my ankles, as I soloed down the wing. It's fair to say that video makes funny viewing, at least we won.

Pauro 76
01/07/2008, 11:29 AM
Used to play 5 a side in London. Most amazing goal miss. Goal at my mercy but fell over and the ball deflected off my knee and hit the post. Got up and recovered, and struck. the ball hit the same post again. Gutted.

beautifulrock
01/07/2008, 11:38 AM
Used to play 5 a side in London. Most amazing goal miss. Goal at my mercy but fell over and the ball deflected off my knee and hit the post. Got up and recovered, and struck. the ball hit the same post again. Gutted.

Same craic Pauro, only in a 11 a side game in sunny North London. I was playing centre mid and was a kinda of a box to box type. Anyway, ball bouncing between the centre half and keeper in the "no mans land" close to the edge of the box, the strikers as usual had given it up but I followed in for the fumble and sure enough it came of the defenders shins and popped out past the keeper towards the goal. So an open goal and eveyone stranded I run on, the ball is going left of goal, so I side foot it into an empty goal, at least thats what should have happened. IT bobbled and bobbled and then hit the far post and bounced out. Red faced and have never lived it down. :mad:

Pauro 76
01/07/2008, 11:51 AM
Same craic Pauro, only in a 11 a side game in sunny North London. I was playing centre mid and was a kinda of a box to box type. Anyway, ball bouncing between the centre half and keeper in the "no mans land" close to the edge of the box, the strikers as usual had given it up but I followed in for the fumble and sure enough it came of the defenders shins and popped out past the keeper towards the goal. So an open goal and eveyone stranded I run on, the ball is going left of goal, so I side foot it into an empty goal, at least thats what should have happened. IT bobbled and bobbled and then hit the far post and bounced out. Red faced and have never lived it down. :mad:

Remember another game, this lad had set me up for 'special attention'. Fouls from the b@stard all over the place. After a particularly bad tackle on me, I shouted to the ref, 'what are you going to do about that now then eh?'. The ref said nothing. I confronted the guy. I was really wound up. i didnt want to punch and i wasnt sure what to do. So i just pushed him in the chest and walked away. He just laughed. Substituted for the rest of the game just in case. That said, shook his hand afterwards and we laughed about it. Funny how pent up rage hits you during a game and when the whistle blows, its grand.

Angus
01/07/2008, 12:14 PM
I had a trial for the Dublin minor GAA team years ago (along with half the country)

They put me in corner forward in a practice game and saw little of the ball.

Then the chance comes - big lump in from midfield - I nudge the corner back out of the way - it is going to bounce at chest height, I am going to catch it, shimmy past the full back and bury it

Then like a motorway pile up, it hits a mud patch bounces too low hits my knee and goes wide

....and that was the end of sweet Molly Malone

Ceirtlis
01/07/2008, 12:15 PM
I regularly embarresed myself at underage gaelic football. Worst was probably when i was given to the other team to make up their numbers and fell just as i was about to score an open goal against my own team.

monutdfc
01/07/2008, 12:35 PM
A junior B gaelic football match, I was playing in the full forward line. A ball is played through the middle, the opposition goalkeeper comes for it but I get there before him and palm it out of his path. The ball bounces between me and a team-mate. He leaves it for me. With loads of time and space, from the edge of the box (or large parallelogram if you prefer :)) I kick it towards the open goal but manage to put it over the bar.

At least we got a point for it.

superfrank
01/07/2008, 12:42 PM
At schoolboy level, I once conceded 30+ goals over 4 games in one particular bad patch.

Last year, I tried to go back to playing and, despite being a right-winger, I was put in at left-back. We were 4-0 down at half-time and at least three were my fault. I was subbed off and didn't start a game for them again.

inexile
01/07/2008, 1:59 PM
playing centre back for my club this year, in a cup semi final. 0-0 twenty minutes to go and we are on top, it seems just a matter of time before we get the goal. a big hoof up the field and i completely mis control the ball and the centre forward nips in and scores.
try and keep the head up, its only one goal and there is time.
defending a corner 2 minutes later i lose my man and he heads in at the front post, beaten 2-0.
2 minutes after that i get the hook!
still havent gotten over it

drummerboy
01/07/2008, 2:04 PM
I once lobbed my own keeper from the half way line. Bone hard pitch, ball bounced and I thought I give our keeper a touch. I can still feel the embarrassment of it.

Mr Maroon
01/07/2008, 2:42 PM
I managed to give a away a penalty and get concussed in one tangle of legs in the box. Not fun.

John83
01/07/2008, 2:45 PM
I remember a disaster in the Irish Schools U19 chess championships. There was no team from Connaught, so we were in as second in Leinster.

First round, we played Gonzaga, the other Leinster team. We figured it would be close, there wasn't that much between us, and we were so much better than the Munster and Ulster teams that this basically decided things. The league match had been a 3-2 defeat, I think, but this was out of six.

An hour in, we're a little better on three boards, a little worse on three. Two hours, still the same. We lose a game. Then another, and another. One of the guys who was better hangs a piece. Next thing I know, we're 5-0 down with just me left. I had a better position, but I was running out of time. 6-0. I've never been in a team so down about a result.

The next day we played the other two provinces. Gonzaga got 11.5/12. We got 12.

EDIT: Also, I once scored an OG past Pineapple Stu. Man, that was a **** 6-a-side team.

BobtheDrog
26/07/2008, 12:57 AM
scoring an own goal at schoolboy level sticks out on the football pitch, i found myself marking 2 players at a corner and when the ball somehow reached my feet i went to put it out for another corner, only to bury it in the bottom corner. the worst tho was what Owlsfan was refering to my terrible stat to the cricket season in which i was out for 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0 before finally making a few runs against civil service and their bohs brigade

Sheridan
26/07/2008, 1:12 AM
Debut in serious football (Under 9) against Tolka Rovers. Lost 16-0. I was the 'keeper. Some people said it was 13-0 but I took a certain perverse pride in correcting them.

Dodge
29/07/2008, 10:52 AM
Not on my own but myself and a friend played a round of golf for 14 holes before we ran out of balls. Him losing 1 or 2 more than me being the only saving grace

Hibs4Ever
29/07/2008, 11:13 AM
A recent game for DHL here in Prague. We drew 4-4 and all 4 goals the other team scored were my fault :(