PDA

View Full Version : Football Feeds

Pages : [1] 2

sligoman
06/08/2006, 9:52 PM
What's this forum for?:confused:

dahamsta
06/08/2006, 11:56 PM
It was empty when you posted, but if you look again you'll see stories from the FAI and UEFA websites, imported automatically via their RSS feeds (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSS_%28file_format%29). I'd welcome suggestion for other feeds, preferably with some relation to Irish football.

adam

el punter
07/08/2006, 10:28 AM
There is a BBC Northern Ireland Football Football feed which I subscribe to on my feedreader. It has plenty of Derry City news, and a good bit on the Irish League too.

RTE and Setanta also have good feeds but I don't think you can split them up to filter all the non-football news out.

tomsoc
07/08/2006, 10:54 AM
These are all the ones I know of:

http://newsrss.bbc.co.uk/rss/sportonline_world_edition/football/irish/rss.xml
http://www.rte.ie/rss/soccer.xml
http://www.derrycityfc.net/rss.php
http://www.waterford-united.ie/rss.php
http://www.irishfootballonline.com/rss.xml

drinkfeckarse
07/08/2006, 12:42 PM
Is it really necessary? You can always quote or show the link to a story whenever you start a new thread anyway in Worls Football / Ireland. Not sure it warranted a seperate area...

Dodge
07/08/2006, 1:09 PM
Feckin annoying for those of us who click "New Posts" too. Would think the Blog would be a better place for these rather than the forum

dahamsta
07/08/2006, 2:02 PM
drinkfeckarse, it's not necessary, but it is a way of bringing current news to the forum, rather than relying on users to go out and look for it and bring it back.

Dodge, I've disabled indexing of that forum, hopefully that will stop them appearing in New Posts. I could import them to the blog as just feeds, certainly, but then users wouldn't be able to comment on them.

Either way, it's an experiment, if people generally don't like it I'll kill it.

adam

John83
07/08/2006, 2:11 PM
Nice idea. You've fixed my only problem with them!

...I've disabled indexing of that forum, hopefully that will stop them appearing in New Posts. I could import them to the blog as just feeds, certainly, but then users wouldn't be able to comment on them...

The forum upgrade has been pretty cool so far. That multi-post quote is manna from heaven.

drinkfeckarse
07/08/2006, 2:42 PM
Speaking of multi qoute....how does this work? I'm assuming it does exactly what it says on the tin and lets you qoute numerous posts in one reply (something that I STILL haven't mastered) but when I click on it nothing happens. :confused:

John83
07/08/2006, 2:49 PM
Speaking of multi qoute....how does this work? I'm assuming it does exactly what it says on the tin and lets you qoute numerous posts in one reply (something that I STILL haven't mastered) but when I click on it nothing happens. :confused:
If you click on it for your post above this, then click the normal quote button on this post, you'll see it in action.

drinkfeckarse
07/08/2006, 2:52 PM
If you click on it for your post above this, then click the normal quote button on this post, you'll see it in action.

Like this...

drinkfeckarse
07/08/2006, 2:56 PM
Like this...

...I give up :o

John83
07/08/2006, 3:51 PM
Actually, it's not working in here for me either. Must be something about the support forum.

John83
07/08/2006, 3:57 PM
...I've disabled indexing of that forum, hopefully that will stop them appearing in New Posts...
Still seems to be happening.

fc hammer
07/08/2006, 11:44 PM
...I give up :o

So do i!

joema
08/08/2006, 1:40 AM
I like the new section - you should keep it IMO

but we all know its just a way for you to increase the post count :D

Btw I cant do that multi quote thing either

dahamsta
08/08/2006, 9:17 AM
Multi-quotes is working now.

De Town
08/08/2006, 9:46 AM
Don't like this Football Feeds section. No need for it IMHO.

pineapple stu
08/08/2006, 12:48 PM
New section's a good idea, I think. Anything that keeps me off the FAI website as much as possible is always welcome!

DmanDmythDledge
08/08/2006, 1:00 PM
Maybe you could have less content, like leaving out the stuff on Estonia and the likes.

pineapple stu
08/08/2006, 1:04 PM
I don't know - the small stuff's just as interesting, I think. Especially if a Faroe Islands update comes along!

Good form info for the foot.ie Euro 2008 predictions league too. ;)

dahamsta
08/08/2006, 1:24 PM
It's all or nothing unfortunately. in UEFA's case it seems to be more than that, I reckon their feed is badly developed because the forum is pulling in dupes. If it continues, I'll delete the feed.

Thanks for those tomsoc. I've added the RTE and BBC ones for the moment.

adam

sligoman
08/08/2006, 1:25 PM
Yeah some have been posted twice.

Dodge
08/08/2006, 1:32 PM
Very very little of the UEFA stuff (if any?) is Irish related anyway. Oha dn they're still being indexed

pete
08/08/2006, 5:13 PM
I don't mind the section as long they don't appear when i click New Posts.

Maz
09/08/2006, 11:55 AM
Yeah its annoying when I click new posts and there are pages of them

John83
09/08/2006, 3:29 PM
Yeah its annoying when I click new posts and there are pages of them
Actually, I'm kind of getting used to that. I just skim them, and a few are interesting.

dahamsta
10/08/2006, 7:38 PM
If you'd like to get New Posts without threads from the Feeds forum, bookmark the URL below. I'll post a poll on the default action in a couple weeks, if someone reminds me.

http://foot.ie/search.php?do=getnew&exclude=90

(You can exclude other forums by adding other forum id's there, separated by commas. Alternatively, you can only search a subset of forums by changing 'exclude' to 'include'.)

adam

pete
10/08/2006, 9:39 PM
Anything to drop Football Feeds from New Posts will be welcome as is a major hassle in the morning getting through all the pages.

De Town
10/08/2006, 11:51 PM
If you'd like to get New Posts without threads from the Feeds forum, bookmark the URL below. I'll post a poll on the default action in a couple weeks, if someone reminds me.

(You can exclude other forums by adding other forum id's there, separated by commas. Alternatively, you can only search a subset of forums by changing 'exclude' to 'include'.)

adam
How do you bookmark a link? :o

DmanDmythDledge
10/08/2006, 11:55 PM
How do you bookmark a link? :o
Just add it to your favourites.

dahamsta
11/08/2006, 12:21 AM
How do you bookmark a link? :oRight-click on it and click Add to Favorites (in Internet Explorer) or Bookmark This Link (in Firefox / Netscape / Mozilla). Don't ask me about other browsers, I don't use 'em.

adam

De Town
11/08/2006, 11:04 AM
Right-click on it and click Add to Favorites (in Internet Explorer) or Bookmark This Link (in Firefox / Netscape / Mozilla). Don't ask me about other browsers, I don't use 'em.

adam

Cheers.

Dodge
11/08/2006, 11:09 AM
Yeah, cheers for that adam

Schumi
11/08/2006, 11:39 AM
Anything to drop Football Feeds from New Posts will be welcome as is a major hassle in the morning getting through all the pages.

My solution was to go into the Football Feeds forum and click Forum Tools and Mark This Forum Read which got rid of them all from the New Posts list.

NeilMcD
11/08/2006, 3:05 PM
Does the Football feeds kill discussion in the World Football thread. Seems that there not as many news topics created in relation to world football in the last few days. Maby I am wrong just an observation

dahamsta
11/08/2006, 5:33 PM
Feed can be pushed into relevant forums, but in some examples that's going to be a pain in the arse; for example the FAI feed will have some eL stories and some Ireland stories. I was thinking of moving them into appropriate forums, but that'd be a full time job. One way around it would be for people to ask for relevant threads to be moved somewhere, just by posting in the thread and saying "Move this to [eL/WF/etc]", but how do we get the word out about that?

adam

John83
11/08/2006, 5:53 PM
...One way around it would be for people to ask for relevant threads to be moved somewhere, just by posting in the thread and saying "Move this to [eL/WF/etc]", but how do we get the word out about that?
Isn't there a forum announcement thingimy?

Anyway, if the mods (or at least those with appropriate permissions) just keep an eye on the feeds forum, they can have a look at anything that has a reply to it. If no one replies to a feed, leave it be.

thejollyrodger
26/08/2006, 7:43 PM
whats with all the football feeds ? Does that many feeds really need to be posted ?

Raheny Red
26/08/2006, 8:08 PM
whats with all the football feeds ? Does that many feeds really need to be posted ?

Well it's handy for lazy people like me! Don't have to look for the news as the news is brought to you. :) :cool: ;)

dahamsta
26/08/2006, 11:21 PM
whats with all the football feeds ? Does that many feeds really need to be posted ?If you don't want to see them, follow the instructions in post 28 in this thread.

mypost
08/09/2006, 4:00 PM
it is a way of bringing current news to the forum, rather than relying on users to go out and look for it and bring it back.

Either way, it's an experiment, if people generally don't like it I'll kill it.

Just had a flick through some of the threads, very few are viewed more than 10 times, and most of them are not replied to, so posters don't seem very interested.

Should you continue with the experiment, or even scale the number of threads down if posters aren't looking at them?

Closed Account 2
29/11/2006, 8:35 PM
Hi,

Just so you know, with some of the feeds from Uefa.com there are occasionally problems with international characters (letters) in the headline.

For instance the following:-

Keeper Zili? saves day...

As you can see the ć of Zilić is replaced with a [ ? ]

I dont think it's in anyway a significant problem, but just thought I should flag it having spotted it.

dahamsta
29/11/2006, 9:08 PM
Thanks cfdh_edmundo. The feeds are handled internally by vB so I don't have any direct control over it, but I'll report it. I may move the feeds into an aggregator anyway, they seem to be causing some confusion.

adam

GavinZac
02/12/2006, 5:54 PM
Thanks cfdh_edmundo. The feeds are handled internally by vB so I don't have any direct control over it, but I'll report it. I may move the feeds into an aggregator anyway, they seem to be causing some confusion.

adam

i reckon you'd be better off with the 'AboutToday' extension for vB, rather than vB's built in feed reader.

dublinred
28/12/2006, 12:26 PM
Is their anyway of blocking the football feeds todays posts ?

dahamsta
28/12/2006, 1:35 PM
http://foot.ie/showpost.php?p=513545&postcount=28

GavinZac
02/05/2007, 1:11 AM
Is there any chance you could get the new posts button to exclude the football feeds section? you just have to add "&exclude=90" to the link. Or even just adding this link to the drop down "quick links"/"tools" section?

While they can be interesting, they are usually just arranged in order of when they were posted anyway, inside the FF forum.

Dodge
02/05/2007, 7:54 AM

Bookmark this.

GavinZac
02/05/2007, 9:59 AM

Bookmark this.

i use computers in 4 different locations, one an office where we rotate around 40/50 computers.

just another brainwave there (takes a few hours for the next one to go through), could the feeds be offered in the form of an aggregated feed that people could read in their feed reader rather than into a forum?