PDA

View Full Version : Two Yellow Cards

Shelsman
27/08/2003, 12:42 PM
What the League/FAI should do is say to Shels and Sligo that the minute(s) when the Sligo player should have been off should be replayed with the scoreline as was at the time of sending off.

In that way Shels will probably not bother playing a couple of minutes and say Good Luck to Sligo ( I think Sligo had scored before the player got two yellows ).

It would be a fair decision and would mean that the cup can go on.

pete
27/08/2003, 1:26 PM
Now that would be a farce.

No replay, discipline ref, Sligo into 1/4 final.

Slash/ED
27/08/2003, 2:32 PM
Punish the ref for making a complete farce out of another match but let Sligo go through, in my opinion.

tiktok
27/08/2003, 5:09 PM
There's been a lot of back and forth on this on other boards (thankfully we've avoided it here).

Granted the ref made the mistake but i don't think you can set a precedent based on the timing of the sending off (i.e. a minute from time) which could later be applied to a situation where a team should have had a man sent off after thirty minutes.

i think the FAI should offer Shels a replay because the rules were broken, however given the circumstances i think Shels should then decline it down in the interests of sportsmanship (everyone admits the sending off would have had little effect and that sligo deserved their win).

That way, no silly precedents are put in place and Sligo progress, and everyone should be happy.

Dodge
27/08/2003, 5:16 PM
Originally posted by tiktok
That way, no silly precedents are put in place and Sligo progress, and everyone should be happy.
And if the same thing happens to Shels next year against, say Cork, and Cork do not decline the replay, Shels won't say "well we refused it last time..."

No replay, sanction the ref. There have been loads of wrong decisions and refs not applying the laws of the game. Nothing has been done and nor should it.

Fair play to Fenlon and all at Shels for saying there shouldn't be a replay

tiktok
27/08/2003, 5:36 PM
Originally posted by Dodge
And if the same thing happens to Shels next year against, say Cork, and Cork do not decline the replay, Shels won't say "well we refused it last time..."

:D fair enough. you probably have a good point.

i do think that not ordering a replay does set a precedent that is in contrast with the rules of the game though. this wasn't a wrong decision like a penalty not given or an onside goal disallowed though.

i meant to say earlier though i agree that the ref should get a serious rap on the knuckles for this.

TheRealRovers
27/08/2003, 8:18 PM
It's not our fault that the ref messed up punish the ref but not us. If the FAI make want a replay we just won't play it and if they kick us out we'll stop Shels from playing Galway take it to the high court or what ever it takes we're in the 1/4 final end of story

cfcgirl
27/08/2003, 9:11 PM
i say fair play to shels for not wanting a replay it was the refs fault but i think the sligo player should of said something

A face
27/08/2003, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by Slash/ED
Punish the ref for making a complete farce out of another match but let Sligo go through, in my opinion.

You are only saying that because you have so many games to play already and another wouldn't help your situation. :)

pete
28/08/2003, 9:55 AM
The referees decision is should be final. Its similar to the incident where 2 minutes or so not played at the cross - Ollie did not get a replay for that & shouldn't this time.

Shelsman
28/08/2003, 12:32 PM
:D fair enough. you probably have a good point.

True. Cork are stubborn enough as it is ( remember not turning up to play Bohs in Cobh a few years ago? ) but now that Dolan is in charge, any administrative decision at all that he doesn't like will cause yet another crisis in the league ( e.g. Marney affair ).

Cork are a real credit to the league on the pitch this year but I fear for the reputation of the league if Dolan goes ga-ga again.

pineapple stu
28/08/2003, 12:45 PM
Interesting article by Emmet Malone in the Irish Times on Tuesday - he said that in a UEFA competition, there's a precedent for two yellow cards giving rise to a replay, but in a game in America, the MLS decided that seeing as a game can't be replayed for the referee disallowing a goal - which could obviously make a difference to the final result - there's no reason why a game should be replayed for two yellows not being a red simply on the grounds that the other team could have won with the extra man. Seems sound enough logic really - surprising from the Yanks!

pete
28/08/2003, 1:34 PM
Originally posted by Shelsman
...but now that Dolan is in charge...

Pat Dolan is no more in charge of Cork City FC than Pat Fenlon is in charge of Shelbourne FC. Pat Dolan is just the 1st team manager of CCFC.

Éanna
28/08/2003, 5:47 PM
Originally posted by pete
Ollie did not get a replay for that & shouldn't this time.
well said. Shelsman, instead of talking about dolan going "ga-ga" get your own house in order first. Ollie Byrne is always looking for special treatment for shels; thats as if slapping opposing fans wasn't enough for him. I HATE shels

Dodge
29/08/2003, 8:26 AM
On TV3 last night they said that Shels were protesting "as a matter of principle"

Ollie is an absolute ****. I'm in no way suprosed they did it and neither am I surprosed they waited until after the euro game so as to not **** off the nuetrals. I don't thinkit worked, heard there was a **** crowd there last night.

Schumi
29/08/2003, 1:40 PM
Originally posted by Dodge
heard there was a **** crowd there last night. About 2,000 I think!

tiktok
29/08/2003, 4:59 PM
it has begun:rolleyes:

from www.unison.ie

Cup chaos looms as Reds lodge protest by Gerry McDermott

THE FAI Carlsberg Cup could be thrown into chaos after Shelbourne lodged a protest over the referee's failure to send off a Sligo Rovers player who had been shown the yellow card twice during last week's third round replay at Tolka Park.

Referee Dave McKeon showed the yellow card to Gareth Gorman for the second time just before the end of extra time, but the Sligo substitute stayed on the pitch as the visitors completed a shock 3-2 win.

The FAI's domestic committee decided on Wednesday that it couldn't act on the matter because no protest had been lodged.

Shels had written to the FAI asking that the meeting be brought forward to allow the club sufficient time before the deadline to consider whether they would protest or not.
However, the FAI went ahead with the meeting as scheduled and Shelbourne were informed of their decision shortly after 6.0pm.

That would have been too late to obtain a bank draft and send a registered letter before the midnight deadline, but Shels had taken the precaution of sending their protest in advance of the domestic committee's meeting.

Shelbourne chief executive Ollie Byrne said that they were extremely unhappy with the manner in which the FAI had handled the case. He pointed out that the association had made a decision last year to deduct St Patrick's Ath 15 points without a protest being lodged.

"We don't like this situation because football is won and lost on the pitch," said Byrne. "But at the end of the day the FAI could have grabbed the nettle and made a decision and we could have had the option of saying enough is enough and fair play to Sligo. "Regretfully we will now fight this all the way to FIFA if necessary. I and the club have great sympathy for Sligo but it is time the FAI learnt to treat people with respect and act in accordance with the rules."

Slash/ED
29/08/2003, 5:48 PM
Originally posted by Schumi
About 2,000 I think!

Around double that would be more realistic, not a great attendence for a European night by any means.

I honestly can't believe Shelbourne are appealing, against the wishes of their own fans and even their own manager.

tiktok
29/08/2003, 5:57 PM
Originally posted by Slash/ED
I honestly can't believe Shelbourne are appealing, against the wishes of their own fans and even their own manager.

Good to hear you say it Slash/ED, quick question, do you think it's about the cash or the 'principle', would they have appealed if they had gone through last night.

Slash/ED
29/08/2003, 6:26 PM
Good to hear you say it Slash/ED, quick question, do you think it's about the cash or the 'principle', would they have appealed if they had gone through last night.

I think it's all about the cash :(

The fact they waited until hours after the tie, so they'd know the outcome and not alienate potential non Shels paying customers before the match says it all for me, unfortunately.

TheRealRovers
29/08/2003, 6:40 PM
Ollie Byrne is a money grabing ******* just cause shells went out of europe last night he is protesting. fúck Ollie Byrne

Ref
29/08/2003, 11:00 PM
we will now fight this all the way to FIFA if necessary

thats really what the league needs after the pats and nine points fiasco.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

d13bohs
30/08/2003, 10:35 AM
1) beat Oily Byrne to death with cartons of smuggled cigarettes

2) Send McKeon to referee in Colombia, Argentina or Turkey and see how the fans react to his outrageous errors

The cup can then resume with Sligo through to play Galway in the quarter final and everyone is happy

liamon
03/09/2003, 9:43 AM
Heard on the radio this morning that there won't be a replay.
Despite hte appeal being upheld, Sligo get to go through to the next round, as Shels didn't request a replay as part of their objection.

pete
03/09/2003, 10:27 AM
FAI "decision" has effectively created a precedent for this - if it happens again & a club appeals asking for a replay they will get it.

quel surprise!

:rolleyes: