PDA

View Full Version : Who is going to give us more in the second half of the season?

Xlex
27/08/2003, 12:20 PM
I know Shane Barrett has been great so far this season, Alan Kirby, Barry and McGovern have had good innings, who would you like to see more out of in the second half of the season?

Brian Byrne is my choice, closely followed by Sean Francis

Macy
27/08/2003, 12:27 PM
I reckon Pip will come more into it now we're playing better football... He'd come on more if there was a decent midfielder in there instead of sheridan... How does he make the poll - Can't see how he can do in half a season which he hasn't been able to do since he joined.....

max power
27/08/2003, 1:17 PM
i know he was played out position the other night but i thought vinny did well, against ucd he played a fantastic pass for barrett to score, given the chance he has always done a job for the club and if he gets another couple of matchs under his belt i think he could do well in the centre of the park.

another choice would be sean francis. but only if he is paired with barrett, i think they play well together

Sinéad
27/08/2003, 1:28 PM
Bit of difference in who I'd like to see give us more and who, will in truth contribute more...

My hope is that Eric Levine will get back on track but he seems to have lost all faith in himself. Watching him the other night really opened my eyes to the fact that hes not at all in control of his game and keeps getting rid of the ball as soon as he gets it - not something we need our striker to be at!

How and ever its looking like Sean Francis has got my vote. He definetly seems to have got his game on track...

As for Shane Barrett - if paired with Francis - a good striking duo!

Xlex
27/08/2003, 2:43 PM
Originally posted by max power
i know he was played out position the other night but i thought vinny did well

he was played in centre midfield for most of it... He had a good game, however, neither Vinny or Sheridan are good enough for the middle...

max power
27/08/2003, 3:00 PM
vinny has red & black blood running through his body, even if he is not playing well he will still get the tackles in and do the best he can, i won't hear a bad word aginst vinny, if you ever hear a mad man in the stand in flancare shouting on hs own for vinny, that me. i was at it the other night too. vinny is the man !!!

darragh is not fit to tie vinnys boot laces, not that he would have the abality to anyway. he would miss a tackle , roar at the ref, give a bad pass and then tie the laces together out of frustration.

on a seperate point when is the next edition of one f in longford ???

Macy
27/08/2003, 3:05 PM
No one's doubting Vinny's committment, just his skill..... I have nothing but respect for Vinny, but I don't think he's good enough compared to the front and back.... Sheridan is just a waster...

De Town
27/08/2003, 3:08 PM
Couldn't agree more with you Macy. Vinny would be a great 1st division player. Although he's a good player to have in your squad in the premier.

drummer boy
27/08/2003, 3:10 PM
Max power we a know how comitted vinnie is and how much he loves to wear the red and black jersey and every time he does he gives 100% but whenit really comes down to it the skil just isnt there, i am a huge vinnie fan because of this drive and determination he has, i even have his name on my jersey.

Xlex
27/08/2003, 3:29 PM
I'm not doubting Vinny's determination, his commitment or his usefullness to Longford Town. He just doen't have the skill or sometimes the stamina to command a starting midfield berth in a team with a decent attacking line and a very good defensive line, against the better sides or midfield is goosed... We still need a midfielder and Keogh is as good as we need in there with a dominant midfielder... Tight pitches like Richmond park suit the guy...

So you can calm down with the "I won't hear a bad word said..."

max power
27/08/2003, 3:45 PM
you picked me up wrong, what i meant was, he always does his best and will play until he falls over, the skill you have is the skill you have, he does what he can and who can ever say vinny has don't anything wrong by the club on the pitch ??

can anyone call him a bad player ??

or that he doesn't put 100% effort in every game

that he pulls back from tackles ??

if you can let me know, that was what i meant, if all the players at the club had the same attitude and work rate that vinny had maybe we would be in an even better position.

does he sulk about being on the bench ?? when he comes on does he just walk about or does he do what he is paid to ???

he is a real pro and that is why i won't have a word said against him, not because he the best player on tne planet or that he is hard done by etc.

Xlex
27/08/2003, 3:54 PM
true, he puts his heart on his sleave...

BTW, do the three people think Lavine can rediscover his form, I think Francis has taken his chances when he's got them recently... he certainly looks like a great man to bring in late... and he's still top of the charts...

Macy
27/08/2003, 3:56 PM
we're simply saying he's not a good enough player for the current town team.... If I was picked I'd put in 100%, I'd still be sh!t.... Preferable to Sheridan, doesn't make him good enough....

Again all said with the upmost respect to Vinny as person and his committment to the club...

max power
27/08/2003, 4:06 PM
xlex agree with you about lavine, the problem is that he is playing bad and still getting his game, what insentive is there for him to improve ??? maybe if he was dropped for a few games it might wake him up and make him realise a first team place at our club has to be earned no matter who you are, plus as i've said before barrett and francis look a good strike force together, they complement each other

Xlex
27/08/2003, 4:18 PM
haven't seen Longford as much as I would have wished but Lavine still doesn't look like he is that interested... only a matter of time before Francis has to start firstly with Lavine and eventually with Barrett before he spits out the dummy and goes mental again. Francis is top of the scoring charts and he has played less than Lavine, maybe Barrett would laern more about finishing from Seanie too... Seanie might be slow and he might not be as hard a worker as we'd like but at the end of the day he's a good goal pocher and he record with rovers speaks for itself... Further to that, Matthews didn't personnally financially back his move without a belief in him... speaks volumes to me...

I also like the fact that Francis looks like he wants to avail of any opertunity to play and is not mearly happy to sit in the dug-out or bench and leach of the club in a fashion others have....

max power
27/08/2003, 4:25 PM
xlex would you be on about a certain man who enjoys traveling the globe in the name of his sick mother and dog and cat and aunt and cousin and neighbour and someone he met once in a night club ( but he was only in the club to see what it looked like inside and not to pull or get hammered ) !!!!

Xlex
27/08/2003, 4:27 PM
xlex would you be on about a certain man who enjoys traveling the globe in the name of his sick mother and dog and cat and aunt and cousin and neighbour and someone he met once in a night club ( but he was only in the club to see what it looked like inside and not to pull or get hammered ) !!!! not specifically to be honest... there's lots of bum players in every club... and one or two on stupid money at ours too...

sorbothegreek
28/08/2003, 12:23 AM
Lads, i know where your coming from with the whole Lavine thing, but i actually think the fella is playing good stuff at the moment. Fair enough he's a striker and a strikers job is to score goals. That granted, isn't happening for him at the moment. But with the Cup final aside, we've been scoring plenty of goals of late, and i'll be willing to say that Eric had some part to play in the majority of them.

Maz
28/08/2003, 5:50 PM
I agree Erics workrate has been very good in the last while and he has put Barrett through on more than one occasion...i think the goals will come!

Macy
02/09/2003, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by Macy
I reckon Pip will come more into it now we're playing better football
Everyone see Pip's excellent ball in? Not that I'm always right or anything.... :D

max power
02/09/2003, 11:15 AM
i think avery has done very well by leaving and allowing someone of use have the place he left in the squad

sorbothegreek
02/09/2003, 5:38 PM
Has ayone got a look at either of the two new lads at the back yet? Either of them play for the U21s'? Opinions?

Maz
04/09/2003, 8:03 PM
Saw both Paisley and Gartland play with the u-21s against Shels....to be honest neither were overly impressive but Paisley was not at the races at all! The only ones that looked like they wanted to win the game was Avery and Patrick Mulvihill....

martinho
13/09/2003, 12:11 PM
IMO Francis and Levine will improve dramactially as the season goes further, Levine was fierce unlucky to hit the post last week and at one stage he tracked back a bohs player back to the town peno box. That is commitment by the man himself. Francis has really come into his own over the last few weeks-4 goals in 5 games is phenomenal and I am expecting a hatrick from Francis as it is a long eight years since a Town player got a hATRICK.

THE NEXT FANZINE SHOULD BE OUT BY THE END OF THE SEASON. WE ARE IN THE PROCESS IN RECRUITING A NEW EDITOR. THE NEW ED WILL REVEAL HIS IDENTITY OVER THE NEXT FEW WEEKS i AM SURE.